• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
I like motion controls depending on the game, but here they feel far too loose and imprecise when combined with the auto-steering
I feel like using manual drifting with touch just means you ALWAYS drift. There's no good way to make small adjustments down a straightaway. Am I missing something?

Apr 21, 2018
I haven't lost a match all day and I'm not even very good at Mario Kart. Makes sense now that you are playing bots.

Mario Kart without multiplayer, what's even the point? Modern Nintendo sucks; Iwata wouldn't have put this out. Can't wait for one-handed gacha Smash Bros with no multiplayer.

2D Mario is getting its first online iteration ever in two months...

Although I agree Mario Kart mobile not being online is probably the biggest fail of the year.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Just thinking, since this game is all about racing AI ghosts modelled after real players, could the final game be getting super hard AI ghosts with rare kit equipped?

TurokTTZ

Oct 25, 2017
why did i turn off power saving mode? now I can play it no problem. surprisingly having a lot of fun on this beta. already got my favored luigi and my bruiser kart. cant really complain.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
Hit my first hard time gate for the first time. 30 mins until I can play again. Can someone explain to me the purpose of time gating? It seems really counter productive.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Right now I have nine races I haven't perfected (one in the cup I just unlocked, which I only got three stars on). I need five more stars to progress to the next cup, so I need to turn half of those four-star races into perfects.

This game gets punishing; you can say a lot of things about it, but it's not wanting for difficulty.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Looking at the new assets from that datamine, I think MK9 is in the works and MKT is kind of an in-between type of deal. I'm surprised how much new art and assets are in this.

Aww, and I just got the notification for the next cup a couple hours ago.

Super Mario Run had a bunch of things that have yet to be used anywhere else.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Looking at the new assets from that datamine, I think MK9 is in the works and MKT is kind of an in-between type of deal. I'm surprised how much new art and assets are in this.

That's a bomb shell. Thought they were calling it quits at 8.

Joeshabadoo

Jan 3, 2019
Can someone fully articulate what is involved with the manual drifting and gyro steering options once you turn off the racing arrow indicator? Is the tilting the sort where you subtly move the device to where the screen itself shifts slightly to be pointing to the left and right of your face, or where you keep the screen directly at you and rotate it clockwise/counterclockwise?
Manual drifting mean that you can sooner initiate a drift by using a second input after starting a turn?

OP
OP
Zippo

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017

Are there new renders we haven't seen?

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Why is this game using portrait mode?

It made sense in Mario Run because the levels were designed around it, and it was meant to be played one-handed. Here it just seems like a major shortfall. Is rotating your phone really so terrible?

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017

It made sense in Mario Run because the levels were designed around it, and it was meant to be played one-handed. Here it just seems like a major shortfall. Is rotating your phone really so terrible?
Nintendo wants you to play their games one handed. It's really not that awful, though for levels I don't know well with sharp turns it is a bit of a pain. Nothing you don't get used to quick enough.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
It's a shame that the datamining doesn't seem to be that fruitful. I was hoping for hints at courses beyond those available in the beta.

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
Was finally about to give it a shot and got hit with that maintenance screen... Sad way to start my work break D:

Deleted member 55822

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 10, 2019

Playing mobile game vertically is actually a design choice that many mobile games did. You have a much easier time holding phone vertically instead of horizontally. (You don't need to use two hands so it's more convenient)

And since some phones has longer horizontal side than normal phone. (like my Galaxy A9 2018) It's a bit more arkward to use it sideway to me. (Most of mobile games that I played are design with portrail mode, too.)

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
So this is surprisingly fun, but really just made me want to play MK8D. I think anyone with a Switch or even a 3DS with MK7 probably won't find much value with it, but for the casual audience that plays mobile I think this could be pretty big hit.

Oct 26, 2017
I was expecting it to be vertical after they updated a patent on a similar control method not too long ago that originated from the DS days.

Deleted member 3758

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

D7PKy7jXYAAP1Rp.png:large

Last edited:

Deleted member 18807

3. As for the actual premium currency, I'm only lvl 8 but it seems...sparse? Like it seems that you won't be getting emeralds from completing a cup and only from the stars you earn(counting from the gift page, you would get 170 total once you reach 340 stars or almost 4 10 pulls) or the challenges(if you complete the whole card)
That sounds an awful lot like FEH Orbs, and that's a terrible thing to say, because I stopped playing it just because they were too sparse and too necessary for the game flow. In FEH you won't get far if you don't improve your army, so you're required to gamble for pulls. At least in ACPC, Leaf Tickets are used pretty much only to save your time or get some fancy furniture, nothing game breaking.
I wish MK worked that way too but from your description, it looks like they're following FEH's formula more closely and you'll eventually reach a cup where the CPU is suddenly much faster than your regular kart, no matter how good you play. And boy, this is gonna suck.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
Playing mobile game vertically is actually a design choice that many mobile games did. You have a much easier time holding phone vertically instead of horizontally. (You don't need to use two hands so it's more convenient)

And since some phones has longer horizontal side than normal phone. (like my Galaxy A9 2018) It's a bit more arkward to use it sideway to me. (Most of mobile games that I played are design with portrail mode, too.)

Insert obligatory comment about Japan, subway riding and one handed mobile gaming.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
The more I read impressions here the more I go "meh"
Gacha crap again...

Nintendo has been leaning into the typical mobile design from day 1. They aren't interested in revolutionizing mobile gaming, but providing a revenue stream that makes them some money on mobile and draws people to their consoles and "real" games.

Until Nintendo stops making hardware, their mobile titles will continue to be mobile as hell in design.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This looks like shit, move over urban champion there might a new king of shit Nintendo games

Lan

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely hitting a progress wall around bowser/star cup, and not just from the 2 hours timers either. Stars start running out and 5 star is increasingly more difficult to earn. With tour unlocks at 20 star increments, at best you are at a 2 star deficit each tour. So challenges/badges become much more important to complete.

EDIT: This also means gems stop flowing around this time too, which gives you about two 10-pulls total.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo has been leaning into the typical mobile design from day 1. They aren't interested in revolutionizing mobile gaming, but providing a revenue stream that makes them some money on mobile and draws people to their consoles and "real" games.

Until Nintendo stops making hardware, their mobile titles will continue to be mobile as hell in design.

But at what point do you risk damaging the brand?

RobotHaus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mars University
Definitely hitting a progress wall around bowser/star cup, and not just from the 2 hours timers either. Stars start running out and 5 star is increasingly more difficult to earn. With tour unlocks at 20 star increments, at best you are at a 2 star deficit each tour. So challenges/badges become much more important to complete.

EDIT: This also means gems stop flowing around this time too, which gives you about two 10-pulls total.
Same, I can't stand Kalahari Desert and it's what's preventing me from getting a good amount of stars. That and 3DS Mario Circuit. Both seem to be done batten wasteland if you don't have a character for that stage.

Also, does anyone have any tips on the "hit 5 people with green shells" challenge? I feel like it's unobtainable for me.