• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
So I'm about 3 hours in, and I'm honestly loving the game. It's addicting and fun and I like upgrading every little thing.

HOWEVER, my biggest beef so far is the points system. It's really bugging me that you're almost penalized for getting 1st place. You get better items in 4th or 5th place, and you can rack up way more points by wrecking other racers than you can by placing high.

Also, does anyone have any tips on the "hit 5 people with green shells" challenge? I feel like it's unobtainable for me.
You probably need someone that can get 3 items so that you can Frenzy, and get lucky by getting green shells. That'd be the easiest way.

Deleted member 18807

But at what point do you risk damaging the brand?
Their core market is still happy with a Deluxe port of a last gen title, so I don't think this damages it in the slightliest. It's not the same case as SEGA, for instance, that damages Sonic's IP with bad console games at the same time that the well-received Sonic Runners mobile game was shut down.

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
Just started playing. I think the gyro controls are a must. It allows you to control your drifting more precisely.

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
The game tries really hard to keep you on the track. You can use that to your advantage to get more boosts from drifts and gather more points.

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
It's interesting that the goal is not even to get first place. That's just a means to an end. If you can get the amount of points you need without getting first place, then it doesn't really seem like it matters.

Also funny that you will get an item box simply by touching the spot where an item box is programmed to be. The actual item box doesn't matter, so you can't prevent others from getting items.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
TIL this is a thing

Holy shit, thank God this is in beta because I would have quit the game if this was in the final build. I hope they don't put it in.
I'm pretty sure there's frenzies for everything. I've gotten a few coin frenzies. I'm also 90% sure I saw a bullet bill go by with the rainbow effect, implying a bullet bill frenzy.

But the blue shell frenzy is something else. The blue shell spam combined with traveling on the ground almost feels like 10 seconds of MKW hacking chaos.

RobotHaus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mars University
I'm pretty sure there's frenzies for everything. I've gotten a few coin frenzies. I'm also 90% sure I saw a bullet bill go by with the rainbow effect, implying a bullet bill frenzy.

But the blue shell frenzy is something else. The blue shell spam combined with traveling on the ground almost feels like 10 seconds of MKW hacking chaos.

I got that once, but I still think there's nothing that makes you feel invincible quite like a boomerang frenzy. You're just a tornando rolling through EVERYTHING.

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
I don't completely understand why people think there's not going to be multiplayer. Why would they even implement a rank system for you and some AI? Why have titles if other people aren't going to see it in some capacity? It seems like a weird assumption for a game that's centered around a multiplayer experience.

Isn't it possible that they're simply testing with AI-only races at the moment?

From a more cynical/business perspective, putting players against each other would also make them spend more money on the gacha, the hearts, etc.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
The store ratings and reviews would show otherwise. Granted, Nintendo isn't likely putting up fake reviews like most mobile titles to boost their score.

That and the way they structured the pay. Now they're full-on gacha, etc., with their mobile titles.

I don't think Mario Run was anywhere near as successful as what they expected and it ticked tons of mobile users off. The game itself was fine, the package wasn't.

That's what I meant.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Waiting for the King Boo cup to unlock now, only four more cups to go in the tour after that. I'm just barely making progress by the skin of my teeth at this point, every grand star counts and the increased point requirements means getting five stars on a course is now entirely dependent on having ++ loadouts. It's also pretty hard to come by new characters and gear outside of the occasional tour gift because free emeralds have slowed to a crawl.

Lan

Oct 25, 2017
PROTIP: You can use the challenge in the DK Cup to grind out the destroy pipe badge.

RobotHaus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mars University
PROTIP: You can use the challenge in the DK Cup to grind out the destroy pipe badge.

I used Mario Circuit since I had a higher than usual amount of Mega Mushrooms, then I'd just drive through the 4 pipes.

The only challenge I have left is the 8000 pts with a mustached character. And the only option I have is Luigi on Luigi's Mansion. I swear there's a RNG for points since sometimes I'll get 8000+ with some characters, then ~3000 with the next race.

Sanchoco

Dec 3, 2018
It's nice that at 150cc and higher the points you earn when you reach 1st place increase with each win.

The grinding is real, took a while for me to get some 4 stars because the drivers I have only give me 1 item and the karts and gliders get no change as well(aka fuck Kalimari Desert).

RNGesus has forsaken me

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the more I play this, the more I like it. It's no main series replacement, but it's a pretty good way to kill time if I need to without my Switch for 15-30 minutes.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Hot damn...just saw like 7 Bowser shells pass me by because somebody got a frenzy. That was a kinda surreal moment.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I was watching a video online and it looks like there are 'reverse' versions of each course introduced at some point. Do you literally play each course from back to front, or is it just mirror mode?

EDIT: Wow, you actually do just do the courses from back to front! Probably explains why it seems like only some courses have 'Reverse' versions, as some courses are likely impossible backwards.

Last edited:

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I've played a little bit of it this morning. Seems like a competent mobile Mario Kart, honestly.

To be honest, I expected something a little crazier on mobile with all the secrecy surrounding this game. It seems to be gacha Mario Kart with heavy asset recycling from 7 and 8D, and simplified mechanics.
This is pretty much what I expected it to be, really. The only surprise to me is that it's played in portrait mode and not landscape.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The store ratings and reviews would show otherwise. Granted, Nintendo isn't likely putting up fake reviews like most mobile titles to boost their score.

That and the way they structured the pay. Now they're full-on gacha, etc., with their mobile titles.

I don't think Mario Run was anywhere near as successful as what they expected and it ticked tons of mobile users off. The game itself was fine, the package wasn't.

That's what I meant.
That's still not brand damaging. Predatory mechanics have a bigger chance at damaging the brand than a straight $10 price tag. Mario Kart's probably their biggest F2P mobile game yet in terms of recognition so poorly implemented monetization would cause more controversy than usual. Hell, loot boxes weren't that controversial until Star Wars was attached to them. A bad thing attached to something considered good is very brand damaging.

Last edited:

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Back to front with some minor changes. But it is fun. I could see this being implemented in future installments.
Interestingly, a Reverse Mode was planned as far back as Double Dash

In one of Double Dash's demos we have this, which is present alongside mirror mode so it wasn't necessarily replaced by it
MKDD_ReverseCupLogo.png

Complete with upsidedown trophies
MKDD_ReverseTrophyModel.png

The limited course selection combined with constantly redoing the same tracks in this might've caused them to revisit the idea to add more variety rather than just flipping the courses with mirror.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Interestingly, a Reverse Mode was planned as far back as Double Dash

In one of Double Dash's demos we have this, which is present alongside mirror mode so it wasn't necessarily replaced by it
MKDD_ReverseCupLogo.png

Complete with upsidedown trophies
MKDD_ReverseTrophyModel.png

The limited course selection combined with constantly redoing the same tracks in this might've caused them to revisit the idea to add more variety rather than just flipping the courses with mirror.

Wow this is mind-blowing, is there any footage of these Double Dash demos?

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Damn this sucks. I didn't get an email from them with a code. Anyone else on Android still waiting?

Did you get the initial email regarding you were selected and to wait for the followup instruction email?

It's not an email with a code. It's an email with instructions on how to access the closed beta and the link to click.

ChaosZeroX

Oct 26, 2017
Did you get the initial email regarding you were selected and to wait for the followup instruction email?

It's not an email with a code. It's an email with instructions on how to access the closed beta and the link to click.
Yes I got the first email earlier this week but, not the follow up email with the link. Thought it was a code.

edit - Nvm

I found it. I deleted for some reason.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017

Datamines are starting. Looks like the game base is the same s MK8 and have an equivalent texture / model quality.

TurokTTZ

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or is steering really difficult in this? wish they improve steering sooner rather than later.

also how does the ranking system work? I see you can get gems from it but my understanding from playing this so far is that ive been up against bots only. is the ranking collecting points from other beta testers or is it all bots?

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully that guy won't need to bother porting the karts...

Nintendo please, let me pay to have these in 8 Deluxe.
MK8's dlc should have had more classic karts instead of just the B Dasher (DLC) & Koopa Clown (DX)

I feel like they think the bdasher is more iconic and distinctive than it actually is, even if it is on MKDS' cover

Sanchoco

Dec 3, 2018
Is it just me or is steering really difficult in this? wish they improve steering sooner rather than later.

also how does the ranking system work? I see you can get gems from it but my understanding from playing this so far is that ive been up against bots only. is the ranking collecting points from other beta testers or is it all bots?

I'm curious about this right now, so on mine it says I'm number 1

In any case, it adds the total amount of points you've earned from the 3 races in that cup(meaning, after unlocking the leaderboard, you have to race in those courses again). After the event ends you are given emeralds based on the rank you are given.

MoogleMaestro

Oct 25, 2017
No online multiplayer?

I'm sure this will still be successful because, you know, Mario + Mobile and all that. However, I'm just not sure this really appeals in the same way they want it to. They could have at the very least provided some local multiplayer options but I guess that ship has sailed.

I'd be curious to see some footage, all of the Youtube footage has been shut down.

Feb 1, 2018
Texas
Ah man, knowing there's no online against real players is a gigantic bummer. I get WHY they did it that way logistically, but it's still disappointing.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
But at what point do you risk damaging the brand?

This is my feeling. Who is going to buy a Switch to play Mario Kart when they already played Mario Kart on their phone, and discovered it was actually crap?

Mario Run at least made it quite clear that it was not full fledged Mario. (It was also a legitimately great game in its own right, albeit short)

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That's what I meant.

You mean they're full on gacha... on markets that accept those mechanism? Pretty much all of their games on mobile have the majority of the revenue coming from Japan, which unlike the west, don't have such complaints about it. Even here this isn't that big on a backlash but still has it's detractors, which in Japan and Asia in general, that don't bother them.

Which is why they'll use it normally as that's the way to make money on the market as people don't like to pay for the full thing in comparison.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
It is definitely disappointing that the game doesn't have real online against others. Just bots using usernames that others (I'm guesing) use.

I hope it was more Nintendo deciding to close off real online matchmaking for now because the code wasn't ready and not that it won't be in the game. If anything they should introduce a mode for challenging others

Sanchoco

Dec 3, 2018
I'm just now noticing that Blue Shells will switch to whoever is 1st place before it decides to land

I was in 1st when the blue shell was flying around me expecting to get hit again only for a Luigi to get in front of me and have the blue shell land on him instead.

RobotHaus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mars University
This is my feeling. Who is going to buy a Switch to play Mario Kart when they already played Mario Kart on their phone, and discovered it was actually crap?

Mario Run at least made it quite clear that it was not full fledged Mario. (It was also a legitimately great game in its own right, albeit short)

These aren't complete versions of their console counterparts. If anything the mobile Nintendo games have made me want to play the console versions more.