• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TysonOfTime

Oct 27, 2017
At 345 Stars, all cups unlocked, and all but the 6,000 points with a Character wearing Pink, and I really have no clue if I'm gonna carry over to the full release. If it stays like this, it feels like it's not rewarding enough for the grind, especially when you hit a wall due to bad gacha pulls. Compare this to Dragalia, which is the opposite in that almost any character regardless of rarity can be used in almost all content, the rigidity of the system makes progressing more of a chore IMO.

Minor gripes like one challenge being purely gacha dependent, somewhat low rate of Emerald progress, fighting with controls, and just general Mario Kart BS while trying to get a lucky run... it's really just more frustration than it's worth.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, that "character wearing pink" requirement soured me on the game more than I expected.

Maybe if you got gems for each individual challenge it would be less impactful, but missing out on 10 emeralds just because I haven't been lucky enough to get Peach (a 1.5% chance if I remember right) is really crappy, especially when I have Baby Peach (which doesn't work).

Sanchoco

Dec 3, 2018
I just realized something, there's really no purpose for the n
Yeah, that "character wearing pink" requirement soured me on the game more than I expected.

Maybe if you got gems for each individual challenge it would be less impactful, but missing out on 10 emeralds just because I haven't been lucky enough to get Peach (a 1.5% chance if I remember right) is really crappy, especially when I have Baby Peach (which doesn't work).
Surprised it doesn't work with baby peach, I'm just lucky I have toadette(which does work)

out of curiosity, has everyone gotten an Ultra Rare every time they do a 10 pull?

Out of 4 10 pulls, I've gotten 0

Ometeotl

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So am I missing something or is there no way to boost off jumps without throwing your item?

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
It's weird, I know for a fact I get nothing for winning the cup this time yet I still really want to win it.

I'm in first with 27327, but somebody is nipping at my heels with 24884. Hope I hold out. I had an amazing Rainbow Road with baby Rosalina where I got 9968, and a really good Shy Guy Bazaar with Shy Guy where I got 9205.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
It's weird, I know for a fact I get nothing for winning the cup this time yet I still really want to win it.

I'm in first with 27327, but somebody is nipping at my heels with 24884. Hope I hold out. I had an amazing Rainbow Road with baby Rosalina where I got 9968, and a really good Shy Guy Bazaar with Shy Guy where I got 9205.
Damn! I've only barely pulled out a total of 26,914. I've been unable to break the 9K mark on either Luigi's Mansion or Shy Guy Bazaar.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
Something I haven't seen anyone mention, but it happened to me. On a course where I needed 6500 to get 5 stars early last week I scored 6499. The game just gave me the last point to push me over. Was very glad, it would have been so frustrating.

Sanchoco

Dec 3, 2018
Something I haven't seen anyone mention, but it happened to me. On a course where I needed 6500 to get 5 stars early last week I scored 6499. The game just gave me the last point to push me over. Was very glad, it would have been so frustrating.

I had the opposite happen. 6,499 and it didn't give me that extra bump, had to try multiple times before RNG kicked in and gave me well over what I needed lo

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
as the beta period draws to a close, I have three racetracks that I simply cannot get above three stars on, and 13 racetracks that I cannot exceed four stars on. it largely boils down to needing certain gacha unlocks, especially for three-item characters in particular courses so that I can rack up more item-use points. and with coin accumulation being so brutally slow, getting more karts/racers/items that way doesn't seem viable, at least with the economy in its current state.

I disliked Mario Kart Tour in my first-blush article. I've grown to loathe its "wouldn't you like more emeralds?!" thrust and how that stomps the fun out of the basic "race fast and react quickly to win" expectation I have from a Mario Kart game.

shame, because the speed and fluidity are top-notch stuff in this package.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
I had the opposite happen. 6,499 and it didn't give me that extra bump, had to try multiple times before RNG kicked in and gave me well over what I needed lo
It might have been 6999 getting bumped to 7k, but I'm sure I got the one point bump at some point. Maybe there's fractional points we don't see and I was above .5?

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
At 345 Stars, all cups unlocked, and all but the 6,000 points with a Character wearing Pink, and I really have no clue if I'm gonna carry over to the full release. If it stays like this, it feels like it's not rewarding enough for the grind, especially when you hit a wall due to bad gacha pulls. Compare this to Dragalia, which is the opposite in that almost any character regardless of rarity can be used in almost all content, the rigidity of the system makes progressing more of a chore IMO.

Minor gripes like one challenge being purely gacha dependent, somewhat low rate of Emerald progress, fighting with controls, and just general Mario Kart BS while trying to get a lucky run... it's really just more frustration than it's worth.

How many hours did you play?

Oct 29, 2017
This game deserves to do poorly. It's so weird that Nintendo's mobile offerings are like the opposite experience of what makes their console titles great. It's really pathetic that nintendo feels like they need to do this F2P nonsense in order to get people to buy play these mobile titles.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
How many hours did you play?
Is there an easy way to check this on android?

This game deserves to do poorly. It's so weird that Nintendo's mobile offerings are like the opposite experience of what makes their console titles great. It's really pathetic that nintendo feels like they need to do this F2P nonsense in order to get people to buy play these mobile titles.

Nah dude it's a fun score attack game which as-is would take two tours(four weeks) of playing a couple times a day to be able to have a 3 star driver on every course(worst case scenario, lots of people were able to get this in one)

jadedpony

Jun 4, 2019
Was anyone able to get the 300 horn hits challenge completed? I made it to the maximum 362 stars and completed all other challenges on the cards. I think that I completed each cup challenge too but I ended up falling asleep with 5 +5 hearts left last night as I was trying to complete anything that I thought that I had left.

I'm guessing that I got lucky with my pipe pulls because it seems that some on here had trouble getting five stars on some of the circuits. I never reset my progress though I thought about it seeing as I wasted some pulls with five emeralds initially instead of waiting on the 45 emerald pulls.

I ended up with:
24/30 Drivers
16/20 Karts
09/10 Gliders

I was in first in both league rankings but it looks like a couple of you guys had me beat pretty handily in your groups
21,418 1st week
23,922 2nd week

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Man, I was first place in a cup ranking, but won't be getting those 30 emeralds because it ended right when the beta did. :(

Hope the full game releases fairly quickly. I had a lot of fun with it even if the gotcha stuff screwed me a bit by jot having Peach to do that one challenge, or a 3 star character on all courses to get 5 stars.
I genuinely think Rainbow Road is impossible (at least in later cups) unless you have a 3 star character. It's just so short and you need 3 items each box to get enough points.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
I got all the stars from the cups & challenges and first place in both of my ranked cups. The second one ended up putting me in class 7 or whatever of the ranked cups. I wouldn't say the game is necessarily grindy as grinding doesn't really give you much. It's mostly about luck from both gacha and racing.

Sanchoco

Dec 3, 2018
I got all the stars from the cups & challenges and first place in both of my ranked cups. The second one ended up putting me in class 7 or whatever of the ranked cups. I wouldn't say the game is necessarily grindy as grinding doesn't really give you much. It's mostly about luck from both gacha and racing.

Yes, but if you don't got the right drivers then grinding and luck from racing is all you have until you are able to pull again.

5 pulls with 0 ultra rare anything(my luck stat IRL is low lol, metal Mario being my first after reaching 350 stars) and 1 item drivers for some races, I had to grind to get something and pray to RNGesus that I don't get destroyed by the other drivers. Grinding is a part of the game

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Yes, but if you don't got the right drivers then grinding and luck from racing is all you have until you are able to pull again.

5 pulls with 0 ultra rare anything(my luck stat IRL is low lol, metal Mario being my first after reaching 350 stars) and 1 item drivers for some races, I had to grind to get something and pray to RNGesus that I don't get destroyed by the other drivers. Grinding is a part of the game

I don't understand how you play the game. What are you grinding for? It'd take hundreds of races to grind a character or equipment to make a difference. I guess gold? Most the races you don't need the very best driver to 5 star, I would say the last 4 or so you do. But the real game will have 200cc to help balance that. How do you only have 5 pulls and 350 stars? I saved up for the 10 pulls each time and usually got at least one ultra rare. The only "grinding" I really did was to complete the challenges, but most of those were fairly easy.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
In the Beta feedback survey I specifically said there should be a way to grind for Emeralds beyond the challenges and gaining stars.

As it was in the beta, unless you got lucky and got all the characters you needed, you could easily hit a progress wall that either required you to grind a 2-star character/kart/umbrella high enough that you have a chance of getting 5-stars on a track without having 3 items to use.

I suggested that Emeralds be a drop you occasionally get from item boxes,or get some Emeralds from completing individual challenges, instead of getting a bunch once you do ALL of them (since some are impossible unless you have the right character).

Sanchoco

Dec 3, 2018
I don't understand how you play the game. What are you grinding for? It'd take hundreds of races to grind a character or equipment to make a difference. I guess gold? Most the races you don't need the very best driver to 5 star, I would say the last 4 or so you do. But the real game will have 200cc to help balance that. How do you only have 5 pulls and 350 stars? I saved up for the 10 pulls each time and usually got at least one ultra rare. The only "grinding" I really did was to complete the challenges, but most of those were fairly easy.

By 5 pulls I mean 5 10 pulls. 50 pulls without a single ultra rare. I got rare stuff but they were duplicates of ones I already had.

By no means am I implying I'm hating it but grinding does help when you don't have the necessary set up.

When I'm racing I either get 1st and possibly 0 items that could help me raise my score or because I can't get a frenzy(with either 1/2 item driver) I have to be a bit defensive so I don't lose my place which also doesn't help my score. My luck is really that bad in these games.

WIth 2 item drivers I have no issue but it's a grind.

With 1 item drivers the best you can do with luck is 4 stars. Otherwise you need a driver with 2 or 3 to do better...or grind heavily.

Last edited:

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
Was anyone able to get the 300 horn hits challenge completed? I made it to the maximum 362 stars and completed all other challenges on the cards. I think that I completed each cup challenge too but I ended up falling asleep with 5 +5 hearts left last night as I was trying to complete anything that I thought that I had left.

I'm guessing that I got lucky with my pipe pulls because it seems that some on here had trouble getting five stars on some of the circuits. I never reset my progress though I thought about it seeing as I wasted some pulls with five emeralds initially instead of waiting on the 45 emerald pulls.

I ended up with:
24/30 Drivers
16/20 Karts
09/10 Gliders

I was in first in both league rankings but it looks like a couple of you guys had me beat pretty handily in your groups
21,418 1st week
23,922 2nd week

My experience was the same as yours basically except I ended up with 21/30 drivers, 10/10 gliders, and 18/20 karts.

Got a couple of those on my last pulls from winning the second league

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
By 5 pulls I mean 5 10 pulls. 50 pulls without a single ultra rare. I got rare stuff but they were duplicates of ones I already had.

By no means am I implying I'm hating it but grinding does help when you don't have the necessary set up.

When I'm racing I either get 1st and possibly 0 items that could help me raise my score or because I can't get a frenzy(with either 1/2 item driver) I have to be a bit defensive so I don't lose my place which also doesn't help my score. My luck is really that bad in these games.

WIth 2 item drivers I have no issue but it's a grind.

With 1 item drivers the best you can do with luck is 4 stars. Otherwise you need a driver with 2 or 3 to do better...or grind heavily.

God damn its like your entire Mario Kart mobile career is a trick item box. I'm sorry you're cursed. You're just kind of forced to grind, which sucks as this game isn't really all that fun to grind because you are essentially grinding for one race in a cup at a time.

Also I don't care if you do hate on the game, I think it perverts what Mario Kart is about and is a disappointment so far. I just didn't understand your struggle at first.

Sanchoco

Dec 3, 2018
Man, low luck stat IRL trumps the gacha pool mechanic... I'm sorry for your troubles D:

Lol yeah...I do gacha games with friends. Initially I think I have luck when I finally get one SSR/UR/5 star and then my friends bring me back to reality and start raining down 5 stars like no tomorrow.

God damn its like your entire Mario Kart mobile career is a trick item box. I'm sorry you're cursed. You're just kind of forced to grind, which sucks as this game isn't really all that fun to grind because you are essentially grinding for one race in a cup at a time.

Also I don't care if you do hate on the game, I think it perverts what Mario Kart is about and is a disappointment so far. I just didn't understand your struggle at first.

I see, but yeah my luck sucks lol. This applies to my gacha gaming life. I still keep pushing on though lol

jadedpony

Jun 4, 2019
My experience was the same as yours basically except I ended up with 21/30 drivers, 10/10 gliders, and 18/20 karts.

Got a couple of those on my last pulls from winning the second league
Wait. There was time left after the league ranking ended, before the beta closed? Dammit. Well I had used the emeralds that I was saving to add to those 30 on hearts and single pulls anyway since I figured I'd get as many races in as I could before it closed.

Oh well. I honestly liked the game and wasted a lot of my free time playing when I'd normally just read articles on Google News or play Threes. I just hope that I don't like it so much that I end up using all of my Google Rewards credit on this game, haha.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
Wait. There was time left after the league ranking ended, before the beta closed? Dammit. Well I had used the emeralds that I was saving to add to those 30 on hearts and single pulls anyway since I figured I'd get as many races in as I could before it closed.

Oh well. I honestly liked the game and wasted a lot of my free time playing when I'd normally just read articles on Google News or play Threes. I just hope that I don't like it so much that I end up using all of my Google Rewards credit on this game, haha.
Yeah like 1 hour.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing from the beta gets carried over to the full game
Noooo... Well it's not that bad I guess.

Assuming they make some of the progression a little better I'll hopefully be able to get a lot more emeralds by the time I get all the cups unlocked.

I also won't waste any emeralds doing the 5 emerald Pipe draws and will always wait for me to have 45.

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
So uh... what's going on with this game? It's been completely silent since the beta ended.
I think Dr. Mario was always scheduled to come out first. This just had "Summer" for a release date.

We probably won't see it again until it's just about to release.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
as the beta period draws to a close, I have three racetracks that I simply cannot get above three stars on, and 13 racetracks that I cannot exceed four stars on. it largely boils down to needing certain gacha unlocks, especially for three-item characters in particular courses so that I can rack up more item-use points. and with coin accumulation being so brutally slow, getting more karts/racers/items that way doesn't seem viable, at least with the economy in its current state.

I disliked Mario Kart Tour in my first-blush article. I've grown to loathe its "wouldn't you like more emeralds?!" thrust and how that stomps the fun out of the basic "race fast and react quickly to win" expectation I have from a Mario Kart game.

shame, because the speed and fluidity are top-notch stuff in this package.
The actual gameplay was shockingly competent and fun (no actual multiplayer notwithstanding). I didn't think they could pull off one-handed Mario Kart and yet there it is.

It's wrapped in so many layers of the worst kind of gacha nonsense to warp it into something unenjoyable though. Letting monetization sink into your game design is always a disaster. It's like the design philosophy was the polar opposite of Mario Run.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at this from a distance, this game seems kind of pointless for those who already own Mario Kart 8. Like, Fire Emblem Heroes, Dr Mario World, and Mario Run all provide some unique experience, this looks more like a less interesting version of what's already there with invasive monetization. Are there any original courses?

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Looking at this from a distance, this game seems kind of pointless for those who already own Mario Kart 8. Like, Fire Emblem Heroes, Dr Mario World, and Mario Run all provide some unique experience, this looks more like a less interesting version of what's already there with invasive monetization. Are there any original courses?
I look at it as a Mario Kart game that I can always have available, since I always have my cell phone. Mario Kart 8 plays better and looks better, but I don't have my Switch with me when I'm out and about.
Obviously if I have my Switch on my I'd rather be playing MK8, but for a quick few races of MK on the go, this game is still a totally fun Mario Kart game. I think the 2 lap races are perfect for mobile as well, nice and quick when you have a minute or two free.

With a few exceptions, I actually didn't find the monetization hooks to be particularly "invasive" (pretty much just unlocking characters gocha style). And even the issues I had with the game during the beta might still get improved on in the final game (like I hope they offer more chances to earn gems in-game).
I liked the game enough during the beta that it might be one of the few F2P games where I don't feel bad about spending a few bucks in it.

I don't know if it has any original courses, but I know it does some tweaks to levels. I remember reading an article about how its Reverse courses are actually different than the usual mirrored levels in other MK games and tweaks are made to the levels to accommodate doing them in reverse.
As it's a mobile game and probably going to be very popular, it'll probably get a lot of content updates over the years too.