• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I feel like I'm playing bots.... Like just seems too easy right now. Just got level 3 so gonna try 100cc

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Just unlocked 100cc and the game already plays much better from a fun experience. Though it's making me don't how good 150 and 200 will play with touch controls.

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Also slightly bug on s10+ if you leave the app without force closing and go back to it no music. But of course it's a beta so there will be bugs

sammkoo

Mar 2, 2019
I don't think the game will be out that soon after beta, there is a lot of to work on IMO

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, I expected something a little crazier on mobile with all the secrecy surrounding this game. It seems to be gacha Mario Kart with heavy asset recycling from 7 and 8D, and simplified mechanics.
Honestly I think the secrecy behind this game was solely trying to figure out the monetization/user engagement.

Super Mario Run was great mechanically but had nothing for F2P players and limited spend to a single $10 transaction. Animal Crossing Pocket Camp on the other hand had smarter monetization but just... wasn't a fun or engaging game.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
On the technical side: game runs at 60fps pretty smoothly on my LG G7, there doesn't appear to be any options to adjust graphic settings that I can find.

I don't think the game will not be out that soon after beta, there is a lot of to work on IMO

Beta period is 2 weeks, and the game looks pretty feature complete and I haven't run into a single bug yet. I wouldn't expect it to take very long honestly.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand why it is vertical, but for a racing game which requires much more horizontal awareness than vertical, it's very strange. You can barely see what's ahead of you.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
I'm going to bed now, if anymore characters are discovered, I'll try and update the list later. (Unless someone else wants to do it.)

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
So, I have a few small questions for the people with Beta access:
  • How many cups does there seem to be from what you can see? That could give us a better estimate for the track count.
  • What is the full lineup for the first cup (Toad Cup?) assuming you've played enough to unlock them (or if you even can in the beta).
  • Is anything seemingly blocked off from access? Doesn't sound like it from the impressions so far.
I'm going to bed now, if anymore characters are discovered, I'll try and update the list later. (Unless someone else wants to do it.)
I'll be up for a few more hours, so I guess I can take character and course list making privileges.

For the people with the beta, here's the current list us poor people without access have:

Characters
  • Mario
  • Luigi
  • Peach
  • Daisy
  • Toad
  • Toadette
  • Rosalina
  • Waluigi
  • Donkey Kong
  • Koopa Troopa
  • Baby Mario
  • Baby Luigi
  • Baby Peach
  • Baby Daisy
  • Baby Rosalina
  • Metal Mario
  • Larry
  • Lemmy
  • Ludwig
  • Wendy
  • Morton
  • Iggy
  • Dry Bones
  • Dry Bowser
  • King Boo
Courses
  • SNES Choco Island 2
  • SNES Rainbow Road
  • GCN Dino Dino Jungle
  • DS Luigi's Mansion
  • 3DS Toad Circuit
  • 3DS Mario Circuit

Last edited:

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting that Nintendo is only going after Japanese people on Twitter. They aren't deleting western tweets with images from the game.

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
  • How many cups does there seem to be from what you can see? That could give us a better estimate for the track count.
  • What is the full lineup for the first cup (Toad Cup?) assuming you've played enough to unlock them (or if you even can in the beta).
  • Is anything seemingly blocked off from access? Doesn't sound like it from the impressions so far.

I'll be up for a few more hours, so I guess I can take character and course list making privileges.
First question is 16
Second question snes choco island 2, 3ds toad circuit, GameCube Dino Dino jungle,then a learn to boost test.
Third question 200cc and buying things are locked off.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California

For the people with the beta, here's the current list us poor people without access have:

So far the cups have been 3 races + 1 minigame/challenge. # of cups doesn't correspond to track count, however, since I've run into repeats - and mirror tracks are their own tracks, with mirror mode not being a universal option.

200CC is unavailable in the beta.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Stupid design choice: Time gating new circuits after you have enough stars to unlock them.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Manual drifting is a game changer in terms of kart feel and response. Gonna try the gyro controls.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
First question is 16
Second question snes choco island 2, 3ds toad circuit, GameCube Dino Dino jungle,then a learn to boost test.
Huh, interesting. From what other people have said, it seems like we'll get repeat tracks (Luigi's Mansion has a Mirror version, at the very least), so that could fill up the cups a lot.
So far the cups have been 3 races + 1 minigame/challenge. # of cups doesn't correspond to track count, however, since I've run into repeats - and mirror tracks are their own tracks, with mirror mode not being a universal option.
Ah, got it. Are the Mirror Tracks the only repeats, or do they just... repeat the regular tracks too? And do those minigames take place on already existing courses (assuming the answer there is yes)?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Game looks like it controls like crap, and it has character gatcha? Fastest skip I've ever seen.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
There's a start fresh option for the gacha stuff so you don't have to reinstall the app to get new pulls. That's neat.

Did the practice race, got Toad and Peach from my pulls.

Game looks like it controls like crap, and it has character gatcha? Fastest skip I've ever seen.

The slide option doesn't control great. Definitely feels off. Going to try the gyro.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Huh, interesting. From what other people have said, it seems like we'll get repeat tracks (Luigi's Mansion has a Mirror version, at the very least), so that could fill up the cups a lot.

Ah, got it. Are the Mirror Tracks the only repeats, or do they just... repeat the regular tracks too? And do those minigames take place on already existing courses (assuming the answer there is yes)?

The mirror tracks aren't the only repeats, no, and minigames do take place on existing courses.

roly82

Apr 2, 2019
Is there online? It seems too low on that gameplay video, I hope it will be a different story on 150cc and 200cc.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Manual drifting still king, but gyro feels like absolute garbage. Luckily I managed to win the race with it, but I'm keeping that off.

Okami

Oct 28, 2017
From twitter:

60657093_2346352688759364_7181832836771479552_o.jpg
61079069_2346353178759315_8361065500012183552_o.jpg

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Gacha is interesting... The pool is limited. That is, there are only so many items in it, so as you roll, your odds to get what you want increase.

ZDhKt75.jpg

The percentages even adjust to reflect that so you always know what your odds are. Gacha is still garbage, but at least this is less awful garbage.

2dQlHMH.jpg

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's fun! It controls well as it can on a touch screen and has all the regular MK trappings you'd expect.

Same start boost timing as MK8
You can drift and get miniboosts.
You can shoot items forward or backwards.

Items you save getting used automatically when you pick up a fresh item box is different for sure but we'll see how that works out.

The automatic movement with the controls reminds me of Kirby Air Ride a little.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Portrait instead of landscape is baffling here. Sad to hear it's going heavy on the gatcha stuff too.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Rates look similar to FEH, 3% focus,3% regular. I think I saw the only two URs are Rosalina and Silver Peach? Seems fitting lol

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Gacha is interesting... The pool is limited. That is, there are only so many items in it, so as you roll, your odds to get what you want increase.

ZDhKt75.jpg

The percentages even adjust to reflect that so you always know what your odds are. Gacha is still garbage, but at least this is less awful garbage.

2dQlHMH.jpg
Oh hey, King Boo confirmed! Gotta add that to the character/course list.

Characters
  • Mario
  • Luigi
  • Peach
  • Daisy
  • Toad
  • Toadette
  • Rosalina
  • Waluigi
  • Donkey Kong
  • Koopa Troopa
  • Baby Mario