• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
I don't want to decry the game without playing it. That said, the footage so far that I've seen looks bland and it really does just seem to be an inferior version of MK8. With a Switch available to me, I don't see what this game offers me. Perhaps the intended audience is people without a Switch.

In general it seems like an odd Nintendo franchise to do a mobile version of. And microtransactions in a kart racer is a weird concept.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Anybody played the Mario Kart Arcade games by Namco??

Reading the impressions, this sounds like it could also share a base with them.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Waiting for my code to get sent still, got an email saying I got in.

Edit: like a dumbass I totally skipped OP and am now downloading .

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How successful are they in comparison?

Probably a little in column A and B.

Point is, Nintendo chose to go straight hardcore gacha when there are other options. You have Minecraft, Pokemon GO, Fortnite, Stardew Valley, Brawl Stars (kinda lootboxy but not needed), Reigns, FNAF, etc. Honestly I don't think anyone here thought Nintendo would just start pumping out the most generic, typical mobile games when they entered the market. I figured they would be the new, more price friendly Supercell or something. I doubt most people on this forum would give Nintendo's mobile games another look if it didn't have a Mario / Animal Crossing / Fire Emblem skin.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'm having fun! It's simple and easy and kinda what I want in a mobile Mario Kart since 8 Deluxe on Switch satisfies my desire for "real" Kart. I suspect it'll get a little more intense at the higher speeds

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a pretty simple version control of Mario Kart. Like, its Mario Kart. Which is saying something. I can shake my phone, get a speed boost, use items. It's not some weird spinoff game, it's just a good looking, well made phone game.

Though it's hard to find a reason to play this version as I own a Switch, but I suppose this is for people without a one and or are away from their device and need a Mario Kart fix.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to decry the game without playing it. That said, the footage so far that I've seen looks bland and it really does just seem to be an inferior version of MK8. With a Switch available to me, I don't see what this game offers me. Perhaps the intended audience is people without a Switch.

In general it seems like an odd Nintendo franchise to do a mobile version of. And microtransactions in a kart racer is a weird concept.
I have my phone on me a lot more often than my Switch, and it's fun to race against people around the world. I see the merits of this mobile version.

RobotHaus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mars University
It's fun, but I always feel like I'm being hindered by the controls. I think this will go well with more casual players or as a nice way to waste some time. But for now the whole "So many races per hour" gameplay makes it less desirable to go back and play around with.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017

I mean, Nintendo stated from the start that their strategy with the mobile market was to introduce their IPs to new users and make them intereseted in trying the main entries of these ones. So, you are right about this being aimed at people without a Switch. They won't offer a better free to play product than the ones they ask your money for playing.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Using MKDS sound effects?

Smart I suppose, nostalgia for most people

Feb 1, 2018
Texas
So far I'm enjoying it. I tried gyro controls, but I found the swiping to be easier. So far, I've summoned Toad, Princess Peach and King Boo.

But yeah, game runs great. It's simplified, but that comes with the territory of mobile games. I'm not sure how I feel about the game being a gacha though. I guess it depends how generous they are with emeralds.

Last edited:

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's important to remember that the type of mobile monetization that resonates with hardcore gamers like those on Resetera are different than what resonated with casual gamers and a lot of gamers that spend a decent amount of time/money on mobile gaming.

Edit: another way to phrase it would be hardcore gamers versus mass market.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Gameplay looks pretty mediocre, don't know if I'll bother at all.

...this is going to make untold amounts of money despite that, isn't it?

Gassy_N0va

Oct 27, 2017
Got ultra rare Metal Mario from my first pipe, a good dopamine rush. Beat the first cup thus far, 50cc is painful and way too easy. I'll get some entertainment out of this until I inevitably get frustrated by bullshit Pay to Win mechanics

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fire Flower is nerfed - it's one toss, three fireballs in a fan formation. I prefer it, personally. Super Horn also seems to have less range than it used to; it's harder to blast other racers with it.

There's a ton of cups - 16, to be exact. Getting high scores in each is probably gonna give the game longevity.

The gacha doesn't seem that bad, imo. You don't need stacks of ultra rares to win, but there's enough of a spread of rewards that you can go into most courses with something on your side.

I think it's a mix of humans and bots in the matches, from my guess. Mostly bots, primarily. I'm fine with it - I can see how 8 humans on mobile connections could give it some trouble.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Played 20 minutes and it gives the impression of being a pretty good conversion of Mario Kart to phone, and I'm glad this is the path it's taken as I love the franchise and the idea of playing some Mario Kart almost anywhere with my phone. I'll continue to play and offer ongoing impressions, but I feel pretty pleased with this so far.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
It says I can't play Mario Kart Tour with the Nintendo Account I linked. Does anyone know why?

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Probably a little in column A and B.

Point is, Nintendo chose to go straight hardcore gacha when there are other options. You have Minecraft, Pokemon GO, Fortnite, Stardew Valley, Brawl Stars (kinda lootboxy but not needed), Reigns, FNAF, etc. Honestly I don't think anyone here thought Nintendo would just start pumping out the most generic, typical mobile games when they entered the market. I figured they would be the new, more price friendly Supercell or something. I doubt most people on this forum would give Nintendo's mobile games another look if it didn't have a Mario / Animal Crossing / Fire Emblem skin.
That's because we failed the Mario Run test, now it's going to be interesting to see how Zelda will be monetized.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I think it's important to remember that the type of mobile monetization that resonates with hardcore gamers like those on Resetera are different than what resonated with casual gamers and a lot of gamers that spend a decent amount of time/money on mobile gaming.

Edit: another way to phrase it would be hardcore gamers versus mass market.

There are two types of gamers, people who just share their opinion on what they like, and people who have to frame everything in business context.

Like, yeah, it might work out for Nintendo business wise. But most people don't care about that, these are just impressions of what we're comfortable with and we're among similar people here.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Looking at some gameplay vids, yeah this is gonna be a fine attempt at mobile Mario Kart. Its a closed beta, so of course its gonna be rough around the edges, but with proper support like Fire Emblem heroes, this can become massive. The 4th challenge in each cup is as close to a mission mode we are ever going to get to in Mario Kart again, and if future updates bring a full challenge mode, I'm sold.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
This is pretty good, a fun simplification of Mario Kart. Turned on manual drift and I fell into the rhythm of the game, and I feel the gacha stuff isn't too too bad since the game is so easy to play. I haven't felt gimped because I didn't have a character or Kart combo. I'll probably continue playing when it releases; easier to pull out my phone than my Switch in a pinch.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That's kind of an absurd statement. Just because it has gacha mechanics doesn't mean it is a bad game. Fire Emblem Heroes can be thoroughly enjoyed as a Fire Emblem-lite, which actually has really fun mechanics, without paying a dime and it has tons of content. You just can't binge it for 10 hours straight, which is always the crux of console players issues with mobile titles like these.

If it is a bad game, it's a bad game, but I don't think the target audience is the hardcore Mario Kart 8 crowd, it's mobile players they want to draw into the Nintendo ecosystem. The fact that it is gacha really shouldn't hinder your enjoyment unless you must have everything instantly and be able to play for hours at a time.
On a casual level, sure. But I question how many gacha games you've gotten seriously into if you think gacha mechanics are nothing. There's a reason why every gacha mobile message board has a distinction between F2P and those who pay money. The former always have it rough unless they're willing to grind.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
OK, I think I've finally figured this game out. A lot of people will look at the structure and go "PAY TO WIN!", but what they won't realize is that it's P2W in a way they don't even realize.

First off, getting first place in this game is not particularly difficult. I'm seven cups in and I've had little trouble taking the gold even on 150cc nearly every time. Getting first also ultimately means nothing in the grand scheme of things, there's no ranking system for winning races like in MK8D. What you actually want to do is get five gold stars on every race, because that's how you earn gifts. More characters and parts, more premium currency, and if you get the max amount of stars, you even get the special character and kart parts from the current tour's banner. Getting five stars can only be done by getting enough points in the race. Points are determined by your loadout, your placement, and what you actually do in the race.

So you have the loadout, which is determined by the sum of the base power of your character, kart, and glider at the start of the race. This can be enhanced by using them in races to slowly gain XP, or using tickets on them to get lots of XP at once. Then you have the placement bonus, which tops out when you reach first place. This number seems to increase slightly with every race you play - I've been doing 150cc races and the bonus for getting first started out at 2500, but has continually risen and is currently at 2627. Lastly you have the points for doing actions, and this is where the meat of your points come from. You get these from hitting dash panels, doing jump boosts, using mini-turbos, hitting players with items, etc.

This combined with the fact that getting first place is easy means that you do not want to play this like your average Mario Kart. Sitting in first holding a banana behind you is not helpful. What you want to be doing is hitting as many players with items as you can while doing as many mini-turbos as you can, along with using course-specific gimmicks like dash panels and jump boosts. This inherently gives a massive advantage to characters that can hold three items - not because it's easier to win, but because you can get way more points from hitting other players with all those extra items. I doubt it's even possible to get a five-star rank on certain courses without using a character who can spam lots of items. You also want good item luck from your kart parts so you'll get things that you can throw at people and not just measly coins that give you hardly any points at all.

So there's the big secret folks. It's not truly traditional Mario Kart, it's a secret score-attack game.

Last edited:

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
OK, I think I've finally figured this game out. A lot of people will look at the structure and go "PAY TO WIN!", but what they won't realize is that it's P2W in a way they don't even realize.

First off, getting first place in this game is not particularly difficult. I'm seven cups in and I've had little trouble taking the gold even on 150cc nearly every time. Getting first also ultimately means nothing in the grand scheme of things, there's no ranking system for winning races like in MK8D. What you actually want to do is get five gold stars on every race, because that's how you earn gifts. More characters and parts, more premium currency, and if you get the max amount of stars, you even get the special character and kart parts from the current tour's banner. Getting five stars can only be done by getting enough points in the race. Points are determined by your loadout, your placement, and what you actually do in the race.

So first off you have the loadout, which is determined by the sum of the base power of your character, kart, and glider at the start of the race. This can be enhanced by using them in races to slowly gain XP, or using tickets on them to get lots of XP at once. Then you have the placement bonus, which tops out when you reach first place. This number seems to increase slightly with every race you play - I've been doing 150cc races and the bonus for getting first started out at 2500, but has continually risen and is currently at 2627. Lastly you have the points for doing actions, and this is where the meat of your points come from. You get these from hitting dash panels, doing jump boosts, using mini-turbos, hitting players with items, etc.

This combined with the fact that getting first place is easy means that you do not want to play this like your average Mario Kart. Sitting in first holding a banana behind you is not helpful. What you want to be doing is hitting as many players with items as you can while doing as many mini-turbos as you can, along with using course-specific gimmicks like dash panels and jump boosts. This inherently gives a massive advantage to characters that can hold three items - not because it's easier to win, but because you can get way more points from hitting other players with all those extra items. I doubt it's even possible to get a five-star rank on certain courses without using a character who can spam lots of items.

So there's the big secret folks. It's not truly traditional Mario Kart, it's a secret score-attack game.
Score Attack Mario Kart actually sounds like a genius way to make it more arcade-like for the small burst nature of mobile, so if that's the thing to differentiate the game from traditional Mario Kart, then good job Nintendo.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Bummer that all of the tracks are reused. I was hoping this would be a little more ambitious.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

That actually sounds an awful lot like how mario kart Wii gave out rankings for each cup. The game had a (hidden) counter that determined your rank that increased with successful mini turbos, time in first, hitting people with items, and so on. I wonder how many people actually realised it was happening there though, given the hidden nature of the scoring there.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Seems there's no way to download this with Bluestacks (device not supported) even spoofing a supported device doesn't seem to work

Boo

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno man, I tried Super Mario Run, I tried AC Pocket Camp, I tried Fire Emblem Heroes.

All from series I adore, and they all felt like dead shells of the games I love. This seems to be more of that.

I want Nintendo to do something different. A proper game designed around modern smartphones, that isn't based on god-forsaken gatcha and mtx.

I want a return of N-Gage 2.0 (the service, not the device). There were actual good games at a reasonable, single-purchase price; Crash Racing, Metal Gear Solid, Reset Generation... That was the golden age of mobile gaming IMO.
You're never getting that.

Besides making money, the main aim of these mobile games is to get people interested so they eventually go pick up the "real deal" version on console.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
I even liked the Arcade Mario Karts, but this definitely isn't for me. Do we have confirmation this isn't at least being done by the main Mario Kart team?

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm seven cups in and I don't have Metal Mario, so I don't think you're guaranteed an ultra rare. Regular rare, maybe - I started with Toad and now have Luigi and Peach.