• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What should be the next event?

• Tokyo

Votes: 70 57.9%
  • Paris

Votes: 26 21.5%
  • London

Votes: 25 20.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 47092

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
I'm really enjoying this and I know I'm going to sub to the thingy too.

I got Peachette and Shy Guy for my first two pulls.

I fucking love Mario Kart.

TheAvatar

Nov 4, 2017
the controls are just really bad, like if im having trouble with it, i cant imagine how casuals are gonna do with it. you cant even stay straight

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
how big is the game btw?

Like all of Nintendo's mobile games, there's an initial download (200MB for this) then once you've done the practice, there's a 1GB download that downloads in-game. Then throughout the months there will be additional mandatory downloads after that.
Super Mario Run, Fire Emblem Heroes, Animal Crossing Pocket Camp, Dr. Mario World and Dragalia Lost are all like this.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Handling is terrible. You have to choose between only turning or only drifting, if I'm not mistaken. Drifting has advantages, but it's difficult to adjust the kart after exiting a turn. I'll give it some more time tomorrow.
Once you get in you can activate drifting with motion controls, which might be the proper way to go.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Okay, went ahead and gave it a few goes and I'm pleasantly surprised. Never mind the Gold Pass nonsense but this is kind of a passable Mario Kart experience. Controls are kind of garbage but I'm getting it.

Sloth

Nov 27, 2017
I had a quick go and I don't thinks it's for me. The controls are probably the best they could do using the touch screen, but it doesn't feel good to play.

Certainly not going to tempt me to pay $5 a month that's for sure. I guess they came up with the pricing model pre Apple arcade.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
He won't care as long as we have Mario lol

You want Mario? That makes 22 bucks please.

OqXOe6P.jpg

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I'd have rather had virtual stick. So far Mario gave me a much better first impression. I keep sliding in the opposite direction of where I want to go in. Would be nice if that could be inverted.

Dolorean

Sep 20, 2019
Honestly not bad once you turn off smart-steering and manual drifting. Definitely has the Mario Kart feeling.

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm having a better time after deactivating the smart steering and manual drifts just to get used to the game.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Smart steering is ass and manual drift needs a solution where you can activate it on your own at any time. Manual drifting even to position is horrible, and the auto drift activates it just before the corner straightens out, meaning you can't hit the 3x boost unless its a long ass corner. The game really needs a landscape mode to allow for a brake button for drifting or some sort of counter swipe to activate it.
Invisible walls is also such a boon, no falling on GCN Dino Dino Jungle felt so alienating. This is some how an on rails karting game. At least it performs well and looks great I guess.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Say what you will about the game itself but damn if the UI design isn't slick and the performance flawless on my Mi 8.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I deactivated everything, added gyro, manual, and tried the 150cc New York race and I kept bumping into every wall. I won somehow, but I don't think I understand how to play it.

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm confused. I played a race and I appear to be getting into a lobby with other players? Or is the game just faking it and pasting players' usernames on CPUs? Because if its not multiplayer it sure does give the illusion fairly well.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
i think the worry is that its going to be massive success, for like a day, and people start realizing it has no multilayer and will cause quite an uproar

Yep. Huge download numbers at first, but probably a weak staying power.
We'll see. Personnally, as much as I love Mario kart, this thing is totally a non event for me. I will probably download it, but I'm sure It won't stay long on my phone...

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Can someone post the gacha percentages? It's under shop and details. (German for me, wouldn't make sense) It's kinda like in Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Links, there are 100 things and you can get everything with 100 pulls, so you can empty the whole "tube".

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Yep. Huge download numbers at first, but probably a weak staying power.
We'll see. Personnally, as much as I love Mario kart, this thing is totally a non event for me. I will probably download it, but I'm sure It won't stay long on my phone...
I think the game will end up seeing a huge increase in numbers when mutliplayer is added in. That's what people want, and people will probably jump in when that happens.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm confused. I played a race and I appear to be getting into a lobby with other players? Or is the game just faking it and pasting players' usernames on CPUs? Because if its not multiplayer it sure does give the illusion fairly well.

Same question. Friend of mine just played a race in front of me, and the other racers had unconventional names for CPU AIs, including names written with Japanese characters. Even those the whole "searching for other players" thing. Are we sure there's no multiplayer? Or is it simply that we can't play MP with friends yet?

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the fact that you can' skip the intro makes it obvious they're bots. Most people will think you can only play with randoms and multiplayer will be with friends, but nah. What it's presumably doing is taking the stats of other players, you're basically playing with ghosts.

Lusamine

Oct 25, 2017
Same question. Friend of mine just played a race in front of me, and the other racers had unconventional names for CPU AIs, including names in Japanese characters. Are we sure there's no multiplayer? Or is it simply that we can't play MP with friends yet?
If there was actual multiplayer, they wouldn't be clumped up together so much as the race goes on.

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

I like the match 3 items to go into crazy mode mechanic.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
There's an option in-game to start over for those that want to reroll at the beginning.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Same question. Friend of mine just played a race in front of me, and the other racers had unconventional names for CPU AIs, including names written with Japanese characters. Even those the whole "searching for other players" thing. Are we sure there's no multiplayer? Or is it simply that we can't play MP with friends yet?

They're bots using real player data/character & kart selection.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If there was actual multiplayer, they wouldn't be clumped up together so much as the race goes on.

But everyone sucks at the game right now (heck, my friend and I even won the race), so it's not that surprising.

Are you saying they're literally simulating a MP race by fake-searching AI players and giving more original names? I mean, I could see it, especially if Nintendo is anticipating some backlash due to the lack of MP, but it strikes me as pretty cynical.

They're bots using real player data/character & kart selection.

Oooooh. I see. Makes sense. Still a bit manipulative if you ask me.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Played this a little during the beta and just played through the first two cups tonight... Forgot just how utterly unfun this is. Controls are awful and the point system for getting 5 stars in each race is stupid.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Tried it, seems fun. I'm a huge fan of the series and kinda good player so let's see if this clicks or not.

TheAvatar

Nov 4, 2017
I think Nintendo do needs to drop this fantasy of playing smart phone games with just one hand, this game is practically begging for a drift button the screen

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
But everyone sucks at the game right now (heck, my friend and I even won the race), so it's not that surprising.

Are you saying they're literally simulating a MP race by fake-searching AI players and giving more original names? I mean, I could see it, especially if Nintendo is anticipating some backlash due to the lack of MP, but it strikes me as pretty cynical.

Yes. They're bots.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
The gacha system is interesting, you basically have 100 items in the gacha (including the featured characters) and once you get all the characters from that pool (for example, you pull all 32 common drivers) you can't get any more. It's an approach that basically guarantees you all the featured items in 100 pulls.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017

Bots with actual player names is pretty standard for mobile games

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Really not feeling this. It's slow (even on 150cc), the controls are sluggish and it's just not fun.

I love Mario Kart. I do not love this.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
Gacha %s incoming from me....

This is actually not a bad system - seems to combine sparking system with the Emblem system from DL (only other Gacha I've played) so that the rate up character WILL be obtainable within 100 pulls, and then additional items only have a set amount to drop (hence the 9/9 etc. 25/26 was because I'd already pulled a Pipe Frame Kart)