• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What should be the next event?

• Tokyo

Votes: 70 57.9%
  • Paris

Votes: 26 21.5%
  • London

Votes: 25 20.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
At first I was kind of annoyed at the wait timers but now that the honeymoon period is over, I don't mind them at all since I like to play this for a little bit each day... but I like that I have enough quick tickets stockpiled that I can still go binge the rest of the cups if I want to.

I don't really get this game. Are we racing against real people? The usernames seem to indicate so. But I usually end up in 1st or 2nd at 150cc. It seems too easy? Many racers hold onto items far longer than human players would. I have finished 12 cups so far and have never not gotten 5 grand stars at the end of each one. I've seen a lot of complaining about the game online and feel like I am either missing something or am going to soon hit some impossible difficulty spike to trap me into spending real money.

You're racing against bots with human names. If the last tour is any indication you'll hit a bit of a difficulty spike around the last two cups due to high score requirements, but if you're completing all the challenges you'll probably still earn enough grand stars to get every gift by the end of the tour.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017

Guess the first two, judging by the name, will increase the score or skill points for your entire obtained gear/characters. Seem like obvious gold pass fodder, or "one time deal" stuff.

"Item Exchange" I'm not sure of. It'd have to be your other tickets to swap x for y maybe?

Red

Oct 26, 2017
You're racing against bots with human names. If the last tour is any indication you'll hit a bit of a difficulty spike around the last two cups due to high score requirements, but if you're completing all the challenges you'll probably still earn enough grand stars to get every gift by the end of the tour.
What are the main issues players have with the game? I recognize that the prices on items are steep. But it seems like you never need to pay real money. There is a low skill ceiling and there don't seem to be any walls that force you to use items you must buy. I don't think it's a great game but it's a reasonable approximation of Mario Kart on mobile.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What are the main issues players have with the game? I recognize that the prices on items are steep. But it seems like you never need to pay real money. There is a low skill ceiling and there don't seem to be any walls that force you to use items you must buy. I don't think it's a great game but it's a reasonable approximation of Mario Kart on mobile.
I think the main issue is that competing in the ranking is difficult without the right drivers/karts. Those who do pay for a sub or buy currency have more resources to pull or buy characters more frequently and have an easier time scoring points. The game is still fun to me, and I assume actual multiplayer won't be quite as bad in this regard.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

I've been playing since launch and have a love hate relationship with the game. I enjoy it because it's Mario Kart and after getting over the initial learning curve I like the controls well enough to stick with it. Getting 5 stars on the cups starts off easy enough but by the end of the tour unless you have the correct driver/kart/glider you'll be attempting to get 5 stars over and over again. Some end tour cups feel like they might be impossible to 5 star unless you're absolutely lucky. If you're content with just seeing all the content then you'll never feel the need to spend money. However if you want every reward possible you'll need to cough up dough. I already know I'll be spending $5 monthly to play this, as the amount of time I'm putting into the game makes me feel like I might as well. It's worth the investment because you gain so many more rewards than if you don't have the gold pass, so if you're already all in on the game I don't see passing up on that offer. Here's the other kicker though, if you're competitive you might feel the need to keep up with everyone on the leader boards. Each week a certain cup takes overall rankings into account and if you don't have the driver/kart/glider to get the highest of scores you'll be ranked pretty low. But what's ironic is the reward for being high on the leader boards are more in game currencies, which you would have either spent or bought to maintain your #1 leader board status. It's a viscous circle but it absolutely will get people to spend money on the game.

This is all before true multiplayer gets added so who knows what will happen at that point. I've personally spent $40 on the game already, mainly trading in the rubies(money bought currency), for coins (in game earned currency) so I can spend coins in the shop. The more drivers/karts/gliders I have the easier time I'll have getting full rewards down the road. So I feel compelled to spend to keep up with the game. It's pretty sneaky of the game to allow you to practically purchase coins in a round about way but it worked on me. I've played enough gatchas to avoid the loot box pipe pull in this as that slippery slope can make you burn money as fast as you can add funds to your wallet. So the game got me on the coin shop, it got me on the monthly sub and I fucking hate it for that as I'd SOOOOOOO much rather buy a new $60 Mario Kart. If you're completely happy with just racing each cup and not worried about collecting all the rewards then by all means you won't have to spend a cent. But if you're like me you'll be spending money in no time. I despise this type of monetization yet I roll with it every damn mobile game I play. I'm a sucker for it I guess even if I hate this aspect of the mobile game market.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017

I've seen plenty of people complaining about the monetization, but like you said, there's no reason to buy the absurdly priced character packs or premium currency. I get my money's worth out of the gold pass but you could easily play this game F2P without issue. I've also seen plenty of complaints about the controls, but considering I play almost exclusively with simple steering and have no trouble getting grand stars, I can't agree with them.

I think the main issue is that competing in the ranking is difficult without the right drivers/karts. Those who do pay for a sub or buy currency have more resources to pull or buy characters more frequently and have an easier time scoring points. The game is still fun to me, and I assume actual multiplayer won't be quite as bad in this regard.

Rankings in any gacha game are just there for big spenders to show off, it's best to simply place as high as you can without expending too much effort and let the whales fight over the top spots.

ffdgh

Oct 25, 2017
The Mushroom Kingdom

Guess the first two, judging by the name, will increase the score or skill points for your entire obtained gear/characters. Seem like obvious gold pass fodder, or "one time deal" stuff.

"Item Exchange" I'm not sure of. It'd have to be your other tickets to swap x for y maybe?

Really could use that skill up one all right about now to hit level 4.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Y1rDpCVl.jpg

I definitely fucks with this pull

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Honestly, as terrible as the pricing is for the microtransactions, I've felt 0 need to actually purchase anything. It could be due to the free Gold Pass trial, but all that I really want to do is just play Mario Kart and I can do that without needing to buy a single thing.

Of course, I'd still spend the gems and coins I earn, but I have no inclination to actually spend money to accumulate that.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Are you kidding me, there is yet another Tokyo Blur in the second to last cup.
Ugh, I can't do this race anymore.

Edit : this sum up the problem with this race pretty well.

d920ca50-d0d0-4ec3-86zlkis.png

Last edited:

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Wtf Nintendo the last cup also has Tokyo Blur, goddamn they want our wallet but I won't fall for this trap.

grosso_modo

Jun 8, 2018
Was cleaning my friend list max out, it's seems only 10 of 49 did not complete this week score cup. Also finally did horns cheevo.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Last edited:

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
It's so shit that all you get from going from lvl 21 to lvl 22 is a poxy 100 coins. Like what? It's such a grind.

How are people getting on with 200 wins? I think I'm around 100. It's going to take a long ass time.

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's so shit that all you get from going from lvl 21 to lvl 22 is a poxy 100 coins. Like what? It's such a grind.

How are people getting on with 200 wins? I think I'm around 100. It's going to take a long ass time.

Yeah I'm barely over 100 wins on that challenge. It probably won't even be done for me this tour.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Man this super horn challenge is so bullshit. Such a low chance of showing up, then when it does I can't slow down to be around others to use it. Probably the worst challenge yet imo.

jadedpony

Jun 4, 2019
I'm broke but my bae Rosalina appeared in the shop today. I'm thinking about playing Coin Rush so I can get the coins to buy her, I mean, If I use those coins for three pulls instead I'll surely get duplicates, but Idk... rubies are getting too valued now :/
I've been picking up every normal and super rarity driver this way more and more since they're guaranteed instead of hoping for them in a gacha pull.

I'm only missing Wendy and... over half of the high-end drivers, ha. Other than that though, my driver roster is full.
I've found the stars way easier to get this go around than last tour, honestly. Coming into this with a level 15 bonus and an assortment of leveled up drivers, karts & gliders makes everything 90% easier even without gacha/shop luck.
I agree. This tour I started at level 19 and have made it up to 22 so far but, that is with the gold pass free trial. I'm curious to know how bad the itch will have to get for me missing out on those gold pass rewards until I start wanting to subscribe again.
The lightning challenge is grinding my gears now to the point where I'm only surprised there's no MTX to buy lightning. I've never gone this long without getting any.
Completed the lightning challenge after three races on Kalimari Desert with various driver/kart combinations. I already had one under my belt through regular gameplay. Did it on 50cc and basically swerved back and forth attempting to stay in last. Found a shortcut on the left just after the start doing this which launched me into first :-|
Yeah I'm only at 69...
Okay, I see without Hakama Mario, I should stop trying to get those fourth and fifth stars, lol.

vtyibdV.jpg

shoyz

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I was ready to save all my gems for the eventual return of Link/AC/Splatoon, but an actual Halloween tour with only about 50 pulls saved up has me sweating. Too late to reroll a fresh start..

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I've been picking up every normal and super rarity driver this way more and more since they're guaranteed instead of hoping for them in a gacha pull.

I'm only missing Wendy and... over half of the high-end drivers, ha. Other than that though, my driver roster is full.

I agree. This tour I started at level 19 and have made it up to 22 so far but, that is with the gold pass free trial. I'm curious to know how bad the itch will have to get for me missing out on those gold pass rewards until I start wanting to subscribe again.

Completed the lightning challenge after three races on Kalimari Desert with various driver/kart combinations. I already had one under my belt through regular gameplay. Did it on 50cc and basically swerved back and forth attempting to stay in last. Found a shortcut on the left just after the start doing this which launched me into first :-|

Yeah I'm only at 69...

Okay, I see without Hakama Mario, I should stop trying to get those fourth and fifth stars, lol.

vtyibdV.jpg
That's a very good idea. I'm kinda worried about the next ranking cup because of that, it seems so far that the 1st one of the tour is either made up of bots or upranked new/casual players because I am 2/2 with the 1st week being piss easy compared to the hell of the 2ns week.

Nov 26, 2017
I find it very dumb that the game only allows you to level up your assets a certain amount and gain 300 coins every day. If you want to get a high-end character in the shop without ever touching coin rush, you'd have to play for 40 days in order to grind up for the 12k you'd need. It's a pointless limitation that only serves to emphasize the p2w factor.

mingo

Oct 25, 2017
London

I'm on 153 as of now. My trial is now over, I think I might spend a fiver for another month but will renew the day before the next tour begins so I can grab the remaining prizes and maximize the next tour.

shoyz

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I find it very dumb that the game only allows you to level up your assets a certain amount and gain 300 coins every day. If you want to get a high-end character in the shop without ever touching coin rush, you'd have to play for 40 days in order to grind up for the 12k you'd need. It's a pointless limitation that only serves to emphasize the p2w factor.
It's funny, I feel this point seems to divide players into two camps: those who have played a gacha, and those who haven't. 40 days of play coins is the base, but you can add to that all other sources of day by day gold (daily login, and tour gold, which is admittedy hugely skewed towards Gold Pass but what isn't?). By gacha standards, the ability to earn a top-tier character for free around once per month is traditionally insanely generous, just bad by Nintendo standards.
The bigger issue I'd say is the question of whether or not spotlight characters will ever rotate into the shop. We're likely to see Peachette show up as the Gold Pass freebie in the Paris tour, after which, I'm gonna predict they'll add a new standard set of shop rotaters to give away with the Gold Pass. To never be able to buy anything they don't give away for free anyways with the gold pass seems especially unfortunate.

jadedpony

Jun 4, 2019
That's a very good idea. I'm kinda worried about the next ranking cup because of that, it seems so far that the 1st one of the tour is either made up of bots or upranked new/casual players because I am 2/2 with the 1st week being piss easy compared to the hell of the 2ns week.
I was hesitant at first to do this as gacha is a good value if you hit on what you need but, if you don't, you're screwed. So instead of gambling with my rubies, I'm betting on the sure thing and basically stashing away my drivers for future ranked cups. I started to look at it this way, ~800 coins for 5 rubies buys me a normal rarity driver. If I stop seeing stuff in the shop that I don't have, I save my rubies as I had been doing before for a 10 pull if I can restrain myself, lol. And I will need to restrain myself so that I have a chance at future high-end spotlight characters which don't seem to end up in the shop.

Same, I've barely put time into this tour's first ranked cup but I'm prepared for a battle next week.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like i've been going at this score thing all wrong this entire time. I'm getting more points if I start slow, land some hits, and finish first than start boost and stay ahead. Single frenzy races from behind are matching my scores with 2 frenzies from the lead.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Man its super disheartening when the Tokyo courses all require you to have the premium Mario and Peach for Frenzy, and not them together. Most of the courses only have one or the other and noooo other characters. Like fuck off.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Oh, I just realized that my free trial for the Gold Pass will expire before I can claim the last prize of the tour. :<

I don't think it's worth it to pay $5 just for that. I think I'll just use Star Tickets to bridge the gap on the last day of my free trial.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
If you can get the bubble item at just the right times, I find that Baby Peach/Daisy can still score...okay on their rpesective tokyo course. I'm not going to be topping the chart next week but I was able ot 5* all the tokyo blur courses thus far and, hey, i';m at the top of the my ranking this week I guess.

RedNalgene

Oct 25, 2017
Found out today that using the horn will counteract a blue shell. Not sure if that is common knowledge but figured I'd mention it as it was a surprise to me.

MarkN

Oct 13, 2018
Anyone else have the issue of having a bunch of gifts to unlock but no more races to collect stars? I hit the peachette cup and now I have about 7 gifts to unlock with the last one requiring like 35 stars to unlock. I can only collect about 6 more stars from a few races I didnt 5 star. Wondering if thos is a bug?

maxxatom

Nov 6, 2017
Kansas City
Anyone else have the issue of having a bunch of gifts to unlock but no more races to collect stars? I hit the peachette cup and now I have about 7 gifts to unlock with the last one requiring like 35 stars to unlock. I can only collect about 6 more stars from a few races I didnt 5 star. Wondering if thos is a bug?

You can earn one star a day for the daily challenges, and the second set of challenges will add 15 more on Wednesday.

Godsent

Jan 11, 2019

There'll be another challenge board next week to add a dozen.

I guess you're not subscribed to the gold pass which comes with its own challenge board, that's probably mandatory to get all rewards of a tour..

Saicho

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny, I feel this point seems to divide players into two camps: those who have played a gacha, and those who haven't. 40 days of play coins is the base, but you can add to that all other sources of day by day gold (daily login, and tour gold, which is admittedy hugely skewed towards Gold Pass but what isn't?). By gacha standards, the ability to earn a top-tier character for free around once per month is traditionally insanely generous, just bad by Nintendo standards.
The bigger issue I'd say is the question of whether or not spotlight characters will ever rotate into the shop. We're likely to see Peachette show up as the Gold Pass freebie in the Paris tour, after which, I'm gonna predict they'll add a new standard set of shop rotaters to give away with the Gold Pass. To never be able to buy anything they don't give away for free anyways with the gold pass seems especially unfortunate.
I totally agree on this. To look at it another way, if I do coin rush 3 times with 10x each time, that's 75 rubies and that would guarantee me a high end character which cost me less than 20 pulls. That's insane value! So is 2000 for a super.

Also, for the monetization of the game, a lot of people were very critical when Gold Pass was announced along with the regular Gacha mechanism. However, I played the game for the last 3 weeks or so with 10 days of Gold Pass so far. I actually think Gold Pass makes so much sense and might continue sub to it for at least another month. You would get more rubies and better gift (high end driver/kart/glider) after getting enough stars. It's much better value than just buying the rubies.

Well rip gold sub until next Monday. 150cc is so slow.

This is also another thing about Gold Pass. People were saying unlock 200 c.c. with Gold Pass is a joke but you can really feel the difference between 150 c.c. and 200 c.c. The whole experience is different.

Man I hate the evil that is Nintendo. :(

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Also, for the monetization of the game, a lot of people were very critical when Gold Pass was announced along with the regular Gacha mechanism. However, I played the game for the last 3 weeks or so with 10 days of Gold Pass so far. I actually think Gold Pass makes so much sense and might continue sub to it for at least another month. You would get more rubies and better gift (high end driver/kart/glider) after getting enough stars. It's much better value than just buying the rubies.

So you pay more or even more to win ;)

I will not buy a single ruby and definitely no Gold Pass no matter what "value" it has, it's a mobile game where you can't drift or steer in the same race, come on.

jadedpony

Jun 4, 2019
The shop has been good to me this week. Wendy showed up so my roster is almost complete with all but four high-end drivers; Peachette, Pauline, Musician & Hakama Mario.

I used the glider challenge with Rosalina to harvest my 300 coins for the day quickly, lol.

MKJSYpr.png

U9zhaxn.png

This is also another thing about Gold Pass. People were saying unlock 200 c.c. with Gold Pass is a joke but you can really feel the difference between 150 c.c. and 200 c.c. The whole experience is different.
I purposely haven't used 200cc since I don't know when or if I'll re-sub to the gold pass. I'll admit I probably left points on the table but I've ranked first each week so far. Next week will probably be a struggle and the next tour even more difficult but we'll see. I can see myself subbing every so often to recharge my account, haha.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
That lightning oilpaper glider, good lord. If and when it does feature in a ranking cup as a favored glider for one of the tracks its gonna be the defacto make or break factor. I got 2 lightning frenzies in one race and came out 1st with 15k points thanks to it.