• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What should be the next event?

• Tokyo

Votes: 70 57.9%
  • Paris

Votes: 26 21.5%
  • London

Votes: 25 20.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kuroneko0509

Oct 25, 2017
Like all of Nintendo's mobile games, there's an initial download (200MB for this) then once you've done the practice, there's a 1GB download that downloads in-game. Then throughout the months there will be additional mandatory downloads after that.
Super Mario Run, Fire Emblem Heroes, Animal Crossing Pocket Camp, Dr. Mario World and Dragalia Lost are all like this.
welp was hoping it being under 1gb to check it w/o removing stuff on my phone lol

Pallo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I can't for the life of me figure out the controls.
So if I have manual drift enabled in the settings I'm basically locked into drifting without the option to do regular "smooth" turns?

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
The gacha system is interesting, you basically have 100 items in the gacha (including the featured characters) and once you get all the characters from that pool (for example, you pull all 32 common drivers) you can't get any more. It's an approach that basically guarantees you all the featured items in 100 pulls.
It's a new pipe every tour, though, so it resets every 2 weeks and 100 pulls is already an absurd amount of money.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
It's a new pipe every tour, though, so it resets every 2 weeks and 100 pulls is already an absurd amount of money.
actually, it seems it's every week, this week is pauline and next week is musician mario. I'm not saying it's not a lot, but it's a more interesting pity rate system than other games.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
I can't for the life of me figure out the controls.
So if I have manual drift enabled in the settings I'm basically locked into drifting without the option to do regular "smooth" turns?

This is what's getting to me too. There are gyro controls that you can enable as well but that felt really unresponsive for me. Plus I never tried gyro with manual drift enabled so I don't know if they work side by side or if gyro gets used for the drifting.

Oct 27, 2017
Man what a mess, I was pretty hyped by this too before realizing it had no multiplayer. Controls aren't too hot either.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
The prices are hardcore tho, you can't even buy one single pull with the 3 rubies, lol.

ZR6yKsy.jpg

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah so all this is doing for me is making me want is another Mario Kart 8 expansion lmao

Nintendo please, I wanna play Pauline and all these sick tracks on my Switch :<

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I always forget that part of the mario kart experience is starting out in 50cc and feeling like you're driving 5 miles per hour like a grandma

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I always forget that part of the mario kart experience is starting out in 50cc and feeling like you're driving 5 miles per hour like a grandma
Ok what's the deal with this, I had 150cc unlocked from the get go (with a pop up saying it's recommended for experienced players), and my sister only had 50cc.

Is it to do with whether it's an old or new Nintendo account or something?

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Game is pretty fun, been playing for an hour now and still having a good time. For free, I really can't complain, if you're too pissed off by the monetisation, just don't spend anything. Mobile games are almost never played for long so here's hoping this shows Nintendo that people want more proper Mario Kart games.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Played for a solid hour, but i'll give it a rest for now.

It's fun, but until they add actual multiplayer (hopefully with friends; that's another worry) I can easily see it getting very repetitious after awhile.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Man, the game is really stingy with the premium currency. Like, not even every progression gift box gives you some, and then half of them have it locked behind the gold pass, and they don't even give enough for one pull.
Will how quick these tours are rotating it looks like an insane grind to collect every character. Guess it was expected from a gacha though.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Think I'll be rerolling till I get at least 1 special character, the first tour is short enough for it.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Didn't realise there was no multiplayer and holy shit those gem prices are absurd

Also didn't realise this was a gacha. My own fault for not paying attention

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Unlike Dr. Mario which has Gold pulls, this'll straight up be impossible here, won't it?
Yeah probably.

Considering how often they're going to have to keep adding characters to this, I wonder what new depths of character variations we're going to see.

Like just at launch we already have Mario, Baby Mario, Metal Mario, and Musician Mario lol.

JonathanEx

Oct 25, 2017
Well, controls being awful and needing messing around with in the settings is great first impressions isn't it. Suspect I'll bounce off this one quite quickly.

Don't think any of their mobile games stuck for me. Dr Mario was the closest, but it felt at times such a crapshoot of chance of what you get, and not very generous on ways to play on, so you do a few goes on one stuck level, run out of lives, go ahh fuck this, close the app and gradually forget to go back.

Them being tricky to play offline (hello Tube) never helps.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Played the first couple of cups and I'm not really feeling it. Wish I could pair up a controller or something.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I actually enjoy Dr. Mario World more than Mario Kart Tour. That game at least had gameplay that worked, and it introduced some unique mechanics to the formula.

Concelhaut

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
Just downloaded it. Drift controls are so hard. The default is so much easier for me now. Tried tilt controls and it's weird when you only have portrait mode. Also they suck

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I deactivated all the control options in the settings. Drift only is a terrible way to play this game, especially when you can still get mini turbos for making sharp turns in the normal control method.

Also I was lucky enough to pull Musician Mario! He has pretty cool animations!

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
For anyone who's pulled Pauline, or the other featured stuff, is there a special animation when you fire the pipe?

DodgeAnon

Oct 25, 2017
Just had one race (outside of the tutorial) online and won.

The graphics and presentation are nice, but man it controls so poorly. It's a shame really as I was looking forward to it.

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For anyone who's pulled Pauline, or the other featured stuff, is there a special animation when you fire the pipe?

I pulled Musician Mario and the Taxi Flyer.

There were 2 special animations. One where the pipe is golden rather than green, signifying it would be a good pull. The second, the ball of light ends up having a power star thrown in to make it stronger.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
No heart/life system anymore? Where's the catch?

eX6VueI.jpg

"You reached your limit for today"

No more upgrades anymore for today....

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
I pulled Musician Mario and the Taxi Flyer.

There were 2 special animations. One where the pipe is golden rather than green, signifying it would be a good pull. The second, the ball of light ends up having a power star thrown in to make it stronger.
I pulled a Super Rare glider, and the pipe was gold instead of the regular green.
Interesting, thanks.

Has anyone gotten a featured item without a special animation?

Nov 3, 2017
I was worried because of Nintendo's silence about the game and the feedback from the closed beta testers but I'm honestly having such a fun time with this.

Can someone explain how the game works though? Am I just racing against bots with the names of real Nintendo accounts or is it ghost data...? How does it work?

Dolorean

Sep 20, 2019
It is actually growing on me once switched to better control settings and getting a hang of it...

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Was having issues with the controls but once I turned off smart steering I started having a better time. Unfortunately, this runs like shit on my 5S so I'm probably just gonna uninstall it.