• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What should be the next event?

• Tokyo

Votes: 70 57.9%
  • Paris

Votes: 26 21.5%
  • London

Votes: 25 20.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've been incredibly lucky at pulling the tour gifts in this pipe! Got all three spotlight items, and even Hakama Mario showed up!

Hakama Mario's special item is amazing at just instantly putting you into a huge combo.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
As a Dev that's made a Kart style racing game, what do you think of Mario Kart Tour?
Outside of the limitations of the control scheme, I'm really happy with the gameplay loop, specifically the combo system, T track versions and extra challenges (like bomb # goombas, etc). I mentioned it before, but I really hope they implement them into the main series because it's nice having that extra layer.

Last edited:

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so you're saying there's only TWO High-End characters in the pipe? The Spotlight plus one other. The Spotlight has a 1.3% chance and the other has a 0.3% chance. If you draw both of them then there's no more High-End until next week with the new Spotlight?

As I've already drawn Kimono Peach, I've still got one more High-End character left in the pipe, but it's only a 0.3% chance of drawing it. As I want Hakama Mario, my odds of drawing him slightly increase next week as he becomes the Spotlight character.

EDIT: In addition, if I empty my pipe of all Super and Normal items, then can I ONLY get High-End items with my remaining pulls, regardless of the appearance rate?? Does that 0.3% chance now increase as the remaining alternatives are gone?

So looking at my 'Quantity By Rarity' section, I've still got a total of 70 Super & Normal items that can come out of the pipe. Once I've drawn all of them then I can only draw High-Ends next. I've got 74 pulls left on the pipe.

Yeah the chances go up as you pull more. The chances are calculated based on the remaining items on the pipe, you can see this by checking details for your pipe before and after every pull. For example I havent pull anything from my pipe and i have the spotlight as a round 1% chance. If i were to pull 10 and not get kimono peach then i would see a higher chance for her, 1/90 of pullinh instead of 1/100. Another example is that last week when i pulled pauline, the chances for the spotlight character dropped to 0, as in 0/90.

Reseting the pipe makes it so the pipe is full again, so you can pull the spotlight character once more this week BUT its back to 1/100 or 1% chances.

jadedpony

Jun 4, 2019
Bowser Jr. showed in the shop so I spent rubies on coin rush for the first time since doing it to fulfill the challenge requirement.

I'll have only myself to blame if I can't place first or at least do well in the ranked cup this week since that gives me all three favored drivers.

Last edited:

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
ZtuPV2R.jpg

Wow at least they were new characters at least

Mr. Blue Sky

Oct 25, 2017
Morton's actually probably the best of the Kooplings right now as he's tier 3 for one of the cup tracks and can be used to complete the big banana and three haired driver challenge.

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really want Bowser Jr. so I can bolster my Neo Bowser City score in the league this week. No luck on the pipe so I will just wait to see if he ends up in the store.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I bought Morton in the shop after passing on Lakitu yesterday. Seemed more bang for the buck, since he also had the big banana and was the frenzy driver on Kalimari desert which pairs nicely with the weekly leaderboard. I can just keep fishing there for 7k while boosting my score.
Also meant I could buy the lightning oil paper

It's a good thing the shop got an overhaul from the beta, pulls are too infrequent and you're going to have gaps without it.

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Earned enough skip tickets that I was able to play the cups ahead of time to earn Dry Bowser! I hope this is a sign that Peachette is the gold pass reward next tour. Saw her in the shop but decided to save my coins since I figured it would happen.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Earned enough skip tickets that I was able to play the cups ahead of time to earn Dry Bowser! I hope this is a sign that Peachette is the gold pass reward next tour. Saw her in the shop but decided to save my coins since I figured it would happen.
Okay, so far people have had Peachette & Dry Bowser in the shop. Have any other High-End characters appeared in the shop?

CyberMonkey

Jun 20, 2019
I got Bowser Jr in the store, but I'm still having trouble getting a high score on Neo Bowser City. Hard to keep a combo going.

mingo

Oct 25, 2017
London
Managed to smash out a 10+k score on Neo Bowser City without Bowser JR. Sitting on 26k total. Seems no one in my league is playing though. Next person is on 15k. Fingers crossed to get top spot lol

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so far people have had Peachette & Dry Bowser in the shop. Have any other High-End characters appeared in the shop?
I've seen Metal Mario

No one saw Pauline or Muscian Mario so I am assuming none of the temproary characters, karts or gliders show up.

Peacehtte in the next tour makes sense, but now I'm starting to think the gold pass bonus characters will just be Metal Mario, Dry Bowser & Peachette on loop forever. Probably the same set of recolored bonus karts too.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen Metal Mario

No one saw Pauline or Muscian Mario so I am assuming none of the temproary characters, karts or gliders show up.

Peacehtte in the next tour makes sense, but now I'm starting to think the gold pass bonus characters will just be Metal Mario, Dry Bowser & Peachette on loop forever. Probably the same set of recolored bonus karts too.
Yeah they'll probably not put the spotlight characters in shop

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen Metal Mario

I think any of the "regular" high ends will be added as rewards. So if King Boo is a high end when he gets added, I could see him on the rotation.

But yeah, no tour specific characters.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I think any of the "regular" high ends will be added as rewards. So if King Boo is a high end when he gets added, I could see him on the rotation.

But yeah, no tour specific characters.
After Rosalina got added as a super, despite being High-End in the beta, I think King Boo will also be a super. I'm not sure the game wants to add new permanent high ends at this juncture. STill early days, though, so we'll see

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Here's some roster prediction stuff. Give me yalls thoughts!!

NORMAL

vets

- Paratroopa

Newcomers
- Any generic Mario enemy
- Spewart
- Rango
- Topper
- Harriet
- Sprixie (Can even make separate colors)
- Baby Wario
- Baby Waluigi

Super

Vets

- Birdo
- Wiggler
- Waluigi
- King Boo
- Honey Queen

Newcomers
- Madame Broode
- Cappy
- Tiara
- Dixie Kong

High End/Spotlight

Vets

- Funky Kong
- Petey Piranha
- ROB
- Pink Gold Peach

Newcomers
- Any New alt costume I guess
- King Bob-omb
- Gooigi
- Cosmic Spirit (That Rosalina looking guide from Galaxy 2)
- any other Metal variant they add

Im assuming they want to pad out the lower stuff. So I put less unique newcomers at high end despite Pauline so idk. Bumped King Boo down given what they did with Rosalina, so I made some other unconfirmed vets follow suit. Funky though I could see being Dry Bowser tier as they were the two hardest unlocks in MKW.

Petey im 50/50 on

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
After Lakitu I'm not so sure all the Bowser minions will be commons. It could be though Lakitu was given special honors due to his role in the series being the iconic flagman.

For returning vets, I'd guess Wiggler would at least be a super. Paratroopa could go either way, he fits in better with commons, but is a vet who was also MIA for a huge time. They may give him special honors for his return and make him a super.

For the other missing vets, I could see Petey, Honey Queen, DK Jr., Funky, and ROB all being high ends. (Though this depends on King Boo's rarity somewhat) Birdo would definitely be a super since she's a regular Mario cast member like Diddy Kong.

ffdgh

Oct 25, 2017
The Mushroom Kingdom

NORMAL

vets

- Paratroopa

Newcomers
- Spewart
- Rango
- Topper
- Harriet
- Baby Wario
- Baby Waluigi

Super

Vets

- Birdo
- Wiggler
- Waluigi
- King Boo
- Honey Queen

Newcomers
- Madame Broode
- Cappy
- Tiara
- Dixie Kong

High End/Spotlight

Vets

- Funky Kong
- Petey Piranha
- ROB
- Pink Gold Peach

Newcomers

Im assuming they want to pad out the lower stuff. So I put less unique newcomers at high end despite Pauline so idk. Bumped King Boo down given what they did with Rosalina, so I made some other unconfirmed vets follow suit. Funky though I could see being Dry Bowser tier as they were the two hardest unlocks in MKW.

Petey im 50/50 on
I think Kamek has a shot after being considered in mk64 and recently mk8.
MarioKart8-KamekEmblem.png

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
After Lakitu I'm not so sure all the Bowser minions will be commons. It could be though Lakitu was given special honors due to his role in the series being the iconic flagman.

For returning vets, I'd guess Wiggler would at least be a super. Paratroopa could go either way, he fits in better with commons, but is a vet who was also MIA for a huge time. They may give him special honors for his return and make him a super.

For the other missing vets, I could see Petey, Honey Queen, DK Jr., Funky, and ROB all being high ends. (Though this depends on King Boo's rarity somewhat) Birdo would definitely be a super since she's a regular Mario cast member like Diddy Kong.
Yeah, after they bumped Rosalina down from the beta I'm curious to see what happens with King Boo

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can see King Boo being a high-end, if only beacause they're going to run out of high ends to give out in the gold pass after the next tour since only Peachette is left. Though I suppose Gooigi could be high end instead.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
I finally got around to playing this, am I missing something here or are the manual drift controls like bonkers? I basically have to drift for every single turn right?

How do I just turn slightly to correct my position on a straight road or if I exit a drift turn too crooked, or to get behind other karts to aim items, or to take short cuts without having to do a hard drift turn?

I tried using gyro steering but it's so delayed and requires like turning my phone so much just for like a 2 degree in-game movement it feels like it's broke. And on a vertical oriented game it's retarded having to wildly turn your phone so much.

I feel like I'm fighting the controls more than anything, nothing that I try feels good.

I'm on an iPhone 11 btw.

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I finally got around to playing this, am I missing something here or are the manual drift controls like bonkers? I basically have to drift for every single turn right?

How do I just turn slightly to correct my position on a straight road or if I exit a drift turn too crooked, or to get behind other karts to aim items, or to take short cuts without having to do a hard drift turn?

I tried using gyro steering but it's so delayed and requires like turning my phone so much just for like a 2 degree in-game movement it feels like it's broke. And on a vertical oriented game it's retarded having to wildly turn your phone so much.

I feel like I'm fighting the controls more than anything, nothing that I try feels good.

I'm on an iPhone 11 btw.

I gave up on the manual drift controls and went with simple. I really haven't struggled progressing in the game much at all with it turned on either since sharp enough turns will begin a drift.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
I don't use manual drift and haven't had any issues at all. I don't like how finicky it is.

I can see King Boo being a high-end, if only beacause they're going to run out of high ends to give out in the gold pass after the next tour since only Peachette is left. Though I suppose Gooigi could be high end instead.
He was High-End in the Beta, but so was Rosalina, so it's not set in stone. I imagine he'll stay a High-End though.

tonyh24613

Oct 25, 2017
It's just me, or Tokyo Blur is the worst course in the game? Feels short and bland, hard to combo and un-rewarding. :(

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's just me, or Tokyo Blur is the worst course in the game? Feels short and bland, hard to combo and un-rewarding. :(

Not just you. New York Minute is far better.

The presentation and music of Tokyo Blur are great. Else it is way too short with not a very interesting layout.

TBH I think the developers are doing these tracks a disservice truncating them, since they're such a huge selling point of the game. Like you can clearly see a 2nd path in the course that's meant to be for the return Tokyo tour. Should've just made 1 awesome track instead...

Also as a heads up, I'd expect something similar for Paris Promenade. The mini map from the trailer footage is a very basic loop on that one.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Both Tokyo and NYC were bland courses, they were simplistic layouts with pretty decorations.

The remixes of all the courses though in later cups are absolutely bonkers and awesome and arguably better than the originals.

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Birdo's emblem seems to have been datamined, since that ribbon matches her emblem from past Mario games. Could be a sign she's back.

Hentz

The Fallen
Mar 9, 2018
I'm super glad I'm not the only one having trouble with 150cc this tour

But I'm extremely sad and fucking angry that I just spent 90 rubies and still didn't get my Kimono Peach... my first 10 pull I got the High End Purple Umbrella at least, but my second pull was literally garbage, I was so annoyed. I'm pretty sure I can only get enough rubies for one more 10 pull so it will be my last chance to get Kimono Peach before the banner changes

Also: Neo Bowser City is a shitty stage and should be deleted from the game

Mr. Blue Sky

Oct 25, 2017
Visually I like Tokyo Blur more than NYM since there's more variety in the buildings and more landmarks but otherwise it might be down as one of the weakest courses in the series. Lacking the tour gear makes it worse since scoring well on it becomes impossible.

Saicho

Oct 27, 2017
Bought Ludwig in the shop. I think he is worth the 800 I spent on him. Still want Morton though.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017

NORMAL

vets

- Paratroopa

Newcomers
- Spewart
- Rango
- Topper
- Harriet
- Baby Wario
- Baby Waluigi

Super

Vets

- Birdo
- Wiggler
- Waluigi
- King Boo
- Honey Queen

Newcomers
- Madame Broode
- Cappy
- Tiara
- Dixie Kong

High End/Spotlight

Vets

- Funky Kong
- Petey Piranha
- ROB
- Pink Gold Peach

Newcomers
- King Bob-omb
- Gooigi

Petey im 50/50 on
Lots of good stuff on this list, but I really hope none of the Broodals are added. Despite Odyssey being an amazing game, I hate them soooooooooooooooooooo much. Such tacky, unappealing designs.

To add some suggestions, when we finally get to the stage of adding crossover characters, I hope we see the ones from the MK arcade games, like Mametchi and Pac-Man. I'd basically like to see every single character that has ever been in a Mario Kart game eventually appear in this one.

Last edited:

Trrzs

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly, I'm glad Mario Kart Tour exists, with Mario Kart 8 I was worried the franchise would turn into a crossover and left behind the Mario characters. I just hope they add the majority of this characters into the next console installment (or MK8D DLC).

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Also, I was wondering, is there no way to see the badges you've earned from the last tour? I have the Double Cherry badge equipped right now from the last tour's challenges, but if I equip something else, it'll just be gone? Because that would really suck.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Also, I was wondering, is there no way to see the badges you've earned from the last tour? I have the Double Cherry badge equipped right now from the last tour's challenges, but if I equip something else, it'll just be gone? Because that would really suck.
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. I don't want to switch badges if I will permanently lose the one I have currently.

maxxatom

Nov 6, 2017
Kansas City
Yeah. Throw in Meta Knight, a warp star kart, and a halberd kart too. Maybe for gliders we could get a Rick, Kine, and Koo one alongside a robobot armor one.
This is the beautiful future I would like to be a part of!

Yeah they need to rearrange the badges and challenges into two separate sub menus. This would allow the challenges menu to get cleaned up and not require I scroll through all of my completed bingo cards every time I want to check something. And it would also ensure I never lose my Banana Boy badge!

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I only couldn't 5-star some of the last cups last season, it's honestly not too bad. I'll continue not spending a cent on this, I don't care about rare characters since I've got the characters I always use in MK.

Mr. Blue Sky

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. I don't want to switch badges if I will permanently lose the one I have currently.
I was using the gold Bowser badge from the last tour and then switched it to gold Lakitu and have no way of going back it seems so if you like your badge from the last tour I'd keep it for now.