• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What should be the next event?

• Tokyo

Votes: 70 57.9%
  • Paris

Votes: 26 21.5%
  • London

Votes: 25 20.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nov 26, 2017
For the traffic cones just play the time trial challenge in Toad Circuit, there's a place with like 4 of them, just hit them in both laps and you're done :)
I thought the missions didn't count for the challenges, otherwise tons of people would have gotten the flatten challenge from that smash small dry bones mission

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I think if a challenge counts or not depends on the mission.
The dry bones smashing doesnt count because it's not a race. Presumably this is also why it doesnt count for the "make 10 opponents crash in one race".

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I came up with a list of retro tracks I'd like to see in Mario Kart 9, and figured I'd post it here since this is the most active Mario Kart community right now. I tried to stick to tracks that have yet to return for this.

Shell Cup
DS Figure-8 Circuit
GBA Riverside Park
3DS Wuhu Loop
Wii Toad's Factory

Banana Cup
DS Mario Circuit
Wii DK Summit
GBA Sunset Wilds
GCN Wario Colosseum

Leaf Cup
Wii U Sunshine Airport
SNES Vanilla Lake 2
N64 Wario Stadium
GCN Mushroom City

Lightning Cup
Wii U Cloudtop Cruise
GBA Broken Pier
GCN Bowser's Castle
Wii Rainbow Road

jadedpony

Jun 4, 2019
Man, the 5 green shells challenge and flatten character challenge are driving me nuts. I use oilpaper glider to get better chances at lightning, and still rarely get it. Then when I do there's no one around to squish or I miss running over them. And green shell challenge is almost impossible unless you get a green shell frenzy with lots of racers around.
This is how I pictured myself when I did the five shells challenge.

XNuTgmV.png

Five Shells Race How To: Gear Up!

Last edited:

maxxatom

Nov 6, 2017
Kansas City
Finally got my last star. This is the first tour I've gotten every one for! Woke up to only a 30 point lead in ranked, but got it up to about 1500. I think I've made peace with getting no spotlight drivers this time and will just hold my horses until Paris.

Pororoka

Nov 1, 2017
MX
I see your scores and then mine and... I can't get a higher one:
hwi1I3a.png

Granted, I'm first on the table and still I'm afraid to match next week with pros.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I see your scores and then mine and... I can't get a higher one:
hwi1I3a.png

Granted, I'm first on the table and still I'm afraid to match next week with pros.
The fact you're tier 1 would mean you've just started. Having the top equipment for each track and levelling things up makes a world of difference.
That said, that's a very low score and I'm sure there's room for improvement. Most important thing is holding onto combos for as long as possible.

Pororoka

Nov 1, 2017
MX
The fact you're tier 1 would mean you've just started. Having the top equipment for each track and levelling things up makes a world of difference.
That said, that's a very low score and I'm sure there's room for improvement. Most important thing is holding onto combos for as long as possible.
So the "Tier" is the level of the players? Oh boy, I'm relieved. Then it's time to get better! Just started to play yesterday and I was freaked out when almost everybody were talking about 30k scores.

RuffMadman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I didn't notice till now but you lose exp if you quit a race :( I've been staying at the same exp for a while now it looks like

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I think, and hope, multiplayer will be more traditional. 3 laps, no point system for the win. Frenzies can still be a thing I think, but otherwise keep it classic.

Saicho

Oct 27, 2017
I also really enjoy the transformed courses, but would like if the new ramps and changes matched aesthetically with the level (i.e. not all the same red ramps).

And as long as it wasn't always on, I think I would even be cool if there was a mode where the course transformed to the T variation as you raced, similar to how Excite Trucks on the wii did.

The ramps in Bowser Castle T would lower in second lap which makes it more interesting.

For the flatten 3 opponents, in Daisy Hills there's a trick you can use at the flying section. When you start your flight, move down and to the left to go out of bounds. It then resets you, if done properly, back in front of the flying section giving you an immediate new set of items.

Do this a couple of times will put you behind in eighth place and often give you Lightning to use.

Brilliant. Thanks for the tip!

Rosalina is in my shop for $3000 today.... so tempting... (Diddy Kong is also in but I'll pass since he doesn't have a tie!)

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I'll have more than enough daily challenges to get the last 3 stars I need for this tour but man I wish DK would show up tomorrow so I can get him, the challenge and probably the final normal star (waluigi pinball r, I just dont think 10k is possible without a frenzy) all in one swoop
getting that DK will also get me the 30 shop items challenge and the box will get me the ticket i need to get Dry Bowser to level 4 so I get those rubies plus the 15 for 1-3. Enough for another 10 pull and maybe get king boo...

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Nice, I actually got all the Grand Stars did this tour! And I've yet to spend a penny. That'll change in a couple of days when I get the Gold Pass, but yeah.

Still no DK, though. :<

I only have 3 more days to get him in the shop, or pray that I get lucky with getting him in the pipe pulls I'll be doing at the end.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, I actually got all the Grand Stars did this tour! And I've yet to spend a penny. That'll change in a couple of days when I get the Gold Pass, but yeah.

Still no DK, though. :<

I only have 3 more days to get him in the shop, or pray that I get lucky with getting him in the pipe pulls I'll be doing at the end.
i had diddy show up in the shop today and i was just like "no, not that dk"

Also did you get Waluigi Pinball R with Hakama or Muscian Mario? Or did you do it with a tier 2 character

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
i had diddy show up in the shop today and i was just like "no, not that dk"

Also did you get Waluigi Pinball R with Hakama or Muscian Mario? Or did you do it with a tier 2 character
I did it with Diddy, and then later as I was grinding I managed to beat my high score with King Boo as well (by 400 points, even).

It does require some luck and lots of skill to chain things together, but it's doable as long as you have a Tier 3 kart and glider, which you should since there are commons available for both.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Gold glider in my shop today.

Worth spending 25 rubies on coin rush to buy it?
If you've been making do without it, then no. I honestly find it really hard to justify spending rubies for more gold unless I have a surplus of them (and considering how stingy this game is with rubies, it will be a while for that to happen).

Gold Glider is fantastic and all, but it can always show up again some other time. If you want to purchase it later down the line, I recommend just saving up coins instead.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Hopefully Peach is week 1 so I can get some extra rubies for Shy Guy.

These Mario/Peach alts are a great way to save rubies.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Peach makes sense in retrospect, the Pairs course has a prominent Peach icon on it

Pretty interested in the new permanent additions this go around. Will we finally see Birdo, Honey Queen & Nabbit? Maybe any of PGP, Cat Peach and Tanooki Mario as permanent high ends?

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Disappointing. I was hoping the reveal trailer only showing Shy Guy meant the 2nd character would be a surprise like Pauline. Hoping we get some new additions to the regular pool then.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
After thinking about it a bit, I decided that if I can't get DK by Tuesday, that I won't get that $40 deal. The only thing I'll get from completing that challenge board would be a Quick Ticket, a DK badge, and 300 coins (2 rows completed for 50 coins each + 200 coins from surplus Grand stars). DK is basically the only valuable thing from that purchase and is absolutely not worth that much lol.

ffdgh

Oct 25, 2017
The Mushroom Kingdom
After thinking about it a bit, I decided that if I can't get DK by Tuesday, that I won't get that $40 deal. The only thing I'll get from completing that challenge board would be a Quick Ticket, a DK badge, and 300 coins (2 rows completed for 50 coins each + 200 coins from surplus Grand stars). DK is basically the only valuable thing from that purchase and is absolutely not worth that much lol.
If Wendy Is anything to go by DK or Luigi will show up the day after this tour is over lol.

RedNalgene

Oct 25, 2017
Gold glider is in my shop today for like 10k. Others here are indicating I should definitely buy it?

on another note - any tips for getting the ultra boost challenge? I tried a few times on the pinball course and only got 5.