• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What should be the next event?

• Tokyo

Votes: 70 57.9%
  • Paris

Votes: 26 21.5%
  • London

Votes: 25 20.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
That was definitely not there before. That's some grade-A bullshit for making it impossible to get characters needed for challenges unless you do a pipe pull (which is now the only way to get Wario because there's not even a purchasable option for him).

And, of course, I don't have him unlocked. Same with Waluigi. The only character I actually can unlock through the shop now is DK. Guess I'm going another tour without completing a challenge, so thanks for the heads up I guess, Nintendo.
Are you referring to the short sleeves? I just unlocked that with Baby Daisy.

Trrzs

Oct 29, 2017
So the best advice is to buy the characters you don't have, even if you need to spend rubies in a gold rush play.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Another thing I noticed about this tour is that the point requirements for getting 5 stars got increased by a significant amount, even in the first tour.

Something like that is going to devastate people who are picking up the game just now, because they have no way to reach the points needed to get 5 stars unless they spend a significant amount of money. It's so far manageable for people who have played the game since launch, but still... that is just terrible.

Mr. Blue Sky

Oct 25, 2017
Baby Peach and probably at least Baby Dasiy and Rosalina as well count for the short sleeve challenge as Cheep Cheep Lagoon taught me

Radline

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I noticed just by the first race when I got 2nd that the gap between four stars and five stars was large. You'd normally be able to take lower places and still get five stars in the early cups easily, but now there's more to be done to ensure five stars.
Given this and the new content for the tour seemingly being shallow, it feels like the well is drying up.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
As much as I've been wanting this Shy Guy (Chef) since the pre-launch trailer, coming first both ranked cups this tour will leave me on a little over 200 rubies all up, and I don't think that's enough to gamble them all away. Might have to sit this one out and save for London.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
So gold pass is repeating characters with Metal Mario.
They've stopped adding a bunch of new characters and we only got the two spotlights plus another costume this tour.
No more new retro tracks, just the new Paris Promenade.
They've upped the points requirement for stars (yet to see if this is just for the early cups or if the late ones are effected too).

Man, this game is going to be haemorrhaging players unless multiplayer is a game changer. I really don't understand why they frontloaded everything the game had in the first couple of tours.

ffdgh

Oct 25, 2017
The Mushroom Kingdom
You know what? I'll take it.
yNx6haU.jpg

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Are you referring to the short sleeves? I just unlocked that with Baby Daisy.
Yeah, it seems the female baby characters count, thankfully. This was definitely intended to be a Wario challenge since his badge is the prize for it, though. I'm glad this isn't another "but a bowtie is totally a tie!" situation.
So gold pass is repeating characters with Metal Mario.
They've stopped adding a bunch of new characters and we only got the two spotlights plus another costume this tour.
No more new retro tracks, just the new Paris Promenade.
They've upped the points requirement for stars (yet to see if this is just for the early cups or if the late ones are effected too).

Man, this game is going to be haemorrhaging players unless multiplayer is a game changer. I really don't understand why they frontloaded everything the game had in the first couple of tours.
Mario Circuit 3 is also new, at least.

(I also recommend using that course for the 50 coin challenge.)

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Shocked that Pit Crew Toad wasn't a high end, or a freebie for gold pass this tour. Overall pretty disappointing content offerings, and really don't like the challenge being upped so early in this tour. Took me several tries to get that first time trial done in under 55 seconds.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
I saved up enough rubies for two ten-pulls. Now I wished I'd carried on saving them.

Yeah, this is not a great tour. Why are they doing another Peach variant when there are so many new characters they could add?

SapphireZora

Mar 14, 2018
Chiming to note that I also had Donkey Kong in the shop today, after not having him there all through the Halloween Tour...

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah not gonna lie this circuit doesn't inspire confidence to me either. They've upped the challenge for some reason, which just means it punishes people who haven't got X characters yet. Metal Mario repeat instead of them you know, adding a different character or adding a new HE. The news about the shop is pretty annoying as someone who doesn't have Wario yet.

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Did two 10 pulls and got Vacation Peach from the pipe. Was hoping for the Macaron kart or Pit Crew Toad but I'll take it.

I noticed that there are now 18 cups rather than 16, and they are all spaced a day apart. Very good change, since the last several tours got very boring by week 2.

I don't really like the track rotation this tour though. Too much of SNES Mario Circuit in it.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Did two 10 pulls and got Vacation Peach from the pipe. Was hoping for the Macaron kart or Pit Crew Toad but I'll take it.

I noticed that there are now 18 cups rather than 16, and they are all spaced a day apart. Very good change, since the last several tours got very boring by week 2.

I don't really like the track rotation this tour though. Too much of SNES Mario Circuit in it.
I'm enjoying Mario Circuit 3, it's a solid track IMO.

The increased amount of cups also means it's easier to get enough Grand Stars to get all the tour gifts. Someone on Reddit did the math, and there are 15 extra stars. Much easier, and a potential 1,500 bonus coins.

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying Mario Circuit 3, it's a solid track IMO.

The increased amount of cups also means it's easier to get enough Grand Stars to get all the tour gifts. Someone on Reddit did the math, and there are 15 extra stars. Much easier, and a potential 1,500 bonus coins.

Yeah Mario Circuit 3 on it's own is good. I think putting Mario Circuit 1 in the same rotation though is a bit much.

What I do like though is that because the SNES tracks share a lot of assets, this hopefully means we get most of them in the game. Hoping to see Vanilla Lake show up eventually since I think that's the only SNES track theme that has never been brought back.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I see they're on autopilot for this tour, very meager selection of new drivers and tracks. I did one pull and got a Metal Mario plus a couple of drivers I was missing like Toad and Wario, but I think this is a safe tour to save up on.

Also, I like the extra cups, and doling them out one per day is good to keep the content feeling daily rather than sporadic, even if it it makes skip tickets less useful since you have to spend more now. Not sure what I think about the difficulty increase for newcomers though. Hopefully the addition of the extra cups will offset the fact that new players mayhave a tough time getting 5 stars even early on?

(Also the time trial didn't give me too much trouble, I just turned on manual drift and used both mushrooms to skip that long stretch of desert on the right on one lap.)

Saicho

Oct 27, 2017
This is such a cruel joke... Not only I got Donkey Kong in my shop today... I did 10 pipes just now and got 9 duplicated except one new super driver... (you got it) it's Donkey Kong!

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Another thing I noticed about this tour is that the point requirements for getting 5 stars got increased by a significant amount, even in the first tour.

Something like that is going to devastate people who are picking up the game just now, because they have no way to reach the points needed to get 5 stars unless they spend a significant amount of money. It's so far manageable for people who have played the game since launch, but still... that is just terrible.
I came here to ask about the points. It feels like the 5* points totals on the first cup are almost double what they've been in the past.

This game fucking sucks.

MiTYH

Oct 25, 2017
Did 2 multis and got one high-end glider, which is nice. I need that metal mario so I'm finally going to cash in the trial of gold pass at the end of this tour.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
That Paris course has lovely graphics. I was in Paris last year and just driving through the course here on MK Tour brought back memories.

Now I'm a Londoner so I can't wait to see what they do with the courses there...and can you imagine they do a London Mario complete with Bowler Hat & Umbrella?? Much like the London Pikachu. I'm gonna save my Ruby's from the Paris Tour just for the possibility.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Holy f'n shit, the first cup alone has really hard 5 star Requirements this time, they upped the challenge a lot. I don't like that.

Deleted member 10908

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think im going to cancel my subscription after this tour, the paid rewards are crap (metal mario again?). Also, the increased number of points required early on for 5 stars also makes me not want to play this as much. I'm a casual player and i just want to be progressing and unlock new tracks and stuff, not go back and have to redo tracks, especially not starting from the first cup

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm half expecting us to have New York next time with the new track route. Very concerned about the outlook on the game at the moment. Only incentive I have to stay on Gold Pass is the multiplayer beta next month.

jadedpony

Jun 4, 2019
So I learned what pay to win is after placing in the top spot on all previous ranked cups without spending any actual cash. I finally caved after being stuck at just over 30k and barely having any room to improve. Upon subbing to the gold pass (due to all of the rewards, especially level tickets), I could immediately hit over 14k on Daisy Hills with a reasonable run and even higher when frenzying.

I completed all of the gold pass challenges throughout the day but ran out of time and only made it back into 2nd in the ranked cup. I should've just subbed earlier 😳 I was able to unlock all of the tour gifts which were decent since I didn't have Peachette yet and the exclusive karts helped with the ranked cup.
Was this always a thing they showed? Also noticed that Wario is mysteriously missing from the driver list the moment a short sleeve challenge shows up lol.
1IziwFkg.jpg
So what you're saying is I'm never getting Luigi. Great, thanks Nintendo! 😝 At least I won't wake up eagerly each morning hoping to find him. Thanks for finding and posting this.
They are definitely higher than previous tours, especially compared to last tour. I like the added difficulty but I don't see how this makes sense when trying to attract and retain new players.
Anyone else's app broken? Won't start or let me press any troubleshoot option.
Mine was this morning too. The only way that I solved it was to clear storage under the app's settings. You will have to log back into your Nintendo account if you do this, just a warning. I had tried clearing the cache and rebooting my phone to no avail.
You know what? I'll take it.
yNx6haU.jpg
I'd rather have that glider but at least I got something new...

Oct 25, 2017
Time trials are dreadful. Awful opening challenge.
I've done all the available cups, including using 2 skip tickets. The 3rd star in the first challenge is easily the hardest one, crazy they opened the tour with that. I was fighting for the lowest digit difference in times before I got under 55 seconds.

Are you playing with manual controls? I used my first mushroom through the sand on the curve with the pipes and the other right after accidentally on the straight and still made it across at :53 seconds the first time. Mini turbo at every curve and collect the coins that aren't on the opposite end of the track and you should be good.

jadedpony

Jun 4, 2019
Baby Peach and probably at least Baby Dasiy and Rosalina as well count for the short sleeve challenge as Cheep Cheep Lagoon taught me
Daisy also counts. I found out (by accident) on Cheep Cheep Lagoon R.
Are you playing with manual controls? I used my first mushroom through the sand on the curve with the pipes and the other right after accidentally on the straight and still made it across at :53 seconds the first time. Mini turbo at every curve and collect the coins that aren't on the opposite end of the track and you should be good.
I did the same thing. Used the first mushroom right where I wanted to and then the second immediately after accidentally (as per usual on these time trials). I hit 0:53.62 on my first attempt.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I did automatic, but probably would've switched to manual if I got fed up. lol

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm done with this game, such a grind, and I'm fed up of taking a red or blue shell just in front of the finish line to drop from 1st to 7th. Such a waste of time.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
3 crappy pulls. The only new driver I got was Pit Stop Toad, and I got one new cart - the blue thing.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe I just have a lucky roster, but I managed to get 5 stars on every race on the fire cup with no trouble. No frenzies either if I remember right.
I think I'm done with this game, such a grind, and I'm fed up of taking a red or blue shell just in front of the finish line to drop from 1st to 7th. Such a waste of time.
Haha, classic Mario Kart.

I think it's important to go into the game knowing that you're not going to get every driver/kart/glider. While it does suck to not have a 3 item driver on a track and not be able to get 5 stars because of that, but there's always another tour every two weeks and you'll always have another chance to get something good the next time you get 45 gems.

If you're not having fun doing races, or challenges, or aiming for high scores, then I totally get dropping it.
I focus on that stuff and mostly ignore the gacha aspects of the game and I have a pretty good time with it.

Last edited:

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe I just have a lucky roster, but I managed to get 5 stars on every race on the fire cup with no trouble. No frenzies either if I remember right.
I'm not having any problems either. The challenges getting progressively harder is normal for most mobile games, and now there are 15 extra Grand Stars so there's no need to worry if you can't get five stars on every single race right off the bat.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Paris Promenade is easily the best original course they've had so far. Hopefully the next time New York Minute or Tokyo Blur come up they get revamped to be as interesting.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Big surprise, I get DK in the shop as soon as that tour is over...

I'm not having problems (outside of the first cup, ironically) getting 5*s but I dont think this score increase is sustainable long term. You're going to push out new players constantly. It'd only work if there were difficulty levels of tours and I don't think that's happening until they start rerunning.

Also man these challenges are pretty rough this go around too huh? Crash into people with the bullet bill, crash over the finish line 3 times, get 3 slipstreams in 1 race will be kind of hard to rig. Lightning again. Super Horns too! even with King Boo it is hard to actually ram into people with the soundwave especially if they get hit by literally any of your other weapons (which has happened to me, constantly...).

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Big surprise, I get DK in the shop as soon as that tour is over...

I'm not having problems (outside of the first cup, ironically) getting 5*s but I dont think this score increase is sustainable long term. You're going to push out new players constantly. It'd only work if there were difficulty levels of tours and I don't think that's happening until they start rerunning.

Also man these challenges are pretty rough this go around too huh? Crash into people with the bullet bill, crash over the finish line 3 times, get 3 slipstreams in 1 race will be kind of hard to rig. Lightning again. Super Horns too! even with King Boo it is hard to actually ram into people with the soundwave especially if they get hit by literally any of your other weapons (which has happened to me, constantly...).
They've added extra cups though, it works out that for all rewards there's 15 extra stars compared to the 5 it used to be.
The difficulty has increased but they've balanced around it.

Crash over the finish line one isn't too bad, drop a banana on lap 1 on the side of the track then crash into it on lap 2.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
They've added extra cups though, it works out that for all rewards there's 15 extra stars compared to the 5 it used to be.
The difficulty has increased but they've balanced around it.

Crash over the finish line one isn't too bad, drop a banana on lap 1 on the side of the track then crash into it on lap 2.
Oh there's extra cups without the rewards being extended? That's fine then, gives more margin for error in general too!