• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What should be the next event?

• Tokyo

Votes: 70 57.9%
  • Paris

Votes: 26 21.5%
  • London

Votes: 25 20.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The pulls I've done have all been garbage so there's no way I'd ever spend on gems (also they're crazy expensive). But now that the gold pass rewards are gated out too that's not worth the $5 either (cancelled this morning when I saw the difficulty spike).

Really confused about their monetization model here. Who would spend money on this?

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
iwxIxKsl.jpg

When the game straight up tells you to go fuck yourself

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Same here. Three tens and zero high ends. In fact, I still don't have a high-end glider at all since day one.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Same here. Three tens and zero high ends. In fact, I still don't have a high-end glider at all since day one.
Its only going to get worse the more drivers, karts, and gliders they add.

The percentages are just pitiful in everything. Even common stuff is a 3% chance of dropping MAX, and the good stuff is only a fraction of a percent.

They really need to limit the total pool of stuff you can get so that the chances of getting what you want in a particular week are higher. I know they do that a tiny bit, but not nearly small enough to make for satisfying pulls.

Radishhead

Oct 30, 2017
Have the pipe rewards been nerfed? Got all commons and one super, which is much worse than I usually get. At least the super was new (king boo).

MrFortyFive

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've also had really poor luck after a long run of good luck. Three ten pulls for a couple supers to show for it this tour. Got at least one spotlight character and/or high end in each of my last three pulls before that in previous tours though so I can't say that Iuck hasn't been on my side.

Last edited:

jadedpony

Jun 4, 2019
Did anyone else find Paris Promenade difficult to five star without a three item driver? I really had to work at it to get that fifth star.
I started resorting to running into cones and goombas to try to eke out every possible point that I could in addition to using an item ticket, lol.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I'm skipping the pipe this Tour. Saving my Ruby's for a nice new Mario skin. And I'm still bitter that I never managed to get Hakama Mario.

Saicho

Oct 27, 2017
Also man these challenges are pretty rough this go around too huh? Crash into people with the bullet bill, crash over the finish line 3 times, get 3 slipstreams in 1 race will be kind of hard to rig. Lightning again. Super Horns too! even with King Boo it is hard to actually ram into people with the soundwave especially if they get hit by literally any of your other weapons (which has happened to me, constantly...).

I actually think the challenge is much easier this tour. I never got the one flatten 3 opponents in the last tour (along with the one required DK). Most of the challenges you listed just need to be done in 50 CC.

iwxIxKsl.jpg

When the game straight up tells you to go fuck yourself

Now I feel much better with my pipe pulls since I got DK... The rest I got looks really similar to what you got.

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I did another pipe pull and got Pastry Chef Shy Guy and Pit Crew Toad! Getting all 3 new characters in 30 pulls is very good luck. Still hope I earn enough rubies to get the Macaron kart now.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Its only going to get worse the more drivers, karts, and gliders they add.

The percentages are just pitiful in everything. Even common stuff is a 3% chance of dropping MAX, and the good stuff is only a fraction of a percent.

They really need to limit the total pool of stuff you can get so that the chances of getting what you want in a particular week are higher. I know they do that a tiny bit, but not nearly small enough to make for satisfying pulls.
Do you not know how the pipes work?

It's pre-set with 100 items.
6 of those are high end: the three spotlights plus one extra high end character, kart, and glider.
Another X amount are super.
The rest are commons.

This hasn't changed since launch.

If you're pulling 10 or 20 times off each pipe you're just rolling the dice and the odds are not in your favour.

The smart way to play this is to skip pulling certain tours and blow 200-300+ rubies when a spotlight you like comes out. That's what I did, saved up to 350 and got all 6 high ends from the King Boo pipe, now I'm back into saving mode and skipping this tour. Though I really want the Chef Shy Guy so I'll see what my ruby total is at by the end of this tour...

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Do you not know how the pipes work?

It's pre-set with 100 items.
6 of those are high end: the three spotlights plus one extra high end character, kart, and glider.
Another X amount are super.
The rest are commons.

This hasn't changed since launch.

If you're pulling 10 or 20 times off each pipe you're just rolling the dice and the odds are not in your favour.

The smart way to play this is to skip pulling certain tours and blow 200-300+ rubies when a spotlight you like comes out. That's what I did, saved up to 350 and got all 6 high ends from the King Boo pipe, now I'm back into saving mode and skipping this tour. Though I really want the Chef Shy Guy so I'll see what my ruby total is at by the end of this tour...
Yeah the only thing more added to the pool will change is the chance of getting a specific Normal or Super. The 3 spot lights will always have a static amount and they seem to be in no rush to add more normal High Ends so those individual rates aren't going to change any time soon.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Competition is unusually tough this time around in my cup. Managed to snag #1 again for now, but just cracking back to the top 3 was a big struggle.

RuffMadman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm about 5k above 2nd place right now. Doesn't seem like they're trying right now. Anyways, just finished Tour Challenges 1 and almost done with Gold Challenges as well. I'll get around to it eventually.

Trrzs

Oct 29, 2017
And of course the next ranked cup is Yoshi Cup with Paris and Mario Circuit races where most of the recommended items are High-End introduced in this tour... Oh well, I will try a 10 pull but I'll wait for the next Pipe, I hope I'm lucky enough to score high *fingers crossed*

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Really enjoying it so far and I usually don't play on my phone. But it's charming and works well for short rounds. I have two friends playing it too and we have a competitive thing going on without spending a penny for the game and try to get the most out of it. One of my friends is a "freemium expert" and had few good tips I wasn't aware of (especially as someone who usually don't play these kind of games).

Another thing that's making me play it is I don't have a recent Nintendo console. I wouldn't play Call of Duty mobile because I can play the real thing on my PC anytime. That's why I'm also not interested in Diablo Immortal or any clone of it. But a kart racer, namely Mario isn't something I can play on my PC. Again. really enjoying it although it becomes pretty obvious that they desperately want you to invest much money, showing you all the stuff you could have gotten ADDITIONALLY if you paid.

Gartooth I'd like to be on the list :)
ResterEra Username: ThreepQuest64
Mario Kart Tour Username: Rob
Friend code: 4089 5032 7558

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've done all the current tour challenges so far, and I just want to say the challenges that require the player to gimp themselves to actually complete them are unfun and a horrible experience. I'm looking at you lightning and bullet bill challenges. Basically trying to fight the CPUs to actually stay in 6th - 8th place as much as possible for the items to actually appear.

uaCYsBC.png

Well, fuck you too, game.

Yikes, that would piss me off if I pulled that. Only possible bright side is grinding levels on some common stuff for the challenge board.

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Laughing that they posted this on Twitter because the first time trial is this difficult.

I don't agree with using mushrooms on straight roads though. I used them to cut through the sand on a corner near the end of the lap.

Pororoka

Nov 1, 2017
MX

Laughing that they posted this on Twitter because the first time trial is this difficult.

I don't agree with using mushrooms on straight roads though. I used them to cut through the sand on a corner near the end of the lap.

Same here with the sand corner and I can't still do under 55 secs (my best time is 00:55.09)

And also the challenge of Mega Roy, the bastard always throw me 6 bombs before crossing the finishing line on the final lap with 99% accuracy.

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
The lightning challenge is making me crazy. No matter how much I try I haven't got a single bolt since the Paris update. 😣
Someone on Reddit posted a tip that's worked great for me. First, make sure to turn off auto items. Choose a character with 3 items and, if possible, a lightning glider. When the race starts, make sure to mess up the rocket boost so your opponents will have a head start. Don't touch the screen at all after that, because you want to make sure you're not accidentally doing boosts. When you get your first item box, use exactly one item and leave the other two slots filled. By the time you get to the second set of item boxes, your opponents should have a sizable lead, and there's a better chance you'll get lightning in your third slot.

What seems to be happening is that, like Mario Kart 8, the chances of you getting certain items depends on your distance from the leader: https://www.mariowiki.com/Mario_Kart_8_item_probability_distributions

"Use your mushrooms on straightaways" is like the worst advice you can give for any Mario Kart lol.
That's what bugs me about the combo system and coin placement. I think the coins should be placed to teach you how to race better, but oftentimes they're placed on the outside of the curve. Also, if they ever add a combo mode in a mainline entry, I hope it's just single-player without any bots. I'd find the combo system to be much more fun if I didn't have to worry about RNG and constantly getting hit by items.

Mr. Blue Sky

Oct 25, 2017
I swear I must be the only one who has no issue with the time trial challenges at all. I've finished each one with like ~5seconds to spare and I usually end up blowing a mushroom cause the controls decide to think I wanna use one while drifting a small turn.

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I assume most people have seen this, but I'll post it anyway. Nintendo put up cool promo art for Paris at the start of the Tour.

On another note, I see data mining has uncovered objects known as ice blocks, and that makes me really hopeful it is a sign that SNES Vanilla Lake is coming back.

maxxatom

Nov 6, 2017
Kansas City
Vacation Peach finally came home to me 💕 which means I would have enough for two ten pulls on shy guy pipe but I am going to do my best to just sit on them until next cup (even though he is the cutest)

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Barely managed to get 1st in my ranking just now, at 33.5k. 2nd place is only less than 400 points below me, so I hope they don't decide to improve it.

I also did a 10-pull and got two high-end gliders! The spotlight one and the white cloud one. This is really nice since high-end gliders are the hardest thing to come by in this game. I probably won't pull again since I just did it on a whim and don't really care for the spotlight characters.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm 2nd in my ranking at 30k, 1.4k below the top rank. Cheep Cheep Lagoon seems like it's entirely up to chance on whether or not I'm able to beat that score, and Mario Circuit 1 as well. For Dino Dino I think I did the best I'm gonna do for now.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I'm 2nd in my ranking at 30k, 1.4k below the top rank. Cheep Cheep Lagoon seems like it's entirely up to chance on whether or not I'm able to beat that score, and Mario Circuit 1 as well. For Dino Dino I think I did the best I'm gonna do for now.
Yeah, Cheep Cheep Lagoon is the worst with RNG because it determines whether or not you get 4 item boxes vs. 6 item boxes (+ some jump boosts).

I have no idea how I cracked 10k on that.