• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What should be the next event?

• Tokyo

Votes: 70 57.9%
  • Paris

Votes: 26 21.5%
  • London

Votes: 25 20.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
I cannot believe Nintendo STILL has not incorporated a block/report system for usernames.

Why in the hell is there no way to block "Sluttynut"?

FFS, Nintendo. This is a children's game.

I... I can't.

Mr. Blue Sky

Oct 25, 2017
I saw someone posting on reddit about how apparently there's no challenge board past 1-5 and when added to the fact that there isn't a means to reach tier 30 to even complete 2-4 kind of kills yet another means of getting rubies after they nerfed daily rewards on the 2nd tour.

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I saw someone posting on reddit about how apparently there's no challenge board past 1-5 and when added to the fact that there isn't a means to reach tier 30 to even complete 2-4 kind of kills yet another means of getting rubies after they nerfed daily rewards on the 2nd tour.

It seems like there's always that one challenge on the board that Nintendo intentionally uses to gatekeep players from finishing it. Stuff like "Reach skill level 5" or "reach tier 20" have been pains for the community, but this tier 30 one takes it to another level since it is impossible to rank up.

I completely agree that the game has gotten progressively more stingy with free content. The state of the coin shop right now is a joke and makes coin rush a complete scam. Add in that the inherent value of the new content has gone down significantly this tour (Black Shy Guy being the most egregious of the constant recolors like with karts/gliders) and it isn't surprising when I look up this game's gross on Google Play and see it has fallen nearly 30 spots since the Paris tour ended.

Screenshot-20191201-083052-Google-Play-Store.jpg

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I still feel multiplayer has taken all dev time for now in terms of new content. In terms of monetization, rewards and the rest, that's shitty. It's really starting to hurt my fun with the game.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
This is my least favorite tour so far.

I don't know if its a combination of what I don't have unlocked, or my equipment isn't leveled up enough, or what, but I just am not having any fun getting more stars or trying to rank up more.
My ranking is the lowest its ever been at 8th and the only way that's changing is if I get at least 3 good frenzies on the Cheep Cheep bay level and I've tryed so many times of sick of it.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
This is my least favorite tour so far.

I don't know if its a combination of what I don't have unlocked, or my equipment isn't leveled up enough, or what, but I just am not having any fun getting more stars or trying to rank up more.
My ranking is the lowest its ever been at 8th and the only way that's changing is if I get at least 3 good frenzies on the Cheep Cheep bay level and I've tryed so many times of sick of it.
I've been struggling with ranked cups too ever since I hit tier 19. Tier 17 was competitive, too, but not overly so.

It's been twice now that I've competed in 19, and I was only able to get any rubies out of it the second time, which of course was only 10 rubies: the lowest amount. Now on my third time in tier 19, I feel like I could just barely get some coins for rewards, but the amount of coins I could get just aren't worth the grind. The top three places in tier 19 have always seemed completely impossible for me to personally get unless I got really lucky with my pulls, but this time just getting any rubies seems like it can't be done without paying for rubies or subscribing to the gold pass.

It's really a shame because one of the big reasons I keep playing this game is to see what new characters I get next, but you need rubies for that, and it's becoming increasingly difficult to get a lot of those. That's not only due to whatever the "matchmaking" algorithm they use pitting me against people I realistically cannot beat, but there's also obviously the fact that getting rubies out of challenges is getting more and more difficult.

Speaking of difficulty, I feel like the 150CC CPUs have become a lot harder than what they used to be at launch. Now, if I get hit once while in the lead, I quite often quickly find myself at the bottom of the pack, which is increasingly frustrating when it happens near the end of races.

There's just a lot going on with this game that's making me enjoy it less, and making playing for free feel less rewarding. I think I'll still keep playing until the end of the year at least, but I do think I'm very close to dropping the game. Probably when the year rolls over to 2020, unless changes are made for the better, fast.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
If the MP this month is good then I'll forgive them for the weak tours. I'm glad to see the next tour will have Daisy and Waluigi alts at least so I can finally spend all those gems I've been hoarding.

Sorry if this was already posted here

Not sure why this guy takes 13 minutes to come to a overly complicated conclusion that's instantly debunked by Occam's Razor: they did it because they didn't have multiplayer ready at launch for a new game in a series famed for its multiplayer. Better to have people download the game and be briefly upset once they figure out they were tricked than have them pass on the game entirely after hearing it's single-player only.

maxxatom

Nov 6, 2017
Kansas City
It seems like there's always that one challenge on the board that Nintendo intentionally uses to gatekeep players from finishing it. Stuff like "Reach skill level 5" or "reach tier 20" have been pains for the community, but this tier 30 one takes it to another level since it is impossible to rank up.

I completely agree that the game has gotten progressively more stingy with free content. The state of the coin shop right now is a joke and makes coin rush a complete scam. Add in that the inherent value of the new content has gone down significantly this tour (Black Shy Guy being the most egregious of the constant recolors like with karts/gliders) and it isn't surprising when I look up this game's gross on Google Play and see it has fallen nearly 30 spots since the Paris tour ended.

Screenshot-20191201-083052-Google-Play-Store.jpg

I'm completely baffled trying to understand the long term plan for the game. The longer the game goes on, and the more we level up all the low tier characters we have now, the less utility new drivers will even have? A level 5 baby Mario will be Much better than a level one Christmas Daisy. Why would people Be incentivized to spend money ?

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm completely baffled trying to understand the long term plan for the game. The longer the game goes on, and the more we level up all the low tier characters we have now, the less utility new drivers will even have? A level 5 baby Mario will be Much better than a level one Christmas Daisy. Why would people Be incentivized to spend money ?

Right. Like half my spotlight gear feels useless after the tour they were featured in because higher skill level gear from normal or super tier gets better scores. At the same time they shouldn't switch to being the "only" viable gear in a race because then it permanently blocks players from a good score if they didn't get them in the prior weeks.

They could focus a bit more on the cosmetic value of new gear but they've been doing a horrible job with that lately.

Overall the problems with the game are just going to get worse as time goes on.

vedrua

Oct 26, 2019
Not sure why this guy takes 13 minutes to come to a overly complicated conclusion that's instantly debunked by Occam's Razor: they did it because they didn't have multiplayer ready at launch for a new game in a series famed for its multiplayer. Better to have people download the game and be briefly upset once they figure out they were tricked than have them pass on the game entirely after hearing it's single-player only.
You're right. No need for a 13 minutes video to know what mobile games are. Just sad that Nintendo is part of it.

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It really feels like multiplayer is the final shot they have to turn this game around, else I see it dropping like a rock in the new year if reactions to the beta is bad. I'll be incredibly curious to see Nintendo's reaction late January (for quarterly results) now that we are distanced from launch, and they will be looking at player retention instead of just week 1 downloads.

Mobile was one of their pillars they wanted to grow in, but Mario Kart is also too critical to their business to fail. If it does then I can't see how it doesn't bring the entire pillar down with it. Splatoon mobile is about the only other thing I could see them doing next year that could come close to this.

Last edited:

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
the state of competitive has had me just not even bother
not helped by cheep cheep lagoon being so awful to get scores on

I got the last of the gold pass challenges and gifts, so I cancelled the pass, used up my gems to see if I'd get anything interesting (I didnt) and uninstalled. The expiration doesn't go through until the 9th but it's fine, I'm not super interested in playing the next tour

It's kind of a shame, I was very critical of it but their updates to sort of improve things on the QOL side of thing has been appreicated but it's counterbalanced by their "holding pattern" tour additions and lack of avenues of gain rubies. I'm curious, if there's enough drop off around the holidays despite (or because) of the multiplayer, if they might vae a Pokemon Masters style roadmap and communication. I think MKT has better base gameplay than Masters and a decent scaffolding to build off than Masters, at least.
This game isn't failing. I think some of you are overreacting a bit.
That said a Masters tier failure this is not, true.

I think that characters are the only ones that actually work with their incentivization plan. Normals have very slim course selections so going all in on a character doesn't necessarily mean much aside from the few where the high end shares space with a normal or super. And even then getting characters up will take time. I had a levle 4 Koopa but if you're not getting frenzies he's useless. I have a level 5 Dry Bowser, which is very useful when he's available, but he still isn't always available and his big bonuses are wasted if I can't get frenzies.

Karts & Gliders though, feel like they didn't think any of it through at all. I have a level 4 Bullet Bill Glider. This means it is equivalent to a favored glider and I get no downside. I assume same applies to Karts. I suppose it's good at selling Gold Passes since that's the easiest (& cheapest) way to get a lot of levels quickly but otherwise its like...there's nothing ogin on here. Karts do have extra bonuses points and gliders influence items but these are hard to plan around to begin with and with the sole exception of Gold Glider I feel like you won't really notice how useless "extra bullet bills" are. Those bonuses also aren't dependent on the favored tier like frenzies are.

Radline

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think I can play much more of this game nowadays, the last two tours have been misses for me as the new content dried up, and it doesn't help that rubies are so stingy that you can spend all that work for nothing. The game was at least fun for burning minutes, but nothing is really convincing me to keep it that way.

jadedpony

Jun 4, 2019
This week's ranking is the first time I've hit 20k in one race and in turn over 40k for the cup. Last week I only managed third with 35.3k.
Even so, the past few ranked cups have been tedious for me. When you have to race the same cup without the right DKG, the game becomes wait and get lucky with multiple frenzies even if you can combo for most of a run. And then you have to waste a good chunk of your play time trying to gain exp points and coins. Some days I don't even get to try at getting more stars or improving my ranking because I just don't have time to play for that long. I was off all of last week and I can say that I played a lot less than when I was on my normal work schedule. This tells me that I'd rather play full console games when I have the time than this mobile game which, I play in between the rest of life. This is probably why this has been the only mobile game I've ever played. I still enjoy it sometimes but the grind can be frustrating with no real end goal in sight. Also hoping multiplayer and some tweaks to this campaign mode can be made to maintain my interest.
They should add a way to pop your own Bubble. It's honestly not a terrible item but sometimes you just absolutely do not want to use it and it sucks that it takes up an item slot and then if you have 2 of them it's a lot to burn through.
Either allow you to pop it or to choose which item you use first by tapping the area it's displayed in on the screen.

Last edited:

maxxatom

Nov 6, 2017
Kansas City
This week's ranking is the first time I've hit 20k in one race and in turn over 40k for the cup. Last week I only managed third with 35.3k.
I was very unenthusiastic this tour but finally managed to get back into first with 41k and some change. Still did not manage to beat your 43k JP! I've been wasting coins and exp left and right because I just cannot be bothered to grind.

jadedpony

Jun 4, 2019
I was very unenthusiastic this tour but finally managed to get back into first with 41k and some change. Still did not manage to beat your 43k JP! I've been wasting coins and exp left and right because I just cannot be bothered to grind.
Nice job, haha! Poltergust is still kicking my butt and some other guy from reddit who added me is always at the top of my friends list.
I wasted a bunch last week and got back on the grind train today. I might need to give up on min/maxing and just play through or I'm going to get really burned out eventually...

Last edited:

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Nice job, haha! Poltergust is still kicking my butt and some other guy from reddit who added me is always at the top of my friends list.

I wasted a bunch last week and got back on the grind train today. I might need to give up on min/maxing and just play though or I'm going to get really burned out eventually...
I have like 25k on DK Pass T alone because my Metal Mario and Gold Glider are level 5 lol.

jadedpony

Jun 4, 2019
I have like 25k on DK Pass T alone because my Metal Mario and Gold Glider are level 5 lol.
Ha, I guess that explains it but I'm also at MM Lv4, RR Lv2, GG Lv4. That track is so fun because I can pretty easily combo the entire time.

It also forced me to learn how to steer with my right thumb and use items with my left. I was previously using only one hand but needed to up my game considering how much the track winds on DK Pass.

Last edited:

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I think it's very weird that the Christmas tour is ending before December even really starts. London should have been first lol

maxxatom

Nov 6, 2017
Kansas City
I just think it's cute that the London tour will be going on while I'm in London on a trip next week!

edit: strange, I was expecting both Mario Kart Tour and Fire Emblem Heroes news tonight but got neither !

Last edited:

jadedpony

Jun 4, 2019
Gave it a go on DK Pass T again last night and padded my score by another 2k with 2x coin frenzies and 1x banana. If my cat had not distracted me by jumping up on my lap causing me to break my combo just after lap one, I may have done better 😹

Now where are these new drivers? I passed on doing coin rush for B Dasher because I'm hedging an extra 10 pull on what is hopefully Christmas Daisy. I just need better luck than when I pulled half the pipe for Vacation Peach and didn't get one spotlight.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I have been sitting at about 34k for the past few days. In 9th and cannot seem to climb any higher. Losing motivation to play, TBH.

I don't know how people have a bunch of level 4+ drivers/karts/gliders... I play the game daily and I have maybe one level 4 driver and one or two level 3 karts and gliders.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
I have been sitting at about 34k for the past few days. In 9th and cannot seem to climb any higher. Losing motivation to play, TBH.

I don't know how people have a bunch of level 4+ drivers/karts/gliders... I play the game daily and I have maybe one level 4 driver and one or two level 3 karts and gliders.
Are you using your level tickets?

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL

I dumped all my skill level up tickets into Metal Mario and the Gold Glider, which just so happen to be Tier 3 on DK Pass T.

The reason I'm not spreading out my ticket usage is to get skill level up tickets to appear in the shop.

ffdgh

Oct 25, 2017
The Mushroom Kingdom
I dumped all my skill level up tickets into Metal Mario and the Gold Glider, which just so happen to be Tier 3 on DK Pass T.

The reason I'm not spreading out my ticket usage is to get skill level up tickets to appear in the shop.
Still debating wether or not to get Dry Bowser to level 6 or save tickets up for ranked courses with high ends. 10% frenzy would be so good but I can't see myself dropping 12k for a ticket all that often.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Still debating wether or not to get Dry Bowser to level 6 or save tickets up for ranked courses with high ends. 10% frenzy would be so good but I can't see myself dropping 12k for a ticket all that often.
12k for high-end tickets is literally the only feasible way to get your spotlight items to level up. That's why it's so important to make those available as soon as you can.

Certainly a much better option than pulling for them.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Oh nice an actual use for coins and it makes me feel better about Pauline!! When you mean type do you just mean in general, or like if I finish Pauline I can get High-End Driver Tickets only and not Rare or Common ones?
The latter. You'd need to get a level 6 driver/kart/glider for all 3 rarities to have those tickets appear in the shop.

Furthermore, if you get a duplicate of a level 6 driver/kart/glider from a pipe, you'll get half its value in coins.

Mr. Blue Sky

Oct 25, 2017
So, they're really gonna drop us into the next tour without a preview of anything, sans an actual last minute video upload huh? I fully expected the Daisy and Waluigi alts to be the only new thing outside of the London track but so much about this game and how they handle information for it is wildly inconsistent.