• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What should be the next event?

• Tokyo

Votes: 70 57.9%
  • Paris

Votes: 26 21.5%
  • London

Votes: 25 20.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FCJO

Dec 17, 2019
Hello, I'm new here (even if I've been lurking since the NeoGaf times) and wanted to know if some of you could please add me to your Friends Lists so I can finally complete the tasks or challenges (I don't know how are they called in english). I would be really glad if you could help me.

My Friend Code is 9406 8215 1477, by the way.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
So multiplayer beta is live.

'A communication error has occurred'. Yup, feels like Nintendo online alright. Anyone any luck with it?

Mr. Blue Sky

Oct 25, 2017
So multiplayer beta is live.
Ha, I literally just came in here to say the same. Apparently it rotates a cup for course selection every 30mins it looks like and then randomly matches you up with players if you don't make a lobby for friends. It works the same as the game has normally so far so tier boosts are in affect but since there doesn't seem to be any sort of bonus to it, even exp for placement, it really doesn't matter outside of driver selection it looks like.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Multiplayer is.... weird. Tiers are still in place, so if you don't have enough drivers you're stuck with a dtiver without frenzies (which are still in). Scoring mechanics are still there, but results are based on positioning.

Also no rewards. No xp, no gold, no ranking. It offers nothing outside of the idea that you're playing vs players with noticable lag. Hope they'll expand on the structure during beta or after, because this isn't it.

Edit: not sure on this actually, is there a reward if you complete the full cup? Connection bugged out after 2 races.

Last edited:

Mr. Blue Sky

Oct 25, 2017
When you finish the three courses in the tour it just loops back to the first one and repeats, I didn't even see if any of the other players in each one were the same. I suppose it's nice that when the cup switched it just changed to the new courses automatically without booting you out. No rewards is a bummer though so I really don't know how this'll affect anyone who was banking on this keeping them interested.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
At the very least I would want XP for player levels and the ability to complete challenges in multiplayer. Aparently you do get to keep the coins you collect. Multiplayer should be a way of alternative progression. It being pay to win sucks big time and was what many feared.

Trrzs

Oct 29, 2017
Eww, the multiplayer is boring and lazy, it doesn't have any sense to use the tier system used in single player, they should revamp it to make it with a more traditional take allowing us to use any character or kart in equal conditions, but oh wel... maybe is just the beta but I really don't expect too much from this. I'm gonna stick with the single player.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Being fucked over by the AI is one thing (always get hit by an item mid-gap, fall, end up way back), but when it's by other players with them jumping around because of lag? Yeah, all set.

Decided to cancel my Gold pass sub. I'm just not having fun trying to compete for rank anymore. It's not a grind I enjoy. Not when there is so much RNG luck/gear bullshit in play.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Guys, Multiplayer is not complete. We're just testing the racing ability. The structure of how Multiplayer will be presented isn't incorporated yet (tiers, prizes etc). The News section says that certain specifications will change.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
OK it's a good thing this is just a beta because they seriously fucked this up lol

First off, we have a clear example of why it's stupid to have gameplay benefits based on what characters you have:

iqTulaRl.jpg

Literally everyone in an online race will pick the same character and why wouldn't they? Most courses only have one or two favored drivers and you can't pull three items without them. Karts/gliders thankfully have no benefits since MP wins are based on position, but since the selection screen is the same as always, people are naturally going to pick the quickly available ones instead of slowly poking through their inventory.

Secondly, three items make things way too hectic. Mario Kart is wild with one item each, it's wilder with two items each, but when you're on DK Pass R, the favored driver is Dry Bowser, and everyone in the back is pulling multiple Bowser shells every 2 seconds, skill just straight up goes out the window.

Two items should be the standard, and it would also prevent frenzies which are unsurprisingly awful in MP. I played a friendly race against jadedpony where I had a bit of a lead going into the second lap of New York Minute 2 and pulled a coin frenzy. What were they supposed to do? I turned invincible and got to cut corners in the park to go even faster while I was already winning. There's no counterplay to that.

30 minutes for cup rotation also seems a little long assuming cups have 3 tracks like in single player. Why not just have it randomly rotate through every track available? At least the connection seems pretty good, it's not laggy or anything. I can see this being a big hit if they make some easy fixes.

jadedpony

Jun 4, 2019
Two items should be the standard, and it would also prevent frenzies which are unsurprisingly awful in MP. I played a friendly race against jadedpony where I had a bit of a lead going into the second lap of New York Minute 2 and pulled a coin frenzy. What were they supposed to do? I turned invincible and got to cut corners in the park to go even faster while I was already winning. There's no counterplay to that.
Hahaha, good game Camjo-Z! I was brushing my teeth getting ready for work when I jumped in. I only planned on the one race but it automatically jumped to the next so I said hey, why not. With Wario on NYM, I kept getting bob-ombs which were useless playing one handed and I didn't even know you got a frenzy, hahaha.

Our second race was also unfair. I got two frenzies. One coin and one fireball. I assumed there was no way for you to catch up at that point but I think that you were still pretty close. Especially since only one racer can frenzy at the same time, it's unlikely for someone behind to catch up. Races being capped at two laps doesn't help the situation either. Maybe we need three laps in multiplayer and the two item slots limit like you're saying as well.

Jumping into a random race wasn't working which is why I went to create a lobby which just stuck me right into a game. I was expecting more granularity though I haven't played much online Mario Kart admittedly. I was hoping for a way to chat pre/post race but I know Nintendo has been notorious for not having chat at least in the past. This is all I got so far from the few minutes that I played.
First place is already at 40K. I'll be taking second then since I'm not doing any pipe pulls for Yoshi.
I've been trying to decide if I'll wait to pull for Pauline too. I've yet to put effort into the ranked cup but my chances there will probably determine whether I pull or not.

Been focusing on five starring cups after exp gains and I've already finished the challenges. I really wish they were more difficult. The only one that required any sort of effort was the five bob-ombs in one race with a mustached driver. It was annoying but at least it was actually kind of difficult, sigh 😔

I can't wait until all of my d/k/g's are at max exp. I'm almost there. I'm not really sure what I'll do once I get to that point. I feel like my drive to play daily will probably wane since I'll just be farming coins and grinding player level. I do like the ranked cup but, eventually you reach your gear's scoring limit. Some sort of ranked multiplayer mode would be highly desirable to me.

Last edited:

RedNalgene

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing multiplayer is only in there to load test the servers and test out connectivity. There's no way the gameplay stays like this...it's sorta dumb the way it is now.

In other news, I made 4 pulls on the 10 pipe and got holiday yoshi and the holiday sled kart, plus OG Pauline, Pit Crew Toad (twice), and a few other interesting Super items. One of the best sets of pulls I've had thus far (up to this point I'd gotten a grand total of 0 high end anything in the pulls). Holiday Yoshi makes me smile every time.

maxxatom

Nov 6, 2017
Kansas City
I am here to echo complaints about MP. On a technical side, I just kept having items disappear or function incorrectly. I never played 8 online. Did it have similar issues?

Unless there are rewards or unlockables tied to it, I really don't see myself playing it too much! I care much more about collecting things than I do about actual competition.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I am here to echo complaints about MP. On a technical side, I just kept having items disappear or function incorrectly. I never played 8 online. Did it have similar issues?

Unless there are rewards or unlockables tied to it, I really don't see myself playing it too much! I care much more about collecting things than I do about actual competition.
Mario Kart always had very good online playability, even on the Wii.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
For anyone without gold pass who wants to get the MKT multiplayer experience, I've got you covered. Behold, a race in which I get hit by lightning three times in a row and fail to gain a single position with a red shell frenzy.

The connection usually feels OK, but that race was just horrific.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Yeah, +1 for multiplayer just not working in its current incarnation. Rewards and such are probably just not in until they launch publicly which is fine, but it doesn't change the character tiering being awful, the connections being junk, and frenzies having no place in an actual competitive match.

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Played quite a bit of multiplayer just now, here's my thoughts and impressions.

-- This definitely is a stress test and nowhere near ready to be a "real" launch.
-- Lag everywhere for opponents placement, whether I hit them, get hit by them, placement of bananas and mushrooms on the ground, etc.
-- Long delays for either getting into a match or at the results screen.
-- I am happy though that they cycle you through courses instead of backing you out to the lobby.
-- Doing only 1 cup repeatedly for a long duration is a bummer honestly.
-- This kind of proves that frenzies have no place in actual multiplayer. It's the insanity of items in regular MK ramped up to bullshit.
-- The lack of the end race point ranking kind of removes the fun things about the regular game, so you aren't rewarded for collecting coins or stringing tricks like you normally are. (It also makes the tier 3 karts and gliders useless)
-- Everyone plays as the same 1 or 2 characters that are Tier 3 and easily accessible which is funny at first but gets old.
-- Lack of EXP rewards or any incentive for this mode hurts it. I'm hoping this is only for the beta though.
-- At least its something to do in week 2 other than playing the same ranked cup over and over.

Aside from getting the performance of it right, my overall thoughts is they need to pick 1 of 2 camps. Either add in the point system beyond the frenzies, so the "winner" is who gets the most points rather than 1st. Or secondly, make this a fair and balanced mode like regular MK. So I'd say no point bonuses at all, and everyone gets 2 item slots with no "tiers". To be honest I'd say the latter option is much better, but I wouldn't mind having both as optional modes.

FCJO

Dec 17, 2019
Thank you so much to everyone who added me! I was able to complete both "Add certain quantity of friends" challenges, but you all are free to keep adding me if you wish. All of you have some amazing scores. I wish I had better luck with the Launch Pipe, haha.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
It may be a stress test, but they're making people pay for the privilege of playing it, so I don't mind giving them plenty of constructive feedback.

Aside from getting the performance of it right, my overall thoughts is they need to pick 1 of 2 camps. Either add in the point system beyond the frenzies, so the "winner" is who gets the most points rather than 1st. Or secondly, make this a fair and balanced mode like regular MK. So I'd say no point bonuses at all, and everyone gets 2 item slots with no "tiers". To be honest I'd say the latter option is much better, but I wouldn't mind having both as optional modes.

Normal races will probably be a lot more appealing once they tone down the item spam and add some form of rewards / progression. Score races would be a cool alternate option but I don't trust them to not make it blatantly P2W. Making the races three laps would also be a huge improvement. Two just doesn't feel long enough when you don't have to worry about score, especially on tiny tracks like NYM2 that feel like they're over just as they were getting started.

Mr. Blue Sky

Oct 25, 2017
I keep seeing the winning based on scoring idea going around but I'm kind of curious as to how much victory placement via that method would actually vary compared to position. If they leave character and part tiers in that just makes it p2w so do they just neutralize everything to all just give the same bonus? Do they also give everyone the same points that come from your level and placement or keep that similar to the normal cups? I'm genuinely curious.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I keep seeing the winning based on scoring idea going around but I'm kind of curious as to how much victory placement via that method would actually vary compared to position. If they leave character and part tiers in that just makes it p2w so do they just neutralize everything to all just give the same bonus? Do they also give everyone the same points that come from your level and placement or keep that similar to the normal cups? I'm genuinely curious.

There's no way to keep it truly competitive without throwing tiers, leveling, and all that other nonsense out the window. That stuff is fun solo but has no place in MP. All gear would give the same bonus, the only thing that should vary is your choice of character / special item and maybe increased item chance from a glider. Ditch the disruptive frenzies and add the Star back into item rotation.

It would be interesting compared to victory purely based on position since someone who comes in first but ignores combo opportunities to get there could end up losing to someone who settles for third but hits every coin/trick and uses items wisely to extend their combos. I think it could be a legitimately great side mode alongside normal races if done right.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta hope a 10 pull tomorrow gets me a high end or two. Pretty much my only chance to being competitive for this week's ranked cup.

I'm fine with cups having basically only high ends as top tier, but I wish the competitive cups had more of the more common stuff be high tier. Feels like they are specifically picking the cups where you need high ends to be the competitive ones though, and I'm sure that's working out for them monetarily.

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen speculation that Nintendo will do a real multiplayer launch shortly after the beta but I really hope that isn't the case. Things are so bad in it's current state that I can only imagine them faceplanting when they inevitably try to monetize it as part of a service.

This Daisy Hills score....disgusting
EMVZFDdX0AA63Sx

Yikes, here I thought my 15k was a lot.

maxxatom

Nov 6, 2017
Kansas City
I just want to find a guide of someone doing it so I at least know I'm taking the correct path.

Also, would it be more beneficial to use my gold glider even though it's tier two?

fb0RTUg_d.jpg

SapphireZora

Mar 14, 2018
If there's a Metal Mario in my shop and I have a Level 1 Metal Mario already, should I buy him for 12k to level him to Level 2 (I have 13k) or is it better to save the coins. Any opinions?

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If there's a Metal Mario in my shop and I have a Level 1 Metal Mario already, should I buy him for 12k to level him to Level 2 (I have 13k) or is it better to save the coins. Any opinions?

It's up to you, but Metal Mario HAS shown up as a gold tour giveaway prize in the past and may again. That may be a reason to hold off for a different high end driver to show up in your shop. Then again who knows when/if he will show up as a giveaway again, so… 🤷🏻‍♂️

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017

If you don't foresee wanting anything else expensive from the shop any time soon, go for it.

Also, I'd recommend getting either Metal Mario, Dry Bowser, or Peachette to Level 6 before trying to level up the others, since they're the only three high-end drivers that can appear in the shop. Once they're Level 6 they get replaced in the shop by a high-end skill ticket that you can use on spotlight drivers that are hard to level up otherwise. So if you already have Peachette or Dry Bowser above Level 1, you may want to save your coins for when one of them shows up.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I do not have the three item characters for two of the three races in this cup, so I'm SOL with points. ha
It's okay, though. I think I might invest in the Gold Pass for a month or so. Seems worthwhile for a little bit.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've managed to squeeze 8000 points out of New York minute, despite not having a tier three driver, cart, OR glider. I think that's about all I'm going to get there. I'm pretty much just aiming to stay out of the zone where I lose overall position.

jadedpony

Jun 4, 2019
Oh god I don't have party time Pauline or Waluigi...next week's cup is going to be a bust
Swooper is my only high-end d/k/g on NYM2. On NYM2T for this week, I have zero high-end d/k/g's...

This tour might break me, ah hahahaha 🙃
Gotta hope a 10 pull tomorrow gets me a high end or two. Pretty much my only chance to being competitive for this week's ranked cup.
After weeks of finishing no lower than top three, I'm currently in 11th in my group 😐

I figured my best chance was to pull Reindeer Yoshi so I used up all of the rubies I had to no avail.

At least this weekend I finally pulled Luigi, grabbed B Dasher from the shop and purchased the New Years 2020 glider because why not.

maxxatom

Nov 6, 2017
Kansas City
How come New York Minute 2T isn't listed as one of Wairo's favorite courses, but in one cup he gets three items for it and then in a different cup he gets two items for the same exact course?

Mr. Blue Sky

Oct 25, 2017
How come New York Minute 2T isn't listed as one of Wairo's favorite courses, but in one cup he gets three items for it and then in a different cup he gets two items for the same exact course?
The cups give a tier bonus to whatever driver it's named after. So while Wario is normally Tier 2 on NYM2T the one in the Wario Cup moves him up one tier to 3, alongside getting bumped up to T2 on the other two tracks in the cup. This also apparently pertains to certain karts and gliders I think but I don't know which ones apply to what cup.

maxxatom

Nov 6, 2017
Kansas City
The cups give a tier bonus to whatever driver it's named after. So while Wario is normally Tier 2 on NYM2T the one in the Wario Cup moves him up one tier to 3, alongside getting bumped up to T2 on the other two tracks in the cup. This also apparently pertains to certain karts and gliders I think but I don't know which ones apply to what cup.
Oh, interesting. I knew it had to be some mechanic but I didn't put the pieces together.

I am currently 1.5k from first, but I just dont know if I have it in me to do it

10,590 on Ghost Valley
15,910 on Daisy Hill
11,789 on New York Minute

I feel like I've peaked.

mingo

Oct 25, 2017
London
Only 250 point from 1st place in this weeks cup, I've been holding off getting a higher score on daisy hill since 2 out the last 3 cups I've been pipped to first in the last few hours of the cup. This time I'm gonna wait till the last few hours to try and improve my daisy hill score.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
At 9th with 28.6k this week lol.

9.2k on Ghost Valley with 2 frenzies. Level 2 King Boo, level 1 Trickster, level 1 Rainy Balloons.
12k on Daisy Hills. Level 2 Daisy, level 2 Daytripper, level 3 Flower Glider.
7.2k on New York Minute, don't have top shelf for anything so that's an impossible task.

I think I can do much better on Daisy Hills but I just cannot hold my combos, and for some reason I'm finding it so much harder to land on the roof than I used to, I'm just not gaining enough altitude to bounce on the balloon.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Oof, I spent so many level up tickets to get better scores on Ghost Valley 1R and Daisy Hills, and in the end I still only got 10th and ranked down with a score of 32k. That really stings. =/

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Got my first Tier downgrade. :(

Honestly, I dont really care. I spent a LONG time getting to first place the previous week so I had no urge to try hard on this week's.

I also haven't played much the last few days and my urge to return is waning a bit.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
After blowing 60 pulls to get king boo or rosalina in the Halloween banner and getting no super rare, I've been hoarding to try and get another character I'd be interested in. That character turned out to be new years Paulina.

I just did 70 pulls... And the only super rare I got... Was fucking peachette.

130 pulls and the only fucking super rare I got was fucking peachette. The character everyone got for free.

This game is a god damn joke.