• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What should be the next event?

• Tokyo

Votes: 70 57.9%
  • Paris

Votes: 26 21.5%
  • London

Votes: 25 20.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
After blowing 60 pulls to get king boo or rosalina in the Halloween banner and getting no super rare, I've been hoarding to try and get another character I'd be interested in. That character turned out to be new years Paulina.

I just did 70 pulls... And the only super rare I got... Was fucking peachette.

130 pulls and the only fucking super rare I got was fucking peachette. The character everyone got for free.

This game is a god damn joke.
Next time save 100 pulls.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
ffAkXpj.png

Took me 7 full pulls, but I got Party Time Pauline. (And four of the other High-Ends.) Got most of the Super and Normal stuff I wanted too, except for Birdo.

Last edited:

Trrzs

Oct 29, 2017
I got second for like 100 points, the first place in my rank was at 45k, it was impossible. 40 pulls and I got Pauline Party and Santa Mario, yay! The other interesting thing was the Birdo Kart but I think is pretty ok. I'm thinking about to save those 45 rubies for next tour because I really want New Year Toad but maybe I could use them expecting a Xmas mirscle to get Reindeer Yoshi with a single 10x pull haha.

RPG

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Decided to try my luck with 10 pulls this morning. Wound up netting Pauline and Birdo on the second try and leveled up a bunch of lower tier drivers to 3. Not a bad XMas pull.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017

YouTube version.

So New Year's Mario, New Year's Toad, Red Yoshi, and Gold Freerunner Koopa as the new characters. Also looks like Hakama Mario and Halloween Rosalina will be back. (Plus most of the previous limited time High-End drivers it seems.)

Last edited:

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK

YouTube version.

So New Years Mario, New Years Toad, Red Yoshi, and Green (or Gold?) Freerunner Koopa as the new characters. Also looks like Hakama Mario and Halloween Rosalina will be back.

That Mario is "Happi Mario" as he wears this same outfit in Super Mario Odyssey.

Happi_headband_happi_outfit.jpg

Hakama Mario is a different outfit. Both traditional Japanese outfits but different.
99d756f5f30a7397c78dd5a80ff9d94d.png

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Now that I'm watching the trailer on a proper computer, it definitely does look like the Gold Koopa Freerunner.

Also, I spotted Musician Mario, Kimono Peach, and Luigi's Mansion King Boo, so it looks like all the tour specific drivers are coming back this tour. (Not including the ones from the three holiday tours, besides Party Time Pauline.) New Year's is a really big deal in Japan, and a lot of the tradition is based around fortune, so I wonder if they're going to do a Pipe that's just all previous special drivers, or some sort of random draw.

That Mario is "Happi Mario" as he wears this same outfit in Super Mario Odyssey.
Yes, a happi is a coat usually worn at festivals, though I was under the impression it's more for warmer weather holidays. A hakama is a more traditional and formal outfit.

So summing things up, if the trailer is accurate, the following new and returning special drivers should be included in the New Year's Tour:

New Year's/Happi Mario
New Year's Toad
Red Yoshi
Gold Freerunner Koopa
Musician Mario
Kimono Peach
Hakama Mario
Halloween Rosalina
Luigi's Mansion King Boo
Party Time Pauline

NickHyde

Oct 26, 2017
The "hit 5 people with bob ombs in a single track" is the most insane and luck based challange I've seen so far. Did you guys complete it? Even with a bob omb up glider it's hard to get them

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I never want to play that rainbow road r again lol. Finally got a run with 0 combo breaks and 3 fenzies...... Now to hope I stay in 1st 😂😂😂

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
I canceled my gold pass and used quick/star tickets to eke out the remaining rewards. I might resubscribe in 3 weeks, but I'm just not sure if the value is there anymore. There's just such a push to constantly get the new spotlights, and the old ones end up feeling useless.

They really have to do something about the Ruby situation, too. There's just not enough ways to get them. Before it was kind of mitigated because of the coin shop and being able to buy characters with coins. But they've limited the coin shop to only certain characters/gear and placed so much focus on spotlights that having the gold pass feels useless.

The "hit 5 people with bob ombs in a single track" is the most insane and luck based challange I've seen so far. Did you guys complete it? Even with a bob omb up glider it's hard to get them
That challenge is basically made for Wario since his special is the Double Bob-omb. New York Minute 2T is the best choice since it's one of his favored tracks in Wario Cup, and if you're lucky you can end up with a Double Bob-omb frenzy. That track is also particularly narrow, so it's easier to hit multiple people.

If you don't have Wario it's much trickier. Remember that you're most likely to get Bob-ombs when you're in like 3rd-6th place. Turn auto-item off and save Bob-ombs when you get them, then lay them in a narrow section of the track and pray.

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wow we got the next tour's trailer pretty early! Hoping I'm lucky enough to pull Party Toad. Also it's cool to see a lot of the spotlights back in rotation for this event.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I have the B-Dasher in the shop today and can afford it... I can't decide whether to pull the trigger. I don't need it for any particular track right now or anything, but it's always been a favorite of mine and I have never pulled it.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I have the B-Dasher in the shop today and can afford it... I can't decide whether to pull the trigger. I don't need it for any particular track right now or anything, but it's always been a favorite of mine and I have never pulled it.

I say go for it, might as well have the widest possible variety of karts. You'll be grateful when you come across that one track where you really need to get a good score and it's Tier 3.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, done! It does have six courses where it's top tier, so that's pretty good odds I'll need it at some point.

mingo

Oct 25, 2017
London
Cant wait for this tour to be over, stressing over keeping 2nd with 3 others within 200 points. 1st is gone.

Got f'd over on the New York track with no top tier in any category. Got a score of 8.5k whilst everyone else is on 12k plus.

I did manage to get the gold glider in the shop though!

maxxatom

Nov 6, 2017
Kansas City
Rainbow Road R in the Pauline Cup is complete bullshit and makes me hate Nintendo.
It just feels very arbitrary. It's really hard for me to keep a combo and whenever I get into a groove I somehow ALWAYS get hit by a bowser shell? Plus I am convinced that that section with the left turn and the three rainbow "boosts" isn't working as intended and always breaks my streak.

someone in my ranking grouping has over 19k on it as Waluigi 🙂

Last edited:

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It just feels very arbitrary. It's really hard for me to keep a combo and whenever I get into a groove I somehow ALWAYS get hit by a bowser shell? Plus I am convinced that that section with the left turn and the three rainbow "boosts" isn't working as intended and always breaks my streak.

someone in my ranking grouping has over 19k on it as Waluigi 🙂
I got 19k with waluigi.... Took so long to get the right combos going because as you said after the twist pipe there is a problem with the combo ending quickly. So had to reset everytime that happen. Got a combo of I think around 117 with 3 frenzies . I had a run of no frenzies for about 10 racing.

maxxatom

Nov 6, 2017
Kansas City
I got 19k with waluigi.... Took so long to get the right combos going because as you said after the twist pipe there is a problem with the combo ending quickly. So had to reset everytime that happen. Got a combo of I think around 117 with 3 frenzies . I had a run of no frenzies for about 10 racing.

Teach me your ways! How do you get past the curve???

Trrzs

Oct 29, 2017
Finally at first place with 43.8k and an advantage of 1.2k. Circle pray to keep our place until the end of the tour!

PD: any tips to clear the "50 coins with a character in a dress" challenge?

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Finally at first place with 43.8k and an advantage of 1.2k. Circle pray to keep our place until the end of the tour!

PD: any tips to clear the "50 coins with a character in a dress" challenge?
I managed it with New Year's Pauline and the gold glider on Rainbow Road R on a low CC. Coins, Coin Boxes and the frenzies put me over.

RPG

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Woo! Managed to get a great run on Rainbow Road and jumped from 3rd to 1st with 6 minutes to spare. Rank 31 and finally cleared board 2-4.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
>past spotlights have increased drop rates
yes
>50 rubies for this tour's log-in bonuses
YES
>Gold Koopa with Coin Box as gold pass gift
YES

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
There's NINE High-Ends in the new pipe, so a great time to spend rubies to fill out your roster and gear.

Mr. Blue Sky

Oct 25, 2017
Managed to snag 1st in the last hour of the last cup for the nice victory pool + board 2-4 gem payout which seems perfect for the new high end pipe this tour.

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yay got to tier 30! Got a big payday there by finishing the challenge board and unlocking the next.

Also great to see how generous the new tour is! Old high ends back in the pipe at a higher rate, and 5 rubies per day!

Trrzs

Oct 29, 2017
The Party Toad Pipe won't have old spotlight characters right? I really wanted the new Toad but his special is the useless mushroom cannon and this pipe is too good to not spend all my rubies on it...