• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What should be the next event?

• Tokyo

Votes: 70 57.9%
  • Paris

Votes: 26 21.5%
  • London

Votes: 25 20.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Got Party Time Toad and his kart/glider in my first 20 pulls of the new pipe! My gacha luck has returned... for now.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Well I had really good characters for this cup and managed to get 46k. Top guy has 53k. No way I can get that. Oh well!

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Oh, my 5th 10-pull had 4 high-ends in it! Happi Mario, Musician Mario, Crimson Crane, and that taxi high-end that was given out last tour for Gold Pass subscribers. Also got the pink flower super glider.

I was hoping for either Pauline, but ah well. This certainly makes up for the previous three 10-pulls I did where the only worthwhile thing I got was Pit Crew Toad. I'm now at 5/9 high-ends halfway through the pipe, which is more like it.

It's nice to have a Tier 3 driver/kart/glider for all the ranked cup courses now. I had King Boo for Tokyo Blur 2R, but neither of the Tier 3 gliders.

EDIT: Oh, and I finally got my Gold Glider to level 6! Now skill level-up tickets will appear in the shop. =)

rabidtanuki

Oct 28, 2017
My girlfriend is a bitate to the party, but currentky looking for friends. If anyone would be so kind as to add her it would be appreciated.

Username: Gerudork
User ID: 105967081596

Tom_Cody

Oct 28, 2017
I have a 6k lead in the ranked cup and no one has moved up since yesterday morning. I'm not complaining, but the ranked cups have been a seesaw affair for me since they increased the cap from 20. First I'll dominate one week, then the next week I will have to fight to merely not lose ranking, and then I'll get an easy win again the following week. I really like the score attack gameplay, so it's sort of the worst of both worlds where I'll go from being hopelessly outgunned one week to having no pressure of competition at all the next.

Has this seesawing been merely a coincidence for me? Or do the rest of ya'll see swings in ranked difficult based on your previous week's performance?

My girlfriend is a bitate to the party, but currentky looking for friends. If anyone would be so kind as to add her it would be appreciated.

Username: Gerudork
User ID: 105967081596
Added. Happy to help with those early challenges.

RedNalgene

Oct 25, 2017
I have a 6k lead in the ranked cup and no one has moved up since yesterday morning. I'm not complaining, but the ranked cups have been a seesaw affair for me since they increased the cap from 20. First I'll dominate one week, then the next week I will have to fight to merely not lose ranking, and then I'll get an easy win again the following week. I really like the score attack gameplay, so it's sort of the worst of both worlds where I'll go from being hopelessly outgunned one week to having no pressure of competition at all the next.

Has this seesawing been merely a coincidence for me? Or do the rest of ya'll see swings in ranked difficult based on your previous week's performance?

Same for me. Crushed it last week (got 1st fairly easily). This week I'm in 10th and am behind 1st by like 12k. I know there are some points I can make up with a few lucky runs, but I'm not making up 12k. Will be lucky to just not go down a tier.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Ice Tour is the next tour. Who could these High-End Spotlights be? 🤔

EN5WGM4UwAABqLT.png

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The one on the left is definitely Peach's costume from Odyssey that she wears in the Cap Kingdom.

The one on the right is also the Penguin suit. I can't really tell if it is Mario or Luigi in there though. Most impressions seem to think it is Luigi so I'll go with that, it's time he got an alt.

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So given the rumors of a 3D World port this year, I'm hoping we get a cool tie-in tour for it. Would be nice to see new racers like Sprixie Princess, Plessie, Boom Boom, and Pom Pom.
It would probably be Tanooki Mario and Cat Peach from MK8D but I want to dream.

mingo

Oct 25, 2017
London
14k behind 1st place, sitting at 7th place....

I done 4 10 pulls and had a gold pipe each time but didnt pull any that would help me increase my score lol!

jadedpony

Jun 4, 2019
14k behind 1st place, sitting at 7th place....

I done 4 10 pulls and had a gold pipe each time but didnt pull any that would help me increase my score lol!
10.2k behind 1st and sitting at 11th in tier 29...

I've had great luck getting gliders with the three 10 pulls and couple of singles that I did but, that's still not helping me.
All that I wanted was to hit level 30 this time! 😥

I had a lot of free time sitting in the hospital waiting while my FIL had surgery that was successful but, I haven't been able to scrape up any points to place higher. Everyone on reddit is bitching about the same issue so it's not just you, hahaha.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Dropped down to 4th now at 41.4k, and 5th is only 200 points behind me.

Ranked is just getting harder and harder, and the already stingy rubies are drying up.

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm at 7th right now and I give up, not even bothering for a higher rank. Competition was way too dang hard this time. Hope the next one is better adjusted in difficulty.

Tom_Cody

Oct 28, 2017
Someone passed me by about 400 points 2 hours ago after I had been sitting pretty in 1st basically all week. I spent the last hour in a final effort to reclaim 1st but it's not going to happen. Damn damn damn. While I was trying in vain to increase my score he improved his own score even more and now I'm 1,100 points behind.

This dude had been in ~10 all week and then he just shot ahead. This must be the first time he had made a serious effort. I even used a high-end level up ticket as part of my effort to stave him off. Damn damn.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I just got to 2nd with a 500-point lead on 3rd. I think it will be enough for that. The run that took me over the edge was Waluigi Pinball, where I got a Boomerang Flower Frenzy at the start (which hit everyone lol) and two Coin Frenzies. I don't think I've ever gotten three frenzies in one race (three good frenzies at that) as a common character before, even if he's level 3.

Not even gonna bother with getting 1st. They're 10k ahead. It'd be a complete waste of time.

EDIT: Sucks when you put in all that hard work to get a 10-pull and all you get is garbage. *sigh*

Last edited:

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017

Ice Tour trailer. New characters are Wintertime Peach, Penguin Luigi, and Ice Mario (lol), all High-End.

New returning tracks include Frappe Snowland, and Vanilla Lake, a first for a Mario Kart!

Last edited:

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
oh, it's galaxy ice mario.
that's cool, i guess.

Glad we're actually getting some tracks that haven't been seen a while, at least.

JonathanEx

Oct 25, 2017
RIP to this week's ranking cup. Two of the races require brand new High-Ends.
Oh, delightful.

I feel validated in my choice to stop the gold pass now. The only real thing I've got to progress in is the rankings (level 30 being the blocker of any more challenges), but as the player base has got to more hardcore players than a mix of casual it feels like the last few ranking tours have very much been pay-to-win, because even if you grind like hell for the chance of some lucky frenzies, there's still a cap based on what you have. Feels a bit sour to be subscribing and it become a bit less fun with that being the main goal at the moment. I'll play for free, it's not like it was particularly generous on the gold pass either...

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Random thoughts...

-- Ice flower is a cool powerup addition, though I've been only on the receiving end so far so it's been unpleasant.

-- Frappe Snowland is cool but... wow Vanilla Lake is finally back after nearly 30 years!!! Really cool surprise, now all SNES Super Mario Kart tracks have been brought back into the series, at least for the general track themes.
Now the biggest missing piece from that game is DK Jr.

-- Ranking cups are garbage now, way too difficult to advance. Thought this week they may ease up but nope. Probably going down a tier, no idea how I will ever reach tier 40.

-- I'm a bit sad there's been no Lakitu News Update or Special Artwork on the Twitter page for over a month now. They used to be on a consistent schedule of every other week, but I wonder if Nintendo is cutting back on them now that the game is getting older?

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Last week's ranking was a joke, I gladly settled for one tier down after seeing the absurd scores I was up against. Haven't reached this week's cup yet but apparently it's similarly bad? Not sure why Nintendo's getting so greedy, I was hoping the reasonable $2 New Year's glider pack was a sign that they were finding better ways to monetize but I see we're back to shameless P2W ranked cups and $40 high ends.

At least they gave us two nice courses this tour, Frappe Snowland is simple but fun and I was pleasantly surprised to see Vanilla Lake 1 make its grand return. Ice Flower is a cool new item too, hopefully I manage to get Penguin Luigi or Ice Mario on next week's pipe so I can use it.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I think it means that featured karts and gliders won't get an additional bonus for the tour. Basically it'll be easier for F2P players to be competitive in ranking.

Also, as expected, Pauline has been added to the common pool of drivers.
Actually, it means that karts and gliders will no longer get tier boosts from tours. While it wasn't immediately obvious, karts and gliders did receive those kinds of boosts before, just like drivers do. For example, during a Luigi Tour, the Poltergust 4000 would get boosted a tier like Luigi would get boosted a tier.

In the end, it's an overall net negative for us since it means karts and gliders that are tier 2 for certain courses will now always be tier 2 for those courses, instead of being boosted to tier 3 every now and then.

Resetti

Oct 25, 2017
the 2020 glider bundle & new year login bonus gave me hope but...
last ranking cup & this tour in general sure is a slap in my face

maxxatom

Nov 6, 2017
Kansas City
Actually, it means that karts and gliders will no longer get tier boosts from tours. While it wasn't immediately obvious, karts and gliders did receive those kinds of boosts before, just like drivers do. For example, during a Luigi Tour, the Poltergust 4000 would get boosted a tier like Luigi would get boosted a tier.

In the end, it's an overall net negative for us since it means karts and gliders that are tier 2 for certain courses will now always be tier 2 for those courses, instead of being boosted to tier 3 every now and then.
I love that all the updates and changes clearly don't benefit the player. At least they went back on changing the challenge reward to a quick ticket.

Pineconn

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
I see the direction this game is continuing toward, and I'm happy not to be part of it anymore. Feels good to continue to purge all these "daily" games (time wasters) from my life.

Mr. Blue Sky

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this tour seems like the final nail in the coffin for a lot of players if the reddit is anything to go by. I could barely afford to care enough last tour to do more than just grind out the daily exp bonus since the cups were getting far too competitive without paying up anything and this weeks one just decided to drop all subtly of the fact.

maxxatom

Nov 6, 2017
Kansas City
Yeah, this tour seems like the final nail in the coffin for a lot of players if the reddit is anything to go by. I could barely afford to care enough last tour to do more than just grind out the daily exp bonus since the cups were getting far too competitive without paying up anything and this weeks one just decided to drop all subtly of the fact.
Yeah, I was to the point where I didn't even attempt to compete last week, and without those ranked rubies there is even less motivation to do anything. I might just derp around but I don't see myself investing energy moving forward unless there are sweeping changes which most likely will not occur

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm kind of at a standstill. I've been a gold pass subscriber since day one, but I'm kind of out of rubies with no real chance to get more. I'm out of challenges (other than the one they add each week that gets you 5) until I hit tier 30. But two cups ago when I was at tier 27 and could have hit it, I had some bad luck and after 5 10-pulls got zero spotlight characters. So instead of being in the mix for first, I instead ranked so low I lost a tier and fell to 26 (and more importantly got zero rubies).

Then thanks in part to the giveaway, a couple of level ups and the tour rewards, (plus buying the 1.99 package) I scraped together enough for about 3 ten pulls on the next cup, but I didn't get New Years Mario or Toad, or any spotlight karts or gliders, so once again, I couldn't even crack the rank level where you maintain tier... I lost ANOTHER one, and still no more rubies.

And now that the new cup has started, I have zero rubies except the ones I'm starting to gain through tour progression, but those combined with the challenges and will only equal about one 10-pull in the end. There's no daily giveaway this time. The ranked cup REQUIRES spotlight characters/components this time. But there's really no way to get them, unless I buy rubies for crazy high prices. I'm willing to drop $5 a month, and I'm willing to occasionally grab a 1.99 thing or even a little more. But I'm not going to spend $40 to get the ice Mario package! Yet, that's basically the only option at this point. The only alternative is to continue to sink a tier every two weeks and never get any new stuff beyond a single ten pull, maybe two per cup. And this is as a paying player!

It's a catch 22 - I can't get any more rubies without pulling some spotlight characters/parts, but I can't pull those without any rubies.

🤷‍♂️ I mean, I hate to pile on, but there's literally not many options here. I get the paying per season structure of say Fortnite or Clash Royale, but those give you crazy amounts of new material for it, and it's not $40-$70 per season like MKT wants, it's $5 per season which I'm already paying and have been for months.

I hate to bow out on this, because I like the game on paper, but it's unreal how stingy they became. A lot of games punish F2P players for not being on the gold pass (or equivalent), but MKT is punishing gold pass players for not being high spenders!

Last edited:

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Funny, my Parafoil just became level 6 as well lol. That and the Gold Glider are my only two level 6 things.

The Daytripper kart is very close behind, with only 1 copy away from being level 6. I'm tempted to use a ticket for it, but since it's purchasable from the shop I'm going to resist the urge to do that unless I need it for a ranked cup. The red Cheep Cheep kart is also at level 5, but needs like 10 more copies.

As for characters, Metal Mario is level 5 but still needs 3 copies. Only other ones near that are Baby Daisy and DK, both at level 4 (DK is almost level 5, though).

So in terms of categories, the only ones that are lagging behind in terms of levels are Super gliders and High-End karts.

Pineconn

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
I'm so proud that nobody in my tier has purchased the stupid ass Ice Mario. Who knows if it stays that way when the tour is almost over, heh.