• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nbz

Oct 26, 2017
UK
So the same as Mario Run? Some free content then payment for the full thing in app? Interesting considering the relative lack of monetary success they saw with Mario Run, but hey, if their main purpose is improving IP recognition to drive consumers to Switch its probably a good call

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
So the same as Mario Run? Some free content then payment for the full thing in app? Interesting considering the relative lack of monetary success they saw with Mario Run, but hey, if their main purpose is improving IP recognition to drive consumers to Switch its probably a good call

No it's probably f2p. Nintendo also says fire emblem heroes and AC Pocket Camp are "free to start"

Oct 25, 2017
It's Free to Play. Free to start was a denomination made by Iwata because he thought that F2P name is concealment, while Free to start represents better the fact that you will(probably) spend some money in the game.

Innuendo84

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's wrong with "shareware" term? That used to have a meaning equivalent to free-to-start. Or is it too old school?

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary

Free-to-play. Just like ACPC.

edit: I am slow. :(

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
What's wrong with "shareware" term? That used to have a meaning equivalent to free-to-start. Or is it too old school?
It's not self-evident. It contains "share", so is it something that's freely shared? When I was a kid I thought it meant "paid" or something like that as opposed to "freeware" (I didn't speak english).

"Free-to-play" is also not self-evident, but it's entered common talk and got its own meaning like "DLC". "Free-to-start" is self-evident but only used by Nintendo.

Oct 28, 2017
I hope the game is shit and they milk everyone and make tons of money from terrible microtransactions. It's what everyone deserves.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can understand calling Super Mario Run a "free-to-start" game, but if it's anything like Animal Crossing than that's some disingenuous usage of the term.

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo has been really slow on mobile. C'mon Ninty, where's my Kirby, Metroid, Zelda, XenoBlade, WarioWare and Rithym Heaven mobile?

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
Free to start is how nintendo says free to play. Because F2P is a marketing thing, since all F2P games are actually only free to start games. You either pay to keep playing with your time or with money straight up.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I was trying to remember what games were free to start lol.

I think this follows the same monetisation model as FEH and ACPC. Not Super Mario Run.
Yeah, DeNA explicitly called Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing "Free To Start".

DeNA chief executive Isao Mariyasu said in an interview with Wall Street Journal "Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing are both free-to-start apps." He also added that the two titles will be more "pure-game apps" compared to social networking app Miitomo.

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2016/05/1...ure-game-apps-free-start/#Bqo2bP7B5kCcYRFF.99

Oct 30, 2017
I can understand calling Super Mario Run a "free-to-start" game, but if it's anything like Animal Crossing than that's some disingenuous usage of the term.

I consider free to start a far better term than free to play for the majority of free games. Anything with an energy system, that kind of thing, eventually you will have to pay if you want to keep playing in that session. Free to play, in my mind, implies less restrictions on gameplay.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
F2P is the right choice. The market doesn't really embraced full-priced apps these days.
Man, I'm really hoping this game has a nice gameplay loop. AC:PC's not very engaging at all.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
Imagine the number of broken phones because of Blue Shells.

N00MKRAD

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Not surprising. Wonder how the actual game will be, and how they make it worse than MK8.

corn_fest

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder how they will turn this series into a joyless gatcha Skinner box. They did a good job with Animal Crossing.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I'm guessing this will have the same effect on me as every Nintendo mobile title thus far;

"Sweet. I'm going to go play the Switch version now."

I know I'm not the primary audience, and great stuff if this increases Nintendo's market share.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017

Why do you consider that disingenuous? I can go start playing Animal Crossing on my phone right now without paying any money. That is literally as "free to start" as you can get.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Fuel will be the stamina.
We'll probably have a gacha car parts system too.

I'd see it similar to that Sonic Forces runners game where after each race you get experience for a random character, with maybe an option to set a favourite so that character has a slightly higher chance to show up as the random character that gets experience at the end.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
So I'm guessing you get the trimmed down Download Play package like in Mario Kart 7, where you cant pick your character or kart, and you probably only get 1 track.
If you like that, you can pay $10 or whatever the price is, and unlock the full thing.

If it's good I'll pay. If not, I won't. Just like any other game.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm guessing you get the trimmed down Download Play package like in Mario Kart 7, where you cant pick your character or kart, and you probably only get 1 track.
If you like that, you can pay $10 or whatever the price is, and unlock the full thing.

No. You can't pay to unlock. It will have in-app purchases like FEH and AC.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why do you consider that disingenuous? I can go start playing Animal Crossing on my phone right now without paying any money. That is literally as "free to start" as you can get.
Free to start seems to imply there will be fees in order to continue, like Super Mario Run. Free to play means you get the game, but it has microtransactions, like Animal Crossing.

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
Mario Kart Tour? This is the first time I'm hearing about this shit.
I think there was one thread about it and it never showed up again. I didn't see it until after it was mentioned either.
It's because it was announced during the financial results briefing. Or rather, since they had to talk about it during the briefing, they had to make a quick announcement about it at the same time so that it wouldn't be weird.
So it might have been drowned in the other Nintendo news coming from the briefing (sales reports etc.).

BareKnuckle

Oct 26, 2017
I'm guessing this will have the same effect on me as every Nintendo mobile title thus far;

"Sweet. I'm going to go play the Switch version now."

I know I'm not the primary audience, and great stuff if this increases Nintendo's market share.

If their intention is to advertise their brands and sell their hardware so you play the games exclusive to it for FAR more than the price of the app then it's working perfectly.

Jan 10, 2018
I think there was one thread about it and it never showed up again. I didn't see it until after it was mentioned either.

Mario Kart Tour has been announced 1 week ago.

The market angrily rejected that model. Not gonna happen.