• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Mario Kart Wii has sold five times as many units as Mario Kart 8 (Wii U version) during FY2018

Jan 10, 2018
France
Mario Kart Wii went From 37.10M in March 2018 to 37.20M in March 2019

Mario Kart 8 on Wii U went from 8.42M to 8.44M in the same timeframe.

So, in the last 12 months, MKWii sold 100k units while MK8 only sold 20k. The following chart was made by Daedardus to help you all comprehend this.

This was already the case for FY2017 as MKWii sold 150k units vs 110k units for MK8.
I guess it makes sense since MK8 is available in the form of MK8D whereas MKWii isn't available elsewhere (and since there are far more people with a Wii without MKWii than with a WiiU without MK8).
But still, MKWii is a beast like no other

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
The Wii U is truly and completely dead.
The Switch was a complete reboot company-wide and it shows, with all the re-releases and updated ports.

Nov 8, 2017
There are about 10 times as many Wiis out there as Wii U's, and you can play Mario Kart 8 on the Switch as you pointed out. But a game selling 100k units on a long dead system is still very impressive.

Dec 28, 2017
100k sales for a game on a system that released 13 years ago holy moly

Mario Kart the forevergreen that literally never stops selling. The game itself released over a decade ago. That's fucking nuts. There are publishers who would kill to have 100k legs 2-3 years deep let alone 11

Nov 6, 2017
That's because people can't buy Mario Kart Wii Deluxe on the Switch.
But seriously, the legs this game has is absolutely insane.

Oct 25, 2017
I used to work in retail during the Wii U days, and the Wii was always more popular than the Wii U.

Nintendo completely failed to bring a successor to the Wii with Wii U.

Oct 26, 2017
Mario Kart Wii selling 100k is one thing.

Mario Kart 8 only selling 20k is pure "holy hell that's abysmal".

This was Wii U's number one selling game right? Does anyone need more evidence of Wii U being dead? Just goes to show how utterly dreadful the system performed, and I was like the #1 supporter of it succeeding and getting support. It's just clear as day.

Oct 30, 2017

This was Wii U's number one selling game right? Does anyone need more evidence of Wii U being dead? Just goes to show how utterly dreadful the system performed, and I was like the #1 supporter of it succeeding and getting support. It's just clear as day.
I mean the system literally hasn’t even been in production for 2 years now.

Oct 25, 2017

MK8D exists so MK8 selling so much does not really make sense.

Apr 1, 2019
It makes a lot of sense, seeing that the Wii was a very popular platform while the Wii U isn't.

The Wii U is truly and completely dead.
The Switch was a complete reboot company-wide and it shows, with all the re-releases and updated ports.
It's very telling that some of the ports on the Switch have outsold the original versions on the Wii U, like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, & The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. And by big margins.

Nintendo have made the Switch very popular.

Feb 22, 2018
they still use a Wii in a retirement home nearby where I live. It's only games AFAIK are Wii Sports and Wii Fit, still popular by the elderly haha.

I don't blame 'em. Wii Sports is a gem.

Oct 25, 2017

The Wii U has been dead since March 3rd, 2017 and everyone accepted it then.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
If you were a big enough Nintendo fan to own a Wii U, you almost definitely have a Switch, and if so there's like 0 reason to get MK8 over MK8D. Not surprising.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm the retail buyer for a small chain of indie game shops and we still sell new copies of Punch-Out!!!, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, SMG2, Skyward Sword on the regular.
New copies of Skyward Sword?? That shit was hard to find anywhere after the Wii U came out.

Oct 31, 2017
To be honest I find it impressive that mk8 for wii u is still shipping. The attach ratio of that game is insane.

It's not crazy that people are still playing Mario Kart Wii in 2018, it's crazy that people are still buying it.
Here in Sweden most of the Nintendo select line is still available online.

Oct 28, 2017
It’s impressive, considering that MK Wii is a multiplayer game that gets generally superseded by the next game(or three in this case) in the series