• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
According to the other thread, this means Nintendo shouldn't have released MK8 or MK7 because MK Wii continued to sell for a long time though.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/wh...ario-kart-ultimate-announcement-at-e3.114083/
It was always stupid reasoning and has never stopped sequels getting made. Like 7 and 8 basically came out in the same generation the difference is Nintendo had two systems at the time. There's no reason to not make another Mario Kart on the Switch. With that being said between Arms and the mobile game the Mario Kart team is kind of a wild card right now so who knows.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
What makes you say it's better than 8??

8 is far better, the anti-grav, the characters & tracks (especially after the DLC).
It's kinda analogous to Melee, though it's not nearly as widespread an opinion (largely because Mario Kart has a relatively small amount of people who play it seriously). It has just the right balance of simplicity and tech skill when played competitively; older Mario Karts skew a bit towards too much tech skill, newer ones are a little too simple mechanically.

Additionally, people who prefer Wii also tend to prefer its item balance. In 8, getting hit by an item is far more devastating then using an item is helpful - which can often result in runaway leads and the race feeling out of grasp by lap 2. In Wii, a simple mushroom can propel you 3-5 places on most tracks if used at the right time.

There's also a decent mod scene. The most popular custom track pack (which you can still find online matches for on custom servers) adds 216 tracks.

Last edited:

robjoh

Oct 31, 2017
It was always stupid reasoning and has never stopped sequels getting made. Like 7 and 8 basically came out in the same generation the difference is Nintendo had two systems at the time. There's no reason to not make another Mario Kart on the Switch. With that being said between Arms and the mobile game the Mario Kart team is kind of a wild card right now so who knows.

I think it all depends on how long Nintendo will try to push the lifetime of the Switch. Letting the Mario Kart team make one more new IP might help Switch more than another Mario Kart.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
According to the other thread, this means Nintendo shouldn't have released MK8 or MK7 because MK Wii continued to sell for a long time though.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/wh...ario-kart-ultimate-announcement-at-e3.114083/

The logic against the existence of a MK9 this gen in that thread was "Well because MK8 is still selling" which is ridiculous, because MK games traditionally always have long sales tales, but it was hand waved away as being different.

The data has determined, that is a lie.

We will get a MK9 this gen for the same reasons we get one every gen. And MK8D will probably have a long tail and still sell regardless, just like MKWii. Just because 8 sells doesnt mean they shouldn't make a new one. Thats never ever been the case before. I don't understand why its expected that it would magically be the case now. MKWii sold over 30 million and is still moving units. We wouldnt have gotten 8 at all if this logic was consistent.

As much as I'd like to see Mario Kart 9 this gen, I think we'll have to wait until next gen for it. We already got 2 Mario Kart games this gen, MK7 and MK8, and unless Nintendo wants to do MK9 on Switch and Mario Kart 9 DX on Switch 2, I think they'll save MK9 until SW2.