• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Mario Kart Wii went From 37.10M in March 2018 to 37.20M in March 2019
xxSqSIF.jpg

EJDYRnI.jpg

Mario Kart 8 on Wii U went from 8.42M to 8.44M in the same timeframe.
WTj2Izk.jpg

57H5a5s.jpg

So, in the last 12 months, MKWii sold 100k units while MK8 only sold 20k. The following chart was made by Daedardus to help you all comprehend this.

This was already the case for FY2017 as MKWii sold 150k units vs 110k units for MK8.
I guess it makes sense since MK8 is available in the form of MK8D whereas MKWii isn't available elsewhere (and since there are far more people with a Wii without MKWii than with a WiiU without MK8).
But still, MKWii is a beast like no other

Last edited:

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
The Wii U is truly and completely dead.
The Switch was a complete reboot company-wide and it shows, with all the re-releases and updated ports.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
There are about 10 times as many Wiis out there as Wii U's, and you can play Mario Kart 8 on the Switch as you pointed out. But a game selling 100k units on a long dead system is still very impressive.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
The gap between Mario Kart 8 and Mario Kart 9 is going to be the widest in series history and is gonna be excruciating for those of us that ain't into buying games twice.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
100k sales for a game on a system that released 13 years ago holy moly

Mario Kart the forevergreen that literally never stops selling. The game itself released over a decade ago. That's fucking nuts. There are publishers who would kill to have 100k legs 2-3 years deep let alone 11

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure whatever inventory of Wii Nintendo has left is the Mario Kart bundle so that contributes to that.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
It's not crazy that people are still playing Mario Kart Wii in 2018, it's crazy that people are still buying it.

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
That's because people can't buy Mario Kart Wii Deluxe on the Switch.
But seriously, the legs this game has is absolutely insane.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I used to work in retail during the Wii U days, and the Wii was always more popular than the Wii U.

Nintendo completely failed to bring a successor to the Wii with Wii U.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm rooting for MK8(D) to overtake MKWii in the long run, but can't help but admire the immortality of this game.

Mar 5, 2019
Mario Kart Wii is the only one I've never owned. Perhaps I'll buy it new at the very last chance I can when it's taken off the market in 10 years.

Oct 26, 2017
Mario Kart Wii selling 100k is one thing.

Mario Kart 8 only selling 20k is pure "holy hell that's abysmal".

This was Wii U's number one selling game right? Does anyone need more evidence of Wii U being dead? Just goes to show how utterly dreadful the system performed, and I was like the #1 supporter of it succeeding and getting support. It's just clear as day.

Deleted member 26156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

This was Wii U's number one selling game right? Does anyone need more evidence of Wii U being dead? Just goes to show how utterly dreadful the system performed, and I was like the #1 supporter of it succeeding and getting support. It's just clear as day.
I mean the system literally hasn't even been in production for 2 years now.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

MK8D exists so MK8 selling so much does not really make sense.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
It makes a lot of sense, seeing that the Wii was a very popular platform while the Wii U isn't.

The Wii U is truly and completely dead.
The Switch was a complete reboot company-wide and it shows, with all the re-releases and updated ports.

It's very telling that some of the ports on the Switch have outsold the original versions on the Wii U, like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, & The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. And by big margins.

Nintendo have made the Switch very popular.

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
they still use a Wii in a retirement home nearby where I live. It's only games AFAIK are Wii Sports and Wii Fit, still popular by the elderly haha.

I don't blame 'em. Wii Sports is a gem.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017

The Wii U has been dead since March 3rd, 2017 and everyone accepted it then.

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Kart Wii is a great Mario Kart game, better than 8. Hats off to whoever gets to enjoy that entry for the first time in 2018.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
If you were a big enough Nintendo fan to own a Wii U, you almost definitely have a Switch, and if so there's like 0 reason to get MK8 over MK8D. Not surprising.

robjoh

Oct 31, 2017
To be honest I find it impressive that mk8 for wii u is still shipping. The attach ratio of that game is insane.

It's not crazy that people are still playing Mario Kart Wii in 2018, it's crazy that people are still buying it.

Here in Sweden most of the Nintendo select line is still available online.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
It's impressive, considering that MK Wii is a multiplayer game that gets generally superseded by the next game(or three in this case) in the series