• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
This sounds like aminor step forwards (getting the best mini games together) and major steps back. Disappointed. Another Mario Party I'm not buying. Another filler entry in the 3DS library.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Purely timing. It was available at a point when I had time, money, and the right console to play it. I have a Wii, but when it was hooked up I never had time to play it. Might be worth getting it out and hooking it up again to see how this compares to some of the old entries.

Yeah, that's a good reason of course.

If you want to get Mario Party 2 on Wii Virtual Console, it's available until March. After that, you can't add Wii Points anymore so you can't buy anything more unless you have stocked points into the service. In case you're interested in that.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
I admittedly haven't played the game yet (I'll probably rent it like I have with every MP game since Party Island or whatever it was called) but I posted my thoughts on the game based on reviews and my impressions from the review thread so I'll paste that here:

Not surprising. The biggest problem in a sea of issues with all of the MP games not made by Hudson(RIP) is the lack of a compelling board game.

The best MP games (2,3,6) have a solid combination of three elements:

- Skill (For winning the minigames, which play a big factor int how well you can do on the boards)

- Strategy (For knowing what items to buy and when to use them, as well as keeping track of player totals so you know what your goal should be)

- Luck (To keep things exciting so, unless one player is clearly better than everyone else, there's always a chance at a comeback)

The MP games that have been made since 2012 have all lacked the Skill and Strategy and just come down to luck nearly every time.

Completely removing the bad attempts at board games doesn't fix the newest MP games wither, as Top 100 proves. The boards are an important staple of a good MP game and, among other mistakes, is what's keeping all these post-Hudson games from being good.

I bought every MP game up until 9 (besides Advanced) and I just stopped caring. Me and 2 of my best buddies (used to be 3) still play the best games in the series to this day from time to time and always get really invested. I wish MP got back on track but just like Paper Mario, I doubt it will (at least Color Splash was mostly passable).

At this point, do any of you think Nintendo will admit defeat and go back to how the Hudson games played? I don't think it's gonna happen, tbh.

Nintendo is often a very stubborn company. When they release hit after hit, it's great, but when a series of theirs starts to decline, they rarely turn things around. Look at F-Zero, Star Fox, Paper Mario, the Mario Sports games, and arguably Mario & Luigi. Metroid is a rare exception.

OP
OP
Stopdoor

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I admittedly haven't played the game yet (I'll probably rent it like I have with every MP game since Party Island or whatever it was called) but I posted my thoughts on the game based on reviews and my impressions from the review thread so I'll paste that here:

At this point, do any of you think Nintendo will admit defeat and go back to how the Hudson games played? I don't think it's gonna happen, tbh.

Nintendo is often a very stubborn company. When they release hit after hit, it's great, but when a series of theirs starts to decline, they rarely turn things around. Look at F-Zero, Star Fox, Paper Mario, the Mario Sports games, and arguably Mario & Luigi. Metroid is a rare exception.

Yeah, it's really hard to see them "go back" to how the games used to be. The gap of time and changeover of developer between Mario Party 8 and 9 created a hard gap in philosophy. It's nice that this has been the first kind of "throwback" to the old games since then, and makes you think maybe they'll reconsider that kind of big break, but it seems a bit wasted here when the board game mode is still abysmal.

I'm sure with casual players they really don't see a difference in sales between current and old Mario Party games, so they don't have much push to challenge themselves or devote more development time.

Mario Party is honestly such a pure example of a series that benefits so much from being a "video game" entirely through its design through minigames and extremely hilarious board game events, and even in the classic entries that potential has always felt rushed and so a bit wasted. It sucks.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure with casual players they really don't see a difference in sales between current and old Mario Party games, so they don't have much push to challenge themselves or devote more development time.

Wasn't Mario Party 10 a big flop compared to the previous entries? It's not like they can put out anything regardless of quality and the sales won't suffer.

Now, it's an entirely different matter if they care about sales suffering, but at least the players care even if Nintendo doesn't.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Wasn't Mario Party 10 a big flop compared to the previous entries? It's not like they can put out anything regardless of quality and the sales won't suffer.

Now, it's an entirely different matter if they care about sales suffering, but at least the players care even if Nintendo doesn't.

MP 10 was not a flop considering the system.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
MP 10 was not a flop considering the system.

Wasn't it? They also didn't follow it up with another game. It should have been cheap to make Mario Party 11 with the same engine.

Instead of that, the series has gone handheld only for the latest installments, when previously the handheld games used to be a once in a generation thing.

OP
OP
Stopdoor

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Where do you even get information like this? Like people just convince themselves what they want to be true, is.

Doing a super quick review of sketchy wiki pages it looks like MP10 sold about as much or more than all the entries outside of the Wii/DS anomalies. Selling to a similar number is also impressive considering the Wii U install base is the worst of the lot - it's literally charted as the 10th game in Nintendo's official Top 10 Wii U software sales.

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Mario_Party

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/software/wiiu.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stopdoor

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Wasn't it? They also didn't follow it up with another game. It should have been cheap to make Mario Party 11 with the same engine.

Instead of that, the series has gone handheld only for the latest installments, when previously the handheld games used to be a once in a generation thing.

Nd Cube also developed Wii Party U and Amiibo Festival for Wii U, so they were still busy pumping out party games even if it wasn't all Mario Party.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Doing a super quick review of sketchy wiki pages it looks like MP10 sold about as much or more than all the entries outside of the Wii/DS anomalies. Selling to a similar number is also impressive considering the Wii U install base is the worst of the lot - it's literally charted as the 10th game in Nintendo's official Top 10 Wii U software sales.

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Mario_Party

Thanks for that info. I was mostly going by the Wii/DS sales which were much bigger as you say, and the Japanese sales, where MP10 underperformed. Guess it must have done better worldwide.

Nd Cube also developed Wii Party U and Amiibo Festival for Wii U, so they were still busy pumping out party games even if it wasn't all Mario Party.

Yeah, I completely forgot about Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival, and I guess most people did. Now that's a bonafide flop.

A Mario Party 11 in place of Animal Crossing AF should have by all accounts done better.

OP
OP
Stopdoor

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Thanks for that info. I was mostly going by the Wii/DS sales which were much bigger as you say, and the Japanese sales, where MP10 underperformed. Guess it must have done better worldwide.

Yeah, I completely forgot about Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival, and I guess most people did. Now that's a bonafide flop.

A Mario Party 11 in place of Animal Crossing AF should have by all accounts done better.

Yeah, it is pretty disappointing Amiibo Festival happened over MP11.

There was something rotten at the gameplay core of that game though that just makes me question Nd Cube entirely. It's not just rushed dev time, they keep making these questionable design decisions.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I don't believe Amiibo Festival happened instead of a MP 11 rather why allocate dev resources to a game where profit isn't gonna maximized and instead do something cheap and recognizable and push development back for the NX

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
So while this title provides no meaningful wrapper for the games outside of Minigame Match (which is just another Balloon Bash map from Star Rush with some extra items), it's actually a fairly decent selection of games.

I just wish they gave some other reason to play them. One or two more boards would've been enough to keep this from being a middling title in my eyes.

I'll never understand their obsession with the weirdo puzzle minigames they keep throwing in as unlockables. It'd be nice to hear from some puzzle game expert if these designs are worth bringing back over and over again.
I don't know about expert, but I think the MP puzzle games are fun enough. Nothing special, but decent enough time wasters that can get challenging if you're going for a high score.

That said the three they picked for this are pretty basic ones. I'll never get over MPDS having each one in the series up to that point, and it kinda irks me that they haven't followed up on that since.

Last edited:

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Nd Cube did Amiibo Festival as well? Shouldn't be too surprised by that...

Honestly, I wonder how much Nd Cube cares about the games they're making. Is it higher ups at Nintendo demanding these titles to be as lackluster as they are or is Nd simply one of Nintendo's worst development teams?

tokkan

Nov 1, 2017
My kids are enjoying the multi-player of Kirby Planet Robobot and I thought a MP game could be good for them to share (well, for one to get as a b-day present tbh). Is Star Rush the better choice? I've never really played MP before.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
My kids are enjoying the multi-player of Kirby Planet Robobot and I thought a MP game could be good for them to share (well, for one to get as a b-day present tbh). Is Star Rush the better choice? I've never really played MP before.

I don't know what the Planet Robobot multiplayer is like, but depending on their age, it sounds like this could be better for them than a more traditional title like Star Rush, since this focuses squarely on the minigames. But then again, isn't one or even both of the earlier titles available as Nintendo Selects? Wouldn't be too expensive to get both.

OP
OP
Stopdoor

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Yeah, Star Rush is easily recommended over this one, it's the best 3DS Mario Party. It has more single player unlockables/goals as well, so could keep kids a bit more busy too.

Mario Party Island Tour is also on 3DS and I'd still recommend it over this one as well. Or even Mario Party DS if you think they could stomach more retro games.

No granite getaway from 6?

Nope, there's a lot of missing gems. At least there's a decent proportion of games from MP5 and MP6.

Tanooki

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Picked this game up today and played through the campaign, and it was a lot of fun getting to play some of the classic games again. I can't wait to get to play this with some friends.