• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
mario-pikachu-796x447.jpg

Now that Mario Odyssey is out many of us have already started wondering what Nintendo should do for a possible sequel. Most agree that the Cappy mechanics and world structure can be expanded upon, but how do they avoid being redundant? Galaxy 2 is a great game, but also very similar to Galaxy 1. Nintendo could continue its world tour gimmick and enemy capture, but it might not have the same magic the second time around. There is novelty in capturing goombas, koopas, and chain chomps this time around, but by SMO2 we will be saying, "Oh great, another goomba puzzle." Mario visiting a real life New York city is a breath of fresh air, but where is he supposed to go next? Boston? LA? BORING.

Therefore there is only one logical solution: interdimensional travel to the other Wonderful Worlds of Nintendo™. Instead of visiting places inspired by real-world locals or traditional Mario-esque stages, Mario could plop himself smack dab in the middle of different Nintendo games. This would give Mario a completely new array of enemies to capture. Mario could visit Hyrule and take over Lizalfos, Poes, Moblins, Wallmasters, Octoroks, Lynels etc. Or imagine a Metroid.... WITH A MARIO MUSTACHE AND HAT. Not to mention the sheer abundance of options you could have if Mario visited a Pokemon world. You know how people want Pokemon Switch to be a fully realized 3D world you can interact with in new ways? What if we had that... BUT YOU WERE MARIO.

Having every world only be Nintendo focused might be off-putting to more casual fans who only play Mario, so I think you could still have a mix of Mario worlds, real worlds, and other Nintendo worlds. So what Nintendo-themed worlds would you like to see Mario travel to? What enemies could he possess?

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly thought this might have happened whilst playing Odyssey. I think the fact that we've had worlds referencing non-nintendo franchises certainly means that full on Zelda and Metroid worlds are a possibility in the future.

InkyVulture

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like Kingdom Hearts. But why not? I still remember some kid trying to trick me into thinking Link was in Kingdom Hearts and I soured on the franchise when it turned out not to be true (I was a kid ok?), so it does kind of feel poetic to me to have that kind of levels in a Mario game.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I haven't finished yet but I was indeed holding out hope that Odyssey would do some crossover stuff with maybe Zelda, Metroid, Star Fox, F-zero, etc. Mario playing dress-up as these characters would be super fun.

Maybe next time.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
I think this is Nintendo's "break in case of emergency" tool. If they ever feel they're going down, they can just make an ultimate Mario game like this. All will be fixed.

But I can't see it happening soon. As much as I would indeed like to see it.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I hope not and there are still many cool places Mario could visit in the form of kingdoms in future dlc or Odyssey 2. Delfino Island and Dinosaur Island or whatever from Super Mario World come to mind along with places from other Mario games like Paper Mario could be featured as kingdoms.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
nope, i wouldn't want that. i wasn't even that happy with other characters getting into mario kart.
just make another game if you want to bring people from different franchises together

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
I personally think, since Nintendo is already cross-pollinating so many of their franchises (Smash obviously, Mario Kart), the mainline Mario games should try and keep their distance a little bit. I think a similar approach to your suggestion that would work just as well would be to have Mario revisit several of the worlds from past Mario titles.

Just like the Mushroom Kingdom that unlocks at the end of SMO

Nilaul

Oct 26, 2017
Greece
That's great Idea, but don't make it a Mario game. Call it "Super Bros Worlds" or something in that vain.

You could have multiple selectable characters that all impact how the game is played and what paths can be taken and what unlockables can be obtained.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I'd be down for a straight up Mario Kingdom Hearts clone where he has some narrative reason to visit all of Nintendo's IPs although I do think that would work better if it's a new character doing the visiting and not Mario himself.

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do it like MK8 and have dlc worlds for Odyssey that reference other Nintendo games.

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017
The fact that there's no Link Outfit in Odyssey is a real bummer (at least I don't think there is)

Since they showed what a blended Hyrule in Mario art-style would look like in Mario Kart 8, I'd love to have play in a Kingdom that looked like that - complete with Deku Babas, Skulltulas, Octoroks, Keese and Stalfos, Rupees, Epona and all the other things Zelda has to offer.

Metroid has enough material to have its own world for that matter - maybe Kirby too? Splatoon could be a little like a reverse Mario Sunshine, and more in the style of it's Single Player Campaign. F-Zero and Star Fox are a bit dry on locale designs (but could be good as one offs)

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
While that sounds cool in concept, you do realize how weird The Pokémon Company can be about crossovers, right? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading an article saying that Sakurai had to go to TPC individually for approval on each playable Pokémon in Smash. Hell, he couldn't even use the modern shiny colors for said Pokémon in Smash 4.

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
Captain N: The Videogame... I could use.

I *think* there was a pair of levels in Super Mario 3D World/Land inspired by other Nintendo games: in 3D Land there was a top down world that even had a few Zelda sound effects and 3D World has a Mario Kart inspired level.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe one or two as a neat treat, much like how a certain kingdom is a neat nod. Wouldn't want a whole game based around it. Let them go wild with the freedom of anything rather than be constrained with the expectation of pre-existing ideas.

Same thing for Mario Kart.