• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Apr 21, 2018
As I said in the other thread, an absolutely incredible amount of content and could be one of the best Switch multiplayer games instantly.

I hope the skateboarding/rock-climbing-surfing/judo aren't complete duds though.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I want this to be good, but at the end of the day the events need to be fun to play, and that's where this series tends to falter. I'll still keep an eye on it though

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
This series really benefited from the focus on one system compared to having handle portable and console versions.

Looks like a legit good and polished title.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Is...is that shirtless Eggman?

I was gonna complain about what looks like a small-ish roster, but there does seem to be a lot of costume changes to fit the events, so that might be why.

RetroDLC

Oct 27, 2017
That's some Sonic Riders-esque shit at the 2m13s mark. The retro games look great too. I'll probably buy this in the far flung future.

Edit: Since Eggman and Wario get topless, will we see topless Waluigi too?

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
I did think that with the Olympics being in Tokyo may help them try and make this one the definitive version. I always enjoy their Olympic titles but this one at the moment looks a cut above the rest.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
I did think that with the Olympics being in Tokyo may help them try and make this one the definitive version. I always enjoy their Olympic titles but this one at the moment looks a cut above the rest.

Yes.
But the game doesn't seem to have some unlockables features (characters or events).

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo
That's AAA quality right there.

This game is shaping up to be amazing!

I'm very positively surprised as I've always been so disappointed by this type of game...

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Glad you made a thread for this trailer. It's insane.

Is...is that shirtless Eggman?

I was gonna complain about what looks like a small-ish roster, but there does seem to be a lot of costume changes to fit the events, so that might be why.
The main roster of characters has been unchanged since the second game, and I feel like that's the reason why. Would be nice if, after all these entries, they would expand the main roster a bit. There are a lot of characters only available to specific events which is just weird to me.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I want this to be good, but at the end of the day the events need to be fun to play, and that's where this series tends to falter. I'll still keep an eye on it though
Iirc, the director on this one is responsible for the best one of these previously? I'm really liking a bunch of what I'm seeing for this.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Glad you made a thread for this trailer. It's insane.

The main roster of characters has been unchanged since the second game, and I feel like that's the reason why. Would be nice if, after all these entries, they would expand the main roster a bit. There are a lot of characters only available to specific events which is just weird to me.
Yep we need playable K Rool

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Wow that was an epic trailer! Cannot wait to buy this. Last game I bought was the first one on Wii.

I would love to have a Mario & Sonic RPG game

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Make a whole game around the dream events

Or expand on some of the normal ones. I would pay $60 for a fully fleshed out Mario/Sonic boxing game

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
i hope this is not the last Mario & Sonic game.
I want a new Winter olympic game too.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
As soon as I saw that trailer I knew people would be talking Eggman's nipples.

Anyway, I've never played this series before. Looks like they're going all out on this entry. Maybe it's time.
Are "dream events" just mini what-if events? Or are they fleshed out some? Is that what the hover-boarding was?

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Are "dream events" just mini what-if events? Or are they fleshed out some? Is that what the hover-boarding was?

Dream events were generally modified events that incorporate mechanics like items (and sometimes super moves, but those seem to be in some standard events now too) and areas based on Sonic's and Mario's worlds. The ones in this game seem completely different from any of the standard events though, like dream karate being a 4 player arena brawler rather than just the Karate mini-game with items thrown in.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
Dream events were generally modified events that incorporate mechanics like items (and sometimes super moves, but those seem to be in some standard events now too) and areas based on Sonic's and Mario's worlds. The ones in this game seem completely different from any of the standard events though, like dream karate being a 4 player arena brawler rather than just the Karate mini-game with items thrown in.

Wait,it's the dream karate?
oh wow this is weird.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
The two new trailers in the past day have really have changed a lot of people's minds (including my own). London was a (relatively) high bar for this game to reach, but they're definitely trying. As someone who has kinda cared about this sub-series, I only have two problems with Tokyo 2020 from what we've seen:
  • We're still stuck with the same 20 character roster for the fifth game in a row. It doesn't even seem like we'll get Event-Excluisive characters like Rio did, which is a bummer.
  • There are only three Dream Events total. Still an improvement over Rio's zero, but a far-cry from the 10 in London (and none of them seem as crazy as stuff like Spacewalk).
But ignoring those, there are a ton of good points:
  • The number of events is finally back up to where London was. Rio failed to impress with only 14 of them.
  • Everything about the Tokyo 1964 mode is great (I can forgive the small character roster). It's a decent compromise for a smaller Dream Event selection.
  • There may only be a few, but Dream Events are (thankfully) back.
  • They finally tried putting together a Story Mode for a console installment, and it doesn't look that bad. The minigames in the JP trailer seem pretty neat.
In all, it really seems like Sega are putting effort into this one; definitely on my radar. Just hope the remix selections don't disappoint.

Last edited:

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Is this the first time we see shirtless Mario and Sonic characters?
Screen_Shot_2017_09_14_at_11.02.47_AM.0.png

Well, there's Odyssey for Mario.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I think this game could pull close to Mario Party numbers if it is done as well as it looks.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I can't understand a story mode in a game like this. I think those resources would be better dedicated in other modes or more sports.

Metalmucil

Aug 17, 2019
Man this is really making me miss those old Olympic/Decathlon style titles that were all about timing and button mashing. My brother and I used to spend hours one-upping each other in those.