• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018

2pZwSvp.png

4L6YUfK.png

METACRITIC: 69 / OPENCRITIC:
fair-man.png

REVIEW THREAD

0tu6dMV.png

Mario & Sonic 2020 is the sixth installment in the series.
Gameplay is traditional Minigame sports game.
21 Olympic Events can be played with motion controllers or button controls.
10 Retro Events can only be played with button controls, retro style
Minigames controller options depend on the minigame
There is also Online mode and Local multiplaye
r

TOKYO 2020 EVENTS:
  • 100m Dash
  • 110m Hurdles
  • 4x100m Relay
  • Javelin Throw
  • Triple Jump
  • Discus Throw
  • Badminton (Singles or Doubles)
  • Skateboarding - Park (new)
  • Sport Climbing (new)
  • Football
  • 100m Freestyle
  • Equestrian - Jumping (Individual or Team)
  • Fencing (Individual or Team)
  • Canoe Double (C-2) 1000m
  • Karate - Kumite (new)
  • Boxing
  • Surfing - Shortboard (new)
  • Gymnastics - Floor Exercise
  • Rugby Sevens
  • Table Tennis
  • Archery
TOKYO 1964 EVENTS (RETRO)
  • 100M
  • 400M Hurdles
  • Long Jump
  • Marathon
  • 10M Platform
  • Vault
  • Kayak (K-1) 1000m
  • Judo
  • Volleyball
  • Shooting - Trap
DREAM EVENTS
  • Dream Racing
  • Dream Shooting
  • Dream Karate
MINIGAMES

• Tokyo Tower Climbing: A minigame where Tails climbs Tokyo Tower.
  • A minigame where Luigi has to find four specific Toads in a large crowd.
  • A minigame where Tails has to fight a wave of Shy Guys.
  • A Boss Battle-style minigame against Metal Sonic where Luigi has to steal a Rugby ball from an Egg Pawn, perform a Try in the center of the stage, and kick the ball with enough power to damage Metal Sonic within the time limit.
  • An Archery style minigame where Tails has to shoot Egg Pawns and avoid the spiked balls they throw
  • A Boss Battle-style minigame where Mario drives the Tornado and shoots enemies and has to shoot Dr. Eggman.
  • A Boss Battle-style minigame where Sonic is running on a road and must catch up to Dr. Eggman's car and attack it enough times before the time limit runs out.
  • A minigame where Sonic runs along a bridge while avoiding obstacles to catch up to a train the Dr. Eggman is sitting in.
  • A minigame where Mario has to find Keys.
  • A minigame where Mario races Bowser on a boat.

izFdSyG.png

tumblr_pwkddqyHMV1xq97yeo1_400.gif

nNN47R0.gif
bzydixro4sbfmpwaamkw.gif
DisloyalCoordinatedJoey-size_restricted.gif
ar5st.png
sc6t27.png

sc6t22.png
sc6t21.png
sc6cxq.png

You can find the character descriptions clicking the link to official character page above

CHARACTERS

TEAM MARIO

• Mario
  • Luigi
  • Peach
  • Daisy
  • Bowser
  • Wario
  • Waluigi
  • Yoshi
  • Donkey Kong
  • Bowser Jr.
TEAM SONIC
  • Sonic
  • Tails
  • Knuckles
  • Amy
  • Dr.Eggman
  • Shadow
  • Silver
  • Metal Sonic
  • Blaze
  • Vector

This was my first ever OT and I messed up because I thought that the release date for Europe (8th Nov) was universal and then I panicked. But here it at least is.
Hopefully everyone is enjoying the game. I am getting it first thing tomorrow.

FAQ: COMING SOON

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
It's actually pretty decent. I'd give it around 75/80 out of 100.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the OT. This is my first M&S game. With all it's faults, it is an absolute blast with a local party. Me and two other people played this on release night for so many hours. Main reason I wanted to pick it up, so happy to see it's a major success in that regard.

Online is so poorly thought out though. Great you can play everything but so dumb you have to lobby up for each game.

OP
OP
Timppis

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Thanks for the OT. This is my first M&S game. With all it's faults, it is an absolute blast with a local party. Me and two other people played this on release night for so many hours. Main reason I wanted to pick it up, so happy to see it's a major success in that regard.

Online is so poorly thought out though. Great you can play everything but so dumb you have to lobby up for each game.

I've played all of them and I am really excited for this one even though critics weren't. I have yet to understand why none of the olympic games offer massive amount of different tournaments and modes. It would fit these games better than anything.

The OT is great hahaha
It's actually pretty decent. I'd give it around 75/80 out of 100.
Thank you. This made me happy :)

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is there a mode in this with original 2D sprites? How does that work?

I saw some clips of that and was instantly smitten.. reminded me of the amazing NES Remix titles. (Where is (S)NES Remix Switch????)

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Playing this in a group yesterday was a fucking blast.

It's insane how much effort went into the Tokyo 1964 games. We could've played Judo and Volleyball for hours. IPPON!

L71ZnBW.gif

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I've played all of them and I am really excited for this one even though critics weren't. I have yet to understand why none of the olympic games offer massive amount of different tournaments and modes. It would fit these games better than anything.

Thank you. This made me happy :)
I meant the game lol, but the OT is 100/100. :)

OP
OP
Timppis

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Is there a mode in this with original 2D sprites? How does that work?

I saw some clips of that and was instantly smitten.. reminded me of the amazing NES Remix titles. (Where is (S)NES Remix Switch????)
There are 10 retrostyle events with the original sprites, 8bit for Mario and 16bit for Sonic.

I meant the game lol, but the OT is 100/100. :)
Oh damn. Glad to hear the game is solid 8 then.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
The only real flaw I can find with it so far is that between the Minigames and the 1964 games, they seem to have blown the sound team's budget and there isn't a gigantic library of lovingly crafted remixes.

...which is a big flaw for me considering that's always been the real draw of the series.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Playing this in a group yesterday was a fucking blast.

It's insane how much effort went into the Tokyo 1964 games. We could've played Judo and Volleyball for hours. IPPON!

L71ZnBW.gif

Judo is fucking AMAZING. 1v1 it may be my favorite game of the package. We discovered it late in the night and were hooked.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Saw some of my friends streaming it the other night, looks fun as hell with a bunch of people. Might see if my roommates are up for the game.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
I had a bunch of fun so far. The retro minigames are way better than I expected and the dream racing has my inner Riders fan happy. Karate also has more depth than i expected.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The game is alright, I don't really think it's much better or different than Rio on the Wii U. The retro events are the only kind of notable gimmick and I dunno, I was kind of disappointed they were only 1v1 and not 4-player.

Rio and Sochi also had some other interesting party side-modes that are lacking here, and I think the 3DS games were both pretty decent in their own ways, so I dunno if I think of anything here as that special.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing the story mode, just finished the hilarious Tails beat 'em up minigame. It's pretty good but it falls into the same trap that every story mode in these games has fallen into where they largely waste the Mario & Sonic license by feeling less like a crossover and more like Olympic propaganda. Don't get me wrong, I like all the factoids and trivia, but it would be nice if they got a little more ambitious with the character interactions. The best bits of the story are where Eggman and Bowser bicker like an old married couple, it makes you wish the whole game was filled with that sort of thing. I also like that they actually let Sonic be his snarky self this time, unlike previous story modes where he was totally mute like Mario. Oh, and the music is extremely good!

As for the gameplay, the selection of events this time is pretty nice. My favorite is definitely still Rugby Sevens from Rio, it's like Football but crazier and without that pesky goalkeeper. Make sure to change the settings to make periods 4 minutes long instead of 2 for maximum fun. Sport Climbing is pretty good too and Skateboarding is a fun event to just screw around in. The only cut I really miss from the previous game is Golf from the 3DS version, would have been great to have that but without the touch-controlled swinging. Also, count me as another person who was surprised at the quality of the 2D events, the few that are basically just 8-bit versions of 3D events are slightly lame but the original ones are quite decent.

The game is alright, I don't really think it's much better or different than Rio on the Wii U. The retro events are the only kind of notable gimmick and I dunno, I was kind of disappointed they were only 1v1 and not 4-player.

Rio and Sochi also had some other interesting party side-modes that are lacking here, and I think the 3DS games were both pretty decent in their own ways, so I dunno if I think of anything here as that special.

There are definitely some missing features I would have loved to see return, Heroes Showdown from Rio was great and I can't believe there's no option to do a series of events in quick succession like London 2012's medleys. It seems like the retro events and online play were the two main focuses this time, and admittedly I'll gladly take true online FINALLY being added to the series over any other modes being added (even if they did totally botch the ranked side of online).

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
There are definitely some missing features I would have loved to see return, Heroes Showdown from Rio was great and I can't believe there's no option to do a series of events in quick succession like London 2012's medleys. It seems like the retro events and online play were the two main focuses this time, and admittedly I'll gladly take true online FINALLY being added to the series over any other modes being added (even if they did totally botch the ranked side of online).

I'm kind of annoyed the local wireless play and online "free match" is actually lacking compared to the ranked mode, in that you can play some games with 8 players in ranked but only 4 in every other mode. So I dunno, I'm not really impressed with the online at all and would much rather they have filled out anything else if they couldn't even do the more "long-term functional" modes justice.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
It's a fun game, for sure. Short but pretty cool story mode and lots of varied mini-games that are fun to play with family and friends.

I just wish they didn't bork the online portion. Having a queue for each mini-game individually without seeing who's playing what was a horrendous decision. Maybe Sega will change things up but I heavily doubt it.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good lord it's so incredibly dumb how bad online is laid out. Me and two other strangers have been trying to get a skateboarding game going for like 15 minutes now by just rejoining each time it times us out. Not only is it designed in a way to severely fuck up the playercount, but the game won't start unless a certain playercount is reached. The system is designed to eat itself. And most games are perfectly playable with only two people.

Such a bummer. This would be such a breezy light competition online game I could go for sometimes. But it just ain't happening.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Good lord it's so incredibly dumb how bad online is laid out. Me and two other strangers have been trying to get a skateboarding game going for like 15 minutes now by just rejoining each time it times us out. Not only is it designed in a way to severely fuck up the playercount, but the game won't start unless a certain playercount is reached. The system is designed to eat itself. And most games are perfectly playable with only two people.

Such a bummer. This would be such a breezy light competition online game I could go for sometimes. But it just ain't happening.

The only sensible way to play online is to go to Free Match and pick Gather and Play, if there are no rooms currently open then make one yourself. You don't get any bragging rights like you would with Ranked mode, but at least you actually get to play.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The only sensible way to play online is to go to Free Match and pick Gather and Play, if there are no rooms currently open then make one yourself. You don't get any bragging rights like you would with Ranked mode, but at least you actually get to play.

Thanks for the tip, but wow this kind of makes it even worse with this perspective. Why couldn't that have done this with ranked? Even if they were worried about friends teaming up, they could have just made it completely random or something. And regardless it's still not that great, but knowing these systems of grouping up and going game to game are straight up IN THE GAME, it makes it even worse.

It's just amazing to me. Like with the right set up, this could very much have an online community like Mario Kart. This game has a similar type of audience. But it's like they've purposely made it shit.

also does anyone know if it divides you by motion/button control? That'd be the icing on this cake.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
While I'm at it, can we get come sort of community going here? Fuck yeah. Maybe we can make ranked work a little better, and have some fun in the mean time.

My friend code is SW-4110-4885-7810

Not gonna lie, I'm definitely gonna wanna be drinking to play this game online (which I am right now), but if I'm in that mood I'll play any sport hardcore.

Kill you all

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the tip, but wow this kind of makes it even worse with this perspective. Why couldn't that have done this with ranked? Even if they were worried about friends teaming up, they could have just made it completely random or something. And regardless it's still not that great, but knowing these systems of grouping up and going game to game are straight up IN THE GAME, it makes it even worse.

It's just amazing to me. Like with the right set up, this could very much have an online community like Mario Kart. This game has a similar type of audience. But it's like they've purposely made it shit.

also does anyone know if it divides you by motion/button control? That'd be the icing on this cake.

Thankfully control method doesn't seem to have any effect on who you get matched with, that would take it from painfully stupid to mindblowingly stupid.

I think what's really annoying is that the ranked system would be extremely easy to fix by just combining similar events into one category. Athletics, Head to Head, High Score, Dream Events. Bam, now players are only split between 4 options instead of 24. They should also completely get rid of the option to pick specific events in Free Play, either play Ranked or join a room. Sometimes too much choice is a bad thing!

While I'm at it, can we get come sort of community going here? Fuck yeah. Maybe we can make ranked work a little better, and have some fun in the mean time.

Added. If nothing else at least the 1v1 events will always be possible in Ranked.

My code is 6095-8813-2705 if anyone wants to add me!

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Football is the best event. I wish there was an option to make it longer because my friends and family love the thing. My second favorite is Dream Racing purely for the Riders vibe. The majority of minigames have a surprising amount of depth ! They're all really fun !

Edit: I'm down to play online with you guys. I'll add my friend code here next time I'm around my Switch.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Football is the best event. I wish there was an option to make it longer because my friends and family love the thing. My second favorite is Dream Racing purely for the Riders vibe. The majority of minigames have a surprising amount of depth ! They're all really fun !

Maybe you already know this, but if you press X when the cursor is over the event you can go into the settings and increase the length of some events, including Football.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
So far most of the events are fun but boxing is god awful.

edit: 8 bit volleyball is also fucking horrendous.

Last edited:

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Sorry for the massive bump but I wonder if the game will do anything due to the Olympics moving to next year. Will they have an update that changes it to the 2021 Olympics? They could even make a deluxe edition and expand on it for next year.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Sorry for the massive bump but I wonder if the game will do anything due to the Olympics moving to next year. Will they have an update that changes it to the 2021 Olympics? They could even make a deluxe edition and expand on it for next year.
Even delayed, the Olympics are still being called the Tokyo 2020 games. I wouldn't really expect anything since there hasn't been any post-launch support for it to begin with, but maybe they'll do something to promote it?