• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metacritic (69)
OpenCritic (68)

Console Creatures (no score):
Sega has delivered this fall's premier party game. This crossover between Mario and Sonic characters is such an accessible delight to experience with friends. If you are playing Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020, the story mode offers some incredible character moments, those moments outweigh the core gameplay. However, the minigames included are exceptional. While not every single game holds the same weight as the others, there are is enough variety to keep you engaged. The game offers a multitude of control schemes and while motion controls didn't enhance my experience, the immersion could speak to some players.

There's a lot of care and respect for the characters and the Olympics as a whole in this game. To see Sega put time and effort to develop a new true-to-life 8-bit experience for fans is welcomed. You'll also have the chance to gain some additional knowledge of the Olympics while playing.

GameSpace (9/10):
Whether you like Mario, or whether you like Sonic best, one thing is for sure. You are going to love playing this game. The amount of events is just right to get the most fun for your money. Coming out on November 5, 2019, for $59.99 USD, you will get the absolute most fun out of this game by playing with your family and friends. It merges two of the greatest console game character lineups together and gives you a lot of characters to choose from. I loved the game, and I hope you will too.

Shacknews (9/10):
Sega has done a great job as ambassadors for the city of Tokyo, and the 1964 retro 2D mini-games and events are nostalgia-filled romps that will leave players smiling from ear to ear.

WellPlayed (8.5/10):
Sega and Nintendo join forces once again to bring their beloved mascot characters to the world's stage, The Summer Olympics.

Destructoid (8/10):
I'm as surprised as you are that I had so much fun with this one. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020's retro suite is compact but it kicks everything up a notch, which is an easier sell for newcomers. Just make sure you have at least one friend to prolong the fun with once the story is over and done.

COGconnected (80/100):
Overall, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 is an enjoyable experience that's jammed-packed with Olympic-sized fun. With so many events and modes to choose from, all presented in Nintendo's signature welcoming style, there's something for everyone here. Just don't expect a deep and engrossing experience; while there are nice extra touches like Story Mode and an added retro element, this is mostly a game meant for casual, bite-sized fun on the go.

NintendoWorldReport (8/10):
A surprisingly fun game with a lot to offer. The Story Mode is somewhat amusing and easily goes by in five hours. While I wish there was more interaction with the modern world, I can't deny the effort at least. That being said, the real star of the show are the activities themselves. With 34 minigames to choose from, this is one of the most packed games in series history. It helps that the button controls work quite well, and help to sell the experience just that teensy bit more.

Nintendo Enthusiast (8/10):
Ultimately, that's where a lot of the fun in Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 lies. Yes, some of the sports are fun to play and even more fun to replay. I'll never get tired of seeing Donkey Kong and Metal Sonic skateboarding. The real magic of the game, though, is how it serves as a perfect casual entry point into the world of the Olympic Games. Have a child or little cousin who knows every Sonic game in existence but doesn't care about sports? Spend an afternoon playing this with them, and you might just end up helping them discover a fascination with the Olympics. Or Nintendo sports games. Hopefully both!

DualShockers (8/10):
Overall, Mario & Sonic is a welcoming surprise that I can see myself playing with friends regularly. Even with such a diverse option of events and mini-games, in reality, I will likely be returning to play soccer more than anything else. The game is wonderfully polished with a triumphant soundtrack that I always took notice of. Learning more about Tokyo and its timeline with the past and present is an unnecessary addition, but it solidifies the amount of care that went into the development of the game. Twelve years later, I can confidently say that the Mario & Sonic franchise has evolved into a series that I think is worth the time of every Switch owner.

SelectButton (8/10):
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 is an enjoyable collection of Olympic event mini-games that feature local and online play. The story mode is undoubtedly the star this time around. Although it starts a bit slow, I enjoyed the interactions between the characters and the lightheartedness of the entire situation. I think there are some big holes in the lineup that certainly have been overlooked, as limiting guest characters to only a single event is just not fun. Even so, playing with friends locally is certainly the best way to play the games outside of the story. Sadly there isn't any way to set up a tournament or multiple events for multiplayer.

Hey Poor Player (4/5):
For all my enjoyment, I can't help but worry if long-time fans might find all this a little too familiar; yes, there's plenty else to keep us occupied in Challenge achievements the series' first-ever online play (alas, I'm still unable to comment on the latter, as not even the game's prior Japanese release unearthed any opponents, but I imagine fans will have fun competing in Ranked Match), but while the game supplements certain matches with "guests" such as Rosalina and Rouge the Bat, the main roster remains nothing new. (An issue, I understand, that has pervaded previous entries) Meanwhile, in a move I'm certain will bum out gaming audiophiles, I'm saddened to report I encountered very little of the series' famed remixes. This is not to minimize the terrific original blend of orchestral and chiptune songs accompanying the various sub-games, but with how highly-regarded SEGA's sound efforts have been for this series, that there's not so much as a proper Sound Test is a definite head-scratcher.

Video Chums (7.4/10):
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 offers varied family-friendly fun. With so many sports and mini-games to enjoy, it's easy to find something to like about this star-studded package.

VideoGamer (7/10):
Everything here is lovingly presented; an exuberant smile-inducing package that's likely to appeal to kids and adults alike. The story portion of the game can get a bit dull, save for the 8/16-bit segments, but beyond that, this is a lovely big mélange of colourful sporting events. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 is also a joyful celebration of SEGA and Nintendo's present, as well as its glorious past, harbouring a stupidly enjoyable rugby event and an extremely competent footie mini-game that gives FIFA a run for its money (not really, but y'know). You'll be boxing, fencing, running, jumping, shooting, and hitting things until the real 2020 Olympic Games start, in July. Maybe.

God is a Geek (7/10):
Like its package of events, Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 is a bit of a mixed bag. It's a very nice game to look at, it's well put together, has oodles of that Nintendo and SEGA charm, and, for the most part, it's a lot of fun. You'll have your event favourites, and conversely those you'll want to avoid, often because of the daft controls. The inability to create your own tournaments is a big miss and dampens the local multiplayer experience. The Story Mode is a plus, and does a great job of showcasing the events and the 2020 Olympics itself. Sadly, it's likely most people will have moved on long before next summer.

Stevivor (7/10):
At the end of the day, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 is serviceable, a bit boring for adults but likely to be engaging for little ones. In addition to mini-games galore — which will likely take mature players one instance to blunder before things clicking and then becoming an expert in the event — players can also explore Story mode and collect trivia facts on not only the games themselves but both the Mario and Sonic franchises.

Nintendo Life (7/10):
Its 34 events provide welcome variety and there are far more hits than misses in its line-up, but once you're finished with Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020's four-hour Story mode it becomes notably less enticing for solo players. With no real incentives or unlockables to aim for, this should be considered a strictly multiplayer affair if you want to still be playing it by the time the actual Tokyo 2020 Olympics roll around.

Game Revolution (3.5/5):
Ultimately, Sega has produced yet another solid Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games installment. However, it's far from the must-own that it could have been with some further refinement. The middling story mode wastes a really solid concept, and the best events lack the structure that could make them appealing to play for hours rather than just a few minutes. It's a fun party game to whip out at social gatherings, which is what it was designed to be after all, but it could have been so much more.

Seafoam Gaming (7/10):
If you can get past the bumpy story mode, you'll get one of the most enjoyable minigame compilations that I've played to date on the Switch, and those who like picking these games up to play with friends or family, or for those who want to take on the online leaderboards or play with friends online, you'll be very satisfied with this game's quality. For those hoping for the story mode to be super engrossing and worth the price by itself however, you should hold off on this one.

My Nintendo News (6.5/10):
All things considered, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 is essentially more of the same with a small handful of minor additions. It's still a sight to behold to witness the unity of a couple household names in gaming, especially in retro-inspired settings, but two of the most iconic faces in the entertainment world deserve better.

IGN (6.4/10):
This latest entry in the Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games series sports the best collection yet of minigames and events, but is hampered by a tedious story mode and overall poor execution.

USgamer (3/5):
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 offers a glimpse of what the series could be if it fully committed to a story mode or really invested in becoming a sportier companion to Mario Party. Most of the minigames are fairly strong and the whole package is dripping with polish. As far as minigame collections go, this one can carry the torch just fine—but maybe it's not the one you pick to light the fire at game night.

Trusted Reviews (3/5):
With a charming campaign, dynamic score and pleasing graphics, this 2020 instalment is a worthwhile purchase for fans of the series looking for more Olympic fun. Yet, given the fluidity of the focused sports games already available on the Switch, and the brilliance of those on previous Nintendo systems, it pales in comparison and becomes a hard sell unless you particularly enjoy the mini-game structure – or want a game that will keep a sports-mad family busy this holiday season.

Screen Rant (3/5):
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 is a mixed bag. It's a sure way to get your sporty friends into gaming and your gaming friends excited for next summer in Tokyo. The delightful campaign has a lot of great single-player content, but unfortunately the game doesn't sustain that momentum when it comes to the really important thing: multiplayer. As a mini-game focused title, it just can't compete with similar offerings, it's games either too obtuse or too quick and easy to capture the hearts of players. If it went to the Olympics, it would get bronze at best.

Critical Hit (6/10):
Mario & Sonic at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games has this little extra something compared to the previous games, namely retro events, eminently sympathetic to the most nostalgic, and an aspect of an interactive tourist brochure on Tokyo and the Olympic Games. is pleasant for those who love to cultivate on these two topics. For the rest, to know what is still the heart of the game, Mario & Sonic at the Tokyo Olympics 2020 does not yet seem to be able to win among the classics of the family multiplayer genre, the fault of the gameplay sometimes too complex challenges at other times too basic, not allowing any one to really stand out and leaving on the face of those who participate a pout rather than a smile in most cases.

Gameblog (6/10, review in French):
Mario & Sonic at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games has this little extra something compared to the previous games, namely retro events, eminently sympathetic to the most nostalgic, and an aspect of an interactive tourist brochure on Tokyo and the Olympic Games. is pleasant for those who love to cultivate on these two topics.

Metro GameCentral (6/10):
Despite being the best in the series, by virtue of having the most content, Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 still carries the same baggage as the previous entries. Many of the mini-games are stale, the best moments come with annoying caveats, and you'll probably be reminded of far better games throughout the whole experience. If you're craving a multiplayer party title Mario & Sonic isn't necessarily a bad choice, but it's hardly up to Olympic standards.

Hardcore Gamer (3/5):
Despite the addition of retro 2D events and a story mode, Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 does little to improve the franchise thanks to middling minigame design and an empty, lackluster campaign. The more creative and deep gameplay arises in the story and dream minigames, but convoluted controls and brief runtimes hold back the majority of the events from entertaining players for more than a couple of attempts. The simplistic story will likely amuse fans of a younger age, but for most Mario, Sonic, Olympics and minigames fans, this crossover continues to disregard its potential and does little to justify its $60 price tag by offering only a few hours worth of polished but mostly mediocre minigames.

Rocket Chainsaw (3/5):
In the end, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 is a fun mini-game collection to bring out when you have some friends over, but beyond that, it falls flat. The short and surprisingly difficult story mode fails to meet its potential and doesn't do enough to elevate the game. However, while there certainly are better games you can pick up for your Switch, there are also worse ones as well.

TheSixthAxis (5/10):
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 brings a raft of new and returning events with it, but manages to both reduce and overcomplicate everything to the point where it simply isn't that fun to pick up and play with others. Younger fans may get a kick out of a few of the events, but overall this is a tiresome and drab tie-in that you'll have forgotten about long before the real world opening ceremony next July.

VGC (2/5):
Though bold and colourful and accompanied with a dazzling score, Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games 2020's clumsy gameplay lacks the polish we've come to expect from games emblazoned by that iconic little plumber.

Game Rant (2/5):
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 looks good and does offer some fleeting moments of fun with the Dream Events, but most everything else about the game falls flat. It's consistently dull and its new ideas fail to make it any more compelling than previous games in the series. Nintendo Switch owners have plenty of other quality games to play, and so there's not really any reason to bother with Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020.

Last edited:

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I had hopes this one might raise the quality level to the point where I buy it, but it doesn't look like that happened.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Rio 2016 on Wii U was the best installment yet in terms of gameplay and it had a 65 average, so even a 68 is an improvement.

Gxgear

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
The gameplay footage got me excited for a Mario & Sonic for the very first time, but after seeing some first impressions on Reddit about more time spent in menus than actual play it cooled me down.

Last edited:

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
Wow. I'm a bit stunned at the consensus. Looks like a solid 68 no matter your favorite consensus site.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Reviewers always hate games like this for whatever reason. I had so much fun with the past games so I will be ignoring these reviews and buying it anyways

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Thanks for the review thread. Trying to finish the OT for this asap, because I thought the Europe release date on 8th was Universal... Damn you americans.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020's four-hour Story mode

Wait, what? I've played the game for a review and that's just not true at all, I'd say it's at least twice as long. Unless you force skip all dialogue, which would be somewhat understandable, but not very professional.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty expected. At least at seems to be scoring on the higher end of these games, even if not by much.

I snagged it for cheap, and am excited. I'm hoping especially considering I haven't played any of the others that this will be a little better for me than for those that have. As long as it's a solid party game I'm good, need more of those on my Switch.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My copy came in today from Amazon, forgot to cancel after that not so great demo. Waited for reviews to decide if I was going to send it back. Glad I did, game does not look good

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Always weird to see what reviewers are actually harsh on. By and large this looked like a perfectly fine game for what it is.

Deleted member 19996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My review went up this morning.

I thought it was a lot of fun. Loved the story mode, and the interaction between the characters, and even the trivia regarding the Olympics and the characters. Some of the games just didn't click, but I enjoyed the majority of them and the mini-games locked to the story mode. Local multiplayer has been a blast, but wish you could play through multiple events without having to go back to the main menu.
https://selectbutton.com/reviews/mario-and-sonic-at-the-olympic-games-tokyo-2020-review

Excelsior

Oct 28, 2017
wow, hard to know what to make of the wide variation in reviews. I really only want it for the multiplayer, but it seems like it's missing a ton of QoL features (set up a tournament, medal tracking, queue up multiple games in a row, etc.) that would have sold me on it

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
No OT eh? Playing the story mode and yeah it's kind of tedious with lots of bland dialogue, pretty much what you'd expect but I always kind of hope they'd make it a bit more interesting. Honestly would just prefer a string of events like some of the previous games were like.

Has Bean

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
So is there no local multiplayer mode besides quick playing individual events? You can't set up a local tournament or multiple events in row?

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
No game modes,really?you just play an event,and go back to the main menu?you can't even play a "Olympic games mode" ah ah.This is dumb.

Corrie1960

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Sick of these Mario and sonic mini games

can we have a proper Mario and sonic crossover with an epic story

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
At the end of the day, it's still a mini-game collection. Overall rating is about what I expected.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
As someone who only played the (bad) 2008 Olympics game before this one, I found myself really enjoying it in my review for Seafoam Gaming. My biggest gripe was that the story mode is such a drag and the cutscenes are not skippable or allow you to speed them up in any way, and I found myself not caring after a few hours of play. I really enjoyed the scorechasing and leaderboard aspects, along with the retro events though, so if you're into that you should still enjoy this!

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The lack of being able to just set up a string of events is really disappointing. It's an Olympic themed game, that shoulda been a gimmie. Playing online is rad, but who wants to deal with an entire lobby/load segment to play some of these mini games that are literally like 20 seconds?

That's gonna kill some of these games online fast. And it would be really nice to keep the party moving in local too. I was hoping I could just kind of have this set up to rotate through events at parties, and if someone wanted to sit down and snag an event they could.

The game itself though is fun. I'm diggin it. Add that in through an update and I'll be really satisfied, but I'm not holding my breath.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
The summer games always seem worse than the winter games because the sports available are kinda limited (track and field, swimming, jumping, javelin, hammer toss, etc). Without medal tracking, there's no reason I'd play those games more than once. Also give us more dream events.

For anyone who bought this, how are the more fleshed out sports like skateboarding, boxing, biking, soccer, etc?