• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
not a fan of the whole 'hardcore gamers' nonsense, but doesn't that depend on what third party games come this year?

and I don't even see what makes this year more "casual" than last year in terms of Nintendo. When Mario and Mario Kart are two of the most maintream franchises of all time. (and splatoon may be on its way)

...hardcore vs casual remains the worst. I'm frowning writing this post lol

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
not a fan of the whole 'hardcore gamers' nonsense, but doesn't that depend on what third party games come this year?

and I don't even see what makes this year more "casual" than last year in terms of Nintendo. When Mario and Mario Kart are two of the most maintream franchises of all time. (and splatoon may be on its way)

...hardcore vs casual remains the worst. I'm frowning writing this post lol
It's more that this year has less variety. Half of that list are ports, and then jrogs, and two similar 2d plats.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Really hope this has a solid campaign with RPG-lite mechanics.

And I really freaking hope those dumb, game stalling power shots are gone. Even though I already know they are back. They just break up the flow too much for me. Same reason I don't like final smashes. Animation is cool the first time you see it and then it just totally loses its luster.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's more that this year has less variety. Half of that list are ports, and then jrogs, and two similar 2d plats.

We don't know what is coming in the second half to say such thing. At the same time that the first half has more games than past year which had only Zelda, MK8DX and Arms as big games, with May without any big game from Nintendo coming.

First half was barebones compared to what we're getting this year.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
February - Bayonetta 2
March - Kirby Star Allies
April - Hyrule Warriors
May - Donkey Kong, Labo
June - Mario Tennis Aces
July - Yoshi
August - Octopath Traveler
September - Smash Bros
October - Fire Emblem
November - NSMBU
December - New Casual IP

And some big 3rd parties sprinkled in most notable Black Ops 4, Fallout 4 and Diablo 3.

Lol if that ends up true, a true filler year, and half of it I own on Wii U. Guess I'm gonna have to wait til next year.

Jan 2, 2018
February - Bayonetta 2
April - Hyrule Warriors
May - Donkey Kong, Labo
June - Mario Tennis Aces
July - Yoshi
September - Smash Bros
October - Fire Emblem
November - NSMBU
December - New Casual IP

And some big 3rd parties sprinkled in most notable Black Ops 4, Fallout 4 and Diablo 3.

That would be a great year in my book!

mocolostrocolos

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
February - Bayonetta 2
April - Hyrule Warriors
May - Donkey Kong, Labo
June - Mario Tennis Aces
July - Yoshi
September - Smash Bros
October - Fire Emblem
November - NSMBU
December - New Casual IP

Where do I sign?

Kaxi

Oct 30, 2017
Poland
I'm a bit disappointed that unlike the male cast, the girls aren't using tennis gear but the same outfit that they always used.

I'm intrigued by your post but don't fully understand it.

What gear do you mean? They do have tennis rackets and sneakers. The only difference is that Mario has a shade cap, while the girls don't. But maybe because they wear the tiaras/crowns, which I think it's an attribute of these characters (like Mario's moustache) as princesses - although I admit that the tiara may be not so crucial for Rosalina, Peach is THE princess in the Mario universe.

They have dresses/skirts, too, but it's not something unheard of in tennis.

EDIT: As someone already mentioned, they also have wrist bands.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
February - Bayonetta 2
April - Hyrule Warriors
May - Donkey Kong, Labo
June - Mario Tennis Aces
July - Yoshi
September - Smash Bros
October - Fire Emblem
November - NSMBU
December - New Casual IP

It 100% lacks the big game(s) for the holiday and maybe also one for summer (Last year got Splatoon 2, nothing can replace but still...).
I think you're off by more than you imagine with that list.
I'm also kinda shocked so many people would be in love with that list. Feels pretty Wii U to me (meaning, good but not enough).

It should have Pokemon or Animal Crossing, if not both and third party might also cover in a much better way than some imagine. But we'll see. That's just my guess.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm intrigued by your post but don't fully understand it.

What gear do you mean? They do have tennis rackets and sneakers. The only difference is that Mario has a shade cap, while the girls don't. But maybe because they wear the tiaras/crowns, which I think it's an attribute of these characters (like Mario's moustache) as princesses - although I admit that the tiara may be not so crucial for Rosalina, Peach is THE princess in the Mario universe.

They have dresses/skirts, too, but it's not something unheard of in tennis.

I would like to see something like that which is more similar to the male cast
Eugenie+Bouchard+2015+Australian+Open+Day+vGfS631EkXxl.jpg

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It 100% lacks the big game(s) for the holiday and maybe also one for summer (Last year got Splatoon 2, nothing can replace but still...).
I'm also kinda shocked so many people would be in love with that list. Feels pretty Wii U to me (meaning, good but not enough).

It should have Pokemon or Animal Crossing, if not both and third party might also cover in a much better way than some imagine. But we'll see. That's just my guess.
Well a lot of people would say nsmbu is a big game apparently.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
On topic, the box art is amazing and if the story and systems are good I'm clearly Day1ing this game, especially if a friend or 2 do so too.

Well a lot of people would say nsmbu is a big game apparently.
If the rest of the year was shining, maybe, but after a Zelda, MK, Splatoon, Mario, Xenoblade 2 year, it seems like this list is a joke.
I mean obviously they can't have the same twice obviously, but they won't sell 30M consoles by throwing their holiday season by the window with no real evergreen/system seller.

What I think is simple.
The year began only on March and this is a January direct. So we likely don't know A LOT.
Whether they keep a good amount or not for E3, that's another thing, but I'm pretty sure we don't have a good sight of the year at all yet.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the rest of the year was shining, maybe, but after a Zelda, MK, Splatoon, Mario, Xenoblade 2 year, it seems like this list is a joke.
I mean obviously they can't have the same twice obviously, but they won't sell 30M consoles by throwing their holiday seasons by the window with no real evergreen/system seller.

They don't want to sell 30m of consoles, where did you saw this? lol Also, that list is plenty good if it was real. You're just judging by your taste instead of appeal, even more when including Xenoblade 2.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
They don't want to sell 30m of consoles, where did you saw this? lol Also, that list is plenty good if it was real. You're just judging by your taste instead of appeal, even more when including Xenoblade 2.
He probably typo'd and meant 20. That's still a ridiculously high number though and no way they will reach it if they don't have at least either ac or pokemon.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Yeah, June in general just makes sense with Kirby in March, Hyrule Warriors presumably in April and Donkey Kong in May.
And the 22nd seems to be a fitting date. Don't think this is a placeholder.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, people talking about lack of Switch games for summer and holiday?

Please stop and go stand in the corner. It's silly to say "2018 is worse for Switch" before E3.

Nov 2, 2017
Looks great but I wish too they would go more sporty with the female clothing. Hope we will get to buy costumes like in Mario Golf.

Deleted member 15538

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not much competition on the tennis front, what is announced so far looks like shit. But then again, that wiiu game was a disgrace too. Going to need really good reviews to pull me in. And an online mode with some kind of ranking.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece

With a very good online, Mario Tennis can be the same title you talk about, at least Nintendo thinks so.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't have anything special planned for early Summer in terms of game buys, so I might just pick this up.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if anyone mentioned it but this also confirms Daisy, which isn't a surprise cause characters like her and Waluigi always pop up in these side games.

RossC

Oct 27, 2017
I loved 64, which was the only one I played. I wasn't interested in the later ones mainly because stuff like items and special shots seemed to be a much bigger focus rather than being a pure arcadey tennis game like 64 was.

Hoping for closer to that here with the more outlandish stuff kept to side modes.