• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Mini rant thread because locking outfits to online was a dumb decision. Let me unlock this stuff through single player.

There's two main factors here.

1. The online is fragmented into regional servers.

2. The matchmaking puts you with similar ranked players, which means if there are people playing at the higher tiers, a new owner cannot play with them.

I just left it looking for a match for an hour here in Australia right at peak time 7:30pm-8:30pm and nothing.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Oof, I've been doing my monthly tournament in Golf because of this fear, but in Golf at least they give you CPUs if you wait 2 mins.
But I agree, once they released every costumes they just should give us a way to unlock those without needing online.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
You wanna know whats really sad?

I found the online to be completely dead like, 3 months after launch. I think this was right around Nintendo online launch and right in the launch window friends and I had a blast doing doubles against other players over and over. By the end of the summer we could never find a game

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
I feel paywalling online play really did no favours to these smaller Nintendo projects. You can probably find people in Mario Kart and Smash Ultimate just fine any time but considering the service is still... well, not very good, most people that would usually give stuff like Mario Tennis a go will likely give up after having trouble finding matches and just go back to the popular games.

I just hope it doesn't hit Mario Strikers too bad.

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
The games online died 3 months after launch sadly. Now people are in a community discord just to play

As much as I hate to admit it, but Mario Strikers will have the same fate too.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
This is kind of sad. They need to unlock the costumes outside of online. And to be honest, I've been wanting to pick up Mario Tennis to play with my wife but this is kind of bothering me that I can't unlock costumes/outfits because of the online.

Oct 27, 2017
I feel paywalling online play really did no favours to these smaller Nintendo projects. You can probably find people in Mario Kart and Smash Ultimate just fine any time but considering the service is still... well, not very good, most people that would usually give stuff like Mario Tennis a go will likely give up after having trouble finding matches and just go back to the popular games.

This forum complains about the base NSO cost far more than people outside of this forum do. Most people are paying nearly, if not more than, $20 a month for multiple other subscriptions services so I really don't think it's as huge a deal as it's made out to be

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This forum complains about the base NSO cost far more than people outside of this forum do. Most people are paying nearly, if not more than, $20 a month for multiple other subscriptions services so I really don't think it's as huge a deal as it's made out to be

More than paywalling, the main issue with NSO and nintendo overall online philosophy is that flat out sucks, is missing a lot of features that both Playstation and XBOX have that make online gaming more attractive

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
I bought this game a few days ago and I'm still baffled about the way they chose to handle these costumes. Not only do I have to go online to get it, but if I want to get Wario's outfit I would need to log back in at some random point throughout the year since it's on a monthly rotation and then play a bunch of matches with a non-existent community.

Like...Why?!

The gameplay's pretty great, though. I just wish a whole section of unlockable content wasn't lost forever, especially in a game without literally anything else to unlock and no one to play against.

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell

Well, I'd say online complaints making issues sound much bigger than they are in real life is a side effect of message boards, chat apps and social media as a whole since their inception, but I suppose that's beside the point.

My comment about Nintendo suddenly having a sub after that grace period wasn't really about the price itself which is pretty light compared to its competitors, but rather that the experience itself didn't really improve, they just added a few bells and whistles with a couple games from their retro library and discounts. The multiplayer experience remained pretty much the same which may have been a reason for the population of smaller games taking a nosedive.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I bought this game a few days ago and I'm still baffled about the way they chose to handle these costumes. Not only do I have to go online to get it, but if I want to get Wario's outfit I would need to log back in at some random point throughout the year since it's on a monthly rotation and then play a bunch of matches with a non-existent community.

Like...Why?!

The gameplay's pretty great, though. I just wish a whole section of unlockable content wasn't lost forever, especially in a game without literally anything else to unlock and no one to play against.
This sort of thing makes sense at launch to try to keep players returning, but I agree. After the first rotation of outfits, they should just unlock them all or make them easily unlockable in single player. It makes no sense to lock away content in a game that's dead online.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Still can't believe how botched all these sports games have felt on Switch. Strikers offers little hope for me of that changing.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Tough luck, there are still players here in France
(Well last I played online was like 3 months ago) but I used to play every month and always got opponents
OP if there is a way to circumvent the region thing I'm down for games

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

I doubt the paywall makes too much difference when the gap in popularity is that huge. You'll always find smaller titles struggling for online population compared to the behemoths of the platform.

Miaus

Jan 28, 2018
I tried to play tournament mode like a 3 weeks ago and couldn't find a match, sad really, I really enjoyed it when it launched :(

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
Mario Golf is heading the same way, i'm pretty sure it'll be dead when Strikers launches. And, as much as i don't want to say it, that'll go the same way in due course. Same for Switch Sports, that'll head the same way. I don't get how bad these games can get online.

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
I doubt the paywall makes too much difference when the gap in popularity is that huge. You'll always find smaller titles struggling for online population compared to the behemoths of the platform.

Fair point. I suppose the strict regional matchmaking and downright refusal to match players with a big rank gap doesn't help matters. I play fighters online a lot, I understand it sucks to be matched against SSSSSS+ ranked folks with a billion wins when you're rank F- but it kinda beats not playing at all, at least for me.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Fair point. I suppose the strict regional matchmaking and downright refusal to match players with a big rank gap doesn't help matters. I play fighters online a lot, I understand it sucks to be matched against SSSSSS+ ranked folks with a billion wins when you're rank F- but it kinda beats not playing at all, at least for me.
Yeh at least in fighters you can open a lobby and people often find their way in. I don't remember this game allowing public lobbies?

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Mario Golf is heading the same way, i'm pretty sure it'll be dead when Strikers launches. And, as much as i don't want to say it, that'll go the same way in due course. Same for Switch Sports, that'll head the same way. I don't get how bad these games can get online.
I'm a huge Mario Golf nerd and and I think Super Rush is #2 to Toadstool Tour (just barely, though). It's a great game on its own, but I've personally played maybe a handful of hours online in it. Mario Golf has always been a franchise that I just play a round of 18 by myself or I'll play couch coop with a friend or family member. It's the same for me for Tennis Aces. I just play the CPU or against my friends in Aces.

MAYBE Strikers: Battle League will be different as soccer has been an extremely popular online game to play in a few forms (regular soccer and Rocket League being the standouts), but I'm also not too surprised that Mario sports games aren't exactly a smash hit online. Again, I'm speaking personally, but I've never had a desire to be like, "yeah, I can't wait to get home so I can play online Mario Tennis".

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Strikers will likely have more longevity than the other sports games if only because soccer is the way bigger sports genre and also because it plays well for teams which is how the biggest online games tend to go these days. The last game in the series was the biggest Mario sports game in general (barring the Olympics titles) up until Tennis Aces came along, and I wouldn't be surprised if Battle League raises the ceiling further. Not to say that it'll have Mario Kart or Splatoon longevity obviously.