• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Boo has to be the best server at least. It's really difficult to charge up a return, and a soft return puts you at a pretty good advantage.

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
Balance discussions are premature... but whatever.

Speedy characters can get in position faster and thus charge for longer. While the shots they make aren't as powerful, maybe they can gain meter easier?

Someone did measurements on character speed.

Here is how long it takes each character, in seconds, to cover the ground I've described. Body size makes a difference -- especially for Powerful characters -- since they have to cover less ground before colliding with a wall. Note that moving vertically in the opposite direction (back to front) is a little bit faster in all cases.

• #1 - Yoshi (Speedy): 3.60 sec.

• #2 - Toad (Speedy): 3.70 sec.

• #3 - Toadette (Technical): 3.80 sec.

• #4 - Bowser (Powerful): 3.85 sec.

• #5 - Mario (All-Around): 3.90 sec.

• #6 - Donkey Kong (Powerful): 3.90 sec.

• #7 - Peach (Technical): 4.00 sec.

• #8 - Luigi (All-Around): 4.00 sec.

• #9 - Bowser Jr. (Defensive): 4.00 sec.

• #10 - Boo (Tricky): 4.00 sec.

• #11 - Wario (Powerful): 4.00 sec.

• #12 - Daisy (All-Around): 4.05 sec.

• #13 - Chain Chomp (Powerful): 4.05 sec.

• #14 - Spike (Powerful): 4.10 sec.

• #15 - Waluigi (Defensive): 4.15 sec.

• #16 - Rosalina (Tricky): 4.20 sec.
I broke ties by looking at acceleration speed, which is quite a substantial per-class difference. It's hard to find a good metric to describe acceleration, but I have ranked the classes by roughly where they are at in relation to the back-court camera when reaching max speed, moving side-to-side at the back court wall.

• #1 - Speedy

• #2 - Technical

• #3 - All-Around, Defensive, and Tricky (Boo)

• #4 - Tricky (Rosalina)

• #5 - Powerful

https://www.reddit.com/r/MarioTennis/comments/8t47vc/statistical_analysis_movement_speed_and/

He also did some measurements on reach.

First: I ascertained which characters were able to return Boo's "GOOD" and "NICE" slice serves, with Boo serving fully cross-court, from the right side, with no directional tilt applied to the slice service shot. The returner used a charged topspin in all cases, with no movement or tilt from their default position (in other words, I just held down A).

Second: After grouping characters into "Returns NICE," "Returns GOOD," and "Returns none," I attempted to quantify the outer limit of their range by returning Boo's "GOOD" topspin serve, with Boo serving fully cross-court, from the left side, with no directional tilt applied to the topspin service shot. The returner used a charged topspin in all cases, with no movement or tilt from their default position (in other words, I just held down A). I repeated this process with each character, moving them one step (i.e. a VERY light D-pad press) to their right each time, until I discovered how many steps they had to take in order to miss the return under these conditions.

(I chose Boo as my control character because he has one of the most unusual serve angles, what with being a Tricky character and all.)

Here are the ranked results.

• #1 (tie) - Bowser (Powerful): Returns NICE slice serves. 5-step margin of error.

• #1 (tie) - Chain Chomp (Powerful): Returns NICE slice serves. 5-step margin of error.

• #3 (tie) - Luigi (All-Around): Returns NICE slice serves. 3-step margin of error.

• #3 (tie) - Mario (All-Around): Returns NICE slice serves. 3-step margin of error.

• #3 (tie) - Waluigi (Defensive): Returns NICE slice serves. 3-step margin of error.

• #3 (tie) - Donkey Kong (Powerful): Returns NICE slice serves. 3-step margin of error.

• #3 (tie) - Spike (Powerful): Returns NICE slice serves. 3-step margin of error.

• #8 - Wario (Powerful): Returns NICE slice serves. 3-step margin of error (by what seems like a razor-thin margin, hence his lower ranking).

• #9 - Bowser Jr. (Defensive): Returns NICE slice serves. 2-step margin of error (his extreme horizontal profile seems to result in some trouble returning cross-body passing shots).

• #10 - Boo (Tricky): Returns NICE slice serves. Zero margin of error (Boo's range is weird compared to other characters, and I'm still trying to figure him out).

• #11 (tie) - Daisy (All-Around): Returns GOOD slice serves. 3-step margin of error.

• #11 (tie) - Peach (Technical): Returns GOOD slice serves. 3-step margin of error.

• #13 - Rosalina (Tricky): Returns GOOD slice serves. 2-step margin of error.

• #14 - Yoshi (Speedy): Unreliably returns GOOD slice serves (very unusual in his lack of reliability here). 2-step margin of error.

• #15 (tie) - Toad (Speedy): Returns no slice serves. 1-step margin of error.

• #15 (tie) - Toadette (Technical): Returns no slice serves. 1-step margin of error.
https://www.reddit.com/r/MarioTennis/comments/8t68xo/statistical_analysis_reach_and_service_returns/

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018
I'm curious if Nintendo/Camelot will even hear feedback from fans in the West about the length of a match, the singleplayer and other missing options?

How likely is it they'll invest in patches to respond to these complaints? Considering the DLC characters are already sorted and Ultra Smash was left for dead.

I expect atleast one patch. The game is going to sell far better than any Mario Tennis in awhile, and Nintendo's been pretty good at supporting their games post-launch.

There's a lot of little things that can and should be updated. A course selection. Allowing the mini games in swing mode to be played in other modes. Course length (especially for offline play).

The menus and UI are the worst I've ever seen. They could have easily made the game feel fuller with a few option tweaks. They could have made the game feel more significant with some simple unlocks/costumes.

I doubt all the issues will be patched out, but I think at the very least some of them will be.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Yup. Just don't get what they were thinking.

I also hate that it's much much harder to track & anticipate the movement of non humanoid characters.
Makes boo and chomp chomp even more overpowered. In FIFA and NBA 2K Im ok with better and worse teams (Real, Warriors) because realism.

In a casual Mario game I expect a level playing field.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I know what counters what, but getting my brain to tell my finger to press the right button to counter the right colors is daunting lol. It's my biggest issue

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like they should actually patch in set lengths, and course selection and stuff. Doesn't seem like the most complicated thing but yeah.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

Character Type:

Powerful: Their shots are fast.
Speedy: Their run speed is fast.
Technical: They can easily target the far corners of a court.
Tricky: Their slice bends a lot.
Defensive: They can cover a wide area.
All-Around: They have very balanced stats.

From the game itself. TheMoon feel free to place in the OP.​

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Really enjoying the game so far. Online performance is much improved compared to the beta. That said ... I think the curves of the "B" balls by "Tricky" characters is ridiculous. Not fun playing agains these. It feels so ... Cheap.

Vade

Oct 26, 2017
Loving this game! Blooper was a pain in the ass. Just beat the boat boss... Short yet satisfying single player.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
This game is full of cowards, especially when you reach the finals. I found over 10 opponents with good connections yet they cancel the game. Piss off

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Defense characters like Waluigi and Bower Jr. are dominating the leaderboards.

I haven't played online yet, why is Bowser Jr. so dominant?

typhy

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Defense characters like Waluigi and Bower Jr. are dominating the leaderboards.

I haven't played online yet, why is Bowser Jr. so dominant?

at top levels building meter is really important, he has a long reach so he can start charging shots earlier to get more meter
also all three of his shots are almost equal in strength so he has a lot of good options to counter and deny star shots for the opponent as opposed to, say, chain chomp where his slice basically just goes straight and very slow

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
I've been running with Peach almost 100% of the time. Seems like being able to hit the corners well is not much of an advantage with all the movement abilities, but time will tell.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
Now i understand gamexplain's review when they said the story mode AI can get abruptly difficult.

I had to KO blooper because it was easier than trying to outlast his bullshit. Not to mention the mast in the airship stage constantly ruining my shots.

Also im mad that you dont get rewarded with character unlocks. ALL these characters have finished tennis animations and are on the cart. I have to wait like 2 months just to use Kamek.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
Any tips on how to recover from being on the back foot from max charge shots one after another? I just keep getting pushed back until they drop shot or just build crazy meter :/

bazzi

Dec 19, 2017
Any tips on how to recover from being on the back foot from max charge shots one after another? I just keep getting pushed back until they drop shot or just build crazy meter :/
Just let them score if you're not going to lose on that point, otherwise you're letting them build meter and win the rest of the match lol

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

Counter with the correct shot.

HqeI10I.png

Helloween

Oct 27, 2017
Man i was doing so well in Simple mode then got to the Semi's and bowser Jr chumped me hard. I just failed to work out where a single one of his shots re going. Also i play Rosalina, and people keep ducking out on me. Am i part of some problem?> lol

Camstun187

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
China
LJust won my first tournament as Waluigi. I hated Being rage-quitted into the finals, but I won.

1,800 in the world in simple play.

This game is full of cowards, especially when you reach the finals. I found over 10 opponents with good connections yet they cancel the game. Piss off

Also this. Unfortunately this is the only way to get consistent competitive play online. Solo mode is unfortunately noobie central and I crush my opponents 99% of the time

Last edited:

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have no problem playing against Boo (I use Waluigi) but Spike. The little bastard. He plays me like a fiddle.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
Do you unlock anything for beating the game's CPU tournaments? Also, are there any costumes right now besides Mario's costume from the pre-launch tournament?

Revven

Oct 27, 2017
Do you unlock anything for beating the game's CPU tournaments? Also, are there any costumes right now besides Mario's costume from the pre-launch tournament?

All you unlock for beating the CPU tournaments are the different cups so once you beat Mushroom, you unlock Flower, then once you beat Flower you unlock Star. And this is apparently on a per-character basis. Otherwise, you don't unlock anything substantial from it (not even Star characters). There's currently only the classic Mario costume from the pre-launch tournament.

The only unlocks this game has atm are the Story Mode courts from Story Mode by playing through it.

Deleted member 15538

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm missing star shots in simple mode because I can't switch flat and slice buttons, this doesn't make sense aaaaargh.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it sucks when they do that. But a bigger issue is that Nintendo allows this. Why would you show a player their opponent and give them the option to quit without penalty?

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
All you unlock for beating the CPU tournaments are the different cups so once you beat Mushroom, you unlock Flower, then once you beat Flower you unlock Star. And this is apparently on a per-character basis. Otherwise, you don't unlock anything substantial from it (not even Star characters). There's currently only the classic Mario costume from the pre-launch tournament.

The only unlocks this game has atm are the Story Mode courts from Story Mode by playing through it.

Hmm. That's...disappointing. I would have really liked if each tournament unlocked a costume or color swap for each character (especially if trophies/tournament unlocks are done per-character). As is, I'm not sure I have a reason to play them, and I'm guessing all costume additions will be linked to the online tournaments. I guess I'll look into it more and see if you can at least play it in local co-op, which is a worthwhile experience for me.

Thanks for the info. I'll focus on Adventure Mode.