• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Playing against the AI has to be the least enjoyable experience ever. It manages to take what would otherwise be really fun gameplay and turn it into frustration as the AI never misses a block on a zone shot and almost never misses on trick shot returns. It makes every single set and every single point just pure teeth pulling. i thought it might have been because of the clay in Flower Cup but the amount of bulshit I've seen in just a short time playing the AI is enough to turn me off to doing it again. At least I can count on human opponents to make mistakes sometimes.

I also think the racket breaking stuff is dumb and adds absolutely nothing to the game. Losing a long match at the end of a tournament when I'm ahead in the championship because my rackets are breaking is absurd. I didn't think it would be such a huge deal but when your opponent is launching zone shot after zone shot on the same point it's rough. Haven't played too much online yet so I can't say how much of a problem it is there.

I'm fine with what the game is, but I really feel like Nintendo advertising a tutorial and control explanation as a story mode is quite a bit disingenuous. I feel bad for anyone who bought the game for that. I got the first power stone and much of this felt like either tutorial or tennis related mini games. The quirky courts are the best part and I hear you can't even play them outside of Adventure mode.

Overall I like the game but man is there a lot I don't like. Probably going to be the type of game I play online for a little while while the online is free and there are plenty of noobs still getting th game and playing and then once that dies down and only the hardcore are still playing time to dip out.
If your racket is broken then you got outplayed. It's all about resource management. Risk/reward.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
After an entire evening playing doubles with a friend here' some thoughts:

Standard mode - The super moves are fun but they're used way too often, them being used to simply cancel your super smash leaving you with no juice to defend is a major bummer. Missing a Super Smash block results in an instant KO and ends the match, if you like me suck at blocking them or if you're really good at using it, in both sitations the matches are shorter than the whole loading screen. I would prefer if it just removed a heart from your team or something, having a 1 minute match only to only have to go through the continue playing process again and loading takes the wind out of the sail.

Simple Mode - This is actually more enjoyable because you get really intense rallies and matches can take a bit longer but they're still way too short, there's no best of three, no way for a good comeback, no tennis scoring system that makes tennis, tennis. It doesn't feel good to loose or win this way. The fact there's no rematch option is also a bummer, just let us rematch on the same map, so it doesn't have to load one of those annoying gimmick courts that takes way too long. It's such a motivation killer, you can't really get in to it and gain momentum.

The base mechanics are solid but it lacks so many just basic essentials that makes tennis such an exciting sport. I want those 6 hour matches!

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Honestly thinking that standard class tournament games should just be tiebreakers instead of a full match. Get two good players who can trick shot and block zone/specials effectively and rallies can take fuckin' forever.

Nov 4, 2017
After an entire evening playing doubles with a friend here' some thoughts:

Standard mode - The super moves are fun but they're used way too often, them being used to simply cancel your super smash leaving you with no juice to defend is a major bummer. Missing a Super Smash block results in an instant KO and ends the match, if you like me suck at blocking them or if you're really good at using it, in both sitations the matches are shorter than the whole loading screen. I would prefer if it just removed a heart from your team or something, having a 1 minute match only to only have to go through the continue playing process again and loading takes the wind out of the sail.

Simple Mode - This is actually more enjoyable because you get really intense rallies and matches can take a bit longer but they're still way too short, there's no best of three, no way for a good comeback, no tennis scoring system that makes tennis, tennis. It doesn't feel good to loose or win this way. The fact there's no rematch option is also a bummer, just let us rematch on the same map, so it doesn't have to load one of those annoying gimmick courts that takes way too long. It's such a motivation killer, you can't really get in to it and gain momentum.

The base mechanics are solid but it lacks so many just basic essentials that makes tennis such an exciting sport. I want those 6 hour matches!
For blocks don't hit the button until the ball is literally right on top of you. Almost every miss is "too early." Rarely too late.

Simple mode is tons of fun though. You get far better net play. You have to really learn about the 5 shot types too.

Hey Blinkin

Oct 27, 2017
How in the hell does anyone do good online? The other player's are instantly crowding the net and I can't cover both sides of the court quick enough to defend their shots.

If they aren't doing that then they're hitting serves that take my character off the court just far enough for them to hit the ball to the opposite side where I can't get to it in enough time.

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
The other player's are instantly crowding the net

This one's an easy one - send a couple of lobs over their head, they'll soon step back.

If they aren't doing that then they're hitting serves that take my character off the court

Move up a little towards the box in front of your character before they serve. You'll find it easier to return wide serves as you've closed the space available for the ball to travel and you're not off the court.

Played for the first time since the demo tonight. Managed to get to three finals... but got trounced in all of them. Feels bad.

Revven

Oct 27, 2017
Having a blast so far!

Can Some one explain the Logic behind when a star Will appear? If there is any ...

It's based on if you failed to counter their shot. Red counters blue, blue counters red, purple counters purple. If you, say, do purple vs red, a star will appear for the opponent. If you do blue vs purple, same thing. It also appears if you hit it with a lunge. As well as when you do a lob.

Hey Blinkin

Oct 27, 2017
This one's an easy one - send a couple of lobs over their head, they'll soon step back.

Played for the first time since the demo tonight. Managed to get to three finals... but got trounced in all of them. Feels bad.

The very first person I played against, I was able to do that to, but I still managed to lose.

Didn't stand a chance against the other players.

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
The very first person I played against, I was able to do that to, but I still managed to lose.

Didn't stand a chance against the other players.

You'll get it with practice and a bit of time. I'm not a great player (probably 3:1 win/lose ratio), but I've gotten better by observing what my opponents do well when they beat me. It makes me consider other tactics.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
For blocks don't hit the button until the ball is literally right on top of you. Almost every miss is "too early." Rarely too late.

Simple mode is tons of fun though. You get far better net play. You have to really learn about the 5 shot types too.

It seems it's not as popular though, looking for games take a significant amount of time longer.

Nov 4, 2017
How in the hell does anyone do good online? The other player's are instantly crowding the net and I can't cover both sides of the court quick enough to defend their shots.

If they aren't doing that then they're hitting serves that take my character off the court just far enough for them to hit the ball to the opposite side where I can't get to it in enough time.
If you hit the ball back with the correct shot type, you don't get pushed back.

Pink - return with a pink shot.
Orange - return with a blue shot
Blue - return with an orange shot

If they crowd the net, lob it over them.

And you can fly across the whole court with a trick shot if you hit it early enough, if you know they're going to go for the opposite side.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, is the online stuff really that barebones? Is it just the tournament thing all the time?

No, you can play with a friend in free play. I just did with mine for example. And some other options as well.

But yeah, the online tournament is just against other randoms.

Yeah it's pretty crappy.
Wish it was set up more like Mario Kart 8 or had Splatoon 2s leveling up system.
There is literally no reward or incentive.

Also this copied from Reddit:

The incentive from what we know is the character and outfits early with the tournament in each month.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if it's just me but I really like the motion controls. It's simple yet fun.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also I noticed that I can use x and up or down for lobs for drop shots without triggering trick shots.

Did they fix it from the demo?

I find them more reliable than a+b or b+a as I can easily confuse the two.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I think this game will be a GaaS-lite deal like Splatoon and ARMS.

Would make it a very odd one out otherwise.

We already know of the monthly characters who can get accessed early through tourneys.

horsebite

Oct 27, 2017
USA
This game desperately needs to leave the current score on screen at all times, just like at the start of a new set. It's annoying to not know whether you should burn your meter to counter a special shot or something because you can't remember the score. One of my only complaints, other than letting users unbind double tapping X to do a trick shot.

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
I finally got to play today after mostly getting over my flu or whatever.... I'm still confused about playing with friends
My friend list doesn't populate and when I make a room I can't send an invite? how do you actually play together without speaking outside of the Switch?

Hey Blinkin

Oct 27, 2017
If you hit the ball back with the correct shot type, you don't get pushed back.

Pink - return with a pink shot.
Orange - return with a blue shot
Blue - return with an orange shot

If they crowd the net, lob it over them.

And you can fly across the whole court with a trick shot if you hit it early enough, if you know they're going to go for the opposite side.

I was just playing with the simple rules. Is there still trick shots? Do the return shots still matter in that mode?

Nov 4, 2017
I was just playing with the simple rules. Is there still trick shots? Do the return shots still matter in that mode?
They still matter in simple mode. That's what determines how far you get pushed back.

Also, always use the pink shot on the star icons on the court. It's called a star shot and it lights up with sparkles.

No trick shots or zone shots or special shots in simple mode, but you still have the regular 5 shot types.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I finally got to play today after mostly getting over my flu or whatever.... I'm still confused about playing with friends
My friend list doesn't populate and when I make a room I can't send an invite? how do you actually play together without speaking outside of the Switch?

Yeah I was confused about this too

DTC

Oct 25, 2017
For the past few weeks, I've been thinking Yoshi is bad. But after using his zone speed more, he seems like he has potential. His zone speed is absolutely ridiculous and is significantly better than other characters (especially power characters). It's pretty crazy how strong Yoshi's zone speed is. He can easily zone speed to get to a star point so he can zone shot.

Also, I think Toadette has potential, but I haven't really used her at all yet.

I think people are sleeping on some characters. Different characters have different playstyles.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whew, was getting dominated by a Chain Chomp, his reach is fucking insane. I knew he'd win the match on his serve so I spent my serve return balls I knew he could get but would give me stars to build meter and broke his racket twice to KO him from 3 points. Satisfying as fuck.

Rewrite

Oct 26, 2017
Fontana, California
It finally happened. I won my first tournament with Peach! My final oppenent was a Bowser and it was such an intense match. I'm so happy. I always lost in the semifinals/finals, but not this time!

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Got to play this a bit after Splatfest. Quick thoughts, Boo is insane with his slices, it curves so much that it is either out upon return or you are so far to one side of the court that they can flat shot the ball to the opposite end no problem. Been playing Daisy, Boo, and Waluigi. About 50/50 with my W/L currently. No tournament won yet. Saving story mode for later. Still wish Camelot was more ambitious with their story and try to bring back the RPG mode of Power Tour. Also we need another Strikers game, long overdue.

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
This game's online basically tells you to fuck off if you didn't play the demo. Only gripe so far but the gameplay is great.

Also this charge for meter is billshit.
I charge more than the others yet they get to use their best shot.
Fucking dumb

Last edited:

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I think this game will be a GaaS-lite deal like Splatoon and ARMS.

Would make it a very odd one out otherwise.

We already know of the monthly characters who can get accessed early through tourneys.
I hope they announce that information sooner rather then later. I'd like a reason to buy the game in the end.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

If they crowd the net, use a lob. For power shots, use the proper counter to prevent so much knockback from occurring. Red (topspin) counters Blue (slice), Blue counters Red, Purple (flat) counters Purple.

Hold on!! Where can I check the games that I can buy with gold?

Never noticed that! Especially the option to buy with coins

I'm confused. When I go to buy something it DEFAULTS to using my Gold Coins. Does that not happen with you, or haven't you tried to buy something in a while?

RomanceDawn

Teacher of Superheroines
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
Ive been having a great time with the single player Advenure Mode. It's really teaching me things and making me more comfortable playing online. I'm at the ghost house and this thread made me dread even trying it.

Loving online as well. I can never get passed the 3rd round in any tournament because a boo seems to come out and just trick me with every curve shot it throws.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised how well online has been working for me. Not a single laggy match yet. During matchmaking it's nice how fast it is to back out and find another player if the latency bars aren't looking good.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
I'm confused. When I go to buy something it DEFAULTS to using my Gold Coins. Does that not happen with you, or haven't you tried to buy something in a while?
Never happened to me because maybe I never clicked on redeem points and went straight ahead to my credit card. Now I went to check how it works and noticed the "redeem points"