• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
So this was my first encounter with a Yoshi trying to use the trick shot stuff Jaded Alyx and potatoman are talking about:

Had no idea it was a thing but you have to make some really good reads to make it work out well for you.

What makes you think those reads had to be good for it to work?

Whenever I lose with this strategy, I feel like it's because I'm punching way above my weight thanks to it and it can't solely win you the game, not because the strategy is difficult to do in general. But maybe my badness in general is making me miss the weakness of the strategy in general.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the point if Trick shot abuse is to build meter as fast as possible. The other thing I could see is the limits of that characters range. Like in my tweet. Like you cant always be in the neutral zone.

Shot speed cinn also be an issue aswell.

I kainlooky want to see if its possible to make use in order to heavily pressure BJr

Revven

Oct 27, 2017
What makes you think those reads had to be good for it to work?

Whenever I lose with this strategy, I feel like it's because I'm punching way above my weight thanks to it and it can't solely win you the game, not because the strategy is difficult to do in general. But maybe my badness in general is making me miss the weakness of the strategy in general.

Well, I'm more speaking from the perspective of if both players are of equal skill then the strat only really will work well if the person focusing on the strat makes the right guesses. You have to predict where your opponent is going to hit the ball and the other player is going to be aware of the trick shot strat once they see it in action a few times; they'll try to trip them up by mixing up where they're returning the ball, what the type of shot it is, baiting you into a bad position you trick shot to (way back at the court making it difficult to trick shot again if they fully charged drop shot it), etc etc.

The weakness of the strat is simply to not be so predictable. Don't return the ball to the same side of the court on every return, change up your shot type (topspin, slice, flatshot, drop shot, even lobbing). Zone Shot to force them to use Zone Speed and/or meter in general so they can't trick shot slo-mo safely. Don't sit at the back of the court the whole time, approach the net to force pressure when you can.

It's certainly something you can do to build meter quickly, though. There's no denying that's an issue. I don't think I like that at all.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
I tried out that Trick Shot trick against the computer just to see how it's done. It's not a game winner on its own, but it's certainly crazy at building meter. But it can be beat if you bait the opponent to one side a couple of times and then go for the the other.

However, I also tried it against Boo, just to see what it can do with curved shots. If you hold up on the right stick and nothing else when Boo serves, the curve shot will be intercepted just as it bounces. In fact, holding up on the right stick during a serve seems like a good idea if you have the meter for it. Don't give the opponent the easy ball by doing it on empty. There are serves that blow right through this, though. Boo's red serve can.

Still, it's definitely something to incorporate in my game. Maybe try it with Rosalina, just for that extra look of crazy since she teleports to the ball. Try to figure that one out.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Clint, if you're on here somewhere, and you're Yoshi and just played Daisy, what a fucking match that was. We had at least a 4 minute rally in the tiebreak.

Deleted member 21996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So this was my first encounter with a Yoshi trying to use the trick shot stuff Jaded Alyx and potatoman are talking about:

Had no idea it was a thing but you have to make some really good reads to make it work out well for you.

Yeah these trick shot shenanigans need looking at. They already act like a get out of jail mechanic, I don't think they should also build meter at the same time.

This game is something else though. When the game matches you with someone of your skill level the rallies are epic. Feels like you're straining every fibre just to win a point sometimes. It's exhausting!

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I 100% Adventure mode, you get a bonus cutscene after the credits. Some of those challenges were brutal. Well now all that's left is to win the CPU tournaments and get better at online.

Revven

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of the challenges in adventure mode could straight up be in their own menu on the main menu and be called "Mini-Games" where you could go for a high score or something. Some of them are pretty fun.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I was going against a friend who was doing the back trick shot constantly and it was super frustrating. I read he was going to do it from the net and actually drop shot it and he still trick shots back into it, lol. I'll have some clips of it later.

Last edited:

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Still, it's definitely something to incorporate in my game. Maybe try it with Rosalina, just for that extra look of crazy since she teleports to the ball. Try to figure that one out.
I like doing it with Wario because of the crazy angle he takes to the ball. Some of the more angled shots makes it look like he's doing a side trick shot instead of a forward or backward one. It's also just a funny animation to spam.

Xalechim

Oct 28, 2017
Had the game sitting sealed over the weekend since I had plans and considered returning based on some reviewer thoughts. Decided to open it tonight and man this game has so much depth in its gameplay! I really hope the game sees some patches and additional content (although I'm banking on neither) so this can really be the complete package it should be.

The gameplay alone is enough to justify the purchase though. It's crazy they thought of a way to spice up Tennis this much.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Are there any tips for the Blooper fight? In a game already full of questionable decisions, that pole in the middle of the court is quite honestly the worst decision by far. There's no way to tell where the ball will go until its too late. There's no way to tell if the ball is going behind the pole or bouncing off it until its already too late and even when it does hit the pole, there's multiple trajectories where the ball goes.

If the game was a 7/10 at first, that dumbass court design brings it down to 5/10.

Anidav

Oct 25, 2017
Brisbane
I mean sure, they spiced tennis up but once you go online you realise that a lot of components don't actually have a counter and the game seems to rely on people just having a rally with you in good faith but Nintendo and Camelot are wrong here. People just ended up picking the same deadbeat characters and using the same deadbeat tactics with outstanding success. Because once you add what amounts to fighting game mechanics to a game you also get fighting game mentality which leads to spam and exploitation before a patch comes in to attempt to dismantle it.

However I don't know if Camelot even has a track record of balance patches in thier history.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I mean sure, they spiced tennis up but once you go online you realise that a lot of components don't actually have a counter and the game seems to rely on people just having a rally with you in good faith but Nintendo and Camelot are wrong here. People just ended up picking the same deadbeat characters and using the same deadbeat tactics with outstanding success. Because once you add what amounts to fighting game mechanics to a game you also get fighting game mentality which leads to spam and exploitation before a patch comes in to attempt to dismantle it.

However I don't know if Camelot even has a track record of balance patches in thier history.

I wouldn't expect such advanced things like balance patches considering they couldn't even implement simple QoL stuff like retries in the story mode.

The whole "depth of a fighting game" is just launch hype, its more gimmicks than deep game design.
Game also looks worse than 5 year old WiiU games like 3D World and Mario Kart 8 and it becomes obvious the game was made on a shoestring budget.

nick_b

Dec 10, 2017
So based on some posts in this thread I just bought Mario Golf for 3ds. I'll be playing it between tennis tourneys. You all really talked it up so I'm pretty excited. My last golf game was Hot Shots on Vita and I love golf games. So satisfying and infuriating.

Back to tennis though. I just tried out Bowser and got to semifinals in simple mode. That's the farthest I've gotten yet. I usually play Rosalina but I'm trying out different characters now. Maybe I'll go random for a while to learn them. I wasn't using Rosalina for any reason other than that I like the character anyway.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So based on some posts in this thread I just bought Mario Golf for 3ds. I'll be playing it between tennis tourneys. You all really talked it up so I'm pretty excited. My last golf game was Hot Shots on Vita and I love golf games. So satisfying and infuriating.

I didn't see those posts, but I really liked that game a lot. It was kind of lacking in content when I got it though, but I think they've added a lot to it.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so is there a way to avoid split-screen for local multiplayer with 4 players like the old Mario Tennis games, or no?

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This is by far the dumbest return I've pulled off. Look how little meter it took.
wKVJiNi.png

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
I think with Kamek it higlights that the boat was a good idea on paper but bad in execution. There is a lot of BS with that, like not being able to see where Kamek is aiming if the pole is bloking him.

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Are there any tips for the Blooper fight? In a game already full of questionable decisions, that pole in the middle of the court is quite honestly the worst decision by far. There's no way to tell where the ball will go until its too late. There's no way to tell if the ball is going behind the pole or bouncing off it until its already too late and even when it does hit the pole, there's multiple trajectories where the ball goes.

If the game was a 7/10 at first, that dumbass court design brings it down to 5/10.
Best advice I can give you is to break his racket by hitting him with zone shots.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the biggest thing I took from the Kamek fight is only bother accounting for the pole if he's flat shotting it.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't expect such advanced things like balance patches considering they couldn't even implement simple QoL stuff like retries in the story mode.

The whole "depth of a fighting game" is just launch hype, its more gimmicks than deep game design.
Game also looks worse than 5 year old WiiU games like 3D World and Mario Kart 8 and it becomes obvious the game was made on a shoestring budget.
Saying this game's not going to get balance patches or any patches in general because the game has some QOL issues is super dumb because dumb things like that are why these patches exist. Plus all of Nintendo's have gotten extensive patches and have been built with GAAS in mind they've even said as much in investor meetings, plus the game is going to be supported until at least September, and the game has fixed it's online issues from it's beta and readjusted it's matchmaking using feedback from the beta.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
I just had an epic half an hour match against a Boo. I lost but damn this game when it's good it's good!

EDebs1916

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
God damn it. I just can not block the power shots. I'm doninating players and hen always getting my racket destroyed. I'm either too early or I wait too long and don't swing at all. I've taken to not even trying to block them. Meanwhile I just played a guy who blocked 6 of my full power bar shots and 9 of the Star power shots.