• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's the big thing, I think. I feel like Nintendo needs to get out ahead of this with broad in-console messaging that I'm not seeing yet. I mean, it's Nintendo and online so you expect a certain incompetence, but they wouldn't blindside their users like that.

The problem is 90% of Switch owners probably only play 1 or 2 games online, and probably not even that frequently. I don't think that many people will pay $20 so they can play a few matches of Mario Tennis a week.

Personally I think it's a terrible idea to try and introduce paid online right in the middle of a generation. It's going to cause confusion no matter how many little warnings you included.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Super weird thing happening to me - I used to do much, much better as Toadette than as Toad, but somehow I feel like it's the opposite now, lol. I get I adapted to "speed" characters since I mostly play Koopa Troopa and Toad, and now my Toadette play is ruined.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
There's no loss in this game that doesn't piss me off. Either you get smoked or you're competitive, either way it's the worst feeling.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Man, this game got brutal this month. Last month I was actually holding my own as Toadette, but now I'd be elated to even make it to 3K rating and win a few tournaments.

yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely loved the demo, I actually pre-ordered this game and I never pre-ordere anything thing.

But I just couldn't bring myself to play this game much, the few matches I played were decent fun but my desire to play it just died. The Adventure mode seemed pointless.

Maybe I played the demo too much and got burned out.

On positive side, Amazon will give you $31 to trade in this game, I couldn't refuse that offer.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Peach's dropshot is absurd. Not only does it drop like a sack of bricks you can also throw ridiculous angles on it. I use her and I feel bad when I do this to players. It's actually kinda insane how Camelot left her untouched in the patch. I expect her to get some nerfs the next round of changes.

Also I hate when I'm using zone speed and when there's a star on the ground it automatically goes into a zone shot. I always forget to let go of R when I'm near a star.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Won my second tournament, this time as Peach.

Similar to the last tournament I won, the hardest match was vs a Chain Chomp. I guess my playstyle doesn't know how to get around them except by sheer persistence. He broke one of my rackets early on but for whatever reason didn't capitalize on that. Since he rarely had to use trick shots he was fully charged most of the match but rarely tried to push for it. It would have been an epic win for him if he managed to KO me on my Match Point, for instance. Insanely long rallies and my hands still hurt, but that was the semifinal.

The final against a Spike was a cakewalk: broke one racket in the first game which kept him skittish when I used Peach's Super afterwards, and he didn't have the Chomp's reach so he kept having to burn meter which meant I had a chance to do that a lot. Even managed to service Ace on the championship point (topspin, outside), so that's probably an all-time gaming moment for me.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Also I hate when I'm using zone speed and when there's a star on the ground it automatically goes into a zone shot. I always forget to let go of R when I'm near a star.

Yeah, I hate this, especially when I know you can't reach the first lob star and want to try for the second, but if I get too close to the first one I zone shot. Would be nice to be able to rebind zone shot, even if it might not fit a single joycon.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Yeah, I hate this, especially when I know you can't reach the first lob star and want to try for the second, but if I get too close to the first one I zone shot. Would be nice to be able to rebind zone shot, even if it might not fit a single joycon.

Speaking of remapping, I wonder if the mapping of lob shot, drop shot, and trick shot to the same button was deliberate. I've definitely flubbed attempted drop shots before and lost the point because it registered as a mistimed trick shot instead. I've seen others do the same, ball right in front of them but they suddenly dance away. It does de-power the drop shot a bit.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Peach even has the best after rally taunt strut.

I still think Waluigi is too strong, at least in Standard mode, for the simple fact his meter gain is obnoxious. Any time I face a decent Waluigi they seemingly gain meter at double the rate I do.

Last edited:

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I immediately changed the trick shots to right stick only after the latest patch.

But then my wife and I were playing in split screen and as far as I could tell she had no way to change this to be the same as me. It seems that option only related to player one.

Hoping someone can tell me I'm wrong.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I immediately changed the trick shots to right stick only after the latest patch.

But then my wife and I were playing in split screen and as far as I could tell she had no way to change this to be the same as me. It seems that option only related to player one.

Hoping someone can tell me I'm wrong.
I can't answer definitively, but I will say that it's a good idea to double check your settings at the character select screen every time to remove any doubt.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Man, Finals matches are always just so brutal. As the population gets lower the people you face in the finals are always so godlike. I've won a few but sometimes I just get smoked and I check the leaderboards and they are like top 10 with a 98% winning percentage. They play like robots they're so good.

Nov 13, 2017
Is this game's tennis gameplay better than Virtua Tennis and other competitors? I only care about the gameplay itself, stuff like the story mode, number of characters, courts, etc don't matter at all.

Me and my brother love tennis, but haven't been able to find a game that feels good to play. Is this good for pure tennis action?

Thank you :)

Anidav

Oct 25, 2017
Brisbane
It is the best Tennis game released in years

It is also the worst Tennis game released in years.

I love it but I also hate it but I love to hate it so I can't stop loving it but fuck the game is a broken piece of shit

Anyway. Best tennis game in years.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't answer definitively, but I will say that it's a good idea to double check your settings at the character select screen every time to remove any doubt.
The settings in the main menu only seem to apply to player one. The problem is player 2, and I don't see an option anywhere to adjust for them.

Is this game's tennis gameplay better than Virtua Tennis and other competitors? I only care about the gameplay itself, stuff like the story mode, number of characters, courts, etc don't matter at all.

Me and my brother love tennis, but haven't been able to find a game that feels good to play. Is this good for pure tennis action?

Thank you :)
It's hard to say what is better. Is Forza better than Gran Turismo? I don't know. They're both very good.

Mario Tennis Aces is a very fun arcade tennis game. I think it's fair to say it's actually more complex than any Virtua Tennis game. It's got a lot to learn, but it has a lot of depth as a result of that. The truth is there just aren't many new Tennis games being made these days. This is definitely the best one in years.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of remapping, I wonder if the mapping of lob shot, drop shot, and trick shot to the same button was deliberate. I've definitely flubbed attempted drop shots before and lost the point because it registered as a mistimed trick shot instead. I've seen others do the same, ball right in front of them but they suddenly dance away. It does de-power the drop shot a bit.

You can disable trickshot on the X button, thankfully. I usually to do B,A / A,B for lobs / drops but I've started using the X button when catching lobs as it will usually trigger a standard shot on the first input otherwise. I still somehow whiff it with the X button despite disabling trickshots on it and not being caught of form, dunno if responds to just pressing X button first without a direction, or if I accidentally hit the horizontal directions with the stick.

Nov 13, 2017
The settings in the main menu only seem to apply to player one. The problem is player 2, and I don't see an option anywhere to adjust for them.

It's hard to say what is better. Is Forza better than Gran Turismo? I don't know. They're both very good.

Mario Tennis Aces is a very fun arcade tennis game. I think it's fair to say it's actually more complex than any Virtua Tennis game. It's got a lot to learn, but it has a lot of depth as a result of that. The truth is there just aren't many new Tennis games being made these days. This is definitely the best one in years.

Thank you! Think I'll give it a shot if I can get it in the low 40s in the coming months :)

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I can't with some of these matches. This has to be one of the sweatiest games I've ever played, and the length of matches can be grueling. I played 3 so far today and I'm already mentally exhausted.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

Virtua Tennis is as basic as it gets, the game doesn't even differentiate between flat and topspin.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Saying it's more complex than VT doesn't really mean anything because they game is at simple as it gets mechanically.

I would actually say Aces in simple mode has as much depth as something like Top Spin 4. It's just the Mario aesthetic which puts it under the radar.

Deleted member 15538

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bragging about your win percentage while admitting you avoid finals. lol

Bragging about what I'd consider slightly above average stats? Yeah no lol.
The issue is still there by the way, staring at a screen telling you it's looking for an opponent in the final for several minutes (!) just isn't fun you know. Especially as matchmaking is rather fast (I'd say 15 sec on average, maybe 30 for a semi-final) making it really annoying. And then the real struggle of getting matched against someone 5 times in a row who refuses to play? Fuck that, THEY should be kicked out of the tournament if they refuse to play as the game can tell if a connection is "solid" enough to start a match..

You do have a point paid online might be killing simple mode at least seeing as I already play against the same opponents quite regularly. Never experienced that in another online game. And it has sold 1.4M so far? Shame

Anidav

Oct 25, 2017
Brisbane
Then you need to run up to return it but they run up too and sure you can lob it but Koopa is immune to being lobbed over because he is so fast, Waluigi because he is so tall and Peach for reasons unknown is very offensive and defensive at the same time, essentially the perfect character.

I feel like giving the fastest character the best drop shot in the game is a bad move.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
The rating system is messed up. It'll seemingly do nothing to stop me from being matched with people who have loads more tournament points (and skill), yet losing one match will wipe out the miniscule gains from half a dozen wins.

Deleted member 15538

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So when charging up before returning a serve in simple, do you have to use that particular type of shot? Never really thought about it untill now and the animation doesn't seem different but it would make more sense if it actually mattered.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
So when charging up before returning a serve in simple, do you have to use that particular type of shot? Never really thought about it untill now and the animation doesn't seem different but it would make more sense if it actually mattered.

You can switch shot while charging, though I'm not sure if there's a treshold for when changing topspin<->lob becomes a dropshot/lob instead.

Deleted member 15538

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can switch shot while charging, though I'm not sure if there's a treshold for when changing topspin<->lob becomes a dropshot/lob instead.

I believe we're not synchronised here. :p
If you immediately press a shot button before receiving the serve you'll see a charge animation and it ends too before your actual return (always an orange glow), might be called the taunt iirc. The game must have mentioned it at some point or I wouldn't know about it and I also see good opponents do it all the time.
My question was if it matters if you use the same shot (button) as the one you "taunted" with. It doesn't make much sense reading this back but I can't explain it in a better way as English is my fourth language sorry lol.

I prefer using the left stick and X for lobs/drops btw.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is probably one of the most intense multiplayer games I've ever played.

Like sometimes it's close but then I make a mistake and lose.... damn almost had it.... arggagh;h. But then sometimes it's like, fuck yeah! Eat that, jerk.

Anidav

Oct 25, 2017
Brisbane
I'm sick of this game matching me up with dumb exploiters. Peach, Waluigi, Bowser, Koopa.

Drop shot and extreme angle fucks who camp the net and are mostly immune to lobs and build up meter in 6 shots and spam super forever.

Even when you do catch them out of place they'd built enough meter by now to slow down time.

Those four characters are just major issues for me and I hate running into them because they all follow the same pattern:

If not serving return with drop shot, camp net, if lob use speed or backwards trick shot.

If serving essentially the same thing, the net area is just so strong here.

Some people are basically unbeatable because lobs are very weak and not very fast in this game.

Because you can't charge a lob at the net there isn't enough time to return with one of those tricky curve lobs. So you can only reply drop shots with shitty lobs.

All other options feed their net play and meter.

I just feel like some people out there have figured the game out and drop shots are the key.

It sucks man.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sick of this game matching me up with dumb exploiters. Peach, Waluigi, Bowser, Koopa.

Drop shot and extreme angle fucks who camp the net and are mostly immune to lobs and build up meter in 6 shots and spam super forever.

Even when you do catch them out of place they'd built enough meter by now to slow down time.

Those four characters are just major issues for me and I hate running into them because they all follow the same pattern:

If not serving return with drop shot, camp net, if lob use speed or backwards trick shot.

If serving essentially the same thing, the net area is just so strong here.

Some people are basically unbeatable because lobs are very weak and not very fast in this game.

Because you can't charge a lob at the net there isn't enough time to return with one of those tricky curve lobs. So you can only reply drop shots with shitty lobs.

All other options feed their net play and meter.

I just feel like some people out there have figured the game out and drop shots are the key.

It sucks man.
Yup. This has kind of made me stop playing....for now.

Anidav

Oct 25, 2017
Brisbane
I think I'm almost done with this game too.

I tried to love it I really did but drop shots and trick shots just shouldn't really be as good as they are, and some characters shouldn't have better drop shots than others. It should just be spins on the main 3 shots instead like Boo or Blooper or Bowser.

Instead you have fucking crazy powerful characters like Peach, Waluigi, Koopa & Bowser that basically make the entire roster redundant because of how easily they can return shots at odd angles or how easy they can get to the net and be basically an unbeatable force.

Drop shots shouldn't be able to be charged, a charged drop shot is simply deadly and nearly impossible to return properly. A character that uses drop shots extremely effectively (Peach & extreme angle drop shot, Koopa and only 1 bounce drop shot) just has an extreme advantage in all cases, courts and matchups and they basically never feel the pressure because they know every shot they do at the net is extremely difficult to return. Man, drop shots aside, Waluigi and Peach's blue shots at the net are also just as stupid.

Bowser can basically push you out of the court with his fully charged red shots and super and then reply with a drop shot meaning that these characters basically have a guaranteed win every time following the same patter of heavily relying on drop shots.

Dispatch

Oct 25, 2017
I just waited 20 minutes for a semi-final opponent, and never got one, so I backed out. I'm with a lot of people in this thread that the game will be dead soon, and the paid online will be the final nail.

Layth

Oct 27, 2017
The online tournament structure is awesome when there were a lot of people playing the game. However, now with the online population dwindling it sometimes takes too long to find a match.

ValtermcPires

Oct 30, 2017
Zdwd7hb.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJC9TnTAfv0

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But they won't put Diddy into MK.

The way these tournaments are set-up is kinda doodoo. Unlocking characters is trivial and they have a points system with nothing to work towards. Still an extremely solid base but the way they've handled the online portion pales in comparison to Splatoon and ARMS.

Deleted member 15538

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just waited 20 minutes for a semi-final opponent, and never got one, so I backed out. I'm with a lot of people in this thread that the game will be dead soon, and the paid online will be the final nail.

You must be avoiding finals! New Fang
Haven't had much time to play this month but I'm happy with my 3.6k rating so far.

They should really do a free weekend simple mode before dropping their online paywall just to show people this is a legit tennis game, not that standard shite.