• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I only remember a little form my time playing the demo but do the trick shots, etc get less frustrating the more you use them?

Most of the gameplay is online right? Have patches made it so, or at least attempting, to make it so not only a few characters are dominating?

Do you get points and unlocks even if you lose a lot?

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, co-op challenges are going to be incredibly frustrating if they continue to require swing mode and match you up with single bar players.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
This is in the how to play section but a quick tip if you didn't realize during the dark room segments if you lob and hit a glowing boo you can control a flashlight by tilting your joycon and boos in the crossfire get triple coins from your teammates.

edit: Wow, my team killed it with 746 coins in Round 3! Still ended with a B rank. lol

Last edited:

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Is this new? You get a new prize for completing the new Adventure Mode island.

A new racquet for Mario for use in Adventure, Free Play, and Tournament modes.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Is this new? You get a new prize for completing the new Adventure Mode island.

A new racquet for Mario for use in Adventure, Free Play, and Tournament modes.

Yup. The challenges weren't that bad, either. What's kinda lame is you can't use that new prize with his regular outfit, only his Aces outfit.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I really enjoyed the challenges--did around 4,000 on the rally challenge before getting bored. ha

Wish they were regular mini-games for multiplayer.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I just hope future costumes aren't just lame color swaps or hats.

Does anyone know if you get anything extra or special if you get an A rank for all the story time trials?

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Currently have 8,000-something in the Co-Op Challenge mode. On my way to earning the second Boo visor!

ShadowMurloc

Oct 30, 2017
Sydney Australia
Finally bought this game and was disappointed to find the online was dead. My kids and I had so much fun with the adventure mode, it would be a shame if thats the end of it.
We are always guaranteed a game of Splatoon 2 on the weekends but we would love to play some Tennis Aces, I love how it plays. Am I doing something wrong or is there a serious lack of interest in this game. Like it's dropped off a cliff?

Darksaberx

Jun 13, 2018
Finally bought this game and was disappointed to find the online was dead. My kids and I had so much fun with the adventure mode, it would be a shame if thats the end of it.
We are always guaranteed a game of Splatoon 2 on the weekends but we would love to play some Tennis Aces, I love how it plays. Am I doing something wrong or is there a serious lack of interest in this game. Like it's dropped off a cliff?

Me and my wife moved to super mario party.

Last time we played this was a couple of weeks ago when Birdo was released. Even then, I had to wait to find a single match to unlock Birdo.

ShadowMurloc

Oct 30, 2017
Sydney Australia
they literally just added new modes and events...

not sure why you feel ripped off...
Like I said I only just got the game so to have finished the adventure mode in a few hours and to not be able to find a game online is pretty disappointing. I've got 2 kids, we are not waiting 10 minutes for a match.

Look I'm sure if I was playing months ago when it was popular I would have been loving it, but as it stands now it feels barebones as fuck.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
It was always barebones as hell but the gameplay was great but as time goes on more and more people drop it because of the horrid balance and drip feeding of content in the form of new characters and patches.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm late as hell and just realized they added a new island to Adventure mode with 5 challenges

I can't believe they put a boss rush in this thing. And not shortened! The whole ass boss fights, lol.

edit: yeah I was super late to that, forgot all about it haha

Last edited:

Deleted member 15538

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only switch game in 2018 I cared about, became unplayable online in simple mode. :(
NSO shite didn't help obviously but camelot should learn a bit about matchmaking based on rating (they even introduced that stat later lol) because it scared away a lot of players getting matched against hardcore lads. Didn't it sell 1M+? What a shitshow.

Ah well, I've had a couple amazing months playing this online after waiting more than a decade for a good arcade tennis game, fingers crossed for Virtua or Everybody's Tennis. :)

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Why is it unplayable in simple, no population?

All me and my friend wanted were ranked doubles. We lost interest when we knew it wasn't going to happen.

Deleted member 15538

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why is it unplayable in simple, no population?

All me and my friend wanted were ranked doubles. We lost interest when we knew it wasn't going to happen.

Up to 5 minutes round 2 during EU peak times. And if you have that patience, you'll play the same opponent 3 times an hour.
It used to be incredibly snappy, so much fun to play a couple of games, didn't matter when really. I would have played this for another year.:(

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
Focusing on tournaments was the wrong move. You'd have to be incredibly fortunate (and patient) to even be given a chance to win one now, but even if Camelot got everything right, would a tennis game last online? It belongs in the same pile as Super Mario Party and will remain a fun option for local multiplayer. Online would need a significant overhaul but that ship has sailed.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Online community totally dead in simple mode. Reached the semifinal in a breeze and can't find an opponent now. Even the world number 1 only has 9 tournament titles. That was totally different at launch of the game. Played the game there a lot. Auch a difference now :/ At least I'm enjoying to play as Diddy Kong a lot.

Maybe we should set up our own ERA matches?

Last edited:

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Paid online really killed simple mode?

Probably part of it. Another is it just gets boring after awhile if no new content is added.

The only switch game in 2018 I cared about, became unplayable online in simple mode. :(

Geez, you weren't kidding. Hopped on to get Birdo and Paratrooper and won a simple tourney but it took awhile to find that finals match.

And damn this game's population really did tank. I'm only 5-0 after one tourney completion on simple mode and I'm ranked 215 in the world and 62 in USA. LOL

edit: and there's some shenanigans going on with the leaderboards. I checked October's final rankings and #2 in the USA has a record of 1004-129 with only one tournament win, which means he probably just wins the first match and resets to get terrible opponents over and over. Crazy that Camelot never patched or prevented this in any way.

Last edited:

Layth

Oct 27, 2017
The tournament structure was cool for when the online population could support it. Now it's a big hindrance and is the reason why I dropped the game. The game is really fun when you're playing someone around your skill level.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
For those who still actually want to play there is a discord group where you can set up custom matches and they hold tournaments that they stream so there's still a dedicated fanbase. Only problem is these people are usually all godlike but I'm sure you could find lower skilled players on the discord if you look.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The only way to save online is to have events like party crash in Arms.

Concentrate people for a single weekend sometimes.

Coop challenge seems like it will be a failure. No costumes beyond boo announced.... Honestly it's a mess with horrible execution and planning.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Yooo

Also apparently here's what the December patch will bring, too:
Confirmed Changes:

- Doubles Ranked Mode

- New version of Savage Sea without the mast

- New Co-Op Challenge featuring Ring Shot and colored Yoshis

- Dual Character Release: Shy Guy and Petey Piranha (December 2nd)

- New Confirmed Characters Revealed:

- Luma (Technical)

- Boom Boom (Defensive)

- Pauline (Speedy)

Ranked doubles! Might have to start playing this game again.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
Two characters in the same month. Was this always planned or are they in panic mode?

The update looks good in terms of what it adds but can the current online modes afford to lose all those players to ranked doubles on top of a new co-op event?

Deleted member 18807

Yooo

Also apparently here's what the December patch will bring, too:

Ranked doubles! Might have to start playing this game again.

Also random No Hazard courts in Online Tournaments (except the last match, which is reserved for Night Marina Stadium).
I loved this. Is it from this update or was it already in the game?