• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it is pretty weird. At least the option to play with CPUs make it really easy to get everything quickly this time. We really didn't need three more Boo alts though.

At this point i'm expecting the next event to be a Yoshi rerun (with more Yoshi colors) before the next new event (probably based around Chain Chomp or Shy Guy).

I actually remember seeing someone predict the Tennis 64 Toad alt, and i'm really glad they were right about it. It looks great too, and it'll be the only Toad appearance I use when I eventually get it.
Going back to the Yoshi well would be such a bummer when we could have Chain Chomp visors, Shy Guy colors, Luma colors...could easily have Red Koopa and Green Paratroopa too!

That said I'll take more Yoshi colors over more Boo Visors

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I'm happy my boy Mario got some buffs, he seems a bit better now. Increasing his angles is pretty big. Maybe he won't be trash tier when they release the new tier list. lol

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Is there, like, any resources that has data on how the characters differ from one another. At the start of the game's release there was a lot of research done on specific shots, their angles and so forth but that sorta disappeared and also i guess never updated??

I know the community for this is pretty small but it's surprising to me there's no hard data that I can find.

Wonderrade

The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is there, like, any resources that has data on how the characters differ from one another. At the start of the game's release there was a lot of research done on specific shots, their angles and so forth but that sorta disappeared and also i guess never updated??

I know the community for this is pretty small but it's surprising to me there's no hard data that I can find.

I dont know whats publicly available but your best bet is joining the discord. They have the info tucked away there somewhere

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
It's been so long since I've played Mario Tennis 64 that I didn't put 2 and 2 together that the new Toad costume was directly from that game. It looks nice, and I managed to get it rather quickly. Won both a Standard and a Simple tournament. Then, I proceeded to get pounded to dust by an excellent Luma!

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
It isn't the same Boo costumes though; it's a different set of three.
Have you already gotten the three new ones and can confirm they are all different? Not sure if I wanna bother to get all three. The black one you get first is definitely new. The other two look identical to two of the old ones to me, though.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Have you already gotten the three new ones and can confirm they are all different? Not sure if I wanna bother to get all three. The black one you get first is definitely new. The other two look identical to two of the old ones to me, though.
checking the mario wiki, the 3 colors before were Blue, Green, Purple and the 3 now are Black, Black with Purple Brim and Blue with Yellow Bri

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Yeah, i've gotten the three new costumes. They are all different (the last two are a mix of different colors, which is why they might look similar to you).

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
God damn it, they still didn't fix the communication error issue

Boo Hunt clearly check points you, but you only get the coins if the full 3 rounds finishes (or you fail, obviously). With the ring shot challenge, that was annoying but it's a much quicker experience.
But it totally ruins the Boo challenge. My squad had a great run, we already had at least 1100 in the bank and were on our way to finishing the third set but oops! Communication error! So we got nothing but wasted time.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Looks like not a lot is playing this game online anymore :(

It takes a bit but I eventually get matched.

It's a shame the game doesn't have a better structure and content. Both online and offline. This drip feed model doesn't work. Costumes and characters should have been unlockable rewards from the start by actually doing stuff

I've just had some amazing games online. The gameplay is just great, leading to tense tight rallies and matches.

Btw. Boom boom's animation is spectacular.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, it is pretty weird. At least the option to play with CPUs make it really easy to get everything quickly this time. We really didn't need three more Boo alts though.

At this point i'm expecting the next event to be a Yoshi rerun (with more Yoshi colors) before the next new event (probably based around Chain Chomp or Shy Guy).

I actually remember seeing someone predict the Tennis 64 Toad alt, and i'm really glad they were right about it. It looks great too, and it'll be the only Toad appearance I use when I eventually get it.

So the boo mode became a new swing mode upon ending.

Did the yoshi mode get Incorporated anywhere?

This game's content is so bizarre. Free play options still a confusing mess

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
It takes a bit but I eventually get matched.

It's a shame the game doesn't have a better structure and content. Both online and offline. This drip feed model doesn't work. Costumes and characters should have been unlockable rewards from the start by actually doing stuff

I've just had some amazing games online. The gameplay is just great, leading to tense tight rallies and matches.

Btw. Boom boom's animation is spectacular.
I came back after a couple of months and see good changes. The ranking and tournament systems are good now

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
The higher your rating, the harder it is to find matches. That's why you always see people in the Top 10 have insane win rates and under 10 tourney wins because A/A+ players can't find matches in the finals so they just reset the tourney each time.

I'm B and I can still find matches pretty fast, but yeah they should at least do away with skipping the first round if you have over 2,500 rating. They are short enough, everyone should just start from the first game.

I also think they should just do 1v1 matchmaking like a typical fighting game would have at this point that can still track rating and W/L for leaderboards.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Boo mode is so bad and boring and tedious.

It seems like there's more players online than normal, though, so that's good. Tournament mode is as good as it always is. Boom Boom is kinda weird, not a fan of his awkward moving left and right crab style, even if it's unique.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I had been drowning in games so I went on a Mario Tennis hiatus. I'm back today, there's a handful of new characters, and I got a sweet sports costume for my man Toad! I still love this game, lol.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York

Not the best but this is with chrome translation:
  • Holding the third cooperation mission "Hey Ho Train Battle"
  • We will hold a new cooperative mission "Hei Ho Train Battle" from the time of delivery of Ver.2.3.0 until April 15, 2019 AM 9:00. Cooperation mission is an online mode, which is held only for a specific period.
    • In order to play a cooperative mission, you need to join Nintendo Switch Online.
  • Hey Ho Train Battle is a mission to recover the coins that are hopped by the Heiho bandits, and will play with a swing operation.
    With four friends and a strange player I encountered at that time, I will challenge my goal with four people. (Up to 4 people can join from one Nintendo Switch if there is a controller for the number of people.)
    By achieving the goal, it becomes possible to use different colors of Heiho (blue, green, yellow) I will.
  • If four players do not gather, COM will be refilled according to the number of people shortage after a certain count has passed.
  • Participate in new characters and add costumes
  • If you play a tournament in March for one match, you will be able to use the new character "Poline". Polar is a speed type character, and it can move faster than other characters during acceleration. (On the other hand, it is difficult to change the direction when accelerating, and it is more likely to be pushed out to the ball when you hit it.)
    • To play online tournaments, you need to join Nintendo Switch Online.
    • From 9:00 on April 1, 2019, you can obtain pollen without having to clear the conditions.
  • If you play a game in the March online tournament and collect the necessary benefit points, you will be able to use Dogwang wearing a hat. There are three kinds of hat colors.
    • Only people who gave the necessary bonus points during March can get bow wearing a hat.
    • There is no difference in performance in terms of normal "bow-wow".
    • Reward points will be reset the next month.
  • Even after April, we are planning to enter new characters and add costumes.
  • Change in character performance
  • Changed the performance of some characters.
    Character name Changes
    • Catherine
    • I made the volley ball speed a bit faster.
    • A boom
    • I slowed the volley ball speed slightly.
    • I greatly downed the ability to aim at the side line.
    • We slowed the overall performance on movement.
    • We shortened the distance that can be hit by a technical shot in the front and back direction.
    • Chico
    • I made it a little slippery when moving.
    • I slowed the maximum speed of the movement slightly.
  • Other changes
  • 【Online Tournament】 Fixed the problem that 1P was displayed as the organizer with a low probability on the pair of doubles department pairs and then the software ended afterwards.
  • 【Kochin Snowyama】 When I contacted with the passengers of the train appearing when there is a gimmick at the timing of shaking the racket, I corrected the behavior which the play character was extruded largely.
  • [Achino Island] I made sure that the balls in the rally do not hit the ducts that are placed when there is a gimmick.
  • [Cooperation Mission] We adjusted the motion when using Dogwood in a cooperative mission playing with a swing operation.
  • Fixed an issue where the motion when hitting a drop shot sometimes became the one when hitting the top spin.
  • In addition, we made adjustments to improve ease of play.

Proper English notes should be out tomorrow, though.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Based on that translation, looks like the next event is Shy Guy themed and the tournament costume is the Chain Chomp hat that was revealed ages ago

Guess I need to do my once a month 1-2 hour binge of Aces to get costumes and then not play again hehe

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Kamek and Dry Bones are coming in April/May. These are the final two character from the story mode that aren't playable.

Unless they have a July character or two in June, looks like it's a deathmatch between Baby Mario or Dry Bowser for the final slot. Or they could pull a surprise character out and forget those two.

English notes
Version 2.3.0
  • 3rd Co-op Challenge: Shy Guy Train Tussle!
    • The new Co-op Challenge, Shy Guy Train Tussle, will be available from the start of Ver. 2.3.0 distribution until 9:00 AM on April 15th, 2019. Co-op Challenge is a mode for online play which will only be held for a certain period of time.
      • Nintendo Switch Online membership is required to play Co-op Challenge.
    • Shy Guy Train Tussle is played in Swing Mode. You'll work with other players to get back coins stolen by Shy Guy bandits.
      A four-player team of friends or players from online is formed, and your goal is to complete the objective together. (If each player has a controller, up to four players can play on one Nintendo Switch system.)
      You can acquire three Shy Guys of different colors (blue, green, and yellow) by completing objectives.
    • If there aren't four total players, the necessary number of COM players will be added after a certain amount of time has passed.
  • New Characters and Costumes Added
    • If you play at least one match of the March Online Tournament, you'll be able to use the new character Pauline. Pauline is fast, and can accelerate faster than other characters. However, changing direction while accelerating is difficult, and she's more easily pushed back by returned balls.
      • Nintendo Switch Online membership is required to play Online Tournament.
      • Pauline will become available to use as of 9:00 AM on April 1st, 2019, even if you haven't played one match of the March Online Tournament.
    • If you play a match in the March Online Tournament and collect the necessary bonus points, you'll be able to use a Chain Chomp with a hat. The hat is available in three colors.
      • Only people who earn the necessary amount of points in in March will acquire the Chain Chomp with a hat.
      • This Chain Chomp has the same abilities as a regular Chain Chomp.
      • Bonus Points will be reset the following month.
    • Additional new characters and costumes are planned for April and later.
  • Changes to Character Abilities
    • The abilities of certain characters have been changed.
    • Birdo
      • Slightly increased the speed of her volley shot.
    • Boom Boom
      • Slightly decreased the speed of his volley shot.
      • Greatly decreased his ability to aim for the edges of the sideline.
      • Slowed down overall abilities related to movement.
      • Slowed down the distance he can return a ball using a longitudinal Trick Shot.
    • Luma
      • Made it a little easier to slip when moving.
      • Slightly decreased the top movement speed.
  • Other Changes
    • Online Tournament: Fixed problem on screen where you pair up in Doubles Class in which there's a low probability of P1 and the host being displayed and then the software shuts down.
    • Snowfall Mountain: Adjusted behavior of playable character getting greatly pushed back when swinging racket and contacting passengers who appear when there are hazards.
    • Inferno Island: Made it so that shots during a rally will not hit a duct when the settings for hazards is turned on.
    • Co-op Challenge: Adjusted motion when using Chain Chomp during a Co-op Challenge using Swing Mode.
    • Fixed an issue with the animation wherein hitting a drop shot would become the same motion as when hitting a topspin.
    • Other adjustments have been made to improve gameplay.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't the Baby Mario listing fake? I know the Dry Bowser one is real, at least, but I thought Baby Mario was confirmed fake recent-ish.

Bummed that the Shy Guy minigame is in swing mode again. I get wanting to add value to the mode but swing mode just kind of sucks.
Add the Yoshi Ring game to the normal menu, cowards

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Just finished unlocking all of the new stuff for this month (Pauline, the three Chain Chomp alts and the three Shy Guy alts). I'm honestly really happy that we're getting some decent post-release support for this game. Beyond the remaining few characters and a couple alt costumes i'm still waiting for, all I really want to see from the game by June is:
  • Proper Game and Set customisation: i'm confident we'll see it happen eventually. Maybe in the May Update (which we know is coming).
  • More Courts to choose from: i'm definitely losing hope in this one, though the fact that one pre-release trailer showed one of the Adventure Mode boss arenas in a regular match gives me some hope that it'll happen eventually.
  • Offline Co-op Challenges: this is also something i'm expecting. We already have Boo Hunt available, but i'm sure we'll eventually get Yoshi's Ring Shot and the new Shy Guy game (plus any other potential challenges we'll see before the new content support ends, maybe one using the Panel stuff from Adventure Mode as a base?)
Bummed that the Shy Guy minigame is in swing mode again. I get wanting to add value to the mode but swing mode just kind of sucks.
Add the Yoshi Ring game to the normal menu, cowards
I was a little disappointed that we got another Swing Mode challenge, but after playing it a bunch to grind for the Shy Guy alts, it is pretty fun. I do wish that each of the challenges were available in BOTH regular and swing modes (and that includes the big ball and rally challenges that were already in Swing Mode at launch).

I'm sure we'll get Ring Shot offline eventually; wonder why it hasn't happened yet though.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I picked this up last night, and I just have a quick question: can I use up and down to lob/dropshot a topspin, slice, or flat shot?

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
  • More Courts to choose from: i'm definitely losing hope in this one, though the fact that one pre-release trailer showed one of the Adventure Mode boss arenas in a regular match gives me some hope that it'll happen eventually.
I don't understand how the inside of the pyramid is a 100% fully playable court in single player, but you can't select it in multiplayer...

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how the inside of the pyramid is a 100% fully playable court in single player, but you can't select it in multiplayer...
Every court has a version of itself used for singleplayer stuff and it's insane none of them are playable. Like do they think that just because they dont have a gimmick, people wouldn't play on them?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Every court has a version of itself used for singleplayer stuff and it's insane none of them are playable. Like do they think that just because they dont have a gimmick, people wouldn't play on them?
Yeah, it really does confuse me. I guess the reason might be the lack of hazards, but i'm sure most people play with hazards-off anyway, and visual variety is more important regardless.

They had to have planned for those courts to be playable at some point, since they featured Ancient Alter in one of the trailers
kIdVnzA.jpg
but i'm just wondering why they haven't just let us use them yet. Maybe they're saving it for a "big addition" for the final update of the game or something? Who really knows. Every location has at least one unique map from Adventure Mode they could use, and some even have two; so they should really get around to letting us use these courts.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Too bad Pauline (or PAULINE according to the game) is pretty weak. Her shot and volley speed is abysmal which makes it really hard to score as her. The one thing I did notice was she did have pretty good angles with her flat shots which is weird but besides this she definitely needs some buffs to be worthwhile.

Camelot as a whole is awful at character balance initially. They are either so horrifically OP (Boom Boom) or flat out bad (Pauline). It sucks we have to wait for a monthly patch before they are either nerfed or viable, and even then they might be nerfed so hard they become unusable like Bowser Jr. I haven't tried Boom Boom yet but people are saying he went from OP to awful in one patch. lol

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Yeah, what's with "PAULINE"? Quality control, please. I'm nervous to imagine they patch in the last DLC character and just leave them as all-caps, because "whoops". I was almost afraid it's some weird brand thing where Nintendo has mandated that PAULINE is an all-caps name or something.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Yeah, what's with "PAULINE"? Quality control, please. I'm nervous to imagine they patch in the last DLC character and just leave them as all-caps, because "whoops". I was almost afraid it's some weird brand thing where Nintendo has mandated that PAULINE is an all-caps name or something.
The funny thing about it is that it only seems to affect the English versions of the game. In languages where the name 'Pauline' is still used, the name is written out properly.

Based on the CSS placeholder slot, we might have to wait until May for them to fix it.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Its me or the online in this game is ultra dead? Is taking a lot of time to find a game in tournament mode.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I got the Chain Chomp costumes...

ugh... now I have to suffer through whatever ridiculous motion control minigame Camelot decided to punish me with this time. 99% of players will be on dial up with crippling lag, and the one time my team is doing well, it'll disconnect and I'll lose the progress. Like always.

Its me or the online in this game is ultra dead? Is taking a lot of time to find a game in tournament mode.
I go through weird periods where I might not find a match for 2+ minutes, but then after I find that one match, I find matches in seconds. I also get matched against the same players often, so I don't think there are too many players out there.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
ugh... now I have to suffer through whatever ridiculous motion control minigame Camelot decided to punish me with this time. 99% of players will be on dial up with crippling lag, and the one time my team is doing well, it'll disconnect and I'll lose the progress. Like always.
Luckily for me, I managed to find a wi-fi dead spot where i'm still technically connected, but won't match up with anyone due to how weak that connection is, so I can just play it with the CPUs. If it weren't for the addition of CPUs in the co-op challenges, I definitely wouldn't have the rewards yet.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Luckily for me, I managed to find a wi-fi dead spot where i'm still technically connected, but won't match up with anyone due to how weak that connection is, so I can just play it with the CPUs. If it weren't for the addition of CPUs in the co-op challenges, I definitely wouldn't have the rewards yet.
I don't get why I can't just play with CPUs whenever I want...

I don't even play as Shy Guy, I use Paratroopa and Petey lol

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
The Shy Guy game is actually pretty fun, although I really do not like motion controls, I never feel like I can control the ball

Anyway, with human teammates I averaged about 2k points per round, but with a CPU team, I hit 7k points in one round.

...I wish I could just play with CPUs, I could have this done in less than an hour. Oh well, I have 9k left for the last skin, hopefully I'll get more CPU rounds to make that go faster.

Beamerball

Jan 16, 2018
All the sudden this game is starting to click with me (and I've had it since launch). Had a lot of fun this month with the tournaments. Makes me wish I could go back and take part in the prior tournament for the character costumes.

Do we have any indication if there will be other methods to unlock previously available costumes? Wish we could just play offline stuff to unlock alternate cosutumers, etc. I missed out on the classic Luigi alt