• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Nah, I think the max was always 20K if I'm not mistaken. It probably seemed faster because like you said you teamed with CPU more often.

Less people are doing them now because they are just repeating costumes. I was little bummed myself when I saw nothing was new this month.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York

Oh man, I got nervous for a second and thought they were shutting down the servers for the game. lol

the gameplay in this was fire. The high skill ceiling and Nintendo online timing hurt

Agreed. The gameplay was and still is amazing, but man if you're not good or learning the ropes you are gonna get absolutely smoked online. Obviously worse now with the tiny population. I think it also did a poor job with player retention. Nowadays these types of games need constant updates and unlockables to strive for in order to incentivize people to keep playing. Something like CTR does with its grand prix's and Fortnite-like shop. The monthly character/costume thing got old fast and they were very easy to unlock so if you didn't care about placing on the leaderboard there was nothing to do. It was also horribly balanced at launch and like you said having Ultimate and the online sub come out that December really hurt it, as well.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
I just got this (thanks to the sale - Nintnedo games rarely go on sale), and I played a bit - it throws you right into the adventure-mode/story, which was off-putting, as I just wanted to play a few rounds with my wife.

Anyhoo, what's the best/quickest way to unlock stuff - I know I'll never play online.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Hey all! How is everyone doing? Is everything unlock able by playing single player/adventure mode? Or do you have to play online for cosmetics? How is the game now? I've been thinking about picking it up to play with my wife and also just to play on my own here and there offline.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Hey all! How is everyone doing? Is everything unlock able by playing single player/adventure mode? Or do you have to play online for cosmetics? How is the game now? I've been thinking about picking it up to play with my wife and also just to play on my own here and there offline.

There are a bunch of cosmetics tied to online play that you won't be able to get. I haven't played the game in a long time but I'm pretty sure they still do monthly rotations of these cosmetics every month similar to how Mario Golf is set up.

The game itself is super solid if you enjoy the gameplay loop. The offline modes leave a lot to be desired though so unless you plan to play online or with friends offline than you'll probably find yourself getting bored with it very quick.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
There are a bunch of cosmetics tied to online play that you won't be able to get. I haven't played the game in a long time but I'm pretty sure they still do monthly rotations of these cosmetics every month similar to how Mario Golf is set up.

The game itself is super solid if you enjoy the gameplay loop. The offline modes leave a lot to be desired though so unless you plan to play online or with friends offline than you'll probably find yourself getting bored with it very quick.

Does the game put in bots if you are struggling to find games? That would be really cool if it's taking too long. I think every game should be like this if their online is dead.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Does the game put in bots if you are struggling to find games? That would be really cool if it's taking too long. I think every game should be like this if their online is dead.
unfortunately no, and imo the cpu in this game is not well balanced anyway. It's either a super weak cpu or an input reading machine which always gets full energy and misses zero shot.
t's a shame too because the gameplay is great

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
That's a shame. I may have to skip, especially since the game is never really a good price for me. $45 to me is still expensive for the way it's been detailed. Hopefully the next Tennis game..

Thanks all!

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
I left the game months ago because it took a long time to find a game
Today I decided to boot it up and I'm actually finding games!

Hopefully this stays for a lot longer this time and Mario Strikers too

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I decided to boot this again and am enjoying it a lot! I lose a lot more than I win online and one thing I've noticed is that I always generate less energy than my opponents, even when playing against the CPU. I know that nice serves, well-timed trick shots and charged shots can generate energy, but is there something else I'm missing?

Also, whenever the CPU manages to get more energy than me they completely destroy me and I can't ever generate enough energy to make a comeback; I get trapped in spending what little energy I get defending while they get start shot after start shot. What can I do?

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I figured it out, so I think I'd share in case any one else still wants to play this:
  1. In order to generate energy with Trick Shots you need to predict the opponents shot. If you try to react to an opponents shot, you'll end up spending energy instead.
  2. Use the right stick for Trick Shots, double tapping X is much slower and will mess up your timing.
  3. Even if you predict the shot correctly, if you input the Trick Shot command a bit late you won't get the energy. This was happening to me a lot, so, instead of tilting the stick when the opponent hits the ball, I've started to hold it down before the opponent event hits the ball and until the Trick Shot comes out. This way I know for sure that the Trick Shot will come out as soon as possible and I'm always getting the energy.
  4. Even if I miss more Trick Shots doing it this way (you have to predict and commit to your prediction, which can go wrong) whenever I guess correctly I'm generating a lot of energy. And if I miss, I'm losing a point but I'm not wasting any energy at all, so with 1 or 2 correct guesses I can have enough energy to make a comeback. Also, a perfect Trick Shot is enough to change the momentum of a point and help me start getting Star Shots and getting into the offensive, generating more energy and using it to attack instead of wasting what little I get on defense.
The reward you get by getting 1 Trick Shot right very soon outweights the penalty of missing 2 or 3, so it pays off to fully commit on prediction Trick Shots. With this technique I was able to finally generate more energy than my opponent for the first time. I was also able to come back from a situation where the opponent had much more energy and was bullying me and win the match, where before I would've just been steamrolled.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I figured it out, so I think I'd share in case any one else still wants to play this:
  1. In order to generate energy with Trick Shots you need to predict the opponents shot. If you try to react to an opponents shot, you'll end up spending energy instead.
  2. Use the right stick for Trick Shots, double tapping X is much slower and will mess up your timing.
  3. Even if you predict the shot correctly, if you input the Trick Shot command a bit late you won't get the energy. This was happening to me a lot, so, instead of tilting the stick when the opponent hits the ball, I've started to hold it down before the opponent event hits the ball and until the Trick Shot comes out. This way I know for sure that the Trick Shot will come out as soon as possible and I'm always getting the energy.
  4. Even if I miss more Trick Shots doing it this way (you have to predict and commit to your prediction, which can go wrong) whenever I guess correctly I'm generating a lot of energy. And if I miss, I'm losing a point but I'm not wasting any energy at all, so with 1 or 2 correct guesses I can have enough energy to make a comeback. Also, a perfect Trick Shot is enough to change the momentum of a point and help me start getting Star Shots and getting into the offensive, generating more energy and using it to attack instead of wasting what little I get on defense.
The reward you get by getting 1 Trick Shot right very soon outweights the penalty of missing 2 or 3, so it pays off to fully commit on prediction Trick Shots. With this technique I was able to finally generate more energy than my opponent for the first time. I was also able to come back from a situation where the opponent had much more energy and was bullying me and win the match, where before I would've just been steamrolled.
Thanks for sharing this!

I need to play this again, I miss the smack sounds when you hit the ball. Feels so good :D

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
It's been a while since I've played seriously, but you don't have to predict. You have time to react. The timing is just quite tight -- you can't be too early or too late. Will be harder vs power types since they hit it so fast. Tricky types are on the opposite end of the spectrum since they hit so slow.