• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Full details on Update 3.1.0 for Mario Tennis Aces have been revealed through Japanese patch notes, and we now know about most (if not all) of the final new content being added to the game. The last pieces of content will drop in August.

First, following the release of 3.1.0 on May 31st/June 1st (depending on the timezone) the Co-Op Challenge mode 'Shy Guy Train Tussle' will now be playable offline, with cooperative and versus options.

Online Tournament Characters (available a month later for those without NSO):
  • June: Fire Piranha Plant (Technical)
img-visual_fire_packun.png

• July: Dry Bowser (Defensive)
img-visual_hone_koopa.png

Online Tournament Costumes:
  • June: Bowser Tennis Outfit
864b227a94a417634881f0134cd3fd20.jpg

• July: Wario Overall Outfit / Waluigi Overall Outfit
RnrGSbH.jpg

• August: Alternate Colors for Koopa Troopa and Paratroopa (likely Red, Blue and Yellow for the former; and Green, Blue and Yellow for the latter)
X4ddSCG.jpg

Following August, all previous costumes given out as online tournament rewards will be rerun (in rotation) to allow for people who missed out to get them.

The three online Co-Op Challenges (Boo Hunt, Shy Guy Train Tussle and Yoshi's Ring Shot) and their rewards will also be rerun on a monthly rotation, starting with Boo Hunt in June (featuring the original rewards for it's first run in September/October 2018).

Last edited:

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I wonder if August will have a character. The character select screen has room for exactly one addition character, which would be August' character, and August also has new costumes, but I think it's implied Dry Bowser is the last one?

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't checked any updates. Can you finally do more than one set during local multiplayer? That always annoyed me.

Trrzs

Oct 29, 2017
I was expecting an unusual new character like Pauline, Cappy maybe? But I will take the plant and Dry Bowser, with him every character from Ultra Smash is back except the Sprixie Princess. Let's see if they have something else for the August Tournament.

JamesQuall

Oct 27, 2017
A modern Mario Golf with RPG elements is my dream Switch game. I also really enjoyed Mario Tennis.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
The last co-op event before they rerun them is the Boo one, which means I guess the other Shy Guy costumes shown off in the trailer wayyyy back last year are never coming?

Tamazoid

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still kind of bitter that this received significant post-launch support whereas Mario Party, which could have done with some, received nothing.

Also, I agree that modern Camelot's sports games are better than their RPGs. Dark Dawn showed that they've lost the RPG magic they had in the 90s. I personally view the two GBA Golden Suns as their RPG-making swansong.

Paper Wario

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Despite its shortcomings I have thoroughly enjoyed Aces. Recently some friends and I have been playing simple mode doubles online against each other and this is where the game truly shines in my eyes. Crossing my fingers for Strikers or Golf at e3.

Oct 27, 2017
I've really enjoyed this game overall. The post launch support has been fantastic and it's been a ton of fun to play.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Is it worth it to get Mario Tennis if I wont play online?
Do you plan to play any local?

Because I'd say probably no. Ring Shot wont take very long to finish and I doubt the shy guy challenge will either and the story mode also isn't very long. Though it is enjoyable.
There's offline tournaments but they're not very interesting nor do they really reward you.

Sadly for all the updates, characters and quality of life changes the game is still poor in terms of like...rewards, as a concept, off line.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Do you plan to play any local?

Because I'd say probably no. Ring Shot wont take very long to finish and I doubt the shy guy challenge will either and the story mode also isn't very long. Though it is enjoyable.
There's offline tournaments but they're not very interesting nor do they really reward you.

Sadly for all the updates, characters and quality of life changes the game is still poor in terms of like...rewards, as a concept, off line.

Nope, no local.

I assume the AI isn't very difficult or fun?

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, no local.

I assume the AI isn't very difficult or fun?
Ehh it's okay. The Star Cup AI can get into some real nasty back & forths, for example. And I think the CPU AI can go up to "Ace" in the options, but I've never experiemented with that.

note that I've not messed with AI matches outside of tournaments, so I don't know how fulfilling and fun that would be if it's your main avenue.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is an August character for sure coming?

Watch it be Camelot trying to get King K. Rool in. lol

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Is an August character for sure coming?

Watch it be Camelot trying to get King K. Rool in. lol
The notes don't seem to make it clear if August gets a character or not. August has new costumes for its tournament, and there's one slot left on the character select screen, though

Maybe it's going to be some kind of surprise, although it's possible Dry Bowser is the end

tomd96

Jul 6, 2018
Given the big price difference, does anyone think Ultra Smash is worth getting instead of Aces just for a bit of local multiplayer? Ultra Smash is available new for ÂŁ9, while Aces is closer to ÂŁ40. I wouldn't play online and the single player seems a let down in both games. I still have the Wii U hooked up anyway...

OP
OP
MondoMega

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Given the big price difference, does anyone think Ultra Smash is worth getting instead of Aces just for a bit of local multiplayer? Ultra Smash is available new for ÂŁ9, while Aces is closer to ÂŁ40. I wouldn't play online and the single player seems a let down in both games. I still have the Wii U hooked up anyway...
Gameplay wise, Aces is much more in-depth and refined. Ultra Smash is a bare bones Mario Tennis game in every sense, but if you only want it for a "bit" of multiplayer fun, the price isn't that bad.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Following August, all previous costumes will be rerun to allow for people who missed out to get them. The three online mini games will start being rerun from June onwards.

On rotation, or just for one go?
Else I may have to get Mario Tennis earlier than I intended just so I don't miss out on the cute Boo hats and stuff.

OP
OP
MondoMega

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
On rotation, or just for one go?
Else I may have to get Mario Tennis earlier than I intended just so I don't miss out on the cute Boo hats and stuff.
On rotation, based on a rough translation of the Japanese patch notes. People will have chances to get all of the online alt costumes. Those costumes are:

From Tournaments:
  • Overall Mario
  • Overall Luigi
  • Overall Wario
  • Overall Waluigi
  • Tennis Gear Toad
  • Tennis Gear Toadette
  • Tennis Gear Bowser
  • Tennis Gear Chain Chomp (x3)
  • Tennis Gear Spike (x3)
  • Alternate Color Koopa Troopa (unknown amount)
  • Alternate Color Paratroopa (unknown amount)
From Special Games:
  • Tennis Gear Boo (x6)
  • Alternate Color Yoshi (x6)
  • Alternate Color Shy Guy (x3)

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
On rotation, based on a rough translation of the Japanese patch notes. People will have chances to get all of the online alt costumes. Those costumes are:

From Tournaments:
  • Overall Mario
  • Overall Luigi
  • Overall Wario
  • Overall Waluigi
  • Tennis Gear Toad
  • Tennis Gear Toadette
  • Tennis Gear Bowser
  • Tennis Gear Chain Chomp (x3)
  • Tennis Gear Spike (x3)
  • Alternate Color Koopa Troopa (unknown amount)
  • Alternate Color Paratroopa (unknown amount)
From Special Games:
  • Tennis Gear Boo (x6)
  • Alternate Color Yoshi (x6)
  • Alternate Color Shy Guy (x3)

Okay, that's a relief. I don't wanna miss out on content - even if it's just costumes - because I didn't get the game in time.
I also got Overall Mario and a few of the Yoshis already thankfully due to the demo heh.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Cool, that means they can start working on Golden Sun 4 sooner.

:(

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Great game, but it really seemed that Camelot was rushed to get this out. Costumes should've been single player unlocks, and modes like Ring Shot should've been in at launch. Game could've used a Smash-like challenge board to keep players interested.

The DLC characters are fun picks and the concept op modes are actually fun, but it doesn't fix then game's content problem.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Great game, but it really seemed that Camelot was rushed to get this out. Costumes should've been single player unlocks, and modes like Ring Shot should've been in at launch. Game could've used a Smash-like challenge board to keep players interested.

The DLC characters are fun picks and the concept op modes are actually fun, but it doesn't fix then game's content problem.
Yeah I was pretty disappointed that content is done but STILL all the costumes are online stuff, forever.

I was really, really hoping that they would, at the very least:
-add 3 more cups, featuring all the dlc characters in them
-maybe a proper trophy ceremony (generic if nothing else)
-some costume or color for everyone to unlock for clearing all 6
-add a trophy room!

it's grindy content but at least it'd be something.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
Camelot stuggle to add light RPG elements to their sports games 20 years after they set the bar yet people still believe they have it in them to make a great JRPG.

Hopefully the next Mario Golf game is full of content and comes with no caveats but I won't hold my breath.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Camelot stuggle to add light RPG elements to their sports games 20 years after they set the bar yet people still believe they have it in them to make a great JRPG.
I think the problem is that Camelot needs more resources/staff. Their track record post GBA is spotty at best, with Dark Dawn being their highest rated title. I'm not sure if the issue is because they are stuck as just a contract studio or what, but the 50 or so staff they have isn't going to cut it.

Having said that Aces is obviously the biggest success story they've had from a sales perspective in a very long time(if not their biggest success already), so maybe they will expand now.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Been meaning to go back to this. It's insane how much they ended up adding "for free". I expected them to abandon it way sooner.