• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
This song gets so much love yet people sleep on Japanese Prince himself Toshiki Kadomatsu

Step Into the Light is legit one of the greatest songs I have ever heard.

Balma

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny how the viral video has now been copyright claimed on behalf of Pearl for a completely irrelevant song called Fake Plastic Love.

Fuck Live Nation and fuck Youtube.

DarkCronos

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Perugia, Italy
I hope Tokyo Fantasy from Alessandra Mussolini is next

Yep, in the 80's, Benito Mussolini's granddaughter, before starting her own political career in Italy, made a city pop album, singing in japanese. Reality is weirder than fiction.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
How you gonna cut an 8 minute song to like a 1 minute 30? Like its not even enjoyable at that length. Japans music industry is something else. Maybe release your shit world wide to start?

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Are they going to release a long version?

Otherwise isn't plastic love if it doesn't waste/enhance 7 minutes of your life

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

a5424852abc98df69ebd4b4e366e1b6f.gif

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
You can't just release a Short Version! Ooh, the YouTube Algorithm is not going to be happy when they hear about this.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
As a fan of City pop, this brings warmth to my heart.

Get some Miki Matsubara , Junko Ohashi and Tomoko Aran love in here.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
Why does the YT algo love this song so much. I see it so often but have not checked it out yet.

Vipershark

Oct 28, 2017
Am I the only one who watches City Pop videos in an incognito window so the algorithm doesn't flood my account with recommendations

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Seems to be a trend of YouTube algorithms breathing new life into vintage Japanese music. Ryo Fukui got me through lots of research and writing.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
My friend informed me that the 'short version' is actually the original version that appears on the album. After listening to the long version for well over a year I now prefer the short version as it sounds like how the song would have been originally composed.

Junko Ohashi is the best! If only I could get her Magical album on CD (I think it only ever released on vinyl and they go for £300+ now).

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Weird bump but talked to my wife about the City Pop kick I've been on and mentioned Plastic Love. She didn't know the song but knew Mariya Takeuchi because she is apparently the voice of Christmas (and fried chicken) to a lot of people in Japan.

Song's apparently called Suteki na holiday.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite tracks of all time.

This is as good of a chance as any other to introduce some other artists I found that I appreciate:

Cindy has a few great tracks that stand out, these are two of my favorites:

Hiromi Iwasaki has a lot of romantic tracks

(Posting a part 2)

Last edited:

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mai Yamane is another one of the great artists in the genre though her music tends to be a bit more on the dramatic side:

If her voice sounds familiar to you, it's because she voiced for the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack and made a few tracks including one of my favorites:

That's all for now, don't want to flood the thread with recommendations that most people probably won't appreciate :P

Applebite

Oct 27, 2017
Tried to get into Citypop after this went viral but it's mostly pretty wack imo, love this song tho
I hate this term. As far as I can tell it was just something someone on 4chan came up with to describe 80s pop from Japan. It feels weird to me to ascribe a subgenre to something that is, well, just Jpop from the 80s. I've never seen anyone actually able to trace it back to anything credible.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Mai Yamane is another one of the great artists in the genre though her music tends to be a bit more on the dramatic side:

If her voice sounds familiar to you, it's because she voiced for the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack and made a few tracks including one of my favorites:

That's all for now, don't want to flood the thread with recommendations that most people probably won't appreciate :P

I saw her live with the Seatbelts in Paris in 2003. The Real Folk Blues, Blue, and Rain made everyone cry lol
Best concert memory for me

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I would have loved to have been in the WB Japan offices when they learnt that YouTube algorithms. Gave them a mini viral hit in the West for an old 80's song lmao.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

Keep those recommendations coming please! My citypop playlist need a few more tracks.

I saw her live with the Seatbelts in Paris in 2003. The Real Folk Blues, Blue, and Rain made everyone cry lol
Best concert memory for me
That sounds like a really special moment imo, I envy you. lol