• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Last edited:

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I trust WD so its nice to get the Cerny approval but GODDAMN thats the price of another PS5 lol
I think I'm good with cold storage, switching is not a bother to be honest.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl

I believe that's the below linked version (2TB w/heatsink is $$$). Probably the best of the best in benchmarks:

Amazon.com: WD_Black 2TB SN850 NVMe Internal Gaming SSD Solid State Drive with Heatsink - Gen4 PCIe, M.2 2280, 3D NAND, Up to 7,000 MB/s - WDS200T1XHE: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: WD_Black 2TB SN850 NVMe Internal Gaming SSD Solid State Drive with Heatsink - Gen4 PCIe, M.2 2280, 3D NAND, Up to 7,000 MB/s - WDS200T1XHE: Computers & Accessories

But Cerny... We ain't got your $$$$. Not all of us thrive off of Knack residuals.

Oct 29, 2017
Western Digital shareholders
rWHlqO8.png

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017

I believe that's the below linked version (2TB w/heatsink is ~$578!). Probably the best of the best in benchmarks:

That's not sold by Amazon, it's another marketplace seller. 2tb with heatsink on WD's store is $429 right now.

tatwo

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
1tb sn850 costs 180€ without heatsink and with 280€. What if I just buy 3rd party heatsink for 10€?

Oct 29, 2017
I would check they are not trash since there are a lot of options (and some may be too tall), but if third party heatsinks are good enough to sit behind a hot GPU, they are good enough for an nvme is a separate compartment. You are not limited to the heatsink version only.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I trust WD so its nice to get the Cerny approval but GODDAMN thats the price of another PS5 lol
I think I'm good with cold storage, switching is not a bother to be honest.

I'm going to stick it out as long as I can like that and look for a good deal on a 500 when I really need it. Maybe 1 or 2 years? I'm not paying $200 to keep more games installed while I can manage them on the HDD I already have.

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Fairly noob on the nvme scene... Gonna bookmark the 1tb on amazon.ca...anyone know which heatsink is the best for it? Are they usually universal or do I need specific kind for an 850 and even down to different storage size? Tnx.

Deleted member 81269

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2020
£160 for 1TB on Amazon UK with no heatsink.
EDIT: Absolute LOL at there being a COD Black Ops Cold War branded one.

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
His and her SSDs? Yeah that would be a great idea if you didn't need to pull the console apart to change between each drive.
You'd be better off just having 2 consoles.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Not going to bother with expensive expansion drives. No need to hoard games I'll never play or play again. Cheaper to manage the fridge with the current system and wait for the slim refresh which will likely be 1.5-2TB

Oct 29, 2017
Fairly noob on the nvme scene... Gonna bookmark the 1tb on amazon.ca...anyone know which heatsink is the best for it? Are they usually universal or do I need specific kind for an 850 and even down to different storage size? Tnx.
Third party heatsinks you can get anything designed for m.2 2280 (which is likely everything out there), all these drives are the same size so the only thing to consider is if the drives has components that need to be cooled on one or both sides.
The more crucial specs is not getting something too big that wont fit in the compartment or that wont let you close it if it is too tall.

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Third party heatsinks you can get anything designed for m.2 2280 (which is likely everything out there), all these drives are the same size so the only thing to consider is if the drives has components that need to be cooled on one or both sides.
The more crucial specs is not getting something too big that wont fit in the compartment or that wont let you close it, if it is too tall.
OK thanks. I will just wait and see which sink people start to recommend once in a few months

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
Not going to bother with expensive expansion drives. No need to hoard games I'll never play or play again. Cheaper to manage the fridge with the current system and wait for the slim refresh which will likely be 1.5-2TB
Are we really expecting that size in a refresh? That seems optimistic. SSD size seems like a good place for Sony to skimp since it's one of the few components that owners can actually manually upgrade if they want to.

Fairxchange

Oct 30, 2017
Get a 2280 heatsink for around $15, maybe $20 for the low profile ones. Takes 5 mins to install.

Deleted member 2279

User-requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
[…]it's one of the few components that owners can actually manually upgrade if they want to.

you mean the only, right? (i don't have a PS5 but feel like i couldn't have missed the news that RAM or something was upgradable.)

and yeah that's a totally unrealistic expectation for the slim. maybe the pro a couple years later.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll stick to deleting and (re)downloading my games. But I will def stick an extra SSD in there when they come down in price / I win the lottery.