• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
No, and I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't put words in my mouth. I feel like my argument that Luke was out of character in TLJ is strong but I just don't feel like doing it again because this is the, approximately, 2479th Last Jedi thread in the history of ResetEra
I'm not putting words into your mouth.

You argument is not strong. The film justifies his change perfectly, you just didn't like it (and not liking it is perfectly ok).

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
believe me i have the best positions, the greatest positions, positions so good you wouldnt believe!

(sorry had to do it)

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not putting words into your mouth.

You argument is not strong. The film justifies his change perfectly, you just didn't like it (and not liking it is perfectly ok).
The film justifies it but not strongly in my opinion. Especially considering a huge part of the reasoning behind it relies on Luke rehashing part of an arc he already went through.

You saying "my argument is better" doesn't automatically make it better. AKA

believe me i have the best positions, the greatest positions, positions so good you wouldnt believe!

(sorry had to do it)

This

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
how influential will be luke on 9?

i guess mark is under strict NDA so we can really expect any tidbits from him

astro

Oct 25, 2017
You're kind of arguing a different point then what I am making.
No, I'm not.

You're arguing it was out of character, it wasn't. The film shows us his character growth and justifies it, so it's not out of character.

It's against your expectations of where you thought the character would go.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
No, I'm not.

You're arguing it was out of character, it wasn't. The film shows us his character growth and justifies it, so it's not out of character.

it's against your expectations of where you thought the character would go.
Just because the movie justifies it doesn't necessarily mean it was in character. These are not mutually exclusive things.

Again, I'd rather not get roped into this discussion for the millionth time.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Just because the movie justifies it doesn't necessarily mean it was in character. These are not mutually exclusive things.

Again, I'd rather not get roped into this discussion for the millionth time.
Yes it does... his character is whatever the creators decided, and as long as it's justified and makes sense it works.

You didn't like it, you wanted something else, that's fine. It doesn't mean it was poor character growth, or out of character.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Yes it does... his character is whatever the creators decided, and as long as it's justified and makes sense it works.

You didn't like it, you wanted something else, that's fine. It doesn't mean it was poor character growth, or out of character.
That's not how multi-movie character arcs work, or necessarily how character writing in general works. But whatever. Lets move on because we are clearly not going to agree here so I'd rather not derail the thread further.

Which is why I said I didn't want to go into this discussion again

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
vbn2f2A.gif

YonvKM.gif
That second gif never fails to make me laugh. So cringe.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i think astro is right if what happened to luke was like one week after ROTJ then yeah it would be out of character, but this is Luke 30 years later, Luke that has seen the galaxy shun away Leia because she was daughter of Darth Vader even when she was one of the more prominent figures in restating the republic.

idk.

if i was Luke i will conclude the galaxy is not worth saving being honestly.

but Luke is a better person than i, he though he was the problem, the jedi and their meddling was the problem, so he went away.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
That's not how multi-movie character arcs work, or necessarily how character writing in general works. But whatever. Lets move on because we are clearly not going to agree here so I'd rather not derail the thread further.

Which is why I said I didn't want to go into this discussion again
Yes it is.

Characters go in whatever direction the creators want, and as long as their growth is justified they're not out of character.

You not liking their direction does not making it out of character.

i think astro is right if what happened to luke was like one week after ROTJ then yeah it would be out of character, but this is Luke 30 years later, Luke that has seen the galaxy shun away Leia because she was daughter of Darth Vader even when she was one of the more prominent figures in restating the republic.

idk.

if i was Luke i will conclude the galaxy is not worth saving being honestly.

but Luke is a better person than i, he though he was the problem, the jedi and their meddling was the problem, so he went away.

Exactly.

Experience changed him, but in the end he understood.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Yes it is.

Characters go in whatever direction the creators want, and as long as their growth is justified they're not out of character.

you not liking their direction does not making it out of character.
Please stop quoting me. I shouldn't have to state "i dont want to talk about this again" 4 times in order for you to listen.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Please stop quoting me. I shouldn't have to state "i dont want to talk about this again" 4 times in order for you to listen.
This is a public forum... you don't get to dictate what people respond to or do not.

You can leave the thread any time if you want to stop talking, or just ignore my posts. You want to stop? Stop.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I bet Luke would end up just as bitter and apathetic as he was in The Last Jedi if he suffered through the thousands of pages of discussions we've had on here. It is a sick cycle, not much unlike the one in that galaxy with the Dark Side, where a new thread will find a way to create disorder and chaos.

source.gif

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I bet Luke would end up just as bitter and apathetic as he was in The Last Jedi if he suffered through the thousands of pages of discussions we've had on here. It is a sick cycle, not much unlike the one in that galaxy with the Dark Side, where a new thread will find a way to create disorder and chaos.

source.gif
It all makes sense now. Luke had a Force vision of the future..

And he saw TLJ threads on ERA

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Shame this isn't in any of the films

Now I don't miss the old EU even for second (so so much crap) but I really hate how the new canon has so much great stuff like Leia's legacy being tarnished because of her parentage and we don't get even a hint of it in the films themselves. It would go so much toward motivations and characterization.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Now I don't miss the old EU even for second (so so much crap) but I really hate how the new canon has so much great stuff like Leia's legacy being tarnished because of her parentage and we don't get even a hint of it in the films themselves. It would go so much toward motivations and characterization.

ah throwaway line by han on TFA would do wonders

"I don't know why you care so much about this galaxy, this republic... after they did to us"

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not a huge fan of it. Luke and Leia basically ended the war. It was because of them that the Rebellion was able to turn the table against the Empire and ultimately win. Heck, Luke personally went onto the Death Star II and indirectly killed the Emperor himself.

Why would their dad being Darth Vader matter at all? If they know Darth Vader was Anakin Skywalker, then they'd know he was a hero of the war that saved billions of lives. There's no way a hero like that would fall to the dark side unless he was manipulated by Palpatine, the same guy that manipulated the entire Galactic Senate into giving him the keys to the Republic. The guy played everyone and, unlike the Senate, at least Anakin did the right thing in the end and killed Palpatine with his own two hands.

Doesn't make any sense at all to hold who their dad was against Leia or Luke.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Every time I see this thread bumped, I think Mark Hamill is Once Again, today, unhappy with how The Last Jedi turned out. As if he is tweeting or doing a new interview every few days to remind us.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not a huge fan of it. Luke and Leia basically ended the war. It was because of them that the Rebellion was able to turn the table against the Empire and ultimately win. Heck, Luke personally went onto the Death Star II and indirectly killed the Emperor himself.

Why would their dad being Darth Vader matter at all? If they know Darth Vader was Anakin Skywalker, then they'd know he was a hero of the war that saved billions of lives. There's no way a hero like that would fall to the dark side unless he was manipulated by Palpatine, the same guy that manipulated the entire Galactic Senate into giving him the keys to the Republic. The guy played everyone and, unlike the Senate, at least Anakin did the right thing in the end and killed Palpatine with his own two hands.

if you had to chose between someone neutral and hitler's daughter to lead the UN, who would you pick?

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

You are giving WAY too much credit to the prejudices and irrationality of the common people. They wouldn't care that Vader was redeemed at the end. They wouldn't care if he was just a pawn of Sheev. Vader is a mass murderer and responsible for God only knows how many atrocities. There quite possibly is not a single person in the galaxy that Vader and Sheev did not impact in a negative way.

And it turns out Leia, the prominent politician, is his DAUGHTER?

Imagine if it turned out Hitler had a son and daughter we never heard about. Would it matter at all to many, hell most people, if there were practically saints that give millions to charity and sang to sick children every night? Nope.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if you had to chose between someone neutral and hitler's daughter to lead the UN, who would you pick?

There's no point trying to relate it to real life people. It's called fantasy for a reason.

Besides, a more accurate analogy would be Himmler's daughter if she had been fighting against her father and the Nazi Party for years and was instrumental in its downfall while her brother and father were responsible for Hitler's death.

Someone like that choosing to run for a political position would not have been ostracised like Leia was. If anything she'd be a hero for standing against her father and the horrible things he did and allowed to happen.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's no point trying to relate it to real life people. It's called fantasy for a reason.

Besides, a more accurate analogy would be Himmler's daughter if she had been fighting against her father and the Nazi Party for years and was instrumental in its downfall while her brother and father were responsible for Hitler's death.

Someone like that choosing to run for a political position would not have been ostracised like Leia was. If anything she'd be a hero for standing against her father and the horrible things he did and allowed to happen.

Again, you give people FAR too much credit. Their own political party/allies would force them to resign/drop out of the race. And that's BEFORE their political opponents would get in on the fun. The attack ads basically write themselves.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Again, you give people FAR too much credit. Their own political party/allies would force them to resign/drop out of the race. And that's BEFORE their political opponents would get in on the fun. The attack ads basically write themselves.
Yup, and another big factor to consider is people didn't know that she was Vader's daughter at the time (considering they only found out by RotJ themselves).

In the EU it was later when the rest of the public found out (from what I recall at least). For a political figure it literally does basically just present a giant target on your head.

I still remember here in Aus one woman was politically attacked for playing WoW when she started running for a government position. Her opposition literally ran front page ads trying to make her seem addicted and unfit to serve.

Deleted member 11039

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You don't want to argue because you know you don't have a strong position.

The film shows us explicitly what caused his character change, and it is perfectly reasonable. It wasn't just "people change", and that's a dishonest representation.

You wanted something else? Cool. That doesn't make the character change unbelievable or not in keeping with his younger self, that's just plain wrong.

No the film doesn't show us explicitly what caused his character change. It tells us. It tells us that Luke saw something so horrible in Ben's thoughts that he briefly considered murdering his nephew in his sleep. It didn't show us. And it's really hard to swallow that an aged Luke Skywalker, who was face to face with Vader/Emperor/etc, would be that thrown by a vision of the future (that he knows is always in motion) to kill a kid in his sleep. It's dumb and unearned. It's tell not show. It's bad.

Your argument is not strong.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
No the film doesn't show us explicitly what caused his character change. It tells us. It tells us that Luke saw something so horrible in Ben's thoughts that he briefly considered murdering his nephew in his sleep. It didn't show us. And it's really hard to swallow that an aged Luke Skywalker, who was face to face with Vader/Emperor/etc, would be that thrown by a vision of the future (that he knows is always in motion) to kill a kid in his sleep. It's dumb and unearned. It's tell not show. It's bad.

It showed and told us. My argument is perfectly supported. He didn't try to kill a kid, he had a knee-jerk reaction to a powerful force premonition and immediately controlled it. People like you who can't stand not having their expectations met and dishonestly representing what we see on screen are always fun in threads like these.

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018

He didn't go in to kill a kid or anything like that. His intent wasn't such, he only reacted for a fraction of a second because of how dark what he saw was. He flicked the switch in a moment of pure impulse before being hit with immediate regret. Had Ben not woken up in the worst possible moment, things could have been different, but life's like that sometimes.

Luke was in an entirely different place back during the events of the trilogy. Back then, it seemed like life could only get better from a run down Rebellion in a dominated galaxy to something more. But now Luke's older, and their happily ever after is showing signs of cracking. The Pendulum is starting to swing the other way, and Luke sees what could destroy everything he spent years of his life fighting for...and has that one human moment of weakness, to take the simple route. He regrets it, because he knows that's not who he normally is, but that moment costs him hard, costs him everything he's built. That vision of the future becomes self-fulfilling. All that hope, optimism, hard work, it's all shattered in a moment of weakness.

It's not bad in the least, it's one of the best moments in Star Wars. It lets Luke be more than the perfect hero to render the new characters pointless. It lets Luke be an actual character, with flaws and all, but also growth, and the means to better the galaxy in a way that better fits the Jedi than some sort of Force God to solo the First Order.

Deleted member 11039

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It showed and told us. My argument is perfectly supported. He didn't try to kill a kid, he had a knee-jerk reaction to a powerful force premonition and immediately controlled it. People like you who can't stand not having their expectations met and dishonestly representing what we see on screen are always fun in threads like these.

TLJ telling and not showing has nothing to do with my expectations not being met. That's your weak attempt at painting broadly and argument dismissal.

But if I'm wrong, please provide the time mark in TLJ that shows the heinous vision Luke saw that is the catalyst for his spiral into depression and self exile and arguably the most important story beat in the film.

He didn't go in to kill a kid or anything like that. His intent wasn't such, he only reacted for a fraction of a second because of how dark what he saw was. He flicked the switch in a moment of pure impulse before being hit with immediate regret. Had Ben not woken up in the worst possible moment, things could have been different, but life's like that sometimes.

Luke was in an entirely different place back during the events of the trilogy. Back then, it seemed like life could only get better from a run down Rebellion in a dominated galaxy to something more. But now Luke's older, and their happily ever after is showing signs of cracking. The Pendulum is starting to swing the other way, and Luke sees what could destroy everything he spent years of his life fighting for...and has that one human moment of weakness, to take the simple route. He regrets it, because he knows that's not who he normally is, but that moment costs him hard, costs him everything he's built. That vision of the future becomes self-fulfilling. All that hope, optimism, hard work, it's all shattered in a moment of weakness.

It's not bad in the least, it's one of the best moments in Star Wars. It lets Luke be more than the perfect hero to render the new characters pointless. It lets Luke be an actual character, with flaws and all, but also growth, and the means to better the galaxy in a way that better fits the Jedi than some sort of Force God to solo the First Order.

This is a great example of tell and not show. The film tells you it was the briefest moments of instinct, but go back and watch the film. What's on screen is quite slow and deliberate in comparison to the words in Luke's monologue. Hate creeps across his face. He slowly pulls his saber, etc.

And I never said Luke went in to kill his nephew. But he did, for a moment, consider killing his nephew in his sleep based on nothing more than a vision and feelings of darkness. Both of which we and Luke know aren't set in stone. That's not just a "human moment of weakness." That's egregious and indefensible. So in that regard his punishment matches the crime, but the problem is making it believable that Luke would do that in the first place. And the film basically asks us to take its word for it. "Trust us, what he saw was really bad!"

And all of this about Luke seeing cracks in their happily ever after again are examples of things not shown.

Last edited:

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
But if I'm wrong, please provide the time mark in TLJ that shows the heinous vision Luke saw that is the catalyst for his spiral into depression and self exile and arguably the most important story beat in the film.
?Are you implying that it was the vision that caused his depression?

I mean it shows us Luke's reaction to what he sees.

And it's really hard to swallow that an aged Luke Skywalker, who was face to face with Vader/Emperor/etc, would be that thrown by a vision of the future (that he knows is always in motion) to kill a kid in his sleep.
We're talking about the same Luke right? The one that saw a vision of his friends in danger and immediately dropped his training and nearly got himself killed?

The same one that flew into a literal mad rage when Leia was verbally threatened?

It seems to make perfect sense to me that someone that protective would have a natural instinct to stop a threat from hurting Leia and Han in such a situation.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's the catalyst. It's incredibly important and yet its not actually on screen. You're just supposed to take their word that it was really really bad.
Ok? We still see Luke's reaction to it (as mentioned above), and considering his past characterization it still makes perfect sense. Also, Luke does explain what the vision was, it wasn't just "it was bad".

Deleted member 11039

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok? We still see Luke's reaction to it (as mentioned above), and considering his past characterization it still makes perfect sense. Also, Luke does explain what the vision was, it wasn't just "it was bad".

So tell not show.

Obviously we all have different bars for what is believable. The writers try to tell us it was beyond Luke's imagination and what Ben would become would bring the end to everything, yada yada. That's a lot for the writers to ask of me who's seen Luke take on the Empire and turn Vader and what not. And who's seen Kylo, who is more of a tantrum throwing twat than anything approaching the evil of the Emperor. So that monologue rings hallow and more the words of a writer and not of Luke Skywalker to me.

Jan 3, 2018
You don't want to argue because you know you don't have a strong position.

The film shows us explicitly what caused his character change, and it is perfectly reasonable. It wasn't just "people change", and that's a dishonest representation.

You wanted something else? Cool. That doesn't make the character change unbelievable or not in keeping with his younger self, that's just plain wrong.

It perfectly justifies it. Again, you just didn't like it and that's fine.

No, I'm not.

It's against your expectations of where you thought the character would go.

Do you think judging something as reasonable or justified is objective or something? Some people didn't see Luke's transformation as justified, based on who they saw in the OT. Maybe you should lay off.

And no the film did not show us explicitly what caused his character change. What's the change that occurred to make him into a person who would even consider taking a light saber to his own nephew's room in the middle of the night based on a vision?

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We still see Luke's reaction to it
Key word being "see there.

That's a lot for the writers to ask of me who's seen Luke take on the Empire and turn Vader and what not.
Yeah that Luke! The raging one!

So that monologue rings hallow and more the words of a writer and not of Luke Skywalker to me.
Ok? You still haven't addressed my points though?
What's the change that occurred to make him into a person who would even consider taking a light saber to his own nephew's room in the middle of the night based on a vision?
I imagine ESB and RotJ where he very clearly has trouble with being impulsive and easily enraged if people he cares about (such as Leia) are threatened in any way including verbally.

Jan 3, 2018
I imagine ESB and RotJ where he very clearly has trouble with being impulsive and easily enraged if people he cares about (such as Leia) are threatened in any way including verbally.

Luke got enraged at an evil man for threatening his sister. When he considers killing his nephew long enough to almost carry out the action, he has already become an evil man.