• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"I got myself into trouble…My problem was, I wasn't dealing with social media back then, where you say something and it goes around the world in 24 hours! If I were to answer your questions on paper, I'd think: oh, that sounds a little strong, or, I shouldn't say this. But I have a tendency just to talk and talk and talk, and you can cherrypick. You know, I'll be reading something, and say, 'What moron said this?', and then realize, 'Oh, it's me.' They can take selective comments you've made out of context and use it to support their argument: 'See, Mark hated Star Wars!' 'Did I?'"

"I just thought, Luke's never going to see his best friend again," Hamill said. "I said that it was a big mistake that those three people would never reunite in any way. Luke, Han and Leia will never be together again, and I'll probably never get to work with Harrison again. Then the second thing was that they killed me off. I thought: oh, okay, you should push my death off to the last one. That's what I was hoping when I came back: no cameos and a run-of-the-trilogy contract. Did I get any of those things? Because as far as I'm concerned, the end of VII is really the beginning of VIII. I got one movie! They totally hornswoggled me."

Hamill also singles out a specific scene from The Last Jedi that he insisted director Rian Johnson change. "They had me walking by 3PO, not even acknowledging him. I said: 'I can't do that! [Rian Johnson] said, 'Okay, go over and do whatever.' So I went over, and I did whatever."

He also thinks the films have been released too quickly.
Disney CEO Bob Iger told The Hollywood Reporter last year that the schedule for Star Wars releases had been too densely packed, a view Hamill shares. 'In our day, it was three years apart. Now they're two years apart, with an independent movie (Rogue One, Solo) in between. I say to the executives at Disney, "Really? Han Solo five months after our movie? Give it a rest!" They say, well, we have to keep the schedule clear for Mary Poppins.' He feigns outrage. 'But I can be mouthy, because you know, what are they gonna do, fire me?'
https://www.slashfilm.com/mark-hamill-star-wars-sequels/
https://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/mar...r-for-a-medieval-sword-in-knightfall-season-2

Last edited:

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
"I wasn't saying that we are better than Jesus...I was just saying we're bigger, and more popular, and more relevant than Jesus"

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean I can understand from his POV when he was getting ready for this trilogy he probably thought his character would get to work with Han and Leia again and get to do more "Luke stuff".

It didn't really work out that way, though mainly I think that's JJ's fault.

That doesn't mean the films are "bad", but from a Luke POV yeah it's probably not how he thought the story would go.

Agreed with Disney releasing way too many movies too quickly. Star Wars is not as broad of a universe as Marvel, you can't pump out movies in the same way. It's a single-genre universe.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate the shitty YouTube channels that get off on cherry picking interviews, but uh

No lies detected

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's not wrong that he should've gone to C3PO. It's actually insane that rian wasn't gonna do anything withthat. C3PO is his bro!

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's fair to have wanted a reunion between Han and Luke. But I don't think it's fair to have wanted to be alive in Episode 9 - as many have said before, Luke absolutely steals the show. No one would give a fuck about the new characters.

Also I'm readying myself for the horde of people to start taking this as proof that Mark hated TLJ

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
"They can take selective comments you've made out of context and use it to support their argument: 'See, Mark hated Star Wars!' 'Did I?'""

"Mark Hamill Once Again Expresses Unhappiness With New 'Star Wars' Sequels"

isthisthejoke.jpeg?

Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

Garou

Oct 25, 2017
On one hand I can understand why he is not happy, this role is one of the defining things of his life, so of course he would have been open for something better/more.
On the other hand, building the whole new trilogy around him would be a mistake, the new characters wouldn't have had a chance to breathe if they classic 3 were the focal point all the time.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I agree with him that it's sad that there was never a scene wherein Luke, Han, and Leia were reunited. Damn shame. I'm also glad he pushed to have Luke acknowledge C3PO.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I don't disagree with anything that's in the OP? It would have been amazing if Han, Leia, and Luke all reunited, even for a second. Han didn't even get to see Luke again. The 3PO thing I agree with, and I also agree that there were too many movies.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I say to the executives at Disney, "Really? Han Solo five months after our movie? Give it a rest!" They say, well, we have to keep the schedule clear for Mary Poppins.' He feigns outrage.

mark gets it

still blown away that they deviated from a release schedule that yielded them 3 straight billion dollar movies. it's mind blowing.

mary poppins didn't even gross as much as solo! and solo was a fucking bomb!

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
There's a few things in the movie that were the actor's idea, off the top of my head:

Hux trying to kill Kylo when he was passed out was Donald's idea and so was DJ saying "maybe".

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I mean I understand it because to be fair the direction the series has been in the past is taking it into a completely path of self destruction.

Like Solo was the first Star Wars movie to be out of the top10 highest grossing movies of the year!

Which OBVIOUSLY means no more new star wars with white man in the main role

Deleted member 11039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think he's wrong, but imagine how Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford felt. Leia took a nap half of TLJ and Han just went through the motions and got gutted and discarded in TFA. (I know Ford doesn't care).

At least with Luke, RJ tried... something. I didn't really like it though.

Still the point stands. If this is all you can come up with for these iconic characters (R2D2 and 3P0 are just background props) then just don't use them.

Oct 25, 2017
Couple of things that jump out.

I should also point out I am a card-carrying 'not-a' Star Wars fan.

If anybody is entitled to express any less than glowing opinions about these movies without fear of it somehow being used against someone else,, shouldn't it be Hamill?

Does the most ardent and fevered Star Wars fan out there really want to go down this road? Shades of the way Sir Alec started chastising people for their love and affection for the original movie.

The other thing is, there's the usual :don't just pick and choose quotes from the site that's reporting it" thing to remember however, as a huge Slash-Film fan they are quite close-knit with a lot of people directly involved with nu-Star Wars. For one, Johnson's a director that has been featured on the site/podcast for years, during his 'young and new' days to what you could probably term 'A-list' nowwadays.

I'm less likely to read something Star-Wars-related on this site and think 'wow what a scoop this is going to rock Hollywood'.

'Okay, go over and do whatever' is probably going to be mis-construed to hell and back but again, I'm looking from the outside in at a fandom I don't pretend to be apart of or understand (okay maybe a little).

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they wanted him to walk past c3po to show that he can't remember ever owning a droid?

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It is pretty crazy that the original three never had a scene together. But, I liked the way Han went out, and don't think more Luke was needed in Force Awakens. Certainly not him running in with his saber and saving the day at the end like he imagined.

Just don't give us the three of them as force ghosts smiling at a Jedi Ben Solo at the end of 9.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
It's interesting how Mark Hamill having thoughts on alternative story beats and release dates becomes a pattern and narrative where "ONCE AGAIN MARK HAMILL BASHES THE SEQUELS."

Hmmmm...

The sequels are great films, not perfect ones. Even if Hamill outright said "I hate these movies," that wouldn't actually mean they're poorly written. It would just let fanboys who reject the new films feel more of a kinship with an actor they idolize.

Last edited:

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
For some context, Mark was also unhappy that Luke didn't turn to the dark side in Return of the Jedi like he expected because Luke was wearing black.

R2 playing the message of Leia to Luke, Luke opening himself up to the Force, Luke visited by Yoda, and Luke's final conversation with Leia were all amazing moments.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I really like Mark and I understand his points, but Luke already had a trilogy. Plus this new one came way too late and the OT actors are unfortunately old. So the focus must be on the new characters.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Ehh, the original three being back together on screen wouldn't have really worked for anything more than fan service.

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's right. They had no respect for the original trilogy or characters.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
That's the same things he said before. The C3PO wink story he even told in the Blu Ray documentary and before. Nothing about this means he's "unhappy", just the same differences since before.

And he's not wrong the movies were suddenly too quickly release (Solo).

But I do disagree with his insistence that all three of them should've been back together:

1) That would've distracted from the stories of the new characters.
2) It's stupid to blame JJ, Rian, Disney, for them not being together because if it weren't for Disney themselves, there would never have been that possibility in the first place. We weren't supposed to get a sequel trilogy until Disney decided it wanted more.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
For some context, Mark was also unhappy that Luke didn't turn to the dark side in Return of the Jedi like he expected because Luke was wearing black.
One of the cool things about Mark is that he doesn't seem to have an inflated sense of his self worth. He talked about how when he was reading TFA's script for the first time, that at the end, he thought it was gonna be Luke who caught the Lightsaber and he'd save the day. He admits how this would've been dumb for Luke to just randomly show up and take over the film, though.

Also, since the talk of suggestions for TLJ came up, he also suggested to Rian that Luke should use a Force power and become a giant at the end of the film. He poked fun at himself for thinking that one was good at the time.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
He's doing it in a lighthearted way, it's not a big deal, he wanted some things that didn't come to pass, he jokes about it, it's cool.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ehh, the original three being back together on screen wouldn't have really worked for anything more than fan service.

Having the original three even in this trilogy was pure fanservice. They weren't needed, it overwrote the happy ending of RotJ, and it make both VII and VIII uneven as the new characters struggle to stay in the spotlight compared to them.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I love Mark and love his performance in TLJ.

I also don't agree with any of his ideas. That's why he's not writing these movies.

The sequels aren't about Han and Luke and Leia. They are about Rey, Finn, Poe, and Kylo. I'm actually surprised how much restraint the ST has had in not relying too heavily on the original trio

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I love Mark and love his performance in TLJ.

I also don't agree with any of his ideas. That's why he's not writing these movies.

The sequels aren't about Han and Luke and Leia. They are about Rey, Finn, Poe, and Kylo. I'm actually surprised how much restraint the ST has had in not relying too heavily on the original trio

LOL no. TLJ was Luke's movie through and through. He gets the only meaningful character development, and the climax all centers around him.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's the same things he said before. The C3PO wink story he even told in the Blu Ray documentary and before. Nothing about this means he's "unhappy", just the same differences since before.

And he's not wrong the movies were suddenly too quickly release (Solo).

But I do disagree with his insistence that all three of them should've been back together:

1) That would've distracted from the stories of the new characters.
2) It's stupid to blame JJ, Rian, Disney, for them not being together because if it weren't for Disney themselves, there would never have been that possibility in the first place. We weren't supposed to get a sequel trilogy until Disney decided it wanted more.

Lucas was developing the sequel trilogy before the Disney sale and no question, any studio in Hollywood would've happily financed it.

Granted it probably also would've sucked, lol.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
It's understandable that he wanted a real reunion with Ford and Fisher and to relive the old days. But that's not this story. Luke is just a supporting character now and was treated no better or worse than Han Solo was in TFA.

He gave a great performance in TLJ despite his difference of opinion and I hope he will repeat that in the next movie.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
He's not wrong. Han, Leia and Luke should ahve been on screen together at some point. This new trilogy was rushed and wasted potential as far as the eye can see. Han had to die because Harrison wouldn't do the movie otherwise and that's lame. Luke deserved a hell of a lot more than what we got. And they lost the chance of what they planned to do with Leia.

As it stands, Episode 7-9 will be a huge disservice to the first 6 movies. All of the original trilogy characters have been 100% wasted. Even Chewie.