• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Feb 13, 2018
Japan
I definitely do agree with him that it's an awful shame there wasn't a reunion between the original cast. It was a waste. But in the end it didn't fit with the story being told, even with Lucas's original concept. Ford only came back for one movie on the condition that he died, and every draft of episode 7's plot that we know about involved the search for a disillusioned hermit Luke.

With what the filmmakers had to work with between Ford's stipulation and the plot, I think the way they handled the cast was fine. It's just a damn shame that all three couldn't be together on camera one last time.

Leon123

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I love the original trilogy and I loved TLJ, it's such a great film except for the Leia flying scene.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, well, then don't play in them and stop whining.

If anything I'd say because he's done playing Luke Skywalker now, he can be more open about it. He has as much right as anyone here to talk about Star Wars, what worked for him, what didn't work for him, what he regrets, what he's glad he got to do... So I'd welcome his opinions.

Personally, I'd love for him to release a book similar to Cary Elwes' As You Wish. Something like that, going through the behind the scenes stuff of both trilogies, would be pretty fantastic.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If anything I'd say because he's done playing Luke Skywalker now, he can be more open about it.
But he is no more open about it than he always was? We just didn't have twitter then. He openly questioned plot points in the OT he didn't agree with quite often over the years. This is just who Mark is. He has his ideas and is open about them.

It was clear post-1983 Hamill wasn't particularly happy with his arc in Return of the Jedi for example.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But he is no more open about it than he always was? We just didn't have twitter then. He openly questioned plot points in the OT he didn't agree with quite often over the years. This is just who Mark is. He has his ideas and is open about them.

It was clear post-1983 Hamill wasn't particularly happy with his arc in Return of the Jedi for example.

Right, we didn't have Twitter back then. We do now and now that he's never going to play Luke Skywalker again (I'm pretty sure the only reason he even agreed to it was so he could make a movie with Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher again), I'd love to hear him speak more about the part and his opinions on it.

Jan 3, 2018
"Wait you knew Luke Skywalker?" and asking if the legends about him and the jedi are true in TFA.

If Rey, as you say:

a) knew about all the Jedi force powers
b) she didn't need demonstrations to use them
c) she didn't have any doubt in the force and could use force powers without struggle

then in the Last Jedi, wouldn't it have been a smarter and safer move to force project to Snoke's ship instead of going there in person? Couldn't she have force lifted all the AT-ATs on Crait right off the ground, or at least disabled the giant cannon? If "size matters not," couldn't she have just force-crashed the First Order's ships into each other from the safety of the Millenium Falcon?

Last edited:

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well it still weighs on him. From a few hours ago:

Even though I love TLJ, I get it. It's just unfortunate that it fans the flames for the most obnoxious haters crowd.

The funny part is Mark Hamill told people to stop spinning his comments to try and claim he doesn't like the new movies yet they ignore him to keep doing so.

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love the original trilogy and I loved TLJ, it's such a great film except for the Leia flying scene.

While I like it, too...the reason so many people hate it is because small things like that scene ruin the entire universe for them. For example, that one scene ruins and breaks so many of the established norms and 'rules' that the universe had built over the last 7 films. Now Jedis can survive in outer space without air and fly through space with force pulls? Now Leia has power we haven't seen EVER and without any training that we know of?

It's hated because it's canon and now you can't ignore it. I don't agree with all of the hate it gets, but you really have to jump through some serious logical hoops to think the film doesn't do some really stupid stuff.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
While I like it, too...the reason so many people hate it is because small things like that scene ruin the entire universe for them. For example, that one scene ruins and breaks so many of the established norms and 'rules' that the universe had built over the last 7 films. Now Jedis can survive in outer space without air and fly through space with force pulls? Now Leia has power we haven't seen EVER and without any training that we know of?

It's hated because it's canon and now you can't ignore it. I don't agree with all of the hate it gets, but you really have to jump through some serious logical hoops to think the film doesn't do some really stupid stuff.

Jedi using the force to make it back from space was established in canon before TLJ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZTZQgBKGKg

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nothing Leia did was new to Star Wars

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's not the same, Kanan didn't take an explosion to the face and do that trick while unconscious.

Sorry you don't like it, either.

I like the scene actually. It finally fulfills what Luke tells her in ROTJ. You really don't get how Leia can use the force?
Please re-watch the film, or at least the scene, before you make more wrong statements.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not the same, Kanan didn't take an explosion to the face and do that trick while unconscious.

Sorry you don't like it, either.
It makes even more sense to do unconscious though. Jedi are big on "feel don't think".

Jedi powers aren't RPG skills you practice to do better or level up at. It's all about letting go and believing it's possible.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Leia's scene was one of my faves in the movie.

I was flabbergasted people found it "cheesy" and didn't like it.

I had total tears in my eyes - like I did through a lot of the movie, I was basically Kevin Smith through a lot of that and the same with Episode 7 - yet still I can acknowledge there were seriously disappointing aspects of the movie.

Luke not having a real lightsaber battle with say, the Knights of Ren when Kylo destroyed the Jedi Temple was seriously underwhelming. I would have found it perfect for Luke to go out fighting a ton of Kylo's followers yet stopping himself from killing Kylo for obvious reasons. But no, a roof just crashes over his head and he wakes up to burning buildings. Boring.

I didn't expect/didn't think Luke needed to die yet. He should have died in Episode 9. It feels rushed that he was killed off.

A George Lucas style Special Edition with added scenes would make Episode 8 so much better.

First thing I would add is a scene with Luke taking on the Knights of Ren and wiping out most of them while some end up escaping.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Luke not having a real lightsaber battle with say, the Knights of Ren when Kylo destroyed the Jedi Temple was seriously underwhelming. I would have found it perfect for Luke to go out fighting a ton of Kylo's followers yet stopping himself from killing Kylo for obvious reasons. But no, a roof just crashes over his head and he wakes up to burning buildings. Boring.

oh wow, so going on an revenge rampage!

SO JEDI LIKE

lol

Oct 27, 2017
United States
why would Luke go on killing HIS OWN students just because of Kylo betrayal?? o.O
It would be...during the betrayal? He would be trying to stop him, not kill him? It couldnt even be revenge until after the fight. The fight is what he would be needing vengeance for. Basically, you cant go for revenge when nothing has happened yet. Luke would simply be defending himself in that context.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Didn't Kylo have a bunch of followers? If they found out Luke was supposedly bad and tried to kill him, I assume Luke would defend himself.

There's no reason why my idea wouldn't work.

Kylo offered them to join him or die.

half the students selected to join him, the other were killed by them.

so, again, why would Luke start killing his kids students? if he would have wake up earlier, the kids may never have joined Kylo

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Kylo have a bunch of followers? If they found out Luke was supposedly bad and tried to kill him, I assume Luke would defend himself.

Fighting is not the Jedi way. Luke is not a super hero, he isn't supposed to have badass fights. He is above that.

And Kylo's followers were also Luke's students. Luke wouldn't fight them. He would avoid it at all costs.

Having Luke "go out fighting" is against everything his character stands for. Luke isn't Goku, he isn't a super hero, he isn't supposed to be badass.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Thematically it wouldn't work well for Luke's character. He's the guy who would rather throw his saber to the side instead of fighting his own father.. who devised a strategy to save the galaxy by refusing to fight Kylo. Of course Luke would defend himself, but having him kill his own students wouldn't really fit well with who he is.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
So the ones that joined him attack Luke and Luke defends himself.

Then Luke could catch up to Kylo, have a duel that Luke obviously wins, but stops himself from killing Kylo for obvious reasons. Then Kylo injures Luke/escapes and Luke stays broken and defeated.

At least there is something there and we get to see Luke's actual abilities after like 30 years instead of some roof just coming down over his head and him waking up to burning buildings.

I was simply underwhelmed by how they handled that subplot. Should have been more to it.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least there is something there and we get to see Luke's actual abilities after like 30 years instead of some roof just coming down over his head and him waking up to burning buildings.
Luke is the man who threw his saber aside rather than fight his father.

Luke is not going to have a big lightsaber duel and show off cool lightsaber abilities. That is not who Luke is. He is a pacifist.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
It's not like Luke didn't beat Vader to a pulp when he mentioned Leia, or (in this very same movie) consider killing Kylo himself.

Luke can do whatever they want him to do.

Is it in Luke's character to shut himself off from the force and let his friends/the galaxy become destroyed by the Sith? I would say no, but according to the sequels, he is.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would go completely against his character and arc to have him have a "badass" lightsaber fight and show off cool abilities. There is literally nothing about Luke's character that would make that fit who he is.

That is why he didn't fight in TLJ. RJ knew who his character is. Luke is not a super hero.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's not like Luke didn't beat Vader to a pulp when he mentioned Leia, or (in this very same movie) consider killing Kylo himself.

Is it in Luke's character to shut himself off from the force and let his friends/the galaxy become destroyed by the Sith? I would say no, but according to the sequels, he is.
But he didn't kill them.

Also yes, I think it does, if you look at the full context. A lot of the characterizations in TLJ are mirrored in the OT.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
So it was more in line with his character to shut himself off from the force, give up, and allow his friends to die and handle Snoke/Kylo all by themselves?

As far as I know there has been no precedent for that. Luke essentially lay on his back and allowed Han to die. He had his family and friends out there and he basically said "fuck it"?

Not the most believable thing.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would go completely against his character and arc to have him have a "badass" lightsaber fight and show off cool abilities. There is literally nothing about Luke's character that would make that fit who he is.
Also those were portrayed as MISTAKES. Things he learned from. Those are examples to further prove that Luke having a badass fight would go completely against his character.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it was more in line with his character to shut himself off from the force, give up, and allow his friends to die and handle Snoke/Kylo all by themselves?
You are ignoring what actually happened. He successfully saved the Resistance and relit the fire of the Jedi without aggression.

TLJ proved his strategy was correct. He saved the day and rebirthed the future of the Jedi through peace and meditation. It was the most Jedi act ever on screen.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dude went to Jabba's Palace to fuck everyone up. That "it's not in Luke's character" thing I keep seeing is total rubbish.
Again you are ignoring the end of ROTJ. He learned that was NOT the correct way. He learned his lesson. The whole point was to show him acting in aggression, wearing all black. Not because it was "cool" but to show how close to the edge he was...he learned and finally became a Jedi when he tossed the saber aside.

If you think him fucking things up was shown to be the "Jedi way" you missed the entire message behind him tossing his saber. That was the moment he finally learned. That was the moment he finally became a Jedi.

You seem to have completely missed the entire message and theme of the films.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Dude went to Jabba's Palace to fuck everyone up. That "it's not in Luke's character" thing I keep seeing is total rubbish.
Those were random goons not his family/students/friends. And even still, in ROTJ he's tempted by the dark side (as we see in his anger for Vader later on in the film). He uses Vader's force choke on said goons just to get inside.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those were random goons not his family/students/friends. And even still, in ROTJ he's got some dark in him (as we see in his anger for Vader later on in the film). He uses Vader's force choke on said goons just to get inside.
Yep. Lucas has even said this. The way Luke acted at Jabba's palace and his costume was to show Luke's struggle. To make you unsure if he will go to the dark side or light. Luke's actions at Jabbas were not portrayed as "yeah this is the Jedi way".

Until he finally tosses the saber aside, refuses to fight, and finally becomes a Jedi in that moment.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Apples and oranges.

If Kylo was about to cut Han's head off in front of him do you think he would still toss the ligtsabre?

That wouldn't work against Jabba. Context matters.

What do you think Luke was teaching the new Jedi to do? Toss their lightsabers? Combat is part of the Jedi way.

He didn't attack Kylo Ren cuz he's his nephew. Luke isn't about killing family.

I mean, is Rey not gonna use her lightsaber or kill anything ever again just cuz "it's the Jedi way" ?

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. Lucas has even said this. The way Luke acted at Jabba's palace and his costume was to show Luke's struggle. To make you unsure if he will go to the dark side or light. Luke's actions at Jabbas were not portrayed as "yeah this is the Jedi way".

Until he finally tosses the saber aside, refuses to fight, and finally becomes a Jedi in that moment.

tenor.gif

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Combat is part of the Jedi way.
A central tenant of the Jedi belief is they use the force for knowledge, not for attack.

The jedi fighting all the time in the prequels was meant to be seen as a *bad* thing.

Luke stopping the FO and saving his friends in TLJ without once attacking anyone was the most Jedi thing ever.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Apples and oranges.

If Kylo was about to cut Han's head off in front of him do you think he would still toss the ligtsabre?

That wouldn't work against Jabba. Context matters.

What do you think Luke was teaching the new Jedi to do? Toss their lightsabers? Combat is part of the Jedi way.

He didn't attack Kylo Ren cuz he's his nephew. Luke isn't about killing family.

I mean, is Rey not gonna use her lightsaber or kill anything ever again just cuz "it's the Jedi way" ?
I expect Rey will go through a similar struggle and that she'll kill more folks. She's already blasted a few Stormtroopers and killed some guards in TLJ.

And in that context I think Luke would defend Han without killing Kylo.