• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
The case only really works if HBO actually "let them go willingly" and it wasn't a case of existing contracts coming to an end and mutual decision due to that. There's no way to reasonably prove that they could have continued making the same amounts of money with a new team of showrunners/actors/etc.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
You know Westworld gets like a tenth of GoT's viewers right?
Yeah but got finale got like what 20 million viewers? Everybody can have an opinion about the quality, but the number of viewers is here. And apparently most people love westworld even if its mucy fewer people than got fans, and in any way i dont think hbo is suffering from the last season of got is all i meant.

I'd be more scared to be d&d needing to write the next star wars than being hbo right now ^^

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
See, with that thread title this is going to play here as "they're gonna sue cause GoT sucked!" when it's only about number of episodes and longevity of brand.

Stockholders don't give a fuck about character arcs.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Hold on, I forget. What was the original title to this thread? Because right now it's a duplicate of the actual article headline.

Robdraggoo

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For all who who read the shitty title and not the article this us about the show being over valued when their was only 6 planned episodes left. Nothing to do with the quality of said episodes

But with the brand and planned preuels. I think they can make the case " game of thrones" was worth the value placed on it.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
They have got 5 spin-offs or so planned.. How much more would you like :p

However, I guess claiming that shortening the series did some damage to the name and popularity going on forward is true.

Again no clue about this whole lawyer stuff, seems silly being to sue stuff just like that.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Again no clue about this whole lawyer stuff, seems silly being to sue stuff just like that.

Yeah I think the actual argument being put forth is pretty tepid, irrespective of the quality of the headline in reflecting it. Thrones isn't really over if you count the other stuff they plan to do with the universe.

Semirelatedly, anyone else get weirded out in this post-MCU world where we talk about fictional settings as products?

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is complete bullshit. Whatever you may think of the final season, creativity should not be dictated by shareholder profits. They told their story and ended it, shareholders wanting more filler for more profit are the enemy here.
Man, i don't know that I would call what was missing from season 8 "filler"

More like... "desperately needed character development."

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
Man, i don't know that I would call what was missing from season 8 "filler"

More like... "desperately needed character development."
That's besides the point though. What the article is implying is that HBO should have created SEASONS of more content, even if it was just filler (Emphasis is mine). Forget the quality of Season 8, all the article cares about is that HBO didn't milk the series to death for years longer. The article wants quantity without regard to quality because the quantity would have made shareholders more profit.

Edit- the article even talks about how a show like Grey's Anatomy has been ongoing for 15+ seasons and argues that if a show like that can keep making content then HBO failed shareholders by not doing the same. The article is fucking insanity- literally no regard to storytelling and quality, only the almighty profit for shareholders.

Last edited:

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
giphy.gif

Deleted member 16365

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, this has officially gone too far.

Bad or not, Game of Thrones brought in subscribers for a decade to HBO which helped their shareholders make a ton of money.. If the expectation is that people would love the finale so much they'd stay a subscriber for life that's not only misguided that's stupid. Everyone knew they base would drop off after this. It's more on HBO to have many high quality shows to fill the gap, and that has nothing to do with the quality of the show.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
Okay, this has officially gone too far.

Bad or not, Game of Thrones brought in subscribers for a decade to HBO which helped their shareholders make a ton of money.. If the expectation is that people would love the finale so much they'd stay a subscriber for life that's not only misguided that's stupid. Everyone knew they base would drop off after this. It's more on HBO to have many high quality shows to fill the gap, and that has nothing to do with the quality of the show.

It's also worth noting GOT didn't start that hot audience wise, it grew as time went on. Sometimes you just have to persevere.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Fuck the shareholders. Game of thrones perpetually going on until its so garbage and unliked that it gets canceled anyways isn't a good alternative.