• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Context for those who cannot watch the video:

Two days ago I was doing a live stream to to explain a heist with Markiplier. It has choices so i had people voting on which way they wanted to go with emotes i have for members, one a red paddle and one a green paddle. I would pick which way to go and then they would spam that emote. That is the only reason that hundreds of people's accounts in my community have been banned. Completely. Not exaggerating. That is the only reason.

lfyUWdm.png

JyKO6t2.png

Last edited:

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
YouTube is such a shitshow it's incredible.
Their whole platform is fucking disgusting and sometimes even on purpose

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
YouTube keeps fucking up so much it's amazing. They are also going to implement a system where they auto-detect if your video is aimed at children and disable ad revenue if so.

sinny

Oct 28, 2017
If youtube doesn't want people to post more than a few emotes in a single message they should put a limit and show it to the user. easy as that
The bans make no sense, there's no logic. People are going to use the tools you gave them and for the looks of it there was nothing wrong on how they used it.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What moron would design a system that skips past Chat Ban and straight up to Google Account Ban?
And why is Youtube even interfering in a chatroom moderator's job? This isn't even a job they need on their end!

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
spamming gets you banned? good.

asking users to spam? don't.

Imagine spamming emotes in someone's Twitch chat, and then going to Amazon only to discover that they've wiped out your Amazon account, removed all your Amazon Prime benefits, and banned you from ever shopping on Amazon again.

This is arguably worse because losing your Google account means losing GMail, Google Drive, etc. etc. Do you have any work on Google Cloud? Kiss access to that goodbye. Subscriptions to Google Play Music, purchases on the Google Play store, all locked out. Google Accounts are often used as an SSO sign-on method for other sites on the internet. Congratulations: you can't log into those sites either anymore.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I actually really like Markiplier when he is serious, but yeah this is some straight up BS.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
wow, that might be the dumbest system I've ever heard. It's a legit reason to push people away from live streaming on youtube.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Let's not give Markiplier views when he is a pewdiepie shill

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
what does a suspended google account mean? you can't even login to gmail? man what a shit show

i wonder with stadia coming out what that would mean? if you get suspended on youtube for spamming emotes (LOL) would all your stadia games disappear too? I assume you can't "cheat" in stadia, but if you got caught AFKing say in a multiplayer PVP game, what does that mean to the rest of your google services?

crazy stuff. between amazon, facebook, apple, and google its insane how much of your digital footprint is concentrated in fewer and fewer hands and how much of your routine they control.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I can understand a 24 hour suspension ON YOUTUBE. But an entire ban of your Google account for the sake of posting 6 green emoji's seems extreme. Especially when you consider the blatant racism and homophobia that goes on daily in the YouTube comments with zero punishment...makes tons of sense :/

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What the ever loving hell, YT? Why would they ban their entire Google account? What sense does that even make?

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
What the ever loving hell, YT? Why would they ban their entire Google account? What sense does that even make?
Automated system, it's unlikely humans initiated these. But he makes another good point that it's pretty insane spamming a livestream chat could legitimately lead to someone's GOOGLE account getting suspended since people do way worse in chat in other ways (and video comment sections really).

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
what does a suspended google account mean? you can't even login to gmail? man what a shit show

i wonder with stadia coming out what that would mean? if you get suspended on youtube for spamming emotes (LOL) would all your stadia games disappear too? I assume you can't "cheat" in stadia, but if you got caught AFKing say in a multiplayer PVP game, what does that mean to the rest of your google services?

crazy stuff. between amazon, facebook, apple, and google its insane how much of your digital footprint is concentrated in fewer and fewer hands and how much of your routine they control.

yes anything connected to that google account is locked out. its insane.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Instant (and permanent?) Google account bans seemingly being the default behavior of Google's auto moderation when it detects more than X emotes in a row in a chat comment, and there apparently being no way out of this ban, unless someone like Markiplier makes a big stink (and the jury's still out on that), is extremely fucked up.

Wonder how many people have been affected by this?
And what else kind of nonsensical bullshit can Google just decide to suddenly end your account over with no warning?

Last edited:

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Even just ignoring Mark's example of it occurring on his stream when it wasn't spam, spamming on a stream warrants the entire Google account to be suspended? That punishment does not fit the crime at all. Ridiculous.

Hopefully this gets a lot of traction.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
...thats stupid. Google could have had their designers write a limit in to prevent spam. They could have just issued warnings. They could have just temporarily put locked those users out from posting. They could have taken dozens of other measures before going that far. And before all that, theres moderation available, so people with actual context as to whats going on at that time can make decisions to stop inappropriate behavior.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Youtube being a shit, what else is new? Tho this is pretty fucking wild even for them.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I posted this in the Etc thread about the same - but to me, this is a clear warning about putting too much of your life (i.e., Gmail) into a free account. There is absolutely no recourse available to you if you get screwed out of your account. That email address that's tied to your banking, job, etc...? Gone.

I moved to a paid service many years ago and seeing stuff like this really reinforces my decision.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I don't have a lot of sympathy for actual spammers, but jfc of course YT implemented it in the worst way imaginable. Just ridiculous.

Cirrus

Oct 25, 2017
Ridiculous that they can ban an entire google account based on something done on only one of the services.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
never logging to youtube is once again proved the only correct way to watch youtube.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
I posted this in the Etc thread about the same - but to me, this is a clear warning about putting too much of your life (i.e., Gmail) into a free account. There is absolutely no recourse available to you if you get screwed out of your account. That email address that's tied to your banking, job, etc...? Gone.

I moved to a paid service many years ago and seeing stuff like this really reinforces my decision.
But Gmail and Google can be a paid service as well, lots of small companies use it to expand their storage on Gmail, GDrive, etc. And those people would be screwed too.
It doesn't seem to be a paid vs non-paid service, just moronic disproportionate bannings to entire accounts for a hurtless spam on a Youtube chat.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
A Google account ban resulting in your phone, computer, private and personal email, YOUR BUSINESS and so much more all being usable.. Incredible.

Last edited:

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
If youtube doesn't want people to post more than a few emotes in a single message they should put a limit and show it to the user. easy as that
The bans make no sense, there's no logic. People are going to use the tools you gave them and for the looks of it there was nothing wrong on how they used it.
Like? Seriously! How could someone not just see like where it'll just say something like "slow down" isn't a

It's bad enough with android phones already.
Oh wow, I didn't even think of the affected people who are using android phones...

never logging to youtube is once again proved the only correct way to watch youtube.
I felt kinda silly and petty for doing this, but for a while not long ago I would only watch youtube from channel bookmarks I made through a private browsing window, besides channels I really liked and wanted to leave a "like," that is.

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
You think it's appropriate for your entire Google account to be permanently banned as a result of spamming an emote inside of a contained, user-specific chat box at the request of said user?

What?

Honest answer, no.. that's actually total BS. It'd just be better if Youtube banned them from commenting on videos.

Twitch and Live Youtube chats are filled with almost nothing but shit spammers.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I had to do a double take when I saw that it was a full account suspension.

Are they fucking serious? In terms of assholery on the internet, spamming emotes in chat is pretty fucking far down there. What the fuck are they thinking?

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Automated system, it's unlikely humans initiated these. But he makes another good point that it's pretty insane spamming a livestream chat could legitimately lead to someone's GOOGLE account getting suspended since people do way worse in chat in other ways (and video comment sections really).

It wasn't human initiated, but humans handled the appeals and they still all ended up being banned permanently. So there isn't just a problem with the software, but the human moderators aren't doing their job in making sure people aren't being wrongfully banned.

I know they won't, but Google can't keep going on like this without changing.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
I think the fact that they reply that the appeals are being rejected by real people to be the worst of it.

Especially when the host is asking you to do so.

So dumb

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
The google account ban seems extreme. I hate the spamming but if I understand this correctly it was used as a vote system during one of his videos and so now a bunch of accounts are just blocked?

That is heavy handed.

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's absolutely insane.

I've legit ever only commented on a youtube video less than a dozen times in my life, and have never posted on a live stream, and can say going forward I will never comment on any current or future google social media platforms.

I couldn't imagine losing my gmail over a comment.

I think the fact that they reply that the appeals are being rejected by real people to be the worst of it.

Especially when the host is asking you to do so.

So dumb

Yeah, so Mark had channel emotes and said to people, "should I do 'x' or 'y', emote green for x and emote red for y," and people got automoderated for it.

The thing about twitch is that the bigger streamers have moderators in their chats, and also twitch provides tools for people to moderate their spam.

So you can have a hype mode where people can type in only emotes for things like special events, meaning that no one can type out comments that may be negative. You can have time limits, so people can comment only once every sixty seconds. You can also block emotes from being posted if you want people specifically to comment. So comment "spam" is within the controls of the streamer, and sometimes spam is part of the performance.

Think of it like a Q&A with a crowd. Yeah, people can line up to the mic to get a chance to ask a question, but when the panel asks "who here's from out of town" and people whoop and holler, that's not actually a disruption.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Added screenshots (with personal info removed) and text context for those who can't watch.

Had title altered to show that Google accounts are being DISABLED and not suspended, because disabled means you can't access any of your google backed services.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Honest answer, no.. that's actually total BS. It'd just be better if Youtube banned them from commenting on videos.

Twitch and Live Youtube chats are filled with almost nothing but shit spammers.

And you watched the video to realize that this isn't one of those cases before you ran in for your hot take?

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I have a lot of documents that I would not want to lose stored on my Google Drive... This is a huge wakeup call for me to start backing that stuff up. Google is fickle and could ban you at any second. Their services are not to be trusted.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for adding the details; this is an separate issue from Markiplier, people who don't want to support him shouldn't have to do so to know about it.