• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
http://fortune.com/2018/12/07/altria-cronos-pot-cbd/
Altria Group, which owns multiple big tobacco brands like Marlboro and Skoal, announced a $1.8 billion investment into Canadian cannabis company Cronos Group at approximately $12.19 a share. That is a 16.2% premium over the stock's Thursday close, according to Reuters.
The transaction gives Altria a 45% interest in Cronos, which operates in both the medical and recreational marijuana markets. The deal is expected to close in the first half of 2019.
Altria can nominate four directors, including one independent director, to the Cronos board, giving it 4-to-3 control. There is also a warrant giving Altria the right to purchase additional shares at $14.25 a share over the next four years. If exercised in full, Altria would own 55% of the company.

Oct 25, 2017
This really needs to be kept local, if ever legalized nationwide in America. White business owners cashing in on a market tons of POC got locked up for is gross.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, anyone who didn't think this was coming was naive as hell.

This makes comprehensive, well regulated legalization that tries to prevent as much abuse as possible even more necessary. We can't let pot be sold to addicts and kids like both tobacco and alcohol were for so long (and still are in many ways). And this patchwork shit the states are doing is better than nothing, but is still not great.

I really hope that when weed is legalized, those pushing for it are doing so not only to legalize marijuana, but also to legalize it the correct way. I know I'll be calling my senators when it happens.

Legalized, regulated, taxed, and discouraged, if at all possible.

Last edited:

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Keep an eye on Canadian cannabis companies. With legalization in place at the federal level, Canada is going to be the centre of innovation and investment.

CarpeDeezNutz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, anyone who didn't think this was coming was naive as hell.

This makes comprehensive, well regulated legalization that tries to prevent as much abuse as possible even more necessary. We can't let pot be sold to addicts and kids like both tobacco and alcohol were for so long (and still are in many ways). And this patchwork shit the states are doing is better than nothing, but is still not great.

I really hope that when weed is legalized, those pushing for it are doing so not only to legalize marijuana, but also to legalize it the correct way. I know I'll be calling my senators when it happens.

Legalized, regulated, taxed, and discouraged, if at all possible.
Huh?

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
there's nothing wrong with a large corporation trying to get involved in the cannabis industry, as they can inevitably lobby for it to become legalized federally.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
I think you're talking about the discouraged part of my post, so that's what I'll respond to. If it was something else, please let me know.

Anyhow, weed absolutely needs to be discouraged upon legalization, just like tobacco is currently. We need to be upfront immediately that just because it's legal to do something isn't the same thing as implying it's healthy or somehow not something you can get addicted to. It's our job as a nation to safeguard our public health, and that includes having as few people as possible becoming heavy users of pot.

Tobacco and pot companies are gonna come out swinging upon federal legalization, trying their damnedest to convince kids and addicts to buy and use pot as much as possible. That's why the US government needs to be able to fight back, and do as much as possible to prevent such marketing.

Oct 27, 2017
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Of course this was the natural conclusion. And while these cats continue to get fat, my brethren will continue to rot in jail for possession.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I think you're talking about the discouraged part of my post, so that's what I'll respond to. If it was something else, please let me know.

Anyhow, weed absolutely needs to be discouraged upon legalization, just like tobacco is currently. We need to be upfront immediately that just because it's legal to do something isn't the same thing as implying it's healthy or somehow not something you can get addicted to. It's our job as a nation to safeguard our public health, and that includes having as few people as possible becoming heavy users of pot.

Tobacco and pot companies are gonna come out swinging upon federal legalization, trying their damnedest to convince kids and addicts to buy and use pot as much as possible. That's why the US government needs to be able to fight back, and do as much as possible to prevent such marketing.

Are you suggesting weed is anywhere near as addictive or deadly as tobacco? Cause that's crazy talk. Plenty of reasons to discourage misuse of it, especially for younger people, but let's not make stuff up.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Are you suggesting weed is anywhere near as addictive or deadly as tobacco? Cause that's crazy talk. Plenty of reasons to discourage misuse of it, especially for younger people, but let's not make stuff up.

It's not about what it is, it's about what they could turn it into, given the power. Cigarettes are more addictive and damaging than smoking dried tobacco leaves for what they put into them. That could happen with Marijuana in the future.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
It's not about what it is, it's about what they could turn it into, given the power. Cigarettes are more addictive and damaging than smoking dried tobacco leaves for what they put into them. That could happen with Marijuana in the future.

That's not what the poster I quoted says. I don't disagree that it should be regulated to make sure it is a safe product. But I was under the impression tobacco is inherently addictive without all the harmful shit they put in it.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
This really needs to be kept local, if ever legalized nationwide in America. White business owners cashing in on a market tons of POC got locked up for is gross.
I was going to say something similar.

All the states passing weed legalization laws need to include stipulations for those adversely affected by weed laws (particularly minorities) to have an opportunity to get their cut (California impressed me with this).

CarpeDeezNutz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah that's what I was referring too thanks for replying. I agree with what you say for the most part, but I would not lump bud in with cigs though.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Would be hilarious if they made it legal to buy from places like Marlboro but illegal to grow on your own.

Did I say hilarious? I meant sad as fuck.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
There will be small craft companies.

I enjoy weed and I live in Texas so the more large companies invested in it that can lobby is good news. Congress will legalize it sooner. Reduces cartel violence too.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not making stuff up. Take a look at this paper:
These limitations acknowledged, the results do suggest that the severity of the cannabis withdrawal syndrome is of comparable magnitude to that of the tobacco withdrawal syndrome. Tobacco withdrawal has been extensively researched, and by its inclusion in DSM-IV, is judged to be clinically significant (substance withdrawal disorders must produce "clinically significant distress" to be included in DSM-IV). This observed similarity with tobacco withdrawal, combined with several lines of evidence that cannabis withdrawal is clinically significant as described in the introduction, suggest that cannabis withdrawal is clinically significant in a subset of heavy cannabis users and should be characterized in detail in the next iterations of the DSM and ICD manuals.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2214670/

More research needs to be done absolutely. But people tend to underestimate the magnitude of addiction that cannabis has, especially when combined with tobacco.

Edit: And as for deadly, ounce per ounce it's pretty close in some area, less bad in others, and worse in some (again, I can link studies if necessary). The biggest difference I've found in both health issues and addictiveness is it's a lot more difficult to function after consuming a pack-equivalent of pot a day than tobacco. Even most heavy pot users only smoke like 2-3 grams a day (equivalent to a moderate smoker).

Yeah that's what I was referring too thanks for replying. I agree with what you say for the most part, but I would not lump bud in with cigs though.
As much as I'd agree, unfortunately tobacco and cannabis are gonna be lumped together sooner rather than later, as this article suggests.

Last edited: