• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP you know damn well this is just gonna be the same bad thread that got closed last time. But let's just go over all the facts.

-Marvel movies are cinema. They are giant blockbuster movies that happen to have the serial storytelling of television, and can ba quite formulaic in their structure and aesthetic choices, but cinema all the same.

-Martin Scorsese is one of the greatest filmmakers of all time who's forgotten more about movies than you'll ever know. Why did people think a 76 year old man needs to give a fuck about Captain America lifting Thor's hammer, I'll never know. But he doesn't need to like them and that's ok.

-Martin Scorsese is not "gate keeping". Gate keeping requires power, control, like a comic store manager keeping a woman out until she can name all the Fantastic Four members. Disney owns 1/3rd of all ticket sales this year. Disney is taking over not just movies, but television as well, until its all one big slurry of "content". Disney has influenced, directly or indirectly, just about everything that gets made in Hollywood today. They are not being gate kept. THEY ARE THE GATE. MCU fans, you are the monoculture. You won! Your style of movies is safe and gets safer every year. It's the auteur pictures from artists like Scorsese that are being gate kept. They are the outside and have to go through Netflix to even get made.
That's a good post.

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
He's certainly not wrong, I only ever watch marvel movies once unless it's just something playing in the background. Dark Knight is probably the only comic book movie I can think of that for me is imminently rewatchable and not just for the action.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
HjiqU0iHBONJd5qmzABESczepxggAP4F-Zs3X29TCeQ.jpg
Damn they pretty hung. Lol. Must have ERA accounts

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
When disney criticism is "MCU are crap cinema, people should watch X pretentious shit from Y director to learn about the medium, fucking casuals", i think that side ends up looking far worse.

Same old shit when people bash pop music, or any popular-mass market entertainment media. It's pathetic as fuck.

And labelling movies as "pretentious shit" because they aren't Marvel isn't pathetic?

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
black panther easily but who knows what would be remembered 20 years from now. Phantom Menace came out 20 years ago and people still actively talk about.

Phantom menace gets talked about as it's Star Wars, also it's talked about in the same way like, godfather 3 is talked about. Not in a great light.
Black panther is would argue would be talked about for its status as a huge and powerful black American film. Which is deserved and great. But I still think it's a way off being remembered for its status as a piece of cinema. Close with some of the killmonger stuff (especially his death scene) but yeah.

That said I could be wrong- all of us could be. We won't know for a while. But marvel I feel will be known for its sales first, and then some of the cinematic stuff a distant second.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
I dont get people that keep saying he not wrong. He LITERALLY WRONG. Just looking to definition of word "cinema". He 100% made up his own bullshit.

I dont care if he say marvel movies is bad. Something like "its empty, corporate ordered thing that not reflecting the maker actually want to make" just why not say that?

Just not this pretentious incorrect bullshit

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scorsese never said everybody should only watch classics or cult movies, or that MCU is "crap". He said that, for HIM, "cinema" is another thing.

My post was about the people defending Scorsese while saying shit like that.

I know what Scorsese said, and i still think it's a dumb opinion. A dumb opinion based on a "old man yells at cloud" thing, that dismisses the work of hundreds of artists that work or have worked on marvel films.

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't it Spielberg who created the summer blockbuster?

Spielberg invented it, Lucas made it official and then Spielberg wanted his crown back. Then Cameron stomped all over them both.

So, Scorcese doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about.

All 3 directors he mentioned defined and redefined blockbusters. As in they ruled the summer blockbuster and at one time held the record for highest grossing movie of all time.

So while it's not one single director, it's Kevin Feige's vision that rules blockbusters now.

To ignore that is to diminish what he's done.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Am I missing something? Are other kinds of movies not being made anymore? Are theaters not showing other films anymore? Some of the greatest works of cinema have been created in the past 10 years, hell, even the last 5 years, is he pretending they don't actually exist? Really smells like someone giving out a controversial opinion for the sake of publicity.

It's not even about MCU stuff, I actually do think Disney (and by extension Marvel) is having a negative effect on the movie industry as a whole. But what Scorsese is saying is just bullshit.

Oct 25, 2017
Scorsese also produces smaller projects from artists like Joanna Hogg so they can get made. The Souvenir would not have happened without him.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I don't really like Comic book movies that much. But I don't understand why he's complaining about "blockbuster" type movies being what they've always been

Oct 25, 2017
Also the Disney remakes are more killing cinema than the MCU

Someone should be in movie jail after the cinematic disaster known as The Lion King remake

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
OP you know damn well this is just gonna be the same bad thread that got closed last time. But let's just go over all the facts.

-Marvel movies are cinema. They are giant blockbuster movies that happen to have the serial storytelling of television, and can ba quite formulaic in their structure and aesthetic choices, but cinema all the same.

-Martin Scorsese is one of the greatest filmmakers of all time who's forgotten more about movies than you'll ever know. Why did people think a 76 year old man needs to give a fuck about Captain America lifting Thor's hammer, I'll never know. But he doesn't need to like them and that's ok.

-Martin Scorsese is not "gate keeping". Gate keeping requires power, control, like a comic store manager keeping a woman out until she can name all the Fantastic Four members. Disney owns 1/3rd of all ticket sales this year. Disney is taking over not just movies, but television as well, until its all one big slurry of "content". Disney has influenced, directly or indirectly, just about everything that gets made in Hollywood today. They are not being gate kept. THEY ARE THE GATE. MCU fans, you are the monoculture. You won! Your style of movies is safe and gets safer every year. It's the auteur pictures from artists like Scorsese that are being gate kept. They are the outside and have to go through Netflix to even get made.

The humanity...

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Lol

Right so holding MCU responsible and calling them an invasion is a bit silly if the issue began in early 80s, which was my point with all these things.

I do feel it's been slowly escalating since then, which I could be wrong. Studios have always chased money, but it feels like the primary focus has shifted since the 80s to being mainly on Blockbusters where before it was salt and peppered with a bigger variety. I'd have to fact check this though. But I don't believe something like the godfather or Goodfellas would be produced today from a major studio, instead the focus is on what makes the biggest amount of dollar. The slack is being carried by the smaller studios now.

I also don't believe that Marty puts the blame for this solely on the MCU. It's just the biggest thing as the moment and is filling a role that was already existing.

MCU = theme park attraction
Countless big dumb movies since the 80s = also theme park attractions

Blockbusters have definitely invaded Cinema the past 40 years or so. I can sympathize with Marty in wishing that the big studios weren't just interested in chasing grosses and were providing a system which produces an variety of cinema, complete with giving work to interesting creative minds.

The thing is though. The days that Marty wants back were a fluke. The studios were chasing grosses then as well. The only reason the focus went to critically revered directors back in the New Hollywood days is because the studios damn near went bankrupt before that. The studios were desperate and out of touch. That's the only way I can see things changing again. If somehow the superhero trend is actually a bubble and pops, leaving the people in charge to turn to other kinds of filmmaking. I don't see it happening though. For now, the studios are going to keep going where the money is, and that's cape films.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are you telling me Star Wars didn't invade cinemas and merchandising to a similar extent during its original trilogy?

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
This is a lot like complaining about pop music being popular.
Most would agree that there should be room for other kinds of films but maybe filling up theaters nationwide isn't a realistic goal for independent and non-blockbusters and their budgets and distribution plans should continue to reflect that. Are there not streaming options that would make some of the best of these films more accessible to audiences looking for them?

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not really sure how Marty commenting on the state of cinema has turned into two big threads about Marty vs the MCU. He didn't even say anything bad it.

The only thing I don't understand about his comment is there is only one "Spielberg, Lucas, and Cameron." Is he saying they make big, tentpole films but there are only a few of them and thus release films far and apart from each other whereas Marvel churns them out every single month and thus crowds the market?

He's talking about innovation. Marty came up in an era where filmmakers were constantly trying to push the boundaries of cinema. Spielberg, Lucas, and Cameron (a little later) did this with great films that basically created the template that Hollywood has been imitating ever since because of the profit. Now we have a bajillion films that strive to replicate that success, but what do these films bring to the evolution of cinema that wasn't done before? Hence the "there is only one Spielberg, Lucas, and Cameron". That ground has already been broken.

The films that do make their stamp don't come from the Disney's, Universal, and Paramount's of the world anymore. They come from smaller studios while the big guys save their funding for big blockbusters. Marty doesn't view cinema as a dollar figure, it's a culture to him, and he's saddened by the emphasis on crowd pleasing films over interesting works that progress the form.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Are you telling me Star Wars didn't invade cinemas and merchandising to a similar extent during its original trilogy?

We got three Star Wars movies in the span of 6 years and those were the only Star Wars movies we got for 20 years. Today we get 3 MCU movies in a single year. So no, I wouldn't say it's the same as the original trilogy.

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not really sure how Marty commenting on the state of cinema has turned into two big threads about Marty vs the MCU. He didn't even say anything bad it.

He's talking about innovation. Marty came up in an era where filmmakers were constantly trying to push the boundaries of cinema. Spielberg, Lucas, and Cameron (a little later) did this with great films that basically created the template that Hollywood has been imitating ever since because of the profit. Now we have a bajillion films that strive to replicate that success, but what do these films bring to the evolution of cinema that wasn't done before? Hence the "there is only one Spielberg, Lucas, and Cameron". That ground has already been broken.

The films that do make their stamp don't come from the Disney's, Universal, and Paramount's of the world anymore. They come from smaller studios while the big guys save their funding for big blockbusters. Marty doesn't view cinema as a dollar figure, it's a culture to him, and he's saddened by the emphasis on crowd pleasing films over interesting works that progress the form.

And yet we live in an age of YouTube/Vimeo/Facebook (make and distribute your own movies, channels etc) and gave rise to Netflix (now competing with Hollywood studios). Scorsese's complaint about MCU/theme park movies not being cinema isn't even directly focusing on the issue he claims. It's the studios not backing lesser films/creators not the success of such movies, yet he himself gets one of the largest funded movies from Netflix. In strict financial sense movies that create wealth for the studios should enable them to greenlight more diverse movies or be less risk adverse in their decision making for other creators.

It's a contrived stance, misplaced at best. The distribution of independent films, shorts, animations and more have never had such widespread digital or physical presence around the globe. Just because there are ebbs and flows of films/genres/studios dominating the cinema box office doesn't equate to those films being the bad guys or not cinema because creators label them one thing over another.

As for striving to push the boundaries of cinema how about the technology, techniques, audio, planning, pipeplines, collaborations etc that these sorts of theme park movies create through evolutionary or revolutionary methods? There's a ton of pushing the boundaries with theme park movies in the caliber of MCU. If Scorsese or posters do not see that it's their loss.

How about lowering the tools and costs involved to produce independent films? Do you think movies that Scorsese makes reduce entry points for independent studios or creators more so than theme park movies? Take a look at something like ASTARTES: Fan animated, don't you think the likes of Jurassic Park, MCU and theme park style shows/movies have lowered the entry points while pushing the boundaries of what is possible. I'd call that quite the contribution to cinema over the years.

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not at all. Star Wars was gigantic but there were only 3 over a decade compared to the 20+ marvel movies over the last decade.

I recall living in LA at the time and going to the cinema to see Star Wars (when it released, Empire specifically) and literally all cinemas were just playing that one movie over and over. I also recall that being for quite an extended period of time. The same happened in Australian cinemas for Terminator 2. Yet Scorsese heralds them and scorns modern theme park movies? I don't get it.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I really, really think comparing MCU fans to white supremacists is a bad idea, and I'm someone who doesn't view Scorsese's opinion as bad or wrong (even though he looks over the fact that ticket pricing is a big factor why this is happening).

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Welp, I guess people who find Scorce's statements unfair and a tad gatekeep-y are Nazis now, pack it in boys, the Anti-MCU crowd has reached their biggest low yet.

Sad to see that movie discourse on Era has reached this sort of level, but I guess some people just gotta feel good about their superior Cinema/Kino no matter the cost.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Welp, I guess people who find Scorce's statements unfair and a tad gatekeep-y are Nazis now, pack it in boys, the Anti-MCU crowd has reached their biggest low yet.

Sad to see that movie discourse on Era has reached this sort of level, but I guess some people just gotta feel good about their superior Cinema/Kino no matter the cost.

I wonder what pretentious crap should i be watching so that i can avoid being compared to MAGA dudes, just for liking some marvel movies.

Film snobs are the fucking worst.