• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Sep 12, 2018
Logistical vision doesn't bring asses in seats after 20+ movies. If audience didn't like what MCU offers their films wouldn't be nearly as popular as they're.
It kinda does when you cast charming actors and directors that are at least competent if not outstanding. Not even saying I don't like these movies either but weirdly in spite of how huge they are they feel like appetizers in between other better movies I go to see throughout the year. People keep saying of the MCU "well they're not trying to be great cinema" but why shouldn't they be?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It kinda does when you cast charming actors and directors that are at least competent if not outstanding. Not even saying I don't like these movies either but weirdly in spite of how huge they are they feel like appetizers in between other better movies I go to see throughout the year. People keep saying of the MCU "well they're not trying to be great cinema" but why shouldn't they be?

I'd say they're more entertaining than the majority of nine figure blockbusters that come out nowadays. It's not like every $100M+ budget movie that isn't Marvel is Fury Road. You aren't going to get something crazy artistically ambitious or experimental when these movies are deemed a success at $700M+. That said now that the brand is so strong we are hopefully going to see weirder stuff like the Eternals.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
What a dick head reply. I didn't, read the last sentence.

What? Your last sentence is talking about Scorcese's films. If you were also talking about people maybe phrase it better instead of calling others names?

People who are being elitist and snobby are the issue, not Scorcese's films.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

It's like you're an author, and instead of releasing a deep, philosophical novel, you prefer telling a fantasy story, a children's book, or make a comic. Neither of those are lesser than the novel, they're just for a different group of people, with different tastes and preferences.

No one has to make or create the highest form of art they can, when they simply feel like making something more down to earth.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
It kinda does when you cast charming actors and directors that are at least competent if not outstanding.
Ok. Then why their competition never got off the ground while having plenty of charming actors and competent directors?
People keep saying of the MCU "well they're not trying to be great cinema" but why shouldn't they be?
MCU ranges from serviceable to great blockbuster flicks with an average film bringing more to the table than it's direct competition. I'm not sure what "great cinema" you're talking about.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What? Your last sentence is talking about Scorcese's films. If you were also talking about people maybe phrase it better instead of calling others names?

People who are being elitist and snobby are the issue, not Scorcese's films.

I'm saying people like different things, that doesn't make them elitist or snobbish. People aren't being elitist about Scorsese because he is doing something different than art films and if people like art house they aren't going to consider him artsy because he doesn't make art films.

Sep 12, 2018
I'd say they're more entertaining than the majority of nine figure blockbusters that come out nowadays. You aren't going to get something crazy artistically ambitious or experimental when these movies have are deemed a success at 700M+. That said now that the brand is so strong we are hopefully going to see weirder stuff like the Eternals.
I think to me it's not even being ambitious or experimental so much as just putting more effort into the basics of film making and having the sense that it's not just going through the motions. Like I think the reason Joker or Logan are treated as outstanding movies is because they try their own thing, have a sense of artistic (instead of financial) intent behind them and pick at the status quo of comic book movies just a little even though in my book they're just pretty good.

It's like you're an author, and instead of releasing a deep, philosophical novel, you prefer telling a fantasy story, a children's book, or make a comic. Neither of those are lesser than the novel, they're just for a different group of people, with different tastes and preferences.

No one has to make or create the highest form of art they can, when they simply feel like making something more down to earth.
You're implying a level of snobbery to my post that's not there. I don't consider action or comic book movies to be low genres, to me they can be every bit as great as the likes of Kubrick, Bergman or Tarkovsky (I'd point to movies like Aliens, Hard-Boiled, Into the Spider-Verse, Fury Road, The Raid 1 and 2, Die Hard, Terminator 2, Inception as my favorites of all time). I just think that the MCU overall is a lot blander than it could be.

Sep 12, 2018
Ok. Then why their competition never got off the ground while having plenty of charming actors and competent directors?
This rolls back to my initial point, those movies didn't have the same level of completely deft and ambitious planning to them. To me the fact that The Avengers existed at the time was more impressive than the movie itself.

MCU ranges from serviceable to great blockbuster flicks with an average film bringing more to the table than it's direct competition. I'm not sure what "great cinema" you're talking about.
What MCU films are great for you? I'd say Thor Ragnarok comes closest just because Taika Waititi has such a deft hand compared to the cringier comedy you get in other Marvel movies (Endgame was especially painful) plus it's actually sneakily subversive with a final act that is surprisingly strong for the series. To me that's the one Marvel Studios movie where I wouldn't disagree with someone calling it great.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, but trolling people who watch superhero movies while bragging about how many films from the Criterion collection you have does.

Perhaps but I haven't seen much of that here. Criticising the films in comparison to either the films they take inspiration from or films of a similar kind has been plentiful.

Only references I have seen to art house film has been in relation to cinemas and what they choose to show.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm saying people like different things, that doesn't make them elitist or snobbish. People aren't being elitist about Scorsese because he is doing something different than art films and if people like art house they aren't going to consider him artsy because he doesn't make art films.

Liking something doesn't make them elitist, their attitude does. And that's not related to what they like, but the way they act. That was pretty clear from what I said, though.

You're implying a level of snobbery to my post that's not there. I don't consider action or comic book movies to be low genres, to me they can be every bit as great as the likes of Kubrick, Bergman or Tarkovsky (I'd point to movies like Aliens, Hard-Boiled, Into the Spider-Verse, Fury Road, The Raid 1 and 2, Die Hard, Terminator 2, Inception as my favorites of all time). I just think that the MCU overall is a lot blander than it could be.

Oh, of course they can be. I'm just saying they don't *have* to be. It's probably better that they aren't, because then the Kubricks, the Bergmans and the Tarkovskys would be a lot loess special.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
This rolls back to my initial point, those movies didn't have the same level of completely deft and ambitious planning to them.
Plans aren't always working. Aside fom the IM non of the standalone films in Phase One put the box-office on fire with the Incredible Hulk being an outright dud. Avengers might not have impressed you personally (or me for that matter), but it definitely resonated with a movie going audience.
What MCU films are great for you?
Iron Man, The Winter Soldier, GotG, Ragnarok, IW/Endgame.
Perhaps but I haven't seen much of that here.
I dunno mate, I think there's plenty of that around here.

Vinci

Oct 29, 2017
The man is allowed an opinion. He's not being horribly unfair or anything, but he does sound a bit get-off-my-lawn. Which isn't unexpected. People getting angry about his opinion are just being infantile.

As great a filmmaker as he is, it doesn't matter one iota what he thinks of these things, so folks should just let the man be.

Sep 12, 2018
Oh, of course they can be. I'm just saying they don't *have* to be. It's probably better that they aren't, because then the Kubricks, the Bergmans and the Tarkovskys would be a lot loess special.
Not sure I get what you're saying here. If Marvel movies could be genuinely great in the terms of action cinema they'd somehow make those directors seem less special? I wouldn't expect Marvel to do what Tarkovsky does, just live up to the potential of the area they're working in.

but it definitely resonated with a movie going audience.
I'm not denying that, but I think part of the success was due to how awful Marvel movies mostly were before this where a baseline of solidly entertaining was enough. Plus you can't deny that the novelty of seeing all these heroes on screen was a big driving factor.

This video shares some similar thoughts to mine of them making these amazing on paper concepts seem depressingly by the numbers:

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
I'm not denying that, but I think part of the success was due to how awful Marvel movies mostly were before this where a baseline of solidly entertaining was enough.
I mean, they weren't awful? If they were, nobody would've showed up on The Avengers, just look at the diminishing returns of Transformers.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Not sure I get what you're saying here. If Marvel movies could be genuinely great in the terms of action cinema they'd somehow make those directors seem less special? I wouldn't expect Marvel to do what Tarkovsky does, just live up to the potential of the area they're working in.

The point is, that this is a goal you're setting for these films, a goal you'd like them to reach. But that goal isn't their vision. It's like my relatives telling me "you you should go do something in graphics design" because I'm a good artist. Yeah, I'd be up for it and probably have the potential, but do I want to do that, or not?

The MCU films are what they are, they're beloved by most people, they get great ratings, etc. Why would they need to be Tarkovskys? They're telling stories from comicbooks people love, they go as deep as the material asks them to go. It's not like even Logan went anywhere even remotely as deep as the filmmakers you're citing.

OP
OP
Scullibundo

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone would argue against Spielberg and Cameron being much better directors than pretty much every director working on MCU films. These directors are legends for a reason. I disagree on Marvel films not having anything beneath the surface though, every movie has very clear themes that are explored during the course of their runtime. One could argue that these themes are only touched upon and not explored in depth, which I consider valid criticism, but not that themes don't exist.
That's why I said thematic 'depth'. ;)

Sep 12, 2018
I mean, they weren't awful? If they were, nobody would've showed up on The Avengers, just look at the diminishing returns of Transformers.
Consider that the year before Iron-Man the three Marvel movies out were Ghost Rider, Spider-Man 3 and Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer with X-Men The Last Stand, Fantastic Four and Elektra coming out two years prior to that even. Sure we had Spider-Man 2 but that was more the exception than the rule.

mjp2417

Nov 2, 2017
That's... not my argument at all.

You should maybe read more carefully.
Your argument is that "cinema elitism" will turn people off films with depth.
It's tragic, because I've actively seen it turn people off of the films with depth. What people are doing, is gonna drive many people away from the films we'd actually like them to see and gain more traction, and that's sad. :/

You apparently know this because you work in a video rental store and have direct knowledge of said phenomenon.
Cinema elitism is. Been working in a rental store with a massive arthaus selection for long enough to know. It's not like snobbery is a new concept, or even related to Scorcese. Know plenty of snobs who'd laugh at someone suggesting a Scorcese as an Artsy film.
If we replace generalities like "cinema elitism" with specific instantiations of such (like Martin Scorsese being mean to Marvel movies!) and "films with depth" with specific instantiations of such (feel free to replace Kiarostami with your preference!) we get "I've been working in a rental store with a massive arthouse selection for long enough to know that Martin Scorsese being mean to Marvel movies like Thor: Ragnorok actively turns people off of films with depth like The Wind Will Carry Us"

I mean, that's your argument. I happen to think it's a bad argument, but it's the one you made.

Last edited:

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

No one is demanding highest form of art from MCU , theres a middle ground . A middle ground something like Nolan batman movies, like Logan , like Joker. The craft behind those films , the performances and the overall approach to story telling has far more substance . Even outside comic book movies , MCU has a lot of action but a lot of it ranges from solid to barely competent. Movies like Fury road , recent mission impossible films , even lower budget stuff like Raid films or Dredd. Theres craft and pride in making high quality action films . All of em arent high art cinema, they are action blockbusters, but those same films show the level of quality in their execution.
What about Kids films ? How to train your dragon trilogy is one of the best modern kids movies in recent times . Tangled , Frozen, Toy story movies? They are all high quality movies that are aimed at children, but theres no denying about em as a piece or entertainment .
Why MCU , of all things, with all the hundreds of billions of dollars from disney cant strive to be something more? Why Black Panther , probably one of the most important superhero movies in this decade or ever for a significant portion of people has to have god awful cgi fight in third act? Why End game , the ultimate end of a saga that has 20 something movies spanning decades had to have obnoxious fan service and a drop in quality when it comes to fight choreography and set pieces compared to Infinity war?
Marvel and Disney are okay at dictating the modern movie making and having nearly every movie that comes out making a billion , so its only fair to criticize if for not doing something more , because they have resources , because they have talent behind these projects .

Sep 12, 2018
The point is, that this is a goal you're setting for these films, a goal you'd like them to reach. But that goal isn't their vision. It's like my relatives telling me "you you should go do something in graphics design" because I'm a good artist. Yeah, I'd be up for it and probably have the potential, but do I want to do that, or not?
And I don't think "these hundred million dollars movies could stand to be just a little bit more exciting, colorful and daring" is a particularly high goal to set.

Why would they need to be Tarkovskys?
Did you not read my post? I specifically said "I wouldn't expect them to do what Tarkovsky does" and cited great action movies that they could strive to be instead. I don't know why you're thinking I want them to be 3 hour somber dramas where there's almost no dialog and every shot lasts 7 minutes.

Sep 12, 2018
No one is demanding highest form of art from MCU , theres a middle ground . A middle ground something like Nolan batman movies, like Logan , like Joker. The craft behind those films , the performances and the overall approach to story telling has far more substance . Even outside comic book movies , MCU has a lot of action but a lot of it ranges from solid to barely competent. Movies like Fury road , recent mission impossible films , even lower budget stuff like Raid films or Dredd. Theres craft and pride in making high quality action films . All of em arent high art cinema, they are action blockbusters, but those same films show the level of quality in their execution.
What about Kids films ? How to train your dragon trilogy is one of the best modern kids movies in recent times . Tangled , Frozen, Toy story movies? They are all high quality movies that are aimed at children, but theres no denying about em as a piece or entertainment .
Why MCU , of all things, with all the hundreds of billions of dollars from disney cant strive to be something more? Why Black Panther , probably one of the most important superhero movies in this decade or ever for a significant portion of people has to have god awful cgi fight in third act? Why End game , the ultimate end of a saga that has 20 something movies spanning decades had to have obnoxious fan service and a drop in quality when it comes to fight choreography and set pieces compared to Infinity war?
Marvel and Disney are okay at dictating the modern movie making and having nearly every movie that comes out making a billion , so its only fair to criticize if for not doing something more , because they have resources , because they have talent behind these projects .
giphy.gif

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Consider that the year before Iron-Man the three Marvel movies out were Ghost Rider, Spider-Man 3 and Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer with X-Men The Last Stand, Fantastic Four and Elektra coming out two years prior to that even. Sure we had Spider-Man 2 but that was more the exception than the rule.
Ah, you were talking pre-MCU, got it. Still, I'd like to point out that going from the performance of previous MCU films there were no indication that MCU ever would be what it is now. Avengers was a huge gamble for Feige, and it did worked out.

In any case, I don't think that previous Marvel associated films played great role in the interest to MCU. If things worked like that, DCEU would've been firing from all cilinders from the Day 1 thanks to the Nolan's trilogy.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I can't see someone who lent his voice to Shark Tale to be that much of a snob. I don't think it's elitism to acknowledge that the definition of cinema is changing and that MCU shows that the auteurs and stars are losing their lustre and power in Hollywood.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017

Joker plays at having "craft and pride" but does it so shallowly and some derivatively that it's obnoxious. It's a loud, Holden Caulfield-esque exercise in high school-level nihilism, relies on mental illness tropes so heavily it undermines its own purported intention to advocate for the mentally ill, and literally shouts its thesis at you in its climax. It's the definition of a story written by checklist to appear significant; in other words, "Oscar bait".

As for Nolan, you can't tell me The Dark Knight Rises is a deeper film than the majority of the MCU. Furthermore, a lot of the films you mentioned, save for Mad Max and Dredd, I would say have serious issues as far as action and staging and fight choreography.

This is an ultimately subjective category, but it feels like a lot of these movies are being eyed with rose tinted glasses while the MCU gets the "accentuate the negative" approach. It doesn't feel like anyone is arguing in good faith, and that we have to accept that the Marvel films are of lower quality in comparison to everything without anyone arguing to prove it. Just throw up a YouTube video or appeal to an authority like a popular critic, and that's all you need apparently.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Your argument is that "cinema elitism" will turn people off films with depth.

You apparently know this because you work in a video rental store and have direct knowledge of said phenomenon.

If we replace generalities like "cinema elitism" with specific instantiations of such (like Martin Scorsese being mean to Marvel movies!) and "films with depth" with specific instantiations of such (feel free to replace Kiarostami with your preference!) we get "I've been working in a rental store with a massive arthouse selection for long enough to know that Martin Scorsese being mean to Marvel movies like Thor: Ragnorok actively turns people off of films with depth like The Wind Will Carry Us"

I mean, that's your argument. I happen to think it's a bad argument, but it's the one you made.

Okay, you're obviously not at all interested in honest discourse. You do you.

I personally wouldn't be caught dead claiming that Logan or the Nolan Batmans are on another level. They're just touching different beats, if people like that, fine. I don't know where the notion that Marvel and Disney are dictating anything when it comes to modern movie making comes from. I don't see directors trying to be the MCU, at least not the ones with any sense of integrity.

You're asking squares to be circles, while I get why, I don't think every square needs to be a circle because it could be. They've their own flavour, some people love it, some people hate it, and that's fine.

And I don't think "these hundred million dollars movies could stand to be just a little bit more exciting, colorful and daring" is a particularly high goal to set.

Did you not read my post? I specifically said "I wouldn't expect them to do what Tarkovsky does" and cited great action movies that they could strive to be instead. I don't know why you're thinking I want them to be 3 hour somber dramas where there's almost no dialog and every shot lasts 7 minutes.

Like, those are your opinions about these films. Those are subjective. MCU films aren't boring, drab and safe. You feel they are, that's you. But things like GotG and Ragnarok? Those weren't at all boring, bland and safe.

Sep 12, 2018
Like, those are your opinions about these films. Those are subjective. MCU films aren't boring, drab and safe. You feel they are, that's you. But things like GotG and Ragnarok? Those weren't at all boring, bland and safe.
I noted Ragnarok earlier as the one where I wouldn't quibble with calling it great. It's maybe the only strong third act of any MCU movie and actually has a nice subversive message too. Black Panther is almost up there too until it just falls apart at the end into bad CG and routine battle scenes.

Guardians of the Galaxy was actually emblematic of my problems with these movies, it has a super fun first half only to devolve into some of the most boring, hollow action I've seen on a big screen. It's the movie that told me that they weren't actually interested in using their bank from Avengers to make weird, interesting and fun movies and more just molding their different heroes to a template.

Sure these are my opinions but "well they work with audiences" and "they're not trying to be high art" are hardly strong defenses.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
This is what Scorese thinks is "cinema"

but this isn't.

He's a very smart, and talented man, with an impressive film resume but this opinion I can't take seriously.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I noted Ragnarok earlier as the one where I wouldn't quibble with calling it great. It's maybe the only strong third act of any MCU movie and actually has a nice subversive message too. Black Panther is almost up there too until it just falls apart at the end into bad CG and routine battle scenes.

Guardians of the Galaxy was actually emblematic of my problems with these movies, it has a super fun first half only to devolve into some of the most boring, hollow action I've seen on a big screen. It's the movie that told me that they weren't actually interested in using their bank from Avengers to make weird, interesting and fun movies and more just molding their different heroes to a template.

Sure these are my opinions but "well they work with audiences" and "they're not trying to be high art" are hardly strong defenses.

I'm not even defending anything. Why should I even have to? This is entirely subjective, there's nothing objective to be said about "they're not exciting", because that's the way you see it. Others see it another way. There's tons of people who think 2001 is a horribly boring film, but that doesn't make it a bad film, just one that's disliked by some people. Catch my drift?

And if you believe that GotG is formulaic and following a template, I really don't know what to tell you.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Joker plays at having "craft and pride" but does it so shallowly and some derivatively that it's obnoxious. It's a loud, Holden Caulfield-esque exercise in high school-level nihilism, relies on mental illness tropes so heavily it undermines its own purported intention to advocate for the mentally ill, and literally shouts its thesis at you in its climax. It's the definition of a story written by checklist to appear significant; in other words, "Oscar bait".

As for Nolan, you can't tell me The Dark Knight Rises is a deeper film than the majority of the MCU. Furthermore, a lot of the films you mentioned, save for Mad Max and Dredd, I would say have serious issues as far as action and staging and fight choreography.

This is an ultimately subjective category, but it feels like a lot of these movies are being eyed with rose tinted glasses while the MCU gets the "accentuate the negative" approach. It doesn't feel like anyone is arguing in good faith, and that we have to accept that the Marvel films are of lower quality in comparison to everything without anyone arguing to prove it. Just throw up a YouTube video or appeal to an authority like a popular critic, and that's all you need apparently.
I would fuckin want Oscar bait movies from MCU , give me that . And im not talking about the writing /story telling only, i am talking about direction , sound design , cinematography , performances . As clunky as TDKR was and it was fucking clunky with its dialogue and plot, it was still better made film than a lot of MCU stuff .
You are talking about rose tinted glasses? Then what do people wear while watching MCU stuff? Full on grocery bags?
Okay, you're obviously not at all interested in honest discourse. You do you.

I personally wouldn't be caught dead claiming that Logan or the Nolan Batmans are on another level. They're just touching different beats, if people like that, fine. I don't know where the notion that Marvel and Disney are dictating anything when it comes to modern movie making comes from. I don't see directors trying to be the MCU, at least not the ones with any sense of integrity.

You're asking squares to be circles, while I get why, I don't think every square needs to be a circle because it could be. They've their own flavour, some people love it, some people hate it, and that's fine.

I am asking for squares to be better squares, they have the talent and resources behind it . Why we, people who supports those movies have to be complacent with current offerings? MCU made great growth improving of their formula , especially when you look at phase 1 to current stuff. Why is it so wrong to ask for better from MCU? If they are okay with what they are doing and clearly its fucking working , is it so wrong to critique them on that same basis?
And as far as logan and bman goes , they are not on a completely different level, but they are much much more when it comes to giving something to the audiences .

Sep 12, 2018
I'm not even defending anything.

And if you believe that GotG is formulaic and following a template, I really don't know what to tell you.
????

You clearly like these movies enough to come back at my criticisms. Also it's objectively following a template setting up a group of heroes to come together in a big battle while putting the pieces in place for future movies. Sure the characters a little snarkier but they're being wielded in a similar way.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd be interested in seeing actual data about the cinema makeup of the MCU AND other blockbuster franchises compared to smaller and more unique titles. How has it changed over the years using concrete numbers?

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The man is allowed an opinion. He's not being horribly unfair or anything, but he does sound a bit get-off-my-lawn. Which isn't unexpected. People getting angry about his opinion are just being infantile.

As great a filmmaker as he is, it doesn't matter one iota what he thinks of these things, so folks should just let the man be.

Anyone is susceptible to criticism when talking shit.

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018

There it is.

"MCU isn't high art but thats ok..."

Who tf said they were lmao, stop downplaying how simple they are.

Your critique on the films action scenes are my biggest gripe. It's obvious that action isn't the focus, but with that budget and with those directors....

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Only someone like Lucas could create something as eternal as the prequel memes

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
????

You clearly like these movies enough to come back at my criticisms. Also it's objectively following a template setting up a group of heroes to come together in a big battle while putting the pieces in place for future movies. Sure the characters a little snarkier but they're being wielded in a similar way.

That's what a discussion is. Why the hell do I need to "defend" something? What do I have to lose? You like those films less than I do, bth of our opinions are entirely subjective. If you look at films at that broad a level of "x people come together in a showdown", every film becomes shallow and pointless. I refuse to do that.

I am asking for squares to be better squares, they have the talent and resources behind it . Why we, people who supports those movies have to be complacent with current offerings? MCU made great growth improving of their formula , especially when you look at phase 1 to current stuff. Why is it so wrong to ask for better from MCU? If they are okay with what they are doing and clearly its fucking working , is it so wrong to critique them on that same basis?
And as far as logan and bman goes , they are not on a completely different level, but they are much much more when it comes to giving something to the audiences .

Complacent? What? You can be content and take a film at face value for what it is without doing anything harmful. Maybe it's just that you, personally, want a different flavour of film?

Could they be better? Yes, everything can be improved and everyone should learn from mistakes. That doesn't mean they need to be Logans or Dark Knights. In the end we'll always disagree on this, I got enough films to scratch my itch on every level, I don't need my silly comic book films to scratch the same itch other films already scratch.

Sep 12, 2018
There it is.

"MCU isn't high art but thats ok..."

Who tf said they were lmao, stop downplaying how simple they are.

Your critique on the films action scenes are my biggest gripe. It's obvious that action isn't the focus, but with that budget and with those directors....
Imagine the people behind John Wick directing a Black Widow action scene and how much cooler that'd be than anything we've seen before in this series.

Sep 12, 2018
That's what a discussion is. Why the hell do I need to "defend" something? What do I have to lose? You like those films less than I do, bth of our opinions are entirely subjective. If you look at films at that broad a level of "x people come together in a showdown", every film becomes shallow and pointless. I refuse to do that.
I make an argument about how the quality of these movies is not what they could be, you try to counter it, that's a de facto defense of them. I don't know why you're quibbling with this.

Also not sure why you're constantly repeating "this is subjective" as if I haven't just been arguing my own perspective this whole time.

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Imagine the people behind John Wick directing a Black Widow action scene and how much cooler that'd be than anything we've seen before.

They'd do it justice for sure. Would be so stylish.

Only someone like Lucas could create something as eternal as the prequel memes

This but unironically. He may suck, but he had vision and they let him see it through. As a result, we got decades worth of jokes from it. I struggle to recall what happens in MCU films the morning after. Maybe it's different for people that grew up on Marvel comics who would rather something safe instead of the inconsistency of comic book movies outside of the MCU

Last edited:

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
I make an argument about how the quality of these movies is not what they could be, you try to counter it, that's a de facto defense of them. I don't know why you're quibbling with this.

Also not sure why you're constantly repeating "this is subjective" as if I haven't just been arguing my own perspective this whole time.

Not what it could be, varies. I agree they should try to have grander ambitions for a Logan or Dark Knight. However, WB and Fox have vastly less stability in quality control and lower lows when they fail. Which was often.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Saying "a children's book doesn't need to be Camus" isn't defending these films, it's saying those films don't need to be what you want them to be. They are what their makers want them to be, and that's aok. If they're not your cup of tea, then that's your deal.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Nah Marvel fans have the highest grossing movie of all time. Something neither Mr expert or Spielberg could achieve.
Are you a joke character? Spielberg has held the highest grossing movie record multiple times. Jaws, E.T. and Jurassic Park were all the biggest movie ever at some point. E.T. held the record for ten years until Spielberg beat himself with Jurassic Park. More or less the same the same thing James Cameron did with Titanic and Avatar.

Six. They didn't end with the OT, and then there's the expanded universe, which begun after the first movie.

88f8eae810fd661026244bee6ebf7d75.jpg

edit: There's the current Disney films, too. Which are post Lucas.

Please re-read the post I was answering to.

Sep 12, 2018
Saying "a children's book doesn't need to be Camus" isn't defending these films, it's saying those films don't need to be what you want them to be. They are what their makers want them to be, and that's aok. If they're not your cup of tea, then that's your deal.
For the fifteenth time, I'm not arguing they need to be Camus.