• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Okay so you clearly are not arguing in good faith and are just trolling.

Also where am I critiquing those movies? Not being a cinematic universe isn't a critique.

Saying that Harry Potter is a 8 movie fantasy series based on a book isn't "critique".

Do you actually know what critiquing is?
Yes, you are judging (i.e., critiquing) a movie series you have never seen based on a cursory Wiki write-up. Who's arguing in bad faith, again?

Moving goalposts when called on an erroneous statement is not a good look.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, you are judging (i.e., critiquing) a movie series you have never seen based on a cursory Wiki write-up. Who's arguing in bad faith, again?

Moving goalposts when called on an erroneous statement is not a good look.

Okay good that we cleared up that your just a troll. There is no good argument to happen here.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it does. In order to restrict or limit access to something, which is the definition of the term, you need to be in a position of power.

Marty, is not a gatekeeper.
I feel like he IS in a position of power since people are only backing this based on his filmography. Jennifer Aniston just got ignored when she tried. She didn't get two 20 page threads on the subject.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like he IS in a position of power since people are only backing this based on his filmography. Jennifer Aniston just got ignored when she tried. She didn't get two 20 page threads on the subject.

Just because you feel it doesn't make it real.

Again, Scorsese is not in a position to prevent Marvel films from being produced, sold, or distributed. He isn't even in a position to keep them from winning awards. He literally cannot be considered a gatekeeper by definition of the term.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

Can he restrict or limit the access of Marvel movies appearing in every theater on Earth? No? Then he's not in a position of power. You're confusing recognition with power. You can be a Noble Prize winning economist but ultimately have zero power in actually implementing economic policies. You have recognition and/or respect, but no power. Meanwhile, someone can have plenty of power but little respect ie Trump.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't the entirety of the Kardashians' existence based on power gained from pure recognition?

What in God's name are you blabbering about? What does that have to do with anything?

Again, can Martin Scorsese restrict or limit the access of Marvel movies appearing in every theater on Earth? Can he stop any Marvel film from being made? No? Then he's not in a position of power. Period.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the marvel movies weren't all paced and structured the exact same way (Because they discovered a formula which makes $$$$$) I could see an argument how they aren't amusement rides but that isn't the case

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What in God's name are you blabbering about? What does that have to do with anything?

Again, can Martin Scorsese restrict or limit the access of Marvel movies appearing in every theater on Earth? Can he stop any Marvel film from being made? No? Then he's not in a position of power. Period.
Well, I suppose he could stop them from coming back since he's got a decent amount of power in film preservation

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
4 out of the 10 highest grossing movies of all time are Marvel movies.

2 out of 5 highest grossing movies of all time are Marvel movies from the same directors.

22.585 billion of 23 movies. That's 983 million average.

Last Spielberg movie was Ready Player One. Last Scorsese movie is financed by Netflix so this "real cinema" talk is funny to me.

this is one of the most pathetic posts i've ever seen on the internet so congrats for something

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
Yes and the successor wouldn't have the depth of knowledge and passion Feige has.

Dude is a legend

Dude is definitely a legend. Totally disagree there could be no one equal or better. Who knows who's waiting in the wings. And it's not like Fiege single handily makes these films. I was simply commenting on Marty's point about MCU movies not being filmmaker driven.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Dude is definitely a legend. Totally disagree there could be no one equal or better. Who knows who's waiting in the wings. And it's not like Fiege single handily makes these films. I was simply commenting on Marty's point about MCU movies not being filmmaker driven.

What's the difference between Marvel's Cinematic Universe attempt and everyone else's?

Feige is the man at Marvel period. He's the showrunner and he's irreplaceable

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I feel like it's a bigger issue than just theme park movies.

a lot of it is that ticket prices are incredibly expensive, with no sliding scale for ticket prices at most theaters, and film goers are completely free to decide what they want to spend their money on. Here in LA, most theaters are charging $25 a ticket. Some films I'd rather see at home. Some films I'd rather see in the theater.

for me, I really enjoy the aural and visual fun of a blockbuster in the theater, and I like the crowd excitement and spectacle of the audience as much as the movie itself. I feel that $25 a ticket, plus $7 for popcorn, and $6 for a drink is a lot to spend on smaller films that would probably be more enjoyable to watch at home. I don't go to the movies much in general, but the cost is the main reason why. So when I do, I want to feel like I'm getting my money's worth.

I really like Scorsese's movies, but trips to the theater aren't cheap, so I have to really pick and choose what I drop my $35-40 on. Although, to be completely honest, I'd rather spend that on a video game, so even blockbusters aren't enough to entice me to the theater.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

a lot of it is that ticket prices are incredibly expensive, with no sliding scale for ticket prices at most theaters, and film goers are completely free to decide what they want to spend their money on. Here in LA, most theaters are charging $25 a ticket. Some films I'd rather see at home. Some films I'd rather see in the theater.

for me, I really enjoy the aural and visual fun of a blockbuster in the theater, and I like the crowd excitement and spectacle of the audience as much as the movie itself. I feel that $25 a ticket, plus $7 for popcorn, and $6 for a drink is a lot to spend on smaller films that would probably be more enjoyable to watch at home. I don't go to the movies much in general, but the cost is the main reason why. So when I do, I want to feel like I'm getting my money's worth.

I really like Scorsese's movies, but trips to the theater aren't cheap, so I have to really pick and choose what I drop my $35-40 on. Although, to be completely honest, I'd rather spend that on a video game, so even blockbusters aren't enough to entice me to the theater.

I hear you, though MoviePass and later AMC A-List cured that problem for me. Then I had to move where only Regal Theaters dominate and now I'm back to your predicament.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I think that second point is very valid. Just two people hitting up the movies can be 49 bucks depending on where you live.

It's a massive part of the problem and something a lot aren't willing to talk about. When you factor in driving, paying for parking (depending on the area) and expensive theater food... why bother when you can wait three months to stream it? Movie theaters have to be competitive with the hundreds of ways for people to pay for entertainment nowadays. There is no easy answer because movie studios would never agree to lower prices for non-blockbuster movies. AMC et. al are trying subscription services, but I don't think those will save it either.

There isn't a market for these kinds of movies like there used to be and it's probably never coming back. The good news is more movies are made and movies are more accessible than ever.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
Wait, for real? 25$ for a movie ticket? Is it common in California/US? This gives me a completely new prospective on the subject.

Here in Italy the average price is 7-8€ and some days in certain theatres (usually on tuesday and wednesday) you can watch movies for 4-5€.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I hear you, though MoviePass and later AMC A-List cured that problem for me. Then I had to move where only Regal Theaters dominate and now I'm back to your predicament.

if it wasn't for a-list i wouldn't go to the movies as much. my local art house theater does a 100% unlimited screening one (with free popcorn!) for $25 a month and I'm about to jump on it tbh.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Wait, for real? 25$ for a movie ticket? Is it common in California/US? This gives me a completely new prospective on the subject.

Here in Italy the average price is 7-8€ and some days in certain theatres (usually on tuesday and wednesday) you can watch movies for 4-5€.

I think that means IMAX. A normal ticket can easily cost 13 bucks here though.

Most I have spent for a movie ticket was $19 for an IMAX 3D ticket.

Where the fuck are you getting charged $25?

Welcome to California mate. (Probably more like 22 though.)

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't go to the theater for anything that isn't a high-budget "theater" experience, which for me means things which take advantage of the large screen; detailed special effects, basically. It's too expensive to go for anything else, and our ticket prices are nowhere near $25.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I figured it out. This is all part of a longterm plan to be allowed to direct an MCU film by Scorcese. Anniston tried it, but she failed.

Scorcese to do the Fantastic Four reboot. You heard it here first.

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
What's the difference between Marvel's Cinematic Universe attempt and everyone else's?

Feige is the man at Marvel period. He's the showrunner and he's irreplaceable

That's my point. That's Marty's point. He is eminently replaceable. It would suck but he would be replaced quickly and effectively. Nothing stops the MCU money train, especially now it's Disney owned. If you think otherwise we'll just agree to disagree.

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
Phantom menace gets talked about as it's Star Wars, also it's talked about in the same way like, godfather 3 is talked about. Not in a great light.
Black panther is would argue would be talked about for its status as a huge and powerful black American film. Which is deserved and great. But I still think it's a way off being remembered for its status as a piece of cinema. Close with some of the killmonger stuff (especially his death scene) but yeah.

That said I could be wrong- all of us could be. We won't know for a while. But marvel I feel will be known for its sales first, and then some of the cinematic stuff a distant second.
people still talk about Darth maul, the soundtrack, and last duel so you are right but also missing some stuff.

the storytelling elements in black panther, great villain, soundtrack, memes, and etc will last. Sure sales will always be talked about first for people who care about that but there is plenty to Black Panther than "monumental black film"

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's definitely involved creatively in planning out the rough direction and who the players are going to be.

That's one of the worst aspects of the MCU. Women are 50% of the population but they wait like 20 movies to make one about a woman. Then in the next movie the climax grinds to a halt so that they can literally trot out all of their half-developed women characters at once and pat themselves on the back for finally being inclusive. Or Civil War being more bloated than Spider-Man 3 because they decided to introduce 2 major characters in an already bloated movie, without so much as an emo dance number to break up the monotony. Or making nearly every villain a toothless chump that has about 20 minutes of screentime from origin to death.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
4 out of the 10 highest grossing movies of all time are Marvel movies.

2 out of 5 highest grossing movies of all time are Marvel movies from the same directors.

22.585 billion of 23 movies. That's 983 million average.

Last Spielberg movie was Ready Player One. Last Scorsese movie is financed by Netflix so this "real cinema" talk is funny to me.

Yikes

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
That's one of the worst aspects of the MCU. Women are 50% of the population but they wait like 20 movies to make one about a woman. Then in the next movie the climax grinds to a halt so that they can literally trot out all of their half-developed women characters at once and pat themselves on the back for finally being inclusive. Or Civil War being more bloated than Spider-Man 3 because they decided to introduce 2 major characters in an already bloated movie, without so much as an emo dance number to break up the monotony. Or making nearly every villain a toothless chump that has about 20 minutes of screentime from origin to death.

You do realize that Feige wanted to do a Black Widow movie after Iron Man 2 but couldn't due to Ike "Women and black people movies don't sell" Perlmutter. So it's not like he didn't want to.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Lmao and what message is that?

giphy.gif

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So when something is good Feige gets the credit but when it's bad Perlmutter gets the blame got it.

In this case? Yes? Dude literally went to Iger and said he'd quit if he had to keep going through Perlmutter and so Disney in response took Marvel Studios out from under Perlmutter's control and allowed Marvel Studios to report directly to Alan Horn rather than Perlmutter. And the movies started to push for more diversity because he didn't have to get Ike's approval.

Last edited:

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
That's my point. That's Marty's point. He is eminently replaceable. It would suck but he would be replaced quickly and effectively. Nothing stops the MCU money train, especially now it's Disney owned. If you think otherwise we'll just agree to disagree.

And it would falter.

That's my point.

Feige is not eminently replacable.

The MCU is literally his baby.

If he's so not neccessary than how come fucking no one else has had any success with a cinematic universe?

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In this case? Yes? Dude literally went to Iger and said he'd quit if he had to keep going through Perlmutter and so Disney in response took Marvel Studios out from under Perlmutter's control and allowed Marvel Studios to report directly to Iger rather than Perlmutter. And the movies started to push for more diversity because he didn't have to get Ike's approval.

Guess he should have fought harder sooner because the end result is embarrassingly regressive for the time period it came out ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Guess he should have fought harder sooner because the end result is embarrassingly regressive for the time period it came out ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I mean he did fight harder... It's why he almost threatened to quit because Ike didn't budge. And it's not like Feige could have pulled what he did just after Iron Man 2. The MCU was still in it's infancy, it was making money but it wasn't making all of the money.

I think you highly overestimate Feige's control when the MCU just started out.