• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Then you're seriously missing something. If a comparison invokes something so politically charged, you're more or less bringing all that with it. No one is gonna read an image like this and go "Ha ha, it's funny because they're both over-sensitive", they're going to think that the two groups share values in the eyes of whomever created it.

Exactly. Not to mention even trying to imply the levels of self righteousness and hatred that the MAGA camp subscribes to in their self-victimization.

yepyepyep

Oct 25, 2017
Do not tell me how to feel. You're the one defending a Nazi comparison as "It's just a joke". You've no authority on if I did, or did not get it, simply because you agree with the meme and find it funny. So miss me with your shitty ass smokescreens trying to talk a toxic meme into something harmless.

PS: I'm familiar with Kiarostami's films. They're a much bigger deal here than they seem to be in America. Thanks for trying to outsnob me, though, it's kind of cute.

Which is your favourite Kiarostami film? I am quite partial to Close Up and Certified Copy.

yepyepyep

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Defending an inflammatory point of comparison over multiple posts
Then you're seriously missing something. If a comparison invokes something so politically charged, you're more or less bringing all that with it. No one is gonna read an image like this and go "Ha ha, it's funny because they're both over-sensitive", they're going to think that the two groups share values in the eyes of whomever created it.

Well it appears we have a different sense of humour I guess. It's a silly meme making fun of sensitivity within groups. One of the punchlines is the oversensitivity of MAGA people so I am not sure why I am being accused of racism lol.

yepyepyep

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to give you English titles, because I genuinely don't know them, but طعم گيلاس has been one of my favourites.
You know, I quite liked Taste of Cherry on my first watch, but on a rewatch it didn't have the same initial impact. I do love his obsession with shooting moments within cars though. 10 (dah I think is Farsi title?) is amazing.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Well it appears we have a different sense of humour I guess. It's a silly meme making fun of sensitivity within groups. One of the punchlines is the oversensitivity of MAGA people so I am not sure why I am being accused of racism lol.

I don't think you're racist, no, but you're kind of being obtuse about such a loaded comparison

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
One must be really fucking stupid to read it like that, like really.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

No one accused you of racism, what're you even going on about?

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
One must be really fucking stupid to read it like that, like really.

I would suspect it's actually pretty common. The whole thing is just a clumsy ad hominem anyway, designed to invoke a bad thing for the purposes of emotional response and tie it to the group that one is dissatisfied with.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I would suspect it's actually pretty common. The whole thing is just a clumsy ad hominem anyway, designed to invoke a bad thing for the purposes of emotional response and tie it to the group that one is dissatisfied with.
I just mean that it's spelled out in the picture, what the similarity is. It's not exactly vague. The tweet was shared in this specific thread, which also gives it further context. Then somebody jumping to "what, are you calling me a bigot??" has to be an idiot. Of course it's not a flattering comparison though, so I get why someone would still be upset by it. I wouldn't like to be compared to MAGA:s or GG either, when I criticize Captain Marvel, Last Jedi or Ghostbusters.

Last edited:

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Drop the metacommentary on MCU fans and get back on topic.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
How many credentials do I need to not see Shutter Island as ableist shlock?
Shutter Island is ableist? I actually prefer it to anything Marty made in a new century till Silence came out. Never had a feeling that it was prejudiced against anyone and von Sydow's character is more or less an antagonist of the film.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Shutter Island is ableist? I actually prefer it to anything Marty made in a new century till Silence came out. Never had a feeling that it was prejudiced against anyone and von Sydow's character is more or less an antagonist of the film.

please whatever you do don't get him going on this one again

mjp2417

Nov 2, 2017
Martin Scorsese saying mean things about the Marvel Extended Universe is not going to drive folks away from watching Iranian art films y'all

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Martin Scorsese saying mean things about the Marvel Extended Universe is not going to drive folks away from watching Iranian art films y'all

Cinema elitism is. Been working in a rental store with a massive arthaus selection for long enough to know. It's not like snobbery is a new concept, or even related to Scorcese. Know plenty of snobs who'd laugh at someone suggesting a Scorcese as an Artsy film.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Cinema elitism is. Been working in a rental store with a massive arthaus selection for long enough to know. It's not like snobbery is a new concept, or even related to Scorcese. Know plenty of snobs who'd laugh at someone suggesting a Scorcese as an Artsy film.
Yeah that's actually one thing that has been bit confusing for me in these discussions, how Scorsese films have been called "pretentious" too. I don't really like that word to begin with, as it's often just means "I don't get it", but people rather blame the film for it. But Scorsese films are actually very easily approachable, often very entertaining, with wide mainstream appeal. Still there's of course great artistry behind the films, yet they're pretty straightforward and you don't need to even catch on any symbolism to enjoy them. Being easy to digest, is definitely one of the reasons I personally prefer Scorsese over many other master filmmakers.

Last edited:

TiC

Banned
Jul 12, 2019
Do the posters that try to downplay Scorsese's work realize how foolish they seem? Literally every single producer, director, and crew involved in the MCU has been influenced by him in some way. He is like a Leonardo da Vinci or a Mozart in this field. He will be remembered for as long as cinema is studied.

Knock his opinion or dislike his filmography, that's fine, to say he is less important or jealous of Marvel is ludicrous, not to mention that one who mixed him up with Coppola. By the way, Coppola is magnificent and also an all-time great, earlier poster I can't remember your username.

Last edited:

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
He is like a Van Gogh
That's bit on the nose
nuUBzHv.jpg

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Do the posters that try to downplay Scorsese's work realize how foolish they seem? Literally every single producer, director, and crew involved in the MCU has been influenced by him in some way. He is like a Van Gogh or a Mozart in this field. He will be remembered for as long as cinema is studied.

Knock his opinion or dislike his filmography, that's fine, to say he is less important or jealous of Marvel is ludicrous, not to mention that one who mixed him up with Coppola.

Were he like Van Gogh, no one would really care for his work until he's dead.

He's an amazing director, but the hyperbole really isn't helping. He's not God's Gift To Film, neither are the MCU directors, but I don't think anyone has actually tried to make that point with a straight face.

mjp2417

Nov 2, 2017
I'm gonna go ahead and guess that the couple who would have rented The Wind Will Carry Us but didn't because an American director said mean things about *checks notes* Thor: Ragnarok is a statistically unlikely phenomenon

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm gonna go ahead and guess that the couple who would have rented The Wind Will Carry Us but didn't because an American director said mean things about *checks notes* Thor: Ragnarok is a statistically unlikely phenomenon

You'd be surprised how much snobbery turns people off from movies. And this isn't about the director, are you following the thread or do you just feel like trolling?

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Hasn't mainstream cinema always been that though?

Most people just go to the movies to have a fun time an eat some popcorn.

For most. Yes. But I don't know, every decade or so we pretend that popcorn flicks are a brand new thing and that stuff like this JUST STARTED with whatever brand new trend is going.

His comments would be right at home in the 2000s; and the 1990s. Hes merely acting like its something new when it isn't. There is no invasion. Poppy shallow flicks were always the majority. ALWAYS.

mjp2417

Nov 2, 2017
You'd be surprised how much snobbery turns people off from movies. And this isn't about the director, are you following the thread or do you just feel like trolling?
Your argument is that Martin Scorsese criticizing Marvel movies will somehow prevent people from watching Abbas Kiorastami movies. I don't believe this to be the case. I don't believe this to be the case because (a) any hypothetical concrete scenario where this might occur seems fundamentally goofy and implausible (see above) and (b) this is completely orthoganal to the reason Kiarostami even has enough of an American audience to include someone like Scorsese. Like, the only reason people in the States even know who Kiarostami is is because elitist film snobs championed his stuff against Hollywood blockbusters in the 90's.

Last edited:

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017

Whether it's intentional or not, or depending on who the villain is, it relies on a lot of bad, outdated tropes about the mentally ill, same as Joker does.

Sep 12, 2018
My thing with the MCU is that while there's vision there it's more of a logistical than an artistic one. They're there to get asses in seats and dangle a carrot at the audience to ensure they'll show up next time too. I'd love if for just once Marvel Studios let a director just run wild without needing to put the pieces in place for 17 more movies and end with a green screen punchup or the team fighting a faceless CG alien horde. There's the sense that "okay Winter Soldier is their conspiracy thriller, Homecoming is a high school movie" but they always stop short of embracing those genres by needing to be the other thing.

Like compare a movie like Far From Home to Into the Spider-Verse and you'll see the difference between something trying to dazzle audiences visually and one that's overloaded with franchise planning/padding that it feels like you're watching something more like producers laying their cards down than a great movie in its own right.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Your argument is that Martin Scorsese criticizing Marvel movies will somehow prevent people from watching Abbas Kiorastami movies. I don't believe this to be the case. I don't believe this to be the case because (a) any hypothetical concrete scenario where this might occur seems fundamentally goofy and implausible (see above) and (b) this is completely orthoganal to the reason Kiarostami even has enough of an American audience to include someone like Scorsese. Like, the only reason people in the States even know who Kiarostami is is because elitist film snobs championed his stuff against Hollywood blockbusters in the 90's.

That's... not my argument at all.

You should maybe read the thread more carefully.

My thing with the MCU is that while there's vision there it's more of a logistical than an artistic one. They're there to get asses in seats and dangle a carrot at the audience to ensure they'll show up next time too. I'd love if for just once Marvel Studios let a director just run wild without needing to put the pieces in place for 17 more movies and end with a green screen punchup or the team fighting a faceless CG alien horde. There's the sense that "okay Winter Soldier is their conspiracy thriller, Homecoming is a high school movie" but they always stop short of embracing those genres by needing to be the other thing.

Like compare a movie like Far From Home to Into the Spider-Verse and you'll see the difference between something trying to dazzle audiences visually and one that's overloaded with franchise planning/padding that it feels like you're watching something more like producers laying their cards down than a great movie in its own right.

But they did let directors run wild, and are doing so much more, recently. See Guardians 1, Guardians 2, as well as Thor Ragnarok and Black Panther. They let those guys do what they envisioned and they turned up the best MCU films. What you're complaining about, ultimately, is the caveat to any sort of Superhero movie. You need to have the big climax, and you'll always get it. But that's not really limited to the Superhero genre, either, see stuff like Star Wars.

You can't compare FFH to Spider-Verse, because that's an entirely different genre, with an entirely different batch of possibilities - They could absoluely have made something Spider-Verse like, but that's not where they want to take the character, and that's okay. We got both, they're not competition.

Last edited:

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get it, people really think there's no vision behind MCU? If the success was so easily acheivable, then why this ship hasn't sailed before Feige came on board?

When the Sony stuff was happening I saw folks call those having faith in Marvel and not Sony being called Disney stans, not me, the only person I have absolute faith in this comic book movie industry is Feige. Disney loses Feige I lose total faith in the MCU period.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That's because they aren't artsy and got nothing to do with snobbery. He sticks to conventional methodologies with traditional storytelling formats, his films have artistic elements as all films do but he keeps the audience in mind and are palatable films to the masses, if you miss the symbolism of the cars in Goodfellas it is still a very good film. Art films usually follow an idea or concept in spite of tradition and demand things of viewers, they might be uncomfortable to watch or require a knowledge of a subject, It also doesn't mean they are elitist either as they cover all kinds of subjects and can be very low brow, it's just an approach to film that some prefer.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
My thing with the MCU is that while there's vision there it's more of a logistical than an artistic one. They're there to get asses in seats and dangle a carrot at the audience to ensure they'll show up next time too.
Logistical vision doesn't bring asses in seats after 20+ movies. If audience didn't like what MCU offers their films wouldn't be nearly as popular as they're.
When the Sony stuff was happening I saw folks call those having faith in Marvel and not Sony being called Disney stans, not me, the only person I have absolute faith in this comic book movie industry is Feige. Disney loses Feige I lose total faith in the MCU period.
Yep. Just look at the Marvel television in comparison, Loeb and co. aren't anywhere close to Feige's output in terms of consistency.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
That's because they aren't artsy and got nothing to do with snobbery. He sticks to conventional methodologies with traditional storytelling formats, his films have artistic elements as all films do but he keeps the audience in mind and are palatable films to the masses, if you miss the symbolism of the cars in Goodfellas it is still a very good film. Art films usually follow an idea or concept in spite of tradition and demand things of viewers, they might be uncomfortable to watch or require a knowledge of a subject, It also doesn't mean they are elitist either as they cover all kinds of subjects and can be very low brow, it's just an approach to film that some prefer.

How, when typing all of this up, did you miss that "snob" and "elistist" were referring to people, and not his films?

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Let's all calm down and watch the greatest scene from Goodfellas. "Looks like someone we know."

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
You can't compare FFH to Spider-Verse, because that's an entirely different genre, with an entirely different batch of possibilities - They could absoluely have made something Spider-Verse like, but that's not where they want to take the character, and that's okay. We got both, they're not competition.

It's amazing how much this gets missed. People legit treat Spider-Man movies like console wars. It's absolutely baffling.