• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017

Martin Scorsese has doubled down on his comments about Marvel movies, insisting there has been an 'invasion of theme park' films in cinemas.

The director has previously said that Marvel's output of superhero movies are 'not cinema' and that he has tried to watch them but failed, however, taking questions after delivering Bafta's David Lean lecture at the Royal Opera House on Saturday, he discussed getting his new movie, The Irishman, financed by Netflix.

'Where do young people go to get their films financed now? I have no idea. They are not going to go to a Hollywood studio,' he said.

And then when you get it made, where is it going to be shown, when the theatres are all being taken over by the theme park films? Theatres have become amusement parks. That is all fine and good but don't invade everything else in that sense.

'That is fine and good for those who enjoy that type of film and, by the way, knowing what goes into them now, I admire what they do. It's not my kind of thing, it simply is not. It's creating another kind of audience that thinks cinemas is that.

'If you have a child and the child wants to see the picture, what are you going to do? It's up to you. The audience that sees them now, the fans that see those pictures now, they were raised on pictures like that.'

He added: 'The technique is very well done but there is only one Spielberg, there is only one Lucas, James Cameron, it's a different thing now.

'It's an invasion, so to speak, in the theatre.'

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
I enjoy the marvel movies for what they are, but I kind of see his point

Oct 29, 2017
Eh, not a good look for Scorsese IMO. But it's a harmless critique/opinion as far as I'm concerned. Calling it an invasion though is a little extreme.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I don't know why Marvel fans took this as some great insult to the most popular media franchise on planet Earth and why film snobs took this as some validation of Marvel as commercial dreck.

His concerns should probably be directed to the fact that the theater experience is too expensive for most people to justify seeing anything but the biggest and baddest movies on the screen. This isn't the 1980s anymore.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I get what he's saying, but were people really going out in droves to see Scorsese's kind of movie before the rise of the superhero movie, or did superhero movies create a brand new audience and revitalize a sagging box office rather than steal business from more artsy movies?

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
It seems odd to slam Marvel for making 'theme park' movies, then to immediately praise James Cameron - who made the biggest movie of all time by making a three-hour amusement park ride.

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
I mean some of the MCU films can be seen as being on the same level as say Termiantor 2 or other classics by these guys

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
source.gif

there's only one lucas

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
And then when you get it made, where is it going to be shown, when the theatres are all being taken over by the theme park films? Theatres have become amusement parks. That is all fine and good but don't invade everything else in that sense.

This is... Always how it's been?

Like this was a weird addition to his whole thing. There is hundreds of movies to premiere every year that aren't big blockbusters. But blockbusters have ALWAYS done good and dominated theaters. It is not some new phenomenon.

Also for someone's who next movie will primarily be seen on Netflix, it's weird that his has this huge focus on theaters when tons of lesser known movies that might have struggled at theaters can survive on services such as Netflix because now it's more affordable for people to see. People are more willing to give a lot of movies a shot that they wouldn't have otherwise seen.

That in my feeling is the closest he has gotten to: "Old man yelling at clouds"

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I get what he's saying, but were people really going out in droves to see Scorsese's kind of movie before the rise of the superhero movie, or did superhero movies create a brand new audience and revitalize a sagging box office rather than steal business from more artsy movies?
Yea things weren't great in the 2000's.

Oct 25, 2017
So another person who has an idea of what something should be and then what things don't conform exactly to that, it is a problem.

Oh well I'll continue to enjoy what I enjoy, and that includes films made by Marty.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
In for another 20page thread of unchecked ageism, downplaying of Scorsese's films, and bafflingly propping up cookie cutter MCU films (like Captain Marvel) as stirring, prime examples of the art form at its peak

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To go to the theater today with drink, snack etc. is close to $30 a person in my area. You can bet your ass at that sort of investment that I am only going to be going for those mass market blockbusters. Maybe on a streaming service eventually I will watch the more experimental films etc.

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
In for another 20page thread of unchecked ageism, downplaying of Scorsese's films, and bafflingly propping up cookie cutter MCU films (like Captain Marvel) as stirring, prime examples of the art form at its peak
i seen a couple of that on twitter

some people were saying that Scorsese's movies are just "violent white men with guns"

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Whenever a director complains about Marvel movies they always sound jealous, whether they actually are or not.

Lol at propping up Lucas though, like Star Wars isn't just a really well-made franchise with B-movie writing.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Everyone I work with laments the death of the theater experience and likes to throw the blame at Marvel's feet but audiences aren't seeing other movies because of cost. It really is that simple. A family of 5 with tickets and snacks is going to spend 100 bucks on an outing, they're not gonna watch something they can stream on Netflix in 3 months and get essentially the same experience. Even 10 years ago we had way less options for entertainment. No need to take your kid to the movies when they can watch Minecraft videos all day for free at home.

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
like what makes the action classics of those guys better than MCU

like what makes Terminator 2 better than Black Panther.. Black Panther has richer themes and more depth

what makes Jurassic Park better than Winter Soldier etc. etc.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't all those directors make similar popcorn movies? Some of the MCU ones are even better than theirs(GoTG and Winter Soldier are better than any Star Wars.)

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
The thing is he's calling the MCU theme park movies while at the same time praising Lucas (Star Wars), Spielberg (Jaws, Jurassic Park, Ready Player One), and James Cameron (Avatar). It's just for a new generation now.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hasn't mainstream cinema always been that though?

Most people just go to the movies to have a fun time an eat some popcorn.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Like I'm sure this is his genuine opinion but a director making broad statements about X popular thing before their movie comes out always feels like I'm being AstroTurfed. Like some marketing firm is trying to galvanize film/dad twitter against the great evil that is the MCU by watching the savior of cinema The Irishman on Netflix™.

Also, all those directors are great but it still reeks of gatekeeping when you say these type of movies inspired by b level serials from my childhood are cinema but this other stuff is not. Its just kind of silly.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
respect to RDJ for taking Marty's criticism in stride

joss Whedon melting down on Twitter over it was embarrassing

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
"That's right! We're here to burn your cities and eat your babies!" - Marvel Movies that exist in old people heads.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Hasn't mainstream cinema always been that though?

Most people just go to the movies to have a fun time an eat some popcorn.

Yes. There is this weird delusion that somehow Blockbusters being the main thing people saw in theaters only started happening in the last 10 or so years, when you know. It was always like that.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is he's calling the MCU theme park movies while at the same time praising Lucas (Star Wars), Spielberg (Jurassic Park, Ready Player One), and James Cameron (Avatar). It's just for a new generation now.

it's a film that's totally uninterested in anything that doesn't connect with the mass audience. There's no breather in the picture, no lyricism; the only attempt at beauty is in the double sunset. It's enjoyable on its own terms, but it's exhausting, too: like taking a pack of kids to the circus.

That's a direct quote from Pauline Kael's scathing review of Star Wars back in 1977. Its hilarious how history repeats and now Scorsese sounds just like the same stuck-up critics that shat on his friend's film all those years ago

ArcLyte

Nov 1, 2017
I love the MCU and own the entire Infinity Saga on UHD blu ray, but it is pure cinematic junk food, i don't think there's any arguing that. Scorsese is absolutely right.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017

There's a bunch of different factors going on. Movies in the theater are expensive, and rely on being out among the public who could very easily act like shit and ruin your whole, expensive experience. Meanwhile, prestige TV and streaming services have shown up and become go-to destinations for the types of experiences that people like Scorcese make, and quality home theater setups have gotten much more affordable. People like to view these more intimate stories in more intimate settings.

If you're going to go out to spend $12 to sit in front of a 50 foot screen with a hundred other people who probably won't shut up and let you follow the movie, you're going to want to see that massive screen used to surround you with spectacle.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
It's funny how he contradicts himself over and over again while giving his statement.

Marvel movies are not different than the blockbuster movies of back then. The men acknowledged by him were pioneers, but they made the same type of movies that you watch nowadays on the cinema.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
In a world where films like MM: Fury Road, Rogue One and Endgame exist, I certainly wouldn't argue that the likes of Lucas and Spielberg have a license on popcorn flicks, if that is what Martin is getting at.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Yes. There is this weird delusion that somehow Blockbusters being the main thing people saw in theaters only started happening in the last 10 or so years.

It's less that and more that movies besides blockbusters rarely make much money nowadays in general. Ten years ago movies like the Hangover made nearly 300 million domestic. The only comedy to even break 100 million domestic in the last few years was like, Crazy Rich Asians.

but why do we praise T2 as the greatest action movie

why can't any MCU movie match it?

Well, as an MCU fan and someone who has T2 in their top ten, there are no action sequences or CGI as groundbreaking as the ones on display in T2. T2 has also stood the test of time where people still refer to it as one of the greatest action movies of all time. Will the MCU be similar? We'll have to see.