• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
People have done a hell of a lot worse than make dumb tweets and continue to get work, I'd be totally down for Marty's return. One of the few western composers that'd easily make a top 10 list for me.

He already left:

That's a shame, some of his tracks are up there with anything in the history of Halo.

I will never get bored of listening to this in particular.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
i love his music - seriously, there's some kind of hardwired connection in my brain that just makes the good chemicals whenever i hear that chant - but marty's a misogynist tool and can fuck right off.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Oh God damn it Marty -_-

ZsR1JIj.gif

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
It is clear that Martin O'Donnell has questionable views. This has been known a long time. While it was not a primary reason for his departure from Bungie, this was noted in the context of that affair as having created some friction with the rest of the otherwise dispositioned employees.

But let's look at his music objectively. Halo 1 and Halo 2 have absolutely spectacular soundtracks. Really great quality through and through, with both the soaring memorable themes but also a good diversity of tracks with some of the more subdued tracks being amongst the best. He really nailed a great sound to those soundtracks, that was great then and is still great now.

Conversely, I don't think Halo has lived up to that level of quality since his departure. Yes, there are a couple of hits, mainly in Halo 5 such as the intro music (Light is Green) and The Trials, but there is a lot of just plain fluff, especially in Halo 4. It was not memorable to me at all for the most part.

So, yes, if he could come back to compose for the next Halo that would be great as far as I'm concerned. I don't have to like his stupid views to enjoy the music.

∀∃:ETURNA

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, Marty's time with the series is up. Kazuma Jinnouchi did a stellar job with Halo 4 and 5, and I'm really looking forward to hearing his work in Halo Infinite. Very curious and excited as to who 343 Industries will bring in to score future titles!

Oct 27, 2017
Halo 4/5 OST sucked. People try and pretend like it was decent but it wasn't. It's mediocre at best. They need to do something

Everything about those games SUCKED music too.... I have 0 faith in Halo infinite.... I doubt Marty even would/wants to go back... He is rich AF from bungie stocks, not like he needs the money. Hell even bungie's music hasn't been 1/10 as good... just a few tracks here and there that stand out.. but most of Destiny 2's music has been completely forgettable. But I will always love Marty's music no matter what he himself likes or dislikes.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea what the gillette thing is about because people in this forum don't seem to like giving others context but this right here I can't abide by
I mean you could Google "gilette ad" and probably get to the bottom of it in 30 seconds. It was a pretty huge blow up not too long ago.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I think there's way too many talented composers working in the field today to have such a closed mind as to who gets to work on Halo music in the future. Marty's music is iconic even if he's a dick, Kaz did a pretty good job with 4 and 5. Let someone new have a shot.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the bump, but this kind of paints a clearer reason why Microsoft do not want to work with Marty anymore.

He also made some not so positive comments late last year regarding the Halo Infinite composers not giving him credit.

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
To be fair, if every person ResetERA had some problem with was cancelled, Keanu Reeves would be the only person left.

Yeah because Keanu is the only one. Guys like Hugh Jackman, Benedict Cumberbatch etc. don't exist.

Back on topic, I think we should let go of the past. It rarely works out. I'm cautiously optimistic about the current composer.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah because Keanu is the only one. Guys like Hugh Jackman, Benedict Cumberbatch etc. don't exist.

Back on topic, I think we should let go of the past. It rarely works out. I'm cautiously optimistic about the current composer.

Off topic but Hugh Jackman is like BFFs with Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner so maybe not the best example.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
As amazing as Music of the Spheres was - Skye Lewin and Michael Salvatori have been outstanding.

Michael Salvatore and Skye Lewin are fucking amazing.

They created my favorite destiny theme

so simple but damn its powerful, I remember just recollecting my thoughts in orbit at 2am around this piece. It really makes you think and ponder about the world, lore and the people you have fought with along the way,

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the bump, but this kind of paints a clearer reason why Microsoft do not want to work with Marty anymore.

He also made some not so positive comments late last year regarding the Halo Infinite composers not giving him credit.

I swear to everything baby jesus, as soon as I saw this thread, I had the thought, "I bet this is Cranster bumping after the recent Marty/Reddit fued" and holy shit lol, I was right 🤪

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Michael Salvatore and Skye Lewin are fucking amazing.

They created my favorite destiny theme

so simple but damn its powerful, I remember just recollecting my thoughts in orbit at 2am around this piece. It really makes you think and ponder about the world, lore and the people you have fought with along the way,

As recently as 3 months ago -they gave us this.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago

lol this is so sad on his part. gasping for relevance.

driqe

Jan 21, 2021
Just realized this was posted before they released 3 songs from the soundtrack

I forgive you

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Marty being a complete asshat + the tracks from Infinite we've heard being amazing make me not care less about him being gone.

Let him stay irrelevant. And for his work at Bungie, Michael Salvatori and Skye Lewin have more than demonstrated that Marty's hits on Halo (and D1) were a team effort that he was only a fragment of.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the dude is literally a self-admitted conservative, his Wikipedia article even talks about how Bungie employees called him the most right-leaning person at the company. It's obvious why Microsoft hasn't brought him back.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
Yeah the dude is literally a self-admitted conservative, his Wikipedia article even talks about how Bungie employees called him the most right-leaning person at the company. It's obvious why Microsoft hasn't brought him back.
Yeah, and he seems to really like doing interviews where people praise him. It is kind of pathetic to watch recent interviews where he says stuff like, "I can't believe they didn't contact me for how to do the music for the remakes, I could have told them how it was actually done," and then the interviewers just fawn over him and act like he has been horribly wronged.

That and the whole shitting on infinite composers for not crediting him enough and mocking them for paying homage to the old songs with their names has really made me lose any respect for him.

I like his old work, it is a part of my childhood, but I think it is easy to see why people don't like working with him and why he hasn't been invited back to work on halo.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
Finding out Marty was a shit head was a legit blow to me. I idolized this man growing up. Can't even put your trust in a game composer, lol.

Marty is a genius at his craft but he has a long history of being a major thorn. I followed him on Twitter for a period of time and all he did was bash young people. The entire situation with his exit from Bungie was also a mess. Was he right about Activision being the wrong partner in many ways? Definitely. Did he handle it the right way? Definitely not and his point was ultimately lost because of it.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, honestly, yeah, seeing O'Donnell's public behavior post-Bungie has gone a LONG way in explaining why 343I forbid Saber Interactive from collaborating with him for remastering Halo 1 and 2's tracks.

The leadership at 343 Industries knew him and used their years of experience working with him to make an informed decision to not work with him going forward that noone in the Halo community outside of Bungie and 343 would have understood back in 2011 and 2014.