• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I need to get this game next month it looks really fun.

On the flip side how the hell are so many people giving serious replies to an obvious troll post lol

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
It's my first platinum ever. I probably wouldn't have bothered but I didn't have much extra to do once I beat the story.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's a niche, so it makes sense that only the hardcore picked it up.
PLEvfW7SDZY98SrQ-Pjhyc9EXAYej-h2YmDEASXPRq8wch-JZYk1edvfU8Zn2qxdrX_oWT8PFcxSs8TnE0mnMf0=s240

Niche-Man strikes again.

Metallia

May 31, 2018
I used to platinum games regularly but haven't done so since Gravity Rush 2 after finding regular work. Spider-Man seems like the first time since that I'll be getting a platinum. The game remained fun consistently while still feeling like it took some actual investment to get the platinum. They struck a good balance, though I guess it just helps for the game itself to feel good to play.

Elysiums

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
The fun thing is that after you finish the main story you are not that farm from the plat.

My only complaint is that crimes should be in lower numbers on every district to reach 100%. But I'm doing it anyway because it's simple fun.

One of the best things to swing around is listening Jameson interviews and commentary.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sad there was no additional grinding. I want to play it more.

/waits for DLC

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
A game's platinum % is a good indicator how good that game is, a platinum being hard or Easy isn't that important if it's not fun doing and with good games people get them to keep playing the game they enjoy after finishing it.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's not a challenging platinum, but it's certainly a fun one. Didn't feel like a slog or a grind to do most of the trophies and I wish more games did that.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
It's a pretty easy Platinum, and one of only three I've actually bothered to get this generation, the other two being Shenmue and Arkham Knight.

It's a little grindy at the end, but as far as open world trophy collecting goes, it was still pretty fun. Traversal and combat actually being decent certainly helps.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a pretty easy plat. Not that time consuming. The hardest part by far is having the patience (or stubbornness) to clear all those crimes.

Leek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A game's platinum % is a good indicator how good that game is, a platinum being hard or Easy isn't that important if it's not fun doing and with good games people get them to keep playing the game they enjoy after finishing it.

It's not, at all.

The percentage here is high because just by completing the story, you're within reaching distance of the platinum. It's short, easy, there's nothing to miss, the side content isn't a huge departure from the normal gameplay, and people are completing the majority of it by chance anyway. People are finishing it off because they might as well.

Meanwhile something like Yakuza 0 - which is quite frankly a masterpiece - only has a rarity of 0.5%. You complete the story and you're still about 100 hours away from getting the platinum, and you're required to do all sorts of things that couldn't be more different than the main gameplay. Such as gambling games, mahjong, old SEGA classics, half a dozen other minigames. None of that makes the game worse in any way, but it's not something most people are going to go out of their way to do for a trophy, assuming they even have 140 hours to spare.

Platinum percentage isn't really a good indicator of anything, but it certainly doesn't reflect the quality of a game.

SpookyLettuce

May 26, 2018
I usually don't go out of my way to get trophies (much less the platinum), but I got it for this one. It helps that it was easy to get — I was only missing a couple by the end of the story, and the traversal being so fun definitely made the more grindy trophies feel like less of a hassle.

I'm also so glad they didn't put in annoyingly minute trophies i.e. use X gadget Y number of times. It was my second platinum ever, with FFXV (which was also super easy to get in its initial release version) being the first.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
People obviously like playing as Spider-Man a lot, despite liking the game I really couldn't be bothered doing all the mundane repetitive stuff for the platinum.

yellow wallpaper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
First and probably last platinum I'll get. Easy to get, but monotonous at the end.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Cut that shit in half and make gold mandatory

Deleted member 21858

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hmmm not a fan of the repetitive content. Again, I only played for 3 hours (but watched a friend playing mid to the end game). I wish the game didn´t have collectibles, that shit plagues AAA games so much. Just get rod of them and use the time and resources for good, long side quests. I know it´s not the same and side quests would require more time, but activating towers and collecting backpacks is indeed very boring.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
If the core mechanics are fun, then people are willing to put up with a bunch of repetitive side content

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Platinum percentage isn't really a good indicator of anything, but it certainly doesn't reflect the quality of a game.

I disagree. A number of developers have pointed out that not a lot of people complete games nowadays. As it stands nearly half the people that have played Spider-Man (46.9%) have completed it. And of those 10% went as far as to do everything you could do in the game. So I think it says a lot about the game when that happens. Particularly when you're dealing with a game that's sold millions of copies.

Elysiums

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
I disagree. A number of developers have pointed out that not a lot of people complete games nowadays. As it stands nearly half the people that have played Spider-Man (46.9%) have completed it. And of those 10% went as far as to do everything you could do in the game. So I think it says a lot about the game when that happens. Particularly when you're dealing with a game that's sold millions of copies.

This

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
i played this game for 2 weeks and got the plat. Funny how some are worried about the time factor being so little overall for side content and story. I played the game for at least 10-15 hours that first weekend and feel like i was stilll sooooo early on.. Took me 2 weeks of playing every day enjoying it.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I got the platinum today. My first ever. But OP is right, alot of the trophies are side missions and such and it's testament to Insomniac how well they've crafted the game. The webbing, the combat, the feel of manhattan. It just made for such a good game and every part was enjoyable. Don't think I've ever enjoyed so many different aspects of a game so much as this one.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's amazing. I remember reading this dev talking about looking at the achievement stats on their own game and saying that something like 10% didn't even get the first achievement in the game, and it was for performing an action in the tutorial. Pick any game and you'll see stuff like "open a menu" or "kill your first enemy" and the completion percentage is like 85%.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
It's not, at all.

The percentage here is high because just by completing the story, you're within reaching distance of the platinum. It's short, easy, there's nothing to miss, the side content isn't a huge departure from the normal gameplay, and people are completing the majority of it by chance anyway. People are finishing it off because they might as well.

Meanwhile something like Yakuza 0 - which is quite frankly a masterpiece - only has a rarity of 0.5%. You complete the story and you're still about 100 hours away from getting the platinum, and you're required to do all sorts of things that couldn't be more different than the main gameplay. Such as gambling games, mahjong, old SEGA classics, half a dozen other minigames. None of that makes the game worse in any way, but it's not something most people are going to go out of their way to do for a trophy, assuming they even have 140 hours to spare.

Hmm, let me rephrase that.

It indicates more how fun a game is to play aside from the overall quality of the game. Personally when I'm done with a game's story but I can't get enough of how the game plays I'm more inclined to do all the extra stuff. I agree with you on Yakuza 0, it's a masterpiece but I had no intension to get every Majima sphere grid, or seek out every side missions for example because it was mainly running around and brawling. Let alone all the hostess, Majong and RC racing stuff, I had no patience for that in a time when a bunch of other great games were out.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
Its plat done right, easy and accessible enough to give a carrot after finishing the story. I really liked how GoW handled trophys as well.

Leek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I would put that down to ease and length of a game and its trophy list.

40% of people have completed The Last of Us' story. One of the most critically acclaimed games of last generation. Yet the platinum sits at 0.5%.

30% of people beat The Witcher 3 and only 1.1% went on to earn the platinum.

30% of people beat GTA 5 on PS3, and 0.4% got the platinum.

The most you can figure out from that is which platinum trophies actually test their players. Spider-man does not, so significantly more people have or are able to earn it.

Benjamin1981

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Went for the platinum myself. The trophies for this game are so well designed and easy to get. Tomb Raider on the other hand with bugged trophies related to the 400 in game collectibles and then on top the difficulty related trophies is so frustrating, i bet the platinum rate is under 5 %. Developers should take notice.

Deleted member 25128

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The poorly balanced Challenge (not enough of them) has stopped me so far from getting plat... on second play through to buy all the suits... which is making the game go down in fun a bit.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
That's high for something recent and with higher than usual sales too. I too have the plat. It's so easy to clean up after playing the main campaign so might as well since I am having fun. I even wish I can do some more things in this world.